IOSMB4 Discussion

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 00:40

This was a poll, but it morphed into general IOSMB4 discussion. It also received the poll-closing decision, but I'm keeping the Utsobo images here anyway.

Large Version 1: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-01fjCxATbzM/U ... tsobo+(V1)
Large Version 2: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XHAGXtJVClo/U ... o+V2.1.jpg
Small Version 1: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZqbOqqLK3q0/U ... tsobo+(V1)
Small Version 2: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S-OUIrTvpcw/U ... tsobo+(V2)

The actual showcase of the game is under Game Development. Go here to see: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3359
Last edited by Cake on 29 Jun 2013, 17:36, edited 5 times in total.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 02:29

Version 1 is a very sharp, angled creature, whereas version 2 is a smooth thing. Nintendo's entire art style is based around smooth things these days, especially the Mario series (If you disagree I'd like you to find me some sharp polygons in any of the new E3 Mario lineup). The version 2 creation much better fits this style, and that's why I think it would fit more. Version 1 seems to technical, really, it strikes me more as a monster from a realistic game.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 15 Jun 2013, 07:39

Thank you for your input.

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 15 Jun 2013, 08:41

LV2

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 16 Jun 2013, 20:36

Remember, it's not about sizes either. It's just that we drew 2 differing versions of the same design, and then we had 2 differing designs. Thank you for your response, though!

User avatar
BobTheLawyer
Posts: 2232
Joined: 01 May 2012, 21:00

Post » 16 Jun 2013, 21:42

V1

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 16 Jun 2013, 23:40

I really thought that by making a first post in this topic with a detailed description of why I made the choice I did this topic would have some real standard instead of being a meaningless poll.

Shame, eh?

User avatar
BobTheLawyer
Posts: 2232
Joined: 01 May 2012, 21:00

Post » 17 Jun 2013, 00:11

Sorry Camewel.
We're lazy.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 17 Jun 2013, 02:29

Tis' a shame...
BobTheLawyer wrote: We're lazy.
That you're not lazy enough to not even send the reply at all.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 20 Jun 2013, 02:46

Sorry, that was a bad joke. Shall we return to the polls, people?

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 20 Jun 2013, 02:51

I think I like large version 2, but I think it needs bigger "wings".

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 01:20

(They're only size differences... not design differences.) Sure, bigger wings fins coming right up. Twas' a slight error when re-drawing the design.

User avatar
Defiant Shout
Posts: 599
Joined: 22 Jun 2013, 18:44

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 18:49

Kekekeke. I now have an account here. I obviously vote for mine, but that doesn't count for the creator! XD

Anyways, there will be an extra version that requires payment* but it will be an alteration of the game's sprites and gameply, as well as a retexture of everything (name to be decided). But anyways, I have been struck wih an amazing idea, we use V1 Utsobo as the addon version because it seems more reality based anyways.

*Subject to arguments with cake (Astromonic)

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 18:56

victinistar wrote:Anyways, there will be an extra version that requires payment*
No there won't. At least, not this game.

User avatar
Costinteo
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 20:39

Camewel wrote:
victinistar wrote:Anyways, there will be an extra version that requires payment*
No there won't. At least, not this game.
I think him and Imaginary Cake are the creators of the If Only SMB4, in Game Development. So I think he has the right to say something about this game.

I'm still not sure if you thought he was talking about Mari0 or you actually knew what he was talking about.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 21:00

I was talking about the C&D he'd receive seconds after trying to sell something with Mario plastered all over it.

User avatar
Costinteo
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 23:18

Oh totally forgot about copyright. What was I thinking.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 01:17

Yes, Victinistar is making IOSMB4 with me.
victinistar wrote:Kekekeke.
Anyways, there will be an extra version that requires payment* but it will be an alteration of the game's sprites and gameplay, as well as a retexture of everything (name to be decided). But anyways, I have been struck with an amazing idea, we use V1 Utsobo as the addon version because it seems more reality based anyways.
*Subject to arguments with cake (Astromonic)
Finally, you accept my Utsobo version. Good idea, and it's the final agreement between Utsobo designs.

In any case, what he's talking about is in case of a warning from Nintendo against us, we still want the core game to exist. So we're fazing out all Nintendo enemies, items, etc. and replacing them with other various original ideas that fit the bill- for example, a flamethrower should replace the fire flower. This will all only happen however, if they do issue this warning. Dang copyrights...
The entire "pay for this" concept all derives from him, but I can't exactly find somewhere to go with him. That's why it's subject to future arguments.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 01:56

imaginary cake wrote:This will all only happen however, if they do issue this warning.
Instead of issuing the warning they are legally allowed to actually sue you for every cent you made off the game and then seize the game and all assets.
aka don't do this

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 01:58

Could Nintendo sell it as their own game once they have it?

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 02:46

They wouldn't.
(I'm honestly not sure if they could but they wouldn't)

User avatar
TheSeek
Posts: 486
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 06:31

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 02:58

Camewel wrote:
imaginary cake wrote:This will all only happen however, if they do issue this warning.
Instead of issuing the warning they are legally allowed to actually sue you for every cent you made off the game and then seize the game and all assets.
aka don't do this
victinistar said that the extra version might(as they're still decidig) require payment, and that said version will have altered sprite and gamepleay. From this, and from what imaginary cake said, i get that they'll do IOSMB4 and people won't pay for it, and just in case Nintendo warns them for using their stuff, they'll keep the core game and change the sprites, gameplay and the name, and then they could sell this version, hence they never intended to sell IOSMB4.
One of them will disprove me if i got it wrong.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 03:05

I like how what you said contradicts what's actually in the message you quoted.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 05:59

TheSeek wrote:
Camewel wrote:
imaginary cake wrote:This will all only happen however, if they do issue this warning.
Instead of issuing the warning they are legally allowed to actually sue you for every cent you made off the game and then seize the game and all assets.
aka don't do this
victinistar said that the extra version might(as they're still deciding) require payment, and that said version will have altered sprite and gamepleay. From this, and from what imaginary cake said, i get that they'll do IOSMB4 and people won't pay for it, and just in case Nintendo warns them for using their stuff, they'll keep the core game and change the sprites, gameplay and the name, and then they could sell this version, hence they never intended to sell IOSMB4.
One of them will disprove me if i got it wrong.
.

You understand what we're trying to do.

Point is, an the unaltered unpaid version of IOSMB4 will keep the commotion down about warnings and lawsuits. I'm worried about lawsuits, whereas Victinistar wants to make money off of it. Combine the ideas, and there you go. Personally, I'm still against this paid version unless much more content is included... keep in mind that this altered, paid version will be further in the future and probably isn't something to be working on (or talked about) until IOSMB4 is finished.

User avatar
Defiant Shout
Posts: 599
Joined: 22 Jun 2013, 18:44

Post » 24 Jun 2013, 23:57

The only reason I even think of MONEY is because I would like some profit from all the work we do, and I'm not exactly a rich guy, so I could use a few bucks to get a new computer, which in turn, would help greatly in producing audio effects and such since my current computer ports are destroyed. However, the second mode's existance WAS cake's idea, but I put a bit more effort into it because I just like the idea. This version would, AT MAXIMUM PRICE, cost five dollars. And I had at first, intended to sell IOSMB4 as a game, until I finally figured out for myself about the lawsuits.

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 25 Jun 2013, 03:50

How about you use original characters and graphics, then sell the game without the lawsuit problem anywhere in sight?
Nintendo can't sue you for making a platformer with powerups.
(Well, they could, but they probably wouldn't get very far.)

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 25 Jun 2013, 04:03

Your question is a great question. IOSMB4 is intended to show an alternate, great path that Nintendo could have chosen to remain as awesome as they were before the Wii. It's also the "grand finale" for anything Mario-related for me, as I'm no longer supporting many as-to-be-released Mario games after IOSMB4 is finished. I grew up on the games, and it's among the early childhood memories of which I want to finish.
victinistar wrote:The only reason I even think of MONEY is because I would like some profit from all the work we do, and I'm not exactly a rich guy, so I could use a few bucks to get a new computer, which in turn, would help greatly in producing audio effects and such since my current computer ports are destroyed. However, the second mode's existance WAS cake's idea, but I put a bit more effort into it because I just like the idea. This version would, AT MAXIMUM PRICE, cost five dollars. And I had at first, intended to sell IOSMB4 as a game, until I finally figured out for myself about the lawsuits.
Yeah, I guess my post was a bit stern... but now I see your reasons more clearly. Everything now left at is something I agree upon- IOSMB4's Utsobo design, the pricing, and explanation of things. This "poll" is closed now.

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 25 Jun 2013, 04:20

imaginary cake wrote:I grew up on the games, and it's among the early childhood memories of which I want to finish.
You want to finish playing mario.
YOU WANT TO FINISH PLAYING MARIO.
"Calm down, Jonathan... you probably just misread it..."
imaginary cake wrote:It's also the "grand finale" for anything Mario-related for me, as I'm no longer supporting many as-to-be-released Mario games after IOSMB4 is finished. I grew up on the games, and it's among the early childhood memories of which I want to finish.
I DIDN'T MISREAD THAT.
Sorry.
Please explain yourself.

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 25 Jun 2013, 04:40

poor imaginary cake won't be here for the release of mari0: se.

User avatar
Defiant Shout
Posts: 599
Joined: 22 Jun 2013, 18:44

Post » 25 Jun 2013, 08:30

If this is a joke, it's funny, otherwise...
Anyways, he's mentioned this to me before; he means to complete the original series either by beating EVERY "good" Mario game, OR it's that he wants to tie up loose ends of the original Mario series because the new ones are basically just repeats of each other with random new add-ons that make absolutely no sense half of the time. But I'll leave it to actually answer and determine whether either of these hypotheses were right.

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 17:35

Yeah, it was partially a joke. (Good job understanding that Turret Opera.) The real meaning behind it was that I would no longer play any games released after the Wii- that's when the repeats really started to happen.
In any case, the real answer to Jony's question is that IOSMB4 shows what Nintendo could have done instead of going on and on about repeats.

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 17:58

Well, I know that, but I thought you were going to stop playing any Mario games.
Gosh darnit, dood. You scared me.

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 18:49

imaginary cake wrote:(Good job understanding that Turret Opera.)
I know a joke when I see one, unlike some people around here... >=(

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 18:57

Is it me?

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 19:10

No.

User avatar
Defiant Shout
Posts: 599
Joined: 22 Jun 2013, 18:44

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 22:03

How about me? 'Cuz I derped when you joked back...

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 23:52

some people from other threads not this one.

User avatar
Costinteo
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 09:25

Stop going off-topic with only one sentence per post. It's annoying.

So how's it going with the game? Did you make any progress?
Also, will it have any level editor of somekind?

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 17:25

Planning out the game though has taken up a lot of time- but it's easy in a sense. I've mapped how the camera works, nearly all paths and secret exits, and have made even more sprites for the game while learning more and more ways to code.
Game progress (at this current moment) has kind of stopped- I'm traveling, and I don't have a whole lot of computer time in-between activities. I've been focusing my time at the forums here because I freshly presented the game, and I'm still looking for feedback and responding to the welcoming messages.
As for the level editor, that's exactly what I want. We're going to be using one to make the game's levels anyway, and some random person will make one if we don't. (For example, Not Pacman ++.)
However, it will take a lot of time to create the level editor. Not only that, but me and Victinistar are still learning to code, so even a screenshot of the game should take an extended time to arrive. There's also other experimental projects of which I want to create first for practice and experience, so IOSMB4 is a game that'll take 2 or more years to finish.
The first game I'm thinking of making is a simple twin stick shooter game- except you use the arrow keys to move, and the mouse is where you shoot. Nothing too special, as it's just an experiment.

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 02:30

If it's going to take that long, could you at least give screenies of development?
[badjoke]Maurice gave us an entire TRAILER, and look how long HE'S taking![/badjoke]

User avatar
Cake
Posts: 1401
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 03:29

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 04:02

That's the plan!
Of course, I have no idea when we're going to release them. It should take a while...

User avatar
TheJonyMyster
Posts: 1795
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 04:25

Maybe Tumblr?
Or here.

User avatar
Defiant Shout
Posts: 599
Joined: 22 Jun 2013, 18:44

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 11:07

Ohyea, I wonder if anyone mentioned this: We have a blog for it all.

http://www.ifonlysmb4.blogspot.com

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 15:59

god dangit not tumblr =(

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 16:03

Turret Opera wrote:god dangit not tumblr =(
SYS is a tumblr.

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 16:08

I actually knew that.

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 16:13

Why are you against tumblr?
And why do you say it's a tumblr blog, when it's a blogspot blog?

User avatar
Qcode
Posts: 1470
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 18:00

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 16:15

He's upset because it's not tumblr. If it's blogspot then you can't follow the progress as easy than just checking your tumblr feed, you actually have to go to the website.

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 16:17

Turret should learn about RSS.

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 29 Jun 2013, 16:18

wat is rss?