Zuli

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
Diehl

Post » 26 Mar 2014, 20:21

Hello everybody, how are you?

I'm Diehl and I'm a member of Minus One Games, which is a small group of developing electronic games of Rio Grande do Sul. Firstly, I must comment that all members of the Minus One, are big fans of Stabyourself including, was through Stabyourself that we discover the Löve engine and so we developed our first game.

Zuli is a challenging arcade game where you take the role of a little albino bat who has to escape from the cave he lives in.

Avoid the deadly foes that fly around the cave and eat all the bugs to release Zuli's power (press Space).

Make sure that any of the enemies you encounter doesn't touch you or you'll have to start the level all over again.

Do not forget to have fun while playing! ;)

Available languages​​: English and Portuguese.

Download:

Note: The game was developed with Löve 0.8.0.
Last edited by Diehl on 03 Apr 2014, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

Camewel

Post » 26 Mar 2014, 23:47

This is honestly a really fun game, there's just a little bit of criticism I'd like to give.
The corners have killed me more than once by just catcing me, it'd be nice if you could make it push you around the corner if you're almost there (like this).
Also, travelling in straight lines is pretty dull in the early levels, possibly add some feature where you "boost" if you hold down a direction for more than, say, 2 seconds.

Diehl

Post » 27 Mar 2014, 00:17

Camewel wrote:This is honestly a really fun game, there's just a little bit of criticism I'd like to give.
The corners have killed me more than once by just catcing me, it'd be nice if you could make it push you around the corner if you're almost there (like this).
Also, travelling in straight lines is pretty dull in the early levels, possibly add some feature where you "boost" if you hold down a direction for more than, say, 2 seconds.
Firstly, thanks for the feedback.

We will study how to implement this "upgrade" in the corners of the wall, I believe that many people have had the same "problem" you had... (laughs)

Already about the boost, I really liked your idea, this would be a great feature to be added in a possible continuation of Zuli.

Doormat

Post » 27 Mar 2014, 02:34

Watched the video, it looks good.

But for the love of all that is good PLEASE change the logo font to something that ISN'T Comic Sans.

Also, judging by the video, the animations could look smoother.

Camewel

Post » 27 Mar 2014, 02:45

Doormat wrote:But for the love of all that is good PLEASE change the logo font to something that ISN'T Comic Sans.
it's a game about an adorable bat there is never a better time for comic sans

Diehl

Post » 27 Mar 2014, 17:07

Doormat wrote:Watched the video, it looks good.
Also, judging by the video, the animations could look smoother.
Thank you!
Doormat wrote:Also, judging by the video, the animations could look smoother.
Yes, we will try to fix it next time.
Camewel wrote:
Doormat wrote:But for the love of all that is good PLEASE change the logo font to something that ISN'T Comic Sans.
Exactly! (laughs)

Doormat

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 18:15

Diehl wrote:
Camewel wrote:
Exactly! (laughs)
i am not amused

Diehl

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 18:31

Doormat wrote:i am not amused
Oh, I'm Sorry. =[

Well, you got to play the game? If played, you like it?

And.. Do you have tips about cool fonts for we use in future videos?

Doormat

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 22:02

Diehl wrote:
Doormat wrote:i am not amused
Oh, I'm Sorry. =[

Well, you got to play the game? If played, you like it?

And.. Do you have tips about cool fonts for we use in future videos?
I haven't played the game yet, but I will.

As for fonts, hmmmm... I do have one "comic" font that I made, it would look like this:
And a better one that I didn't make:
(If you really do want the first font, I can PM you it. The second one is available here. There are probably better options though)

So yeah, Comic Sans really shouldn't be used anywhere, anytime, at all. Except on purposely bad works.

EDIT:
I played the game. It's kinda fun, but there are some things that could be fixed: A lot of the animation looks jerky, some of the graphics are blurry, and why can't I use the mouse to navigate the main menu? The enemy's AI isn't really AI, it's just following the player in a straight path which seems unnatural. This also might be why it's so dang hard to get around the enemy bats. And what's up with all the differing font sizes on the menu buttons? And why Arial? Arial is boring, use a less bland sans-serif font. And of course, the aforementioned Comic Sans problem.

So yeah, those are the problems that I spotted, mainly graphical stuff. Keep up the good work!

Camewel

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 22:59

Doormat wrote:So yeah, Comic Sans really shouldn't be used anywhere, anytime, at all. Except on purposely bad works.
wow
many prejudice
is there any reason why or are you just jumping on the dumb bandwagon?

Doormat

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 23:05

Camewel wrote:
Doormat wrote:So yeah, Comic Sans really shouldn't be used anywhere, anytime, at all. Except on purposely bad works.
wow
many prejudice
is there any reason why or are you just jumping on the dumb bandwagon?
it's because it's an ugly font that has no real good use
it's just a sore on my eyes

Diehl

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 23:39

Doormat wrote:
I haven't played the game yet, but I will.

As for fonts, hmmmm... I do have one "comic" font that I made, it would look like this:
And a better one that I didn't make:
(If you really do want the first font, I can PM you it. The second one is available here. There are probably better options though)

So yeah, Comic Sans really shouldn't be used anywhere, anytime, at all. Except on purposely bad works.

EDIT:
I played the game. It's kinda fun, but there are some things that could be fixed: A lot of the animation looks jerky, some of the graphics are blurry, and why can't I use the mouse to navigate the main menu? The enemy's AI isn't really AI, it's just following the player in a straight path which seems unnatural. This also might be why it's so dang hard to get around the enemy bats. And what's up with all the differing font sizes on the menu buttons? And why Arial? Arial is boring, use a less bland sans-serif font. And of course, the aforementioned Comic Sans problem.

So yeah, those are the problems that I spotted, mainly graphical stuff. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the tips about fonts. I liked the second.

Well, the menu is controlled only by keyboard, because the gameplay is totally focused using the keyboard. Use the mouse on the menu might confuse some people. About the fonts of the menu, we chose to use the default Löve, which is Arial.

About the animations, we will try to fix in future.

AI... We know that the AI of the game is no big deal, but it was what we could do for the moment. So in future we want to do something more elaborate about it.

Automatik

Post » 31 Mar 2014, 19:16

Diehl wrote:About the fonts of the menu, we chose to use the default Löve, which is Arial.
Actually it's Vera Sans.

Diehl

Post » 03 Apr 2014, 20:33

Hello guys, now Zuli is also available for Mac OSX!

If you use Mac, be sure to download: https://bitbucket.org/MinusOneGames/zul ... li-osx.zip