[Mappack] [Finished] Pop A Portal [Mari0 +Portal Update]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 04:17

This mappack passes through the abandoned and destroyed Aperture. You're a test subject trying to escape. But GLaDOS, reminding of what Chell did to her, will use anything to try to kill you. But, will you survive to her?

This mappack has custom music, tileset and backgrounds.
Music: "Excellence Is Rewarded" by Harry Callaghan (Harry101UK):
http://youtube.com/Harry101UK

Screenshots: (WARNING! MASSIVE SPOILERS!)

World 1: Abandoned Science
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 2: Conversion Gel
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 3: Repulsion Gel
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 4: Propulsion Gel
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 5: All The Gels
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 6: Wheatley Science
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 7: More Abandoned
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 8: The Part Where She Kills You
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
World 9: DLC World
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

And now it has an alternative download with another mappack that is, basically, the same thing that this mappack, except that it adds time challenges and no checkpoints, for people that likes running with portals.

More:
Poster (thanks to Costinteo)

Menu:

DLC Menu:

GLaDOS's circuits:
Image Image
Image Image

Trailer (Thanks to Costinteo)

Trailer (Thanks to MarioMaker)

Videos/Walkthrough:
World 1 (Thanks to FlutterPie/ZABOLPANFU):

World 2 (Thanks to FlutterPie/ZABOLPANFU):

World 2 - Cake Way (Thanks to FlutterPie/ZABOLPANFU):

World 3 (Thanks to FlutterPie/ZABOLPANFU):

World 4 (Thanks to FlutterPie/ZABOLPANFU):
Current progress:

Completely done

DOWNLOAD:
Pop A Portal - RAR
Pop A Portal - ZIP
Pop A Portal - Time Challenge - RAR
Pop A Portal - Time Challenge - ZIP

If you wanna use the tileset (CREDITS FOR ME):

Thanks for downloading! If you find any issue, please, report me.
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 20 Jul 2013, 06:59, edited 49 times in total.

TripleXero

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 04:59

I'm trying it out right now, and just a suggestion, you should probably use .zip instead of .rar because .rar requires people to download a program to extract and not everyone is going to want to get it. On 1-1 I keep flying through the floor right in the beginning, but I doubt this is an issue in your mappack, more likely a Mari0 glitch. As I played through the level, it became kinda laggy, but that might be my computer. 1-2 something similar happened with the collision again, again probably not your fault, but here's a picture of it (drew with my mouse that's why its jagged)

1-2 also got kinda laggy at the end. I like the tileset, the background, and the music a lot. The puzzles are pretty easy, which isn't bad. These are the first two level and it might get harder. I have no complaints

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 06:10

TripleXero wrote:I'm trying it out right now, and just a suggestion, you should probably use .zip instead of .rar because .rar requires people to download a program to extract and not everyone is going to want to get it.
Oh, thanks! I'll do this on the next update (I'll probably add both .rar and .zip, so people can choose).
TripleXero wrote: On 1-1 I keep flying through the floor right in the beginning, but I doubt this is an issue in your mappack, more likely a Mari0 glitch.
Strange. I tested my mappack again and it didn't happened. I placed the spawn in the right place...
TripleXero wrote: As I played through the level, it became kinda laggy, but that might be my computer.
Maybe this is caused by the music and the huge backgrounds. I can't say if it's laggy because of my mappack, because my computer is really slow. But, to make it less laggy, I've reduced the music file's size before release. It helped a bit.
TripleXero wrote: 1-2 something similar happened with the collision again, again probably not your fault, but here's a picture of it (drew with my mouse that's why its jagged)
1-2 also got kinda laggy at the end.
Also strange. Are you playing in the normal Mari0 (without mods)? It didn't happened to me too...
TripleXero wrote: I like the tileset, the background, and the music a lot. The puzzles are pretty easy, which isn't bad. These are the first two level and it might get harder. I have no complaints
Thanks! So I've got what I wanted: the music, backgrounds and tileset are working fine. Also, the tests will become harder and harder in the future (and the ending even harder!!!). Again, thanks for the feedback!

TripleXero

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 06:19

I badly worded the 1-1 collision thing, sorry. By beginning I meant early in the level not exactly the start.  It was at the point where you place the portals so you do the infinite loop to gain speed then place the higher portal to the right so you can get high enough to proceed, but instead I fly below the portal instead of up.  (Spoiler because don't wanna ruin any puzzles). Also, no mods, plain Mari0

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 07:46

TripleXero wrote:I badly worded the 1-1 collision thing, sorry. By beginning I meant early in the level not exactly the start.  It was at the point where you place the portals so you do the infinite loop to gain speed then place the higher portal to the right so you can get high enough to proceed, but instead I fly below the portal instead of up.  (Spoiler because don't wanna ruin any puzzles). Also, no mods, plain Mari0
This already happened to me, in another mappack. It's a Mari0 bug. The best solution is: try to use the minimum of momentum (in a vertical loop). If you start going really fast for a long time, it will probably happen again. Also, updated to 1-3, added .rar and .zip files and fixed somethings in 1-1 and 1-2 :)

TheSeek

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 14:28

On both zip and rar downloads i get this:
probably it got blocked cuz of the "halls of science 4" song in them.

Camewel

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 17:26

Try to avoid using copyrighted music in your mappack as you are essentially giving away the music for free and companies generally don't like that.
As for falling through blocks, that's probably TripleXero having a slower computer than you. Maurice's collision engine only checks for collisions each frame, so if in one frame you are on one side of a wall, and in the next frame you're on the other side, you will travel straight through the wall.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 09 Apr 2013, 11:35

Okay, I'll have to remove the music so :(

But don't worry. In the next update I will remove the custom music, and create my own. But I will add later...
Thanks for warning me :)

Costinteo

Post » 09 Apr 2013, 21:16

This looks like an interesting map! I'll check it out in the next update *as TheSeek said, permission is denied*. Until then, wish you luck!

P.S: You could also try this. I don't think it's copyrighted, but you should ask for permission to use it. If you want to be quicker, here something from Mozart. I find it rather suiting if you ask me. Suggest you to use FLVTO MP3 CONVERTER. It's free, easy-to-use and awesome.

Costinteo

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 08:27

Hmm... The download works fine now. I'll test the mappack and tell you my impression.
So first of all, I must say you impressed me with the level design. I like it. I also saw that you didn't put any music..

Everything was fine and dandy and puzzles were getting harder by the level and then...
1-3 last puzzle is bugged? I can't pass. Yes it's a question mark because I thought of most stuff and yet I can't get to the finish line..  I thought that you wanted to put a portal where the laser is and after that put it at the 2-different-white-portalable "bricks". But maybe I'm wrong, because if you do this, I think you still can't pass.. Oh well, you could take a look and tell me what's wrong, 'cause I don't really get it. 
(the video isn't uploaded yet if it doesn't work, it's going to be in like 40 mins <<don't ask>>. it shows me trying to pass it)

Also 1-4 last puzzle needs a reset pipe... What if you got here:
WITHOUT the cube. You can't possibly get out without a reset pipe or 2 portalable surfaces.

Either than those 2 reasons, the mappack was great and I can't wait to see more.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 09:45

Costinteo wrote:Hmm... The download works fine now. I'll test the mappack and tell you my impression.
So first of all, I must say you impressed me with the level design. I like it. I also saw that you didn't put any music..
Thanks! It's without music for now. I'll soon add music, but I was more worried with the maps...
Costinteo wrote: Everything was fine and dandy and puzzles were getting harder by the level and then...
1-3 last puzzle is bugged? I can't pass. Yes it's a question mark because I thought of most stuff and yet I can't get to the finish line..  I thought that you wanted to put a portal where the laser is and after that put it at the 2-different-white-portalable "bricks". But maybe I'm wrong, because if you do this, I think you still can't pass.. Oh well, you could take a look and tell me what's wrong, 'cause I don't really get it. 
(the video isn't uploaded yet if it doesn't work, it's going to be in like 40 mins <<don't ask>>. it shows me trying to pass it)
This part I made to be a little bit harder. But the solution is easy:

(Sorry for the video's quality, but I made it really quick, so you could see the solution).
Costinteo wrote: Also 1-4 last puzzle needs a reset pipe... What if you got here:
WITHOUT the cube. You can't possibly get out without a reset pipe or 2 portalable surfaces.
Thanks for telling me! I completely forgot about this possibility... Fixed for the next update!
Costinteo wrote: Either than those 2 reasons, the mappack was great and I can't wait to see more.
Thanks! But I'll try to make less updates. It's really annoying back to this topic just to play 1 more level. My next update will have the World 2 finished, instead of only 2-1.

Smear-Gel

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 23:58

This was awesome! The tiles especially were pretty top notch stuff. I got stuck at 1-3 as well though. I think maybe the white tiles are in the wrong position. Besides that though, I had a lot of fun and you are a great map maker.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 18:59

Smear-Gel wrote:This was awesome! The tiles especially were pretty top notch stuff. I got stuck at 1-3 as well though. I think maybe the white tiles are in the wrong position. Besides that though, I had a lot of fun and you are a great map maker.
Thanks! I fixed it for the next update.

Smear-Gel

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 19:34

Glad I could help!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 12:23

Smear-Gel wrote:Glad I could help!
Fixed and updated! I added an emancipation grill, and re-added the custom music!
EDIT: You were talking about going to the button without the cube or about the light bridge part?

maidenTREE

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 17:12

And the tiles remind me of the original Mari0 Beta that Saso and Maurice have!

Automatik

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 18:35

Turtley3 wrote:And the tiles remind me of the original Mari0 Beta that Saso and Maurice have!
Hmm? How did they look?

Anyways, the tileset is great, and the levels are also good(except the passage Smear-Gel mentioned, but you can do it with bullettime.)

Flutter Skye

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 18:46

Automatik wrote:
Turtley3 wrote:And the tiles remind me of the original Mari0 Beta that Saso and Maurice have!
Hmm? How did they look?

Anyways, the tileset is great, and the levels are also good(except the passage Smear-Gel mentioned, but you can do it with bullettime.)
Found in Mari0.
@Topic Can you tell the name of the new music ?

maidenTREE

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 18:48

Not that tileset, the one in one of Renhoek's topics! The one in the SMB3 tiles post. Yeah, and the last 2 tiles in the very bottom look a lot like Redstone Repeaters.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 18:59

FlutterPie wrote:
Automatik wrote:
Hmm? How did they look?

Found in Mari0.
@Topic Can you tell the name of the new music ?
It's on the main post :)

Flutter Skye

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 19:02

Yay you choosen my idea to use Harry's production:)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 20:33

FlutterPie wrote:Yay you choosen my idea to use Harry's production:)
Yeah, thanks for the hint :)

TheSeek

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 21:53

Awesome mappack and cool puzzles, great job.
Last edited by TheSeek on 14 Apr 2013, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 22:04

TheSeek wrote:Awesome mappack and cool puzzles, great job.
Thanks!It's really cool read these things! I'll be doing much more :)

TheSeek

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 22:22

On 2-4:
sometimes no matter how you place the orange portal(either more on the left or right of where i placed it in the screenshot), the part under the blue portal won't get painted with the white gel, just the corner will.
BTW, it lags a bit here and there, and a lot during 2-4, but it might be my netbook not being powerful enough.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 15 Apr 2013, 02:52

TheSeek wrote:On 2-4:
sometimes no matter how you place the orange portal(either more on the left or right of where i placed it in the screenshot), the part under the blue portal won't get painted with the white gel, just the corner will.
BTW, it lags a bit here and there, and a lot during 2-4, but it might be my netbook not being powerful enough.
Strange... My PC is REALLY LAGGY (to the point of turning off sometimes while I'm playing Mari0), but it never happened. Both blocks got painted every time :(

Flutter Skye

Post » 15 Apr 2013, 13:01

I made a video , cause i love this mappack.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 15 Apr 2013, 17:37

FlutterPie wrote:I made a video , cause i love this mappack.
Just... AWESOME!!! Man, this is so cool, thanks!
Posted on the main post as a walkthrough (if you don't want it, just tell me) :)
Also, if you're planning to make a video for World 2, don't make it yet. There's a thing I wanna fix before you make it.
Again, thanks :D

EDIT: Fixed World 2 :)

Flutter Skye

Post » 16 Apr 2013, 10:41

I make world 2 later today :)
I edit this post when i'm done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DED71Db5fMA *go to my channel*
How to beat 2-4 ?
Last edited by Flutter Skye on 17 Apr 2013, 17:55, edited 2 times in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 17 Apr 2013, 00:11

FlutterPie wrote:I make world 2 later today :)
I edit this post when i'm done.

How to beat 2-4 ?
I saw your video before you posted it here :)
I'm rendering a video to show you how to do it, and in a few minutes I'll edit this post.

EDIT: Done! Sorry for the video quality, but I made quickly :)

Mari0Maker

Post » 17 Apr 2013, 03:50

I saw that you added some custom music (that worked), and thought that you might like this song too.
I just heard it yesterday, and it sounded like a Portal-like song you'd hear in the game.
Anyways, it is from Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, and is the Secret Mine theme.

Here is a video preview:
And here is the download:
Download
It loops perfectly, and I converted it to .ogg too.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 18 Apr 2013, 12:02

I want to wait till this is finished, however I can already tell this will possibly be one of the most amazing mappacks on the forum. the logic such as the and & or gates remind me of one of my favourite videogames, LittleBIGPlanet, and I just can't wait to see this grow.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Apr 2013, 12:08

Mari0Maker wrote:I saw that you added some custom music (that worked), and thought that you might like this song too.
I just heard it yesterday, and it sounded like a Portal-like song you'd hear in the game.
Anyways, it is from Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, and is the Secret Mine theme.

Here is a video preview:
And here is the download:
Download
It loops perfectly, and I converted it to .ogg too.
Thanks! I really liked the music, but doesn't fit my "Portal 2" theme. I want to give to the player a Portal 2 feeling more than a Mario feeling, and that's why there's no 8-bit textures. But I'm doing another mappack, and I'll maybe use this one.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:I want to wait till this is finished, however I can already tell this will possibly be one of the most amazing mappacks on the forum. the logic such as the and & or gates remind me of one of my favourite videogames, LittleBIGPlanet, and I just can't wait to see this grow.
Thanks! I'm working a lot on this project, so you'll not have to wait so much :)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Apr 2013, 19:08

@FlutterPie I finished World 3, if you wanna check out. Also, I've made a small fix in World 2 (2-1), but nothing to worry about, you'll not need to make another video. Thanks :)

Flutter Skye

Post » 18 Apr 2013, 19:11

HugoBDesigner wrote:@FlutterPie I finished World 3, if you wanna check out. Also, I've made a small fix in World 2 (2-1), but nothing to worry about, you'll not need to make another video. Thanks :)
Tommorow or today.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 21 Apr 2013, 16:04

FlutterPie wrote:Tommorow or today.
All right, take your time :)

Also, updated for World 4 and updated my tileset, for anyone's interest.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 21 Apr 2013, 20:30

@Everyone: If you downloaded the "W4 update", there's a small fix I made. So, download again to play normally.
Thanks, Hugo (HugoBDesigner).

Costinteo

Post » 21 Apr 2013, 20:40

Hey bro! I would love to do a walkthrough aswell if you're ok with it!
Last edited by Costinteo on 21 Apr 2013, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 21 Apr 2013, 20:59

Costinteo wrote:Hey bro! I would love to do a walkthrough aswell if you're ok with it!
Thanks, man! FlutterPie is already making one, but I would love to have two different perspectives of playing (even to see if the mappack is too easy, hard, boring or anything without being me playing it). Post your channel, so I can accompany your progress :)

Costinteo

Post » 21 Apr 2013, 21:00

Sure thing, I just wanted to start today, but it seems my Mari0 keeps crashing. Gonna try the source game for love. If that won't work, gonna post something on technical issues.

-edit-
Nevermind, I fixed it. Apparently somebody else had it too. It was my mappack that needed a mod to run. (I messed around with Extra Entities)

-edit2-
Soo.. I have a bit of a problem... My computer is too fast.... Yep, you heard me. Portals move too fast, mouse goes too fast, can't think. xD It's just way too fast. It's really hard to play some parts, but I love the mappack so far!

Flutter Skye

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 09:12

Video of world 3 is done , later i upload it to Youtube.
Also for some reason it is also VERY fast for me .

popcan12

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 11:49

Wow Flutterpie, you're pretty fast.

Flutter Skye

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 12:56

popcan12 wrote:Wow Flutterpie, you're pretty fast.
In what ? In the mappack if i play normally (without bandicam) everything goes pretty fast (gels , etc) But with Bandicam it goes slower.
If you mean the video , then it's uploading.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 17:06

FlutterPie wrote:Video of world 3 is done , later i upload it to Youtube.
Also for some reason it is also VERY fast for me .
I'll check it in a few minutes, thanks :)
Costinteo wrote:Sure thing, I just wanted to start today, but it seems my Mari0 keeps crashing. Gonna try the source game for love. If that won't work, gonna post something on technical issues.

-edit-
Nevermind, I fixed it. Apparently somebody else had it too. It was my mappack that needed a mod to run. (I messed around with Extra Entities)

-edit2-
Soo.. I have a bit of a problem... My computer is too fast.... Yep, you heard me. Portals move too fast, mouse goes too fast, can't think. xD It's just way too fast. It's really hard to play some parts, but I love the mappack so far!
The recording programs always slow down the gameplay. Trust me, they ALWAYS slow down the game a little bit. Try playing while recording, it'll be much more easier. Also, thanks :)

Costinteo

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 17:21

I played WHILE recording. :(

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 17:25

Costinteo wrote:I played WHILE recording. :(
Oh my... Can't you just reduce the mouse sensitivity, or open a big program together, to slow down your PC a little bit? Also, is it something so fast that you can't even play? Because this is a rare case :o

Costinteo

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 17:43

It kinda is! xD I'll post some footage later to show you. Maybe it's just me.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 18:38

Costinteo wrote:It kinda is! xD I'll post some footage later to show you. Maybe it's just me.
All right then. Also, again, can you send me your channel? this way I can check for these videos and update them in my post...

Flutter Skye

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 18:41

Constineo (Sorry if spelled wrong) Download Microsoft Security Essentials , it's a free antivirus and it will probably slow down you game (and computer)

Costinteo

Post » 22 Apr 2013, 18:48

I can't REALLY believe I'm looking for stuff to slow my computer... Anyways, after like 30 tries I get it right.... But it would be very boring to do that in a video, so I don't think I'll be doing a plathrough. If you do another map more Mario-ish, less portal action I'll totally playthrough that one. I hope you don't mind.