LinkIt! - My very first game

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Sep 2013, 07:06

Hello, guys! As you may have noticed, I haven't been posting very much on the forums lately (mainly because of the curses I'm making), but I decided to take some time and effort to work on my first game ever!
Actually, I've made a few games, but inside other games (or platforms). But this one is my first "official" game. Just lua and LÖVE, and nothing else. It's still very WIP, but I decided to post here to get reactions (and suggestions, of course).
Here are some screenies (because we NEED screenies):
Menu (with dynamic background):

And the game itself (unfinished, there'll be a lot more elements to be shown):
Just so you know: This is a game based on a type of game that already exists. I decided to make it anyway, because...

[flashback]There I was, searching some games to my phone, and I found a game about linking. I've already seen this type of game, but never to Nokia X2 phones (YAY! Now you know what's my phone). Then I downloaded and played it. It was AWESOME! For the first 5 seconds. The game always had some ads popping, and I thought "Hey, I can buy it. It's not very expensive, and the game is very well done!", but then I noticed I was wrong. The game had 30 levels, and in each 2 levels an ad popped on the screen. The worst is that the game is not very well made. While linking, you can sort of "cheat", making your linking pass through some dots. Then I thought on something. I said my mom "Mom! Listen: I have a game that is poorly done (in my opinion). So what am I doing about this?" and the answer was "You're gonna make your own game.", and she was right![/flashback]

Images of this game (so you can see what I'm talking about):
(Thank you, Google!)
But, of course, I'm doing a 1:1 copy of it. I'm making the game as it is, but giving the "HugoBDesigner's touch" to it. What it means? An editor, customizable stuff, dozens of new elements and downloadable mappacks! There'll be (just like in Mari0) 2 mappacks premade, and the ability of creating new mappacks with all these elements. Some elements: blocks, dots, doors, buttons (yes, just like Portal), filters, crossers and many others!

The game is not finished, but if you want test some beta versions, I'm releasing it through my blog periodically...
The main question (and the reason why I'm posting here) is:
Would you bother doing mappacks for it, or is it useless, only good for playing sometimes?
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 19 Sep 2013, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

rokit

Post » 18 Sep 2013, 21:33

best first game i've ever seen. i looks really neat.

Automatik

Post » 18 Sep 2013, 21:40

HugoBDesigner wrote:Hello, guys! As you may have noticed, I haven't been posting very much on the forums lately (mainly because of the curses I'm making), but I decided to take some time and effort to work on my first game ever!
Actually, I've made a few games, but inside other games (or platforms). But this one is my first "official" game. Just lua and LÖVE, and nothing else. It's still very WIP, but I decided to post here to get reactions (and suggestions, of course).
Here are some screenies (because we NEED screenies):
Menu (with dynamic background):

And the game itself (unfinished, there'll be a lot more elements to be shown):
Just so you know: This is a game based on a type of game that already exists. I decided to make it anyway, because...

[flashback]There I was, searching some games to my phone, and I found a game about linking. I've already seen this type of game, but never to Nokia X2 phones (YAY! Now you know what's my phone). Then I downloaded and played it. It was AWESOME! For the first 5 seconds. The game always had some ads popping, and I thought "Hey, I can buy it. It's not very expensive, and the game is very well done!", but then I noticed I was wrong. The game had 30 levels, and in each 2 levels an ad popped on the screen. The worst is that the game is not very well made. While linking, you can sort of "cheat", making your linking pass through some dots. Then I thought on something. I said my mom "Mom! Listen: I have a game that is poorly done (in my opinion). So what am I doing about this?" and the answer was "You're gonna make your own game.", and she was right![/flashback]

Images of this game (so you can see what I'm talking about):
(Thank you, Google!)
But, of course, I'm doing a 1:1 copy of it. I'm making the game as it is, but giving the "HugoBDesigner's touch" to it. What it means? An editor, customizable stuff, dozens of new elements and downloadable mappacks! There'll be (just like in Mari0) 2 mappacks premade, and the ability of creating new mappacks with all these elements. Some elements: blocks, dots, doors, buttons (yes, just like Portal), filters, crossers and many others!

As soon as I have something playable (really, really soon) I'll post a beta download here.
The main question (and the reason why I'm posting here) is:
Would you bother doing mappacks for it, or is it useless, only good for playing sometimes?
-No, I wouldn't. There isn't as much gameplay in it as mari0.
-What's the point of doors and buttons, since the player is just gonna open all the doors?
That seems like a cool project though.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Sep 2013, 22:47

Automatik wrote: -No, I wouldn't. There isn't as much gameplay in it as mari0.
All right then. But I wanna emphasize that there'll be much more elements for it, different types of gameplays and customizable entities/blocks/backgrounds...
Automatik wrote: -What's the point of doors and buttons, since the player is just gonna open all the doors?
Because if you don't pass in the button(s) first, you'll not be able to pass through the door(s). It'll make more sense in-game...
Automatik wrote: That seems like a cool project though.
Thanks! It's great to read this!

Camewel

Post » 18 Sep 2013, 23:43

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how this goes. It'll be interesting to see which direction you take this.

weee50

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 00:32

Like Flow Free for computers.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 01:15

Quick note: for you guys who want to test it, I'll be releasing beta versions of it on my blog periodically. I've already release the first beta, 1.1. More details here.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 02:21

Error
main.lua:136: attempt to get length of global 'mappacks' (a nil value)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 02:25

BobTheLawyer wrote:Error
main.lua:136: attempt to get length of global 'mappacks' (a nil value)
How did you got this error? By just opening the game, or you made/changed something else?

BobTheLawyer

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 02:26

As soon as I opened the game the first time.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 02:30

BobTheLawyer wrote:As soon as I opened the game the first time.
Wow! That's strange. Try checking if at "appData/LOVE/LinkIt!" there are 3 files: a folder called "mappacks", another one called "screenshots" and a text called "options.txt". If not, try creating them. If it still doesn't work, then, unfortunately, you'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to my next beta...

BobTheLawyer

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 02:35

I did that. New error
main.lua:144: attempt to concatenate field '?' (a nil value)

Guess I'll wait for tomorrow

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 04:22

BobTheLawyer wrote:I did that. New error
main.lua:144: attempt to concatenate field '?' (a nil value)

Guess I'll wait for tomorrow
I think I know what happened, and this should be fixed for the next beta.
The game is not recognizing or not making the required files it need to load the game. It needs the "mappacks" folder and needs the "options.txt" file. It is trying to concatenate something that doesn't exists, and it doesn't exists because by some reason the game couldn't create it. But, anyway, it's something that I've already fixed (I think). Thanks for reporting!

BobTheLawyer

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 13:03

It gave me the second error after creating them myself.

Camewel

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 15:41

It's giving that error because you made a blank text file so the game tried to make nothing (a nil value) into a string (also known as concatenating).

Mari0Maker

Post » 19 Sep 2013, 22:26

This is looking really nice, can't wait for the full release!
Also, I would rename the "change mappack" to something like "select board". Then again, I can't even play the game. :P

TheJonyMyster

Post » 22 Sep 2013, 05:55

Yeah, for some reason "map" seems like the wrong word, and board sounds a lot better.
I dunno, map makes sense too, but its just not as nice as board.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Sep 2013, 07:06

TheJonyMyster wrote:Yeah, for some reason "map" seems like the wrong word, and board sounds a lot better.
I dunno, map makes sense too, but its just not as nice as board.
As I said to Mari0Maker (via PM), I'm only calling them "maps" and "mappacks" because users (mostly from SYS forums) are more accustomed to the "mappack" idea. If they see things like "play mappack", "download mappack", "mappacks folder" and so on, they'll recognize better these functions. I might change it showing in-game, but I'll probably not change the folders name. So "appdata/LinkIt!/mappacks" will be easier to be "recognized" than "appdata/LinkIt!/boards", since inside those "mappacks" we have, mostly, more than 1 level (or "map", in this case). Maybe I'll change the folder's name, but it's going to be hard. Except if you guys really think I should, I'll keep the "mappacks" and "maps" concept :)

TheJonyMyster

Post » 22 Sep 2013, 08:21

look, sys users dont only play sys games. Occasionally I mix up "levels" from vvvvvv and "mappacks" from mari0 both ways around, and occasionally I'll call mappacks maps because of minecraft. You don't have to change the folders or the game, I'm just saying that either word works but board sounds nicer in this situation. I mean it really doesnt look like a whole map does it? Then again, doesnt the word map mean something completely different than what we call a map in mari0? When you think about it, you could even call them sandwhiches, but nobody could use it anywhere else like that. I have no idea where im going with this, but i do know that i could never call a minecraft adventure map a minecraft level.

idiot9.0

Post » 22 Sep 2013, 09:04

I enjoy playing Minecraft sandwiches myself, they're some nice levels.

I'd call them "puzzles" personally for this game, since it is a puzzle game. But if you do go with maps and mappacks, then I agree with you on calling them that since it does relate to the SYS community lingo.

Mari0Maker

Post » 26 Sep 2013, 00:21

If you want to play the Beta, just copy this line of text into "options.txt" in /appData/LOVE/LinkIt!/

Code: Select all

mappack=start;scale=2
EDIT: New update has been released, so this is now useless.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 26 Sep 2013, 04:04

Mari0Maker wrote:If you want to play the Beta, just copy this line of text into "options.txt" in /appData/LOVE/LinkIt!/

mappack=start;scale=2
EDIT: New update has been released, so this is now useless.
Just what he said. This update fixed the loading problem, so if you've made some file like this one, delete it :)
Oh, and this update makes this now:

mappack=start;scale=2;start=1
Instead of this:

mappack=start;scale=2
Just for future reference :)

Costinteo

Post » 26 Sep 2013, 11:32

I found a bug.

I hold down return on that red square and then I pressed right arrow key.
I hope that's enough of a bug report because I didn't do anything else.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 26 Sep 2013, 19:48

Costinteo wrote:I found a bug.

I hold down return on that red square and then I pressed right arrow key.
I hope that's enough of a bug report because I didn't do anything else.
Well, it's a known bug going to be fixed soon. If you click enter on the first red block and press down it'll work, if you go to the right it also works, but if you press up it crashes. This beta was more for the loading bugfix, but in the next I'll try to fix it (although nothing visible yet). The next update will allow you to create/load other mappacks with some customizability features (such as custom menu backgrounds, in-game backgrounds, custom squares, custom blocks, etc.), hopefully :)