Streaming game development: https://www.twitch.tv/stabyourself Image

First Impressions and Reputation. A Jackostar10000 guide

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Jackostar10000
User avatar
Posts: 416
Joined: 17 Jun 2012, 12:06
Reputation: 14

Post » 16 Jan 2014, 08:01

Quite honestly. Lots of new forum members seem to not be well liked.
So I have created a guide on how to not screw yourself over, as being new is quite a difficult time.
Give it a read if your new. Or even want to improve your experience on the stabyourself forums!

This is NOT a rule thread.
If you wish to read the rules. And by wish i mean you must. Or else a moderator will punish you
Click the following Link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

1. Should I Really sign up?
If you wish to sign up. FEEL FREE!
We are a open community, but if you don't wish to use the thread. Maybe your in the wrong place.
We as a community like to discuss Stabyourself games. We like modding games and having fun.
We also share mods and map packs.

2. Profile
Make sure to set up your profile. Feel free to keep something private if your uncomfortable sharing it.
If your young be warned as sometimes cursing is used. Now you should make your
avatar. Make sure its not offensive. Some use forum characters. And are a good way of depicting yourself.

3. First thread.
There are all kinds of places to post threads. people can comment on them and start discussions.
I recommend doing some research first to make sure it hasn't been answered before. Also asking things that just CAN'T be done are annoying. So research is quite important. once your done check for errors and publish. Keep and eye out for responses as forum members are ready to pounce onto your topic
Now that your done i recommend trying to make a mari0 map pack. Its the easiest thing to contribute.
be creative with your threads, and get assistance from a long time member on things. the older the wiser.

Heres a guide to setting up a thread for a mari0 map pack.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1642

4. How to get along with other members.
Ill start by saying that theres a difference between
Hate and Constructive Criticism
Humor and harassment.
Be nice, don't lie, but don't be afraid to tell someone something.
of course remember that your only a member and there a forum veterans and staff around
so always respect them. It would be really nice to be referred to as Mr. Jackostar10000. ;)

5.Commenting / Replying
Leave comments on peoples work. Some people would really like to hear what great things you have to say about the work
some things take time to pull off. so be patient. So comment. And share your opinion around.
Speaking of opinion. its never alright to insult someones opinion.

Thanks for reading my guide. I hope it helps out.
If you think the thread needs something added let me know.

MM102
User avatar
Posts: 1015
Joined: 11 May 2012, 06:08
Reputation: 498

Post » 16 Jan 2014, 08:50

If you need to bump threads make sure you NEED you bump threads
Giving a rating on a mappack from 2012 isn't very well taken around here even if its technically "adding to the discussion" and not breaking any rules
It is okay to ask questions on old threads, but just make sure the question hasn't been asked before
Like "mr."Jacko said do your research! There is a handy search bar in the top left, and Google is available.

Also avoid double posts when possible
If you need to add or change something you can always use the edit button in the top right of your posts
Double posting is okay if the last post is relatively old but remember to be careful about bumping threads as stated above.

Thats my advice feel free to use/edit it if need be

Jackostar10000
User avatar
Posts: 416
Joined: 17 Jun 2012, 12:06
Reputation: 14

Post » 16 Jan 2014, 09:26

good advice.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32
Reputation: 35

Post » 16 Jan 2014, 10:13

since when were profiles even relevant? I haven't even touched mine and no-one cares
your english is messy at best and half those sentences aren't even really sentences making the whole post a pain to read
plus, some of your points are just stupid, like "sign up", gee thanks I didn't realise I had to do that one
here are my two rules for just about everything that are always applicable

1) don't be a dick for no reason
2) don't be an idiot

follow those and hey presto everyone likes you
(hint: having awful grammar or just generally broken english will make people assume you're not as smart, so if english isn't your first language, make that clear)

Jackostar10000
User avatar
Posts: 416
Joined: 17 Jun 2012, 12:06
Reputation: 14

Post » 16 Jan 2014, 13:57

Camewel wrote:1) don't be a dick for no reason
2) don't be an idiot

Thats just basic stuff you would assume, and clearly people can't follow that stuff.
So i'm laying it out as straight forward as possible.

renhoek
User avatar
Posts: 4559
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 10:04
Reputation: 214

Post » 16 Jan 2014, 14:15

Jackostar10000 wrote:
Camewel wrote:1) don't be a dick for no reason
2) don't be an idiot

Thats just basic stuff you would assume, and clearly people can't follow that stuff.
So i'm laying it out as straight forward as possible.

How is your way more "straight forward" compared to camewels?

Firaga
User avatar
Posts: 944
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 16:05
Reputation: 118
Contact:

Post » 16 Jan 2014, 17:01

Firaga wrote:If it's going to upset someone, don't post it.
If you have a question, look around a bit before making a thread.
Don't make a post with just a few words. Try and make it descriptive and worthwhile for people to read.
Don't be a jackass.
Don't bump threads without adding anything the the discussion.

These are just a few of the rules I go by.

MM102
User avatar
Posts: 1015
Joined: 11 May 2012, 06:08
Reputation: 498

Post » 17 Jan 2014, 00:43

Firaga wrote:
Firaga wrote:If it's going to upset someone, don't post it.
If you have a question, look around a bit before making a thread.
Don't make a post with just a few words. Try and make it descriptive and worthwhile for people to read.
Don't be a jackass.
Don't bump threads without adding anything the the discussion.

These are just a few of the rules I go by.

These shouldn't just be fourm rules these should be the rules of life

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4634
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 713
Contact:

Post » 17 Jan 2014, 01:17

Jackostar10000 wrote:We as a community like to discuss Stabyourself games. We like modding games and having fun.
We also share mods and map packs.

Too not specific be more specific what game of mods, obviosuly no one's going to post some other game mod but if you're trying to be as specific as possible than yeah

Jackostar10000 wrote:Now that your done i recommend trying to make a mari0 map pack. Its the easiest thing to contribute.
be creative with your threads, and get assistance from a long time member on things. the older the wiser.

except me I don't need any PMs (and I'm not wise) plus lots of people don't need/want PMs
though jorichi is probably the best help around here for anything that's not for maurice/saso

Jackostar10000 wrote:4. How to get along with other members.
Ill start by saying that theres a difference between
Hate and Constructive Criticism
Humor and harassment.
Be nice, don't lie, but don't be afraid to tell someone something.
of course remember that your only a member and there a forum veterans and staff around
so always respect them.

this doesn't really help at all that much
spacer
I'd like to share my take on this (but mostly the getting along with others part since that one was weak)
EDIT: I formatted it like a first post because sometimes I get too grabby about things that I don't have ownership over...
---
If a point doesn't quite get the message accross, translate to all caps using http://convertcase.net/ (or just read it like it was in all caps) and that'll help you.

-- Mari0 --
1. Most of the mappacks that are favored by members right now are pretty advanced in graphics and puzzles and whatnot, so even if the map you made isn't as good, doesn't mean that isn't good at all
2. Nowadays nobody really uses vanilla Mari0 in favor of Alesan99's Extra Entites, the third alternative is Mari0 +Portal, although there aren't (m)any mappacks for it SE IS OUT MOTHERDUCKERS
3. If your mappack's thread has a first post is extremely fucking huge because of the How To Set Up Your Mappack's Thread thread, please compress it with spoilers

-- Forum Features/Navigation/Etc. --
1. Please do not use font size/color/italics/bold/anything for no reason, they are there for a reason and nobody likes it when you use it for a reason that doesn't make sense
2. Keep in mind that there are two spoiler tags, [sp] is the one you use if there's no non-text involved and [spoiler] is for anything that isn't the first, and you can click both to show them
3. There's a technical support forum, please post problems regarding stabyourself.net there

-- How To Stay Liked --
1. If you're a new member than you better tread lightly no matter what you do considering that most new users seem to turn out bad you gotta prove that you're better than them
2. If someone tells you something's dumb/stupid/etc. and nobody says they're wrong in a day or two then it is dumb/stupid/etc. and you should not do it
3. Don't try to be like the cool kids when you're still new because nobody likes that and you'll probably fail to be like them anyway so yeah
4. Anyone who acts like they're right all the time is probably right 98% of the time so don't be "a dick" (whatever camewel defines that as) to them, they expect the most respect anyway

-- Humor --
1. Get used to Maurice's style of humor because I think most of the members are adapted to it and apply it to their own humor
2. If you think someone was saying something mean or whatever make sure to check their post history and make sure it's not just their style of humor
3. There's a lot of in-jokes and memories and even a forum members you'll never see so if anyone mentions those people/things/whatever you might want to leave that discussion alone
4. Do not take a simple joke too far

-- The Wise Words Of Others --
1. "A joke's funny the first time [if it is at all], worth a small chuckle the second, and frowned upon the third." -Jorichi (regarding jokes)
2. "Most things don't even last a week, just stop being a dick for a week and everyone will like you again." -Camewel (regarding reputation)
*yes I realize both of these were directed at me so shut up they're good quotes
Last edited by TurretBot on 30 Jan 2014, 00:00, edited 2 times in total.

Qcode
User avatar
Posts: 1464
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 18:00
Reputation: 72
Contact:

Post » 17 Jan 2014, 01:34

That was actually a pretty damn good post turret. Only point I would argue with is the thing about Mods versus Vanilla Mari0. Most mappacks are still made for vanilla Mari0.

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4634
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 713
Contact:

Post » 17 Jan 2014, 01:52

Qcode wrote:That was actually a pretty damn good post turret. Only point I would argue with is the thing about Mods versus Vanilla Mari0. Most mappacks are still made for vanilla Mari0.

It feels good to be the smart one but now I'm unsure if I could/should make a new thread for this...? Not sure how taking over a thread works really. (That or I'm doing the too grabby thing I said earlier again.)

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32
Reputation: 35

Post » 17 Jan 2014, 02:02

TurretBot wrote:4. Anyone who acts like they're right all the time is probably right 98% of the time so don't be "a dick" (whatever camewel defines that as) to them, they expect the most respect anyway

this is the only bit I disagree on here, jackostar was acting like he was always right and he really wasn't, a few other people used to be like this too. I think I speak for idiot too (and whoever else you were talking about) when I say that we don't mind being corrected, but only if we're actually wrong

other than that, it was a solid post and you are back to being a perfectly okay member in my books (see this "bad reputation" thing really doesn't last)

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4634
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 713
Contact:

Post » 17 Jan 2014, 03:08

Topic Derail Warning:
Camewel wrote:
TurretBot wrote:4. Anyone who acts like they're right all the time is probably right 98% of the time so don't be "a dick" (whatever camewel defines that as) to them, they expect the most respect anyway

this is the only bit I disagree on here, jackostar was acting like he was always right and he really wasn't, a few other people used to be like this too. I think I speak for idiot too (and whoever else you were talking about) when I say that we don't mind being corrected, but only if we're actually wrong

Everytime I want to talk about this specific group of members I seriously cannot find a word/phrase/metaphor/ANYTHING AT ALL I'M SERIOUS/etc. for them... I'm really getting tired of this so I'm going to list all the members in this group and I seriously need someone to help me out here. Though I usually associate them with a negative adjective they're also the most helpful members (but not the only ones otherwise I'd have that word to use) so anyway here:

renhoek
Camewel
idiot9.0
Sašo
Assasin-Kiashi

Someone please find a word that describes/is a trait of/you can expect from/etc all of these people because I need one gosh dang. Send your ideas in a PM because nobody needs to change a thread's subject... Oh maybe I should add that too.
TL; DR Some members even words can't describe.

Camewel wrote:other than that, it was a solid post and you are back to being a perfectly okay member in my books (see this "bad reputation" thing really doesn't last)

Really, only now I'm good? It's already been a year! And you said it would take just a week! :P


Return to “Twatter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests