Flappy Bird

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
User avatar
LightningFire
Posts: 1829
Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 22:55

You guys may have heard of this game. And you may know it's really frustrating. Instead of getting together as a comunity to rage about it, why don't we share our highest scores?

The only rule is that you have to post a picture of your high score so I know it's legit.
So here's mine:
Image
(You're supposed to be focusing on the best score)
(Also that high score is a platinum medal)
High-scores:
1st: LightningFire - 125
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
6th:
7th:
8th:
9th:
10th:
Last edited by LightningFire on 21 Feb 2014, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Firaga
Posts: 931
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 16:05

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 22:59

Dong Nguyen wrote:I am sorry 'Flappy Bird' users, 22 hours from now, I will take 'Flappy Bird' down. I cannot take this anymore.
Source

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:06

Uh, I wonder why would he do that? Is it because everyone is calling flappy bird a copy?
(It's funny, I just learned about this game today, and now apparently it's going down)

User avatar
LightningFire
Posts: 1829
Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:16

Automatik wrote:Uh, I wonder why would he do that? Is it because everyone is calling flappy bird a copy?
Well, these kind of games have been made repeatedly. But a small group of people wouldn't really mind it, since it's already pretty normal for it to happen. But Flappy Bird, for reasons that I still don't understand, exploded in popularity throughout the internet. And since it's popular, there's a lot of people playing it or had played it. And since there's a lot of people, there is bound to be trolls and haters. Those trolls and haters probably started saying bad things about the game, sending a bunch of hate mail and death treads (because people just doesn't have anything more interesting to do) and bothering the creator until he couldn't take it anymore. So then he decided to take the game down.

That's what I think is happening anyways.

User avatar
WillWare
Posts: 1234
Joined: 08 Mar 2012, 04:35

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:27

Automatik wrote:Uh, I wonder why would he do that? Is it because everyone is calling flappy bird a copy?
(It's funny, I just learned about this game today, and now apparently it's going down)
I'm guessing it's a mix of attention and introversion. Lots of pressure, both positive and negative, can be tiring.

User avatar
Sašo
Stabyourself.net
Posts: 1422
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 12:07

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:27

https://twitter.com/dongatory/statuses/ ... 6854912000
I can call 'Flappy Bird' is a success of mine. But it also ruins my simple life. So now I hate it.
Basically he made loads of money, got media attention and became well known.

The downside is that suddenly getting a lot of money brings more problems than it solves, more media attention means more (usually unwarranted) harsh criticism of someone not only as a developer but also as a person, and being well known just makes people hate you for being well known, people just start hanging on every word you say. Seriously, look at how many sites posted about his TWEETS. That puts on a lot of pressure.

Can't blame him.

Also:
[22:25:12] Maurice Guégan: yeah I saw
[22:25:14] Maurice Guégan: pretty sad
[22:25:33] Maurice Guégan: another victim of the shittiest userbase there is.

User avatar
Dav999
Posts: 64
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 16:43

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:33

Some people around me play it way too much. I've heard of scores above 200 from friends but in Game Center all top scores are 9999...

Something tells me it went out of hand, someone even killed his brother over the game...
Last edited by Dav999 on 08 Feb 2014, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HansAgain
Posts: 1103
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:33

Now i want to ask, are there persons who "hates" Maurice for making Mari0, or Not Tetris, or Not Pac-man?

About the Flappy Bird game: I never heard of it, i never played it, but i just have watched a video. No, i don't want to play it.

User avatar
LightningFire
Posts: 1829
Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:43

Dav999 wrote:Some people around me play it way too much. I've heard of scores above 200 from friends but in Game Center all top scores are 9999...
There's a lot of people with jailbroken devices, you know?
Hans1998 wrote:Now i want to ask, are there persons who "hates" Maurice for making Mari0, or Not Tetris, or Not Pac-man?
It depends on the popularity. I would say yes, since all of his games would bring different kinds of haters.

User avatar
Sašo
Stabyourself.net
Posts: 1422
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 12:07

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:52

Hans1998 wrote:Now i want to ask, are there persons who "hates" Maurice for making Mari0, or Not Tetris, or Not Pac-man?

About the Flappy Bird game: I never heard of it, i never played it, but i just have watched a video. No, i don't want to play it.
We never really got any hatemail and the worst I've found so far is how the games are either "simple romhacks" (which is completely wrong) or just "reused concepts" (which is true, but not really worth mentioning).

B-Man99
Posts: 1868
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32

Post » 08 Feb 2014, 23:59

Firaga wrote:
Dong Nguyen wrote:I am sorry 'Flappy Bird' users, 22 hours from now, I will take 'Flappy Bird' down. I cannot take this anymore.
Source
Wow. I play the game on my friend's iPod in homeroom but I never thought much of it and didn't bother downloading it. She told me that the developer once said that he wouldn't let people pay to remove ads because he couldn't imagine people paying to play it. If that's true then I have a decent amount of respect for the guy, it sucks to see that this kind of overwhelming problem happened because of a simple iPod app. I didn't realize it was this popular either.
...Will the people that already have it on their iPods just not have it? Some tech savvies may be able to save a backup onto their computer, but I'm terrible with iOS stuff, so I wouldn't know how.

User avatar
Dav999
Posts: 64
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 16:43

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 00:07

People who already have it on their device would still have it (on iOS at least). That way, the game would still be popular for a bit and slowly disappear as people get new devices or delete the game.

User avatar
TheSeek
Posts: 486
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 06:31

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 00:30

Dav999 wrote:People who already have it on their device would still have it (on iOS at least).
On android too, and whoever has a rooted android device can rebuild the original .apk and share it.

User avatar
TripleXero
Posts: 892
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 00:23

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 08:01

I'd like to say, you most likely don't have to even jailbreak to get 9999 scores. On Hill Climb Racing, it's as easy as editing a .txt file

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 09:03

and quite how are you going to edit that txt file on an unjailbroken iphone gosh some people are rather silly

User avatar
TripleXero
Posts: 892
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 00:23

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 09:41

My phone wasn't jailbroken when I did that before, I don't think it needs to be jailbroken to mess with the save files

User avatar
Dav999
Posts: 64
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 16:43

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 10:33

TripleXero wrote:I don't think it needs to be jailbroken to mess with the save files
This is true, unless the score is encrypted. There's a program by Apple called iPhone Configuration Utility that lets you modify files in any app, and I've even used it to install WhatsApp on an iPod one time (which isn't possible normally, it ran but was locked to iPhones anyway) and to translate an entire app of which the language strings were stored in .txt files! Surely many developers have thought about this, and encrypt the scores. I'm going to check what's possible to change in Flappy Bird, because I'm curious now.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 19:39

The game gained popularity because people were comparing scores.
I haven't played it, but I've seen it on phone screens dozens of times.
And they freakin' took Mario's pipe design.
That being said, I think they've learned their lesson from all of this.

User avatar
Qcode
Posts: 1472
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 18:00

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 20:25

imaginary cake wrote: And they freakin' took Mario's pipe design.
Yeah, wouldn't want any games with pipes in them, that's known Nintendo copyright.

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 21:15

imaginary cake wrote:And they freakin' took Mario's pipe design.
That being said, I think they've learned their lesson from all of this.
"They" It's just one person.
Also what's wrong with a reference? No one is gonna think when seeing this "Oh it's by nintendo."
And what the lesson would be? "Stop making games"? "Stop making references to games"?(Super meat boy does it and no one is yelling on Edmund for that) "Stop being rich"? "Stop being on twitter"?

User avatar
Vakema123
Posts: 413
Joined: 26 Jan 2014, 21:24

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 21:23

Yeah this got really big in my school, but I don't see the point. Not a big loss on my end if it does go away.

User avatar
Sašo
Stabyourself.net
Posts: 1422
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 12:07

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 21:28

imaginary cake wrote:And they freakin' took Mario's pipe design.
Well, he DID make it look like a green pipe.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 21:32

Late-night posts all the way!

User avatar
LightningFire
Posts: 1829
Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 21:34

And he did made them look way better.

Well, with Flappy Bird taken down, I guess I shouldn't use this thread for high scores, since there won't be that many people that will still have the game.
I don't know why, but I like keeping apps that get erased from the App Store, either because they just got taken down or it just was a limited time thing (Flappy Bird, the 12 days of gifts app, etc).

User avatar
TripleXero
Posts: 892
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 00:23

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 22:27

I don't see why anyone would delete the game because it's not on the appstore. I still have a Sonic Olympics game from 2010 that was on the app store for literally like 5 days

Also, apparently the guy made tons of fake 5 star reviews on the game

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 22:38

TripleXero wrote:Also, apparently the guy made tons of fake 5 star reviews on the game
It's not proven. The article that talked about that was pointing out the spikes in the numbers of reviews(Which were caused by the spike in popularity, which was caused by Pewdiepie. Though the spikes in popularity of his other games aren't really explainable.) and the fact that most 5/5 reviews are basically saying "Don't buy this, or you're gonna be depressed", and using the same vocabulary.

User avatar
Sašo
Stabyourself.net
Posts: 1422
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 12:07

Post » 09 Feb 2014, 23:40

Automatik wrote:
TripleXero wrote:Also, apparently the guy made tons of fake 5 star reviews on the game
It's not proven. The article that talked about that was pointing out the spikes in the numbers of reviews(Which were caused by the spike in popularity, which was caused by Pewdiepie. Though the spikes in popularity of his other games aren't really explainable.) and the fact that most 5/5 reviews are basically saying "Don't buy this, or you're gonna be depressed", and using the same vocabulary.
I find allegations that he actually suddenly started some big promotions absolutely ludicrous. It's a game that went viral. The end.

Mari0 actually had a similar story. 12 days after "Mario portals test 3" was posted it suddenly went viral, racking up a shitload of pageviews. If the game was released then it would likely generate even more traffic, but we still managed to get 2,13 million downloads so far.

User avatar
LightningFire
Posts: 1829
Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 01:26

Image
(OkayI'llstopplayingnow)

User avatar
BobTheLawyer
Posts: 2232
Joined: 01 May 2012, 21:00

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 05:09

http://managore.itch.io/ffffff[
Best Flappy Bird Remix (yes better than the Tippy Hat)

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 18:51

No, the best is the one by terry canavagh cavanagh himself : http://terrycavanaghgames.com/maverickbird/
Last edited by Automatik on 21 Feb 2014, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dav999
Posts: 64
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 16:43

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 19:12

Automatik wrote:No, the best is the one by terry canavagh himself : http://terrycavanaghgames.com/maverickbird/
My high score on that is currently 7 8 20!... I'm not used to the dive mechanic.
Last edited by Dav999 on 21 Feb 2014, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

B-Man99
Posts: 1868
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 19:16

Terry *Cavanagh* (It's okay it took me forever to habitually spell that right :D) is just so awesome
Thanks for showing us that; I'm going to play it a heck of a lot more than I did the original.

User avatar
Dav999
Posts: 64
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 16:43

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 19:21

My score just went up from 8 all the way to 20 in one game. (Maverick Bird, that is)

User avatar
Qcode
Posts: 1472
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 18:00

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 21:59

Leave it to terry cavanagh to make a flappy bird parody with flashing lights and dubstep.

B-Man99
Posts: 1868
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 22:17

xD Qcode

Anyway I just got 10
I feel so proud
I wonder where the music's from. It's pretty cool, and I'm not even an extreme dubstep fan.

User avatar
TheSeek
Posts: 486
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 06:31

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 22:53

B-Man99 wrote: I wonder where the music's from. It's pretty cool, and I'm not even an extreme dubstep fan.
*press -> twice at start screen* MUSIC BY KOZILEK http://www.kozilek.com