Ideas/Things to add to Mari0

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Mari0

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 04:06

Creating this topic to shout out ideas and things that should be added in future for fun. If you have any ideas, Post them below! I look forward to reading them all!, And maybe even Maurice will see and consider some of our ideas :>

Note: Do not post anything that is not possible, Example: "Maurice should add 3D aspect to the game like Paper Mario"

So ill go first.

We need Giant Goombas! They can only die due to falling down big enough holes, Or by Star/FireFlower powers, They can walk over 1 way holes and not fall in and when you jump on them you just bounce off :) (I know in the 1985 Version there were No giant Goombas, But this is Mari0 Anything is possible its just up to Maurice :D)

Ok guys go!

Hatninja

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 04:15

turrets
wall turrets
a entity that makes you win the level without the flag

meiskooler

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 04:41

Q.U.B.E.-like manipulation of certain blocks. It'll probably take a lot of work but it'll be cool :P

smb64

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 05:36

Power-ups like the following:
http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Power-Ups
mainly: Hammer Suit (recolored Hammer Bros graphics), Blue Koopa Shell (recolored Koopa Shell graphics), Carrot (add bunny ears to hat).

Changeable graphics ( Super Mario Land, Super Mario Bros. 3, and other 8-bit Mario games) (look at Super Mario Bros. Crossover at http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/su ... -crossover for some ideas)

maybe Chell in 8-bit

renhoek

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 06:13

I'm thinking everyything from portal
not powerups from mario games because those are very hard to program
*above
I get sugesting certain powerups
BUT EVERY POWER UP!?!
IT'S NOT A SIMPLE MOUSE CLICK TO MAKE STUFF YOU KNOW!!!

jjman

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 06:30

Custom tilesets:
  • So the comunity can make graphics from others mario's. (There is a custom tab at tiles so i guess it must be on it's way)
Stuff from the new super mario:
  • Triple jump
    wall jump
    etc
Other movement style:
  • I would enjoy much more the portals if once i let go off the movements buttons mario would keep still, instead of slowly losing the acceleration
The special coins:
  • Like the mario for wii, you could put giants coins in the map, it would be side challenges for the ones that like that.
Others mario's:
  • Mario's from other games as character.

HElllooooow

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 06:49

How do i download map packs?

Gramanaitor

Post » 20 Jun 2013, 23:46

Mario Boss selections
(eg. Giant Piranha Plants, Bowser Jr, etc.)

popcan12

Post » 21 Jun 2013, 00:00

I think that would be an adequate idea

(Oh, and I have almost the biggest bump)

Camewel

Post » 21 Jun 2013, 00:38

Already in SE.

Wilo

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 19:52

HElllooooow wrote:How do i download map packs?
You have got to be kidding.

Qwerbey

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 13:59

A cheat where you get the AR2 from Half-Life 2.

mari0br0s

Post » 23 Jun 2013, 19:25

a cheat to play order of twilight in mario levels

constachugga

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 01:17

The 8 red coins mechanic from... nearly 5 or 6 tenths of mario games.

maidenTREE

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 12:10

Extended and longer tilesets no longer mess up. Blue coins, a Sonic mode... where you get to walk on slopes and turn into Sonic, and run through all of Sonic 1's, Sonic 2's and Sonic 3's and Sonic And Knuckles' and Sonic CD's. You can also spin dash and jump in a ball. Also,
jjman wrote:Custom tilesets:
  • So the comunity can make graphics from others mario's. (There is a custom tab at tiles so i guess it must be on it's way)
The custom tiles are already released........ multiple times.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 18:13

Slopes are impossible, and running through three whole CDs of a series sounds a little much. You can always just download the S0nic mod and make a S0nic map pack tribute thing.

idiot9.0

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 18:17

Slopes are not impossible to add. They would just take a fuckton of work to be properly implemented and really wouldn't be worth it.

Also that Sonic idea is just dumb.

Qcode

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 18:39

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 18:09, edited 2 times in total.

Mari0Maker

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 22:24

Weren't slopes shown on the homepage at one time?

Automatik

Post » 28 Jun 2013, 22:31

Yeah, but then it got abandoned because portals didn't work and it was an experiment anyway.

TurretBot

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 13:18

all slopes can be unportalable DONE!! no

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 21:53

Thanks turret.
Posts like that is why we value you.

TurretBot

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 23:01

That's why I post them.

lovechild

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 10:15

Mobility gels on hard light bridges. You can do it in Portal, why not?

Plus, conversion gels on bridges. Could make for interesting co-op puzzles.

I think I figured out "Why not?" seconds after posting;
Placing gels on light bridges, unless there is some parameter that tells the game these elements should disappear when the bridge is removed, may make them persist even when the bridge does not exist, ergo, will introduce a new bug for a feature that didn't need to be there in the first place. Not that it can't be coded out, it'll just take a lot of work to make it happen.
idiot9.0 wrote:Slopes are not impossible to add. They would just take a fuckton of work to be properly implemented and really wouldn't be worth it.
If we go strictly by the 2D modeling, in Nintendo's day yeah, slopes were never particularly nice. Because of the way portals are handled now (Portals always take a 2x1 suface, limited placement compared to Mario), it is impossible. But if portals were freely positionable (That is, does not rely on a on a perfect 64-pixel rectangle), then new possibilities may open up. But then this makes placement of portals in certain places trickier than it has to be for this concept to work, so yeah, possibly wasted effort.
Last edited by lovechild on 05 Jul 2013, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Chippy348

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 10:25

Mobility gels, already in
Conversion gels, i'm not sure

lovechild

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 10:28

Chippy348 wrote:Mobility gels, already in
Applied on light bridges? Because in my experience with 1.6, I can't place them on bridges at all.

Flutter Skye

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 10:47

lovechild wrote:
Chippy348 wrote:Mobility gels, already in
Applied on light bridges? Because in my experience with 1.6, I can't place them on bridges at all.
It's in SE.

Automatik

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 10:56

FlutterPie wrote:
lovechild wrote: Applied on light bridges? Because in my experience with 1.6, I can't place them on bridges at all.
It's in SE.
Are you sure? because I've never heard about it being in SE.

lovechild

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 12:31

[tl;dr: Make everything extra to mari0 an addon, so that internet play runs smoothly and new content doesn't require adding onto the love source directly]

Since we're on the topic of SE, how about mods acting as addons? Of course, this means some new files may be required for the game to function, but say someone decided to use different turrets, or different graphics packs? It would look god-awful if the client used placeholder graphics, or someone locally doesn't have a mod installed, ergo they miss out on the challenge or something becomes impassible because of it, so the addon system would work like this (and this is the only way I can think of it working)...
  • Every mod author is assigned a random ID for their "Addon", which is to be used in a file that is sought by the client to verify required mods are installed
    • Graphics should be considered as addons as well, which means custom sprites should be separate and installable
    The game then will check if a player is using the appropriate mods to play a mappack
    If the game checks for required addons and finds missing ones, then...
    • It will check for an internet connection and deny play if connection is not found
      It will use the IDs of the missing mods, then summon installation of those mods from a central repository
      It will install the mods once they are all retrieved. If the mod is not fully downloaded...
      • It will scrap the download and retry after a minute or until user invokes retry, and repeat downloading once more
    All clients will double-check once before a session begins, just in case.
    Session begins, all players enter the game; Their positions are synced, as well ther portals but everything else is local only.
Game play should not be allowed if the game detects an old-style options menu, and should instruct players who may also intend on making their own mod what to do to make their game work.

This introduces some issues, though;
  • There's a LOT of old content on here.
    Authors may not exist anymore, so it would be up to maintenance personnel to fix pre-existing mods.
    A mod maker might return to see their mod thread mucked up, and they might not anticipate these changes
    If all else fails, the community can hold itself up, with only thread titles saying "[old mari0 (1.6<)]" or something of the like, and users posting fixed versions as new threads or replies in existing threads

Issues could be averted by holding a roll call to confirm who is still active, and letting the mod authors afterward maintain their own work. Old threads for old mods should be locked up, so new threads can be made, and we don't have a horrible, disorganized mess of threads. These changes should come one month in advance of release front-and-center at the stabyourself.net front page and mari0 subpage, with news for active forum members to announce their existence so other people don't touch their stuff and take all the credit for being involved.

Function addons ought to be configurable from the GUI, either stuffed into misc or in a separate addons page where their functions can be turned on or off as the user desires. Certain addons, like Infinite Worlds (which is quite the drastic mod) should be considered a gameplay mod like any other entity or graphical addon, but be included in the game as a headless function mod. And as the user continues to play games with extra features,, they to wiil accrue their functions, and inspired users could play these mappacks and use features from each one if they so desired, now that they saw how such entities work.

Camewel

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 12:55

Interesting trivia: all the 1.6 mods will have to be remade anyway when SE comes out.

Also the whole addon system seems like 10x the work it's worth.

Chippy348

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 12:58

Automatik wrote:Are you sure? because I've never heard about it being in SE.
I remember saw it somewhere long ago

Camewel

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 13:23

I just checked and it's in SE.

lovechild

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 22:18

Camewel wrote:Interesting trivia: all the 1.6 mods will have to be remade anyway when SE comes out.

Honestly it is, but there are a lot of stupid people who will get their hands on this game and not ever know how to mod it, so the ability to install mods for a host to have the correct setup available for everyone, and the ability for map makers to demand mods to be used for playability, and to have al that happen automagically will ensure mari0 is the best it can be for as many people as possible, regardless their skill of using a PC or capacity of intelligence. (You have to be pretty smart to play the game in the first place but I digress.)

Plus, it'd be awesome if mari0 somehow made it onto Steam or Desura, lol -- It'd be one of the few titles I'm willing to throw money at.

Firaga

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 22:23

lovechild wrote:Plus, it'd be awesome if mari0 somehow made it onto Steam or Desura, lol -- It'd be one of the few titles I'm willing to throw money at.
Mari0 can't go on Steam because of copyright issues (Valves Portal and Nintendo's Mario).

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 23:59

lovechild wrote:
Camewel wrote:Interesting trivia: all the 1.6 mods will have to be remade anyway when SE comes out.

Honestly it is, but there are a lot of stupid people who will get their hands on this game and not ever know how to mod it, so the ability to install mods for a host to have the correct setup available for everyone, and the ability for map makers to demand mods to be used for playability, and to have al that happen automagically will ensure mari0 is the best it can be for as many people as possible, regardless their skill of using a PC or capacity of intelligence. (You have to be pretty smart to play the game in the first place but I digress.)

Plus, it'd be awesome if mari0 somehow made it onto Steam or Desura, lol -- It'd be one of the few titles I'm willing to throw money at.
You can throw money at Mari0, just don't expect to buy it.

Gramanaitor

Post » 06 Jul 2013, 01:54

How about the Blue Koopa Shell power-ups from NSMB?

Camewel

Post » 06 Jul 2013, 02:30

lovechild wrote:it'd be awesome if mari0 somehow made it onto Steam or Desura, lol -- It'd be one of the few titles I'm willing to throw money at.
Put your money where your mouth is.

lovechild

Post » 06 Jul 2013, 18:31

Koopas are absolutely ridiculous. I had some puzzles that involved koopas and vertical hard light bridges, they just go right through it. Koopas don't care about doors. Bowser has no weight, and cannot handle a button. Not even setting a box down helps to make them bounce where I want them.

Will more things interact with in-game enemies? Because koopa shells would make for an ideal, yet primitive analog of an energy ball puzzle.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 06 Jul 2013, 20:06

lovechild wrote:Koopas are absolutely ridiculous. I had some puzzles that involved koopas and vertical hard light bridges, they just go right through it. Koopas don't care about doors. Bowser has no weight, and cannot handle a button. Not even setting a box down helps to make them bounce where I want them.

Will more things interact with in-game enemies? Because koopa shells would make for an ideal, yet primitive analog of an energy ball puzzle.
Well, if it is useful, I implemented this feature where Bowser and some other entities (like mushrooms) activate buttons in my mod, if you're interested. I'll release it really, really soon, so you can already make some levels with those buttons if you want :)

Superjustinbros

Post » 07 Jul 2013, 03:20

lovechild wrote: Will more things interact with in-game enemies? Because koopa shells would make for an ideal, yet primitive analog of an energy ball puzzle.
Don't forget certain enemies not dying when touching a laser. There was one map pack that had Hammer Bros. and Bowser abusing their invulnerability to lasers.

Kexaihami

Post » 07 Jul 2013, 08:18

lovechild wrote:It'd be one of the few titles I'm willing to throw money at.
GUISE, I'm throwing money at my screen, and nothing's happening.

[/digression]
Delay circuits (Circuits that work like clocks, except, only apply a pulse a few seconds /after/ it turns off)

lovechild

Post » 07 Jul 2013, 13:34

Kexaihami wrote:
lovechild wrote:It'd be one of the few titles I'm willing to throw money at.
GUISE, I'm throwing money at my screen, and nothing's happening.

[/digression]
Delay circuits (Circuits that work like clocks, except, only apply a pulse a few seconds /after/ it turns off)
You can already kind of do that with switches and clocks in tandem. But it really does suck that I cannot create conditionals based on switches ("This must be on first before that button is active" sort of stuff)

Hugo, you can hold off on that -- Take your time, make it right. Though it would be nice if we could specify what can go through an emancipation grill -- It would make for some sick clever puzzles where certain enemies are allowed to pass, but others are not. Combined with some basic pixel art, prohibit signs for certain entities can be made by people to integrate these elements into puzzles.

TurretBot

Post » 07 Jul 2013, 16:50

when a koopa goes through an emancitpation grid it should change into a shell (and never come out, because the koopa died just not its shell)

lovechild

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 14:38

lovechild wrote:It would make for some sick clever puzzles where certain enemies are allowed to pass, but others are not. Combined with some basic pixel art, prohibit signs for certain entities can be made by people to integrate these elements into puzzles.
Oh. My. Gosh.
If someone can make a mod, whereby linking prohibit signs to emancipation grills would then make that entity prohibited, that would work SO nicely. That, and emancipation grills should be switch-operated anyway.

Also, excursion funnels? Those were switch-based puzzle elements too. And turrets. C'mon Maurice, turrets! Those were Portal staples! The bullets could function like gel that never falls, whereby upon touch it hurts Mario, and can thereby be blocked by light bridges.

Panels? Well, not panels in the conventional sense, but panel entities that appear as, say, a white and black square, and right-clicking on it would prompt two buttons to pick what will be block 1, and what will be block 2. These entities can then use blocks that already exist, which can then be switch-operated to say, make an unportableable wall suddenly become portalable. If there were more entity generators like Bullet Bills (i.e. the infinitely-spawning goombas from SMB3), it'd also be a good way to puzzles that make enemies mandatory, or for the player to make a puzzle more hazardous to use an enemy entity of some sort to proceed further.

LightningFire

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 15:17

Turret Opera wrote:when a koopa goes through an emancitpation grid it should change into a shell (and never come out, because the koopa died just not its shell)
You do know it's supposed to be the other way around, right? The shell should get desintegrated, not the Koopa.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 17:28

Turret Opera wrote:when a koopa goes through an emancitpation grid it should change into a shell (and never come out, because the koopa died just not its shell)
LightningFire wrote:You do know it's supposed to be the other way around, right? The shell should get desintegrated, not the Koopa.
Neither of them. Theoretically, according to Portal 2 dialogues, the Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grill is supposed to disintegrate any non-organic material. So both koopa and it's shell should remain intact (if we consider that shells are organic, because they are in this case)...

TurretBot

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 21:01

then why do goomba's die?
also, in that case then bullet bills and hammers should be blocked by emancipation grills

HansAgain

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 21:09

HugoBDesigner wrote:the Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grill is supposed to disintegrate any non-organic material.
In fact, it's supposed to disintegrate any unauthorized equipment, that is the reason why it's possible that it disintegrate the dental prosthesis, ear tubes, etc.

TurretBot

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 21:47

Unauthorized equipment like a koopa (not his shell!) or a goomba.

Automatik

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 21:58

Why should the shell be allowed? The "It's not living" argument don't stand since Mario can pass through, while boxes and portals can't.