Basically a day ago I realized that Mari0 checks for updates on start and that all of that is written in the web server logs. Useful.
So I went to extract 52 days of data and found there were 1302025 records. However, since the version check uses the exact same check as DLC mappacks check, I had to somehow filter the duplicates.
The data was filtered so that there can be only one IP (which is basically how I identify clients) entry per hour to prevent a single user having a dozen entries just because he checked the DLC menu a few times in a row. Once that was done, the total amount of useful records was 637047.
And then I made these 2 pictures.
Can't see full image so click here: http://i.imgur.com/Hp7rA.png
(Note that the amount of players is actually even lower in this image since I accounted at max 1 play per IP per day.
This sort of shows the trend when Mari0 is played (or at least started) the most.
Technically I could also make a map with most popular area or sort of a timeline where players are displayed based on their location. Bit complicated to do that though so don't count on that since this was mostly a product of curiosity.
I was thinking about making a blogpost about numbers numbers NUMBERS but I'd need either more data or make it actually interesting for most people. Either way, it was pretty surprising to see such a high amount of players each day.