[SE8] Mari0 Remix [Is probably dead again]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Sunset_Moth

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 04:20

Warning: Despite this being called "Mari0 remix" you do not play as Mario. It's called that because it is a lot like the SMB mappack of Mari0, except with dialog and some new features. It mostly uses the base tiles and enemies, but it'll have new enemies and tiles, such as spikes and brick blocks that can only be hit half the time.

Mari0 Remix's story is simple: There's an AI communicating with you as you go throughout the world, and she's not in any way insane. She's a computer. She's lonely and bored of the simple white room she has. She is almost a person... almost. And she found the outside world, and how to watch it and guide someone in it to help her. This room is in the mappack, and stays true to the Mari0 Pallette, which most things will do, if not all. Just enjoy your mission to save the lonely AI from the room she's been trapped in for more time than she wishes to think about. This uses SE for the dialog, enemies, and animated tiles, as well as spikes and stuff like that.
Giant picture

Download:
W1 DEMO: Download
W2 DEMO: Fire the download blasters!
Last edited by Sunset_Moth on 13 Jun 2015, 20:10, edited 15 times in total.

alesan99

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 04:24

You should start giving us screenshots and downloads.
You already made 2 threads with 0 content:

B-Man99

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 04:31

Maurice wrote:Can't wait!

Sunset_Moth

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 04:39

Red needed some software stuff I couldn't figure out with your mod and can't do with SE. Torn someone else already started a mappack. I need to do some non-puzzle map building before I try puzzles, which both of those used. I'll put up screenshots when I have them.

Also, I asked you not to complain about what you just complained about... And red had a tileset posted. And I'm uploading a screenshot to mediafire now.

EDIT: Screenshot takes up half the universe. I'll fix it later.

EDIT 2: FIXED!
Last edited by Sunset_Moth on 02 Feb 2014, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

B-Man99

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 05:00

bubba_nate wrote:And I'm uploading a screenshot to mediafire now.
EDIT: Screenshot takes up half the universe. I'll fix it later.
I noticed. Please fix it quickly. Also, Imgur would probably be easier, at least in my experience (I've used both).
bubba_nate wrote:Also, I asked you not to complain about what you just complained about...
People have given you the tip before, but you chose to ignore it. You can't just ask people not to complain about something when it's a basic forum guideline that has been told for you to do before. Did you even read Cytosine's thread? Someone even showed it to you the first time you started a mappack thread with 0 content.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 18:10

I read the thread and I'm working on world one right now. Hopefully it'll be out today. I didn't have what that said I should have because I hadn't made world one yet, and screenshots are annoying to take one by one by one and crop to the right size save and upload and post. I'll have one for level two three and four later.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 22:31

B-Man99 wrote:
Maurice wrote:Can't wait!
At first I thought you were saying that insultingly. Then I looked at villager's 3D thread. I'll hopefully have world 1 today, but it's going slower than I expected. On level 2, working on a special intermission animation.
Last edited by Sunset_Moth on 02 Feb 2014, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

B-Man99

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 22:44

I was making a joke because of how similar your original thread was to Villager's (terrible) thread with 0 content which Maurice sarcastically (I think) responded to with that.
It was honest criticism. I'd quote Costin's post about 0 content threads to remind you but thank god you actually uploaded a screenshot afterward. If you're insulted by my humorous comparison to another bad thread (which isn't relevant anymore because at least you added screenshots now to this one) then all I would have to say is maybe that means you'll take it to heart. I don't know.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 23:01

I didn't have enough to screenshot when I posted this. And yes, I should have waited, I was just excited about finding something I can actually do, map-wise. I tried puzzles and it's hard, but this is easier, to just do platforming. Because platforming doesn't have a solution for me to create.
And no, I wasn't offended, I assumed you and maurice were serious-ish, trying to get people to look at what had been posted and not what hadn't.

B-Man99

Post » 02 Feb 2014, 23:51

I'm pretty sure that Maurice was being sarcastic when he said that, as it was funny that way and that would fit his common sense of humor, but I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. I'm glad that you explained yourself, and it is definitely clear by now how excited you are with SE and everything. Hope you're having a nice time making your mappack (as I am mine but no one has really heard much about that)!
I'm looking forward to Mari0 Remix, anyways... :)

Sunset_Moth

Post » 03 Feb 2014, 01:00

I'm glad. This week I'll release W1. Hopefully today.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 04 Feb 2014, 22:41

I made a custom enemy. It was supposed to be a hammer bro that followed you and killed stuff...
Didn't turn out so well...

(Yes, that's the same set of stairs as the flying-goomba picture above. I'm testing the freindly here, it'll be seen on 1-3 and a few other levels as a bonus. It'll be a lakitu that throws hammers that only hurt enemies. I'll just change the Base of the current one, it's in how the hammer bro moves that breaks it.)

EDIT: Now it's eight hammer bros. Forgot to change the sprite.

EDIT 2: I give up! I give up. It's not worth it.

Now learning to use Famitracker to make custom music. This'll delay W1 about... five years. I'm kidding, I'm close to done with W1, doing the castle now. Why would the character go into a castle-tower-whatever? He's journeying across the world to find the AI... O.o I broke castle levels with logic...

EDIT 3: To get keycards to open the door of the room the AI is trapped in, of course! Makes total sense.
Last edited by Sunset_Moth on 05 Feb 2014, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Feb 2014, 23:59

I made a custom enemy. It was supposed to be a hammer bro that followed you and killed stuff...
Didn't turn out so well...
May be worth mentioning in SMB1 if a Hammer Brother winds up walking inside a solid tile (since it doesn't have horizontal collision like the less dangerous enemies), it is forced to continuously jump upwards until it's back in empty space.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 05 Feb 2014, 02:32

Tried my hand at composing. I'm no good. I should record music off my piano to my computer and run the MIDI through FamiTracker- I'm better at improvising.

Anyway, modified the original SMB with Famitracker, that'll be what I use... for now.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 05 Feb 2014, 19:42

Download now available for world one!

B-Man99

Post » 05 Feb 2014, 19:50

You might want to note in the title that this is for SE. I'm about to try it out now.

EDIT: Whenever I die it freezes. Anyone else having this problem?

Sunset_Moth

Post » 05 Feb 2014, 21:34

I didn't have it. Also, vertical level warning, this will have a very tall tree in 2-2.

TurretBot

Post » 05 Feb 2014, 23:55

bubba_nate wrote:Screenshot takes up half the universe.
glad we still use this joke

Sunset_Moth

Post » 06 Feb 2014, 01:19

I said that without realizing someone else had said it, must have read it, forgotten, and said it because I had read it and remembered unconciously.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 12 Feb 2014, 23:57

I have completed World 2, under a rough definition of "completed," so expect a demo soon. However, demos beyond W1 will have little or no AI quotes. So if you want story while you play the first time, wait until I finish W4 and polish all worlds. I will also be taking a break from working on Mari0 Remix, due to the fact I should for various reasons. Even though I like working on it. I did most of W2 today, if it seems rushed, well, I wasn't rushing I just made the levels short when I set the size and I didn't make them bigger. They might grow a bit later. I also had a bit of an issue of not being able to find much to put in some of the levels, most of them I eventually found enough, however some of them are still a bit plain.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 16 Feb 2014, 21:52

World two is now downloadable. It includes what I think is the first Cannon level in all of Mari0: SE (As in NSMB2 fired from a cannon thingy where you can only jump. Except it's not a shortcut it's a normal level.)

UNINTENTIONAL TRIPLE POST BECAUSE EDITS DON'T BUMP YAAAAAAAAY that's my first triple post I think but actually I shouldn't be celebrating I should be scolding myself. Bad, bad, bad!

Sunset_Moth

Post » 26 May 2015, 22:39

THIS IS NOT DEAD
I don't think it is anyways. I downloaded the SE extended thing and found all my animations were messed up (Filled with add-one-up instead of what they should have. Version weirdness, I think. Also orange water everywhere from world 3...) Quadruple post! Because the thread died!

Qwerbey

Post » 27 May 2015, 02:03

First off, you don't have the SE version in the title. It's beta 8. Now, on to the actual mappack:

1-1: The first level is good, though I think the spike pit with the springs is a little too difficult for the first level.
1-2: The custom intermission is a little unnecessary, but completely harmless, and I don't think the solidifying bricks were used to their fullest potential.
1-3: What's the point of the star? There are no enemies after it.
1-4: This is a nice level, I like the non-linearity. You put the warp pipe on the wrong block, though. It should be on the right block of the pipe.

2-1: That animation is nice the first time, but quickly gets annoying. Additionally, it's not very clear that you can jump through the platforms. I actually beat this level by using a portal fall to launch myself upward, which I'm sure was unintended, but—judging by the time left when I do that—is the only way to beat it. Maybe the time limit is a little too strict.
2-2: I just didn't think this level was all that fun. Maybe it'd be better if the platforms were wider.
2-3: This level was pretty fun. It was a little empty, though.
2-4: There wasn't much to this level, just spam space and avoid the squids.

In conclusion, it's a pretty fun mappack, but the second world definitely has room for improvement.

Worth downloading:
Yes.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 28 May 2015, 17:34

It's beta 8? No wonder it's all messed up in the editor. I'm using B9. XD
I went back through it and the spring spike pit did seem a bit hard, yes.
Solidifying bricks aren't done yet. I'm going to mess with them later, and possibly some more in that level.
I honestly don't know why the star was there.

I got a crash on the castle level... Hrm, this is a problem. Has something to do with the axe, probably the one I don't have.

Qwerbey

Post » 29 May 2015, 02:53

The crash has to do with triggered animated tiles.

faves3000

Post » 29 May 2015, 09:42

When I saw the title of this thread the first thing I thought of was NES Remix-type challenges in Mari0.

That's not a bad idea actually...