Is it possible to build a Command & Conquer like game?

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
SuperScourge

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 08:51

I been wondering there's a Command & Conquer like game called OpenRA and it's based on Westwood's Classic C&C Engine. I also wanna know if it's possible to build such likeness of it's engine in love and create a working Command & Conquer like game that is 2d and acts like the original Command & Conquer games?

I been playing around Command & Conquer Red Alert for quite sometime and I would love to have a team of coders to have my own Command & Conquer game up and ready to play with and it includes online multiplayer, plus there can be fan-made expansion packs to extend this to have more missions to play then the main default ones I put into it.

Camewel

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 17:43

SuperScourge wrote:I also wanna know if it's possible to build such likeness of it's engine in love and create a working Command & Conquer like game that is 2d and acts like the original Command & Conquer games?
Yes it's possible.
SuperScourge wrote:I would love to have a team of coders to have my own Command & Conquer game
SuperScourge wrote:online multiplayer
haha no

Automatik

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 18:38

Well sure, it's possible(even multiplayer). but NO ONE is gonna do a whole c&c just for you (and dont even think about having your place in the credits).

Remember, a idea guy is the least thing needed for a game. If you can't program, do art or music, you shouldn't hope about being the leader of a game team.

Also, multiplayer is hard, and no one on this forum except maurice(and actually, I think that since it was the 1st time he do that, he must be pretty bad.) know how to do multiplayer games

Camewel

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 21:23

Just to spite you I'm going to spend tomorrow making my old pong game online.

SuperScourge

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 02:39

I Could spend looking at the main engine and get it all working is tricky the original command and conquer was nothing but sprites on a 2d map, I'm working on a menu that is based around C&C Red Alert which would take time to make it as good for my menu soon gonna be in 1200 x 700 (needed to take out the 20 pixels of the HD size)

Camewel

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 03:07

SuperScourge wrote:I Could spend looking at the main engine and get it all working is tricky the original command and conquer was nothing but sprites on a 2d map, I'm working on a menu that is based around C&C Red Alert which would take time to make it as good for my menu soon gonna be in 1200 x 700 (needed to take out the 20 pixels of the HD size)
This sentence lacks so much coherence I actually have difficulty deciphering what you mean.

SuperScourge

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 03:12

This is for the game HD size is 1280 x 720 and I took out 80 and 20 pixels off to make it fit a 1280 x 800 screen (that is if Mac Users has their dock on the bottom with magnify on) and for the Game I could spend hours researching on how it was done and take notes using MindNode and create nodes with the engine I been playing for hours with. - and the menu is what I'm working on still which is based off from Command & Conquer RED ALERT's

Camewel

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 03:16

HD is 1080 x 1920

And if you're making this game on your own now I guess you're good.

SuperScourge

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 03:47

Camewel wrote:HD is 1080 x 1920

And if you're making this game on your own now I guess you're good.
that's full HD, 720P HD is 1280 x 720 pixels - the window would be too large on a 1280 x 800 pixel res screen I'm at the Love wiki looking at what is needed to be done and stuff here's the conf.lua I've copied over from the wiki to my conf.lua - I use BBEdit which has the LUA programming built-in.

Code: Select all

function love.conf(t)
    t.title = "Command & Conquer Platinum"        -- The title of the window the game is in (string)
    t.author = "SuperScourge"        -- The author of the game (string)
    t.url = nil                 -- The website of the game (string)
    t.identity = nil            -- The name of the save directory (string)
    t.version = "0.8.0"         -- The LÖVE version this game was made for (string)
    t.console = false           -- Attach a console (boolean, Windows only)
    t.release = false           -- Enable release mode (boolean)
    t.screen.width = 1200        -- The window width (number)
    t.screen.height = 700       -- The window height (number)
    t.screen.fullscreen = false -- Enable fullscreen (boolean)
    t.screen.vsync = true       -- Enable vertical sync (boolean)
    t.screen.fsaa = 0           -- The number of FSAA-buffers (number)
    t.modules.joystick = true   -- Enable the joystick module (boolean)
    t.modules.audio = true      -- Enable the audio module (boolean)
    t.modules.keyboard = true   -- Enable the keyboard module (boolean)
    t.modules.event = true      -- Enable the event module (boolean)
    t.modules.image = true      -- Enable the image module (boolean)
    t.modules.graphics = true   -- Enable the graphics module (boolean)
    t.modules.timer = true      -- Enable the timer module (boolean)
    t.modules.mouse = true      -- Enable the mouse module (boolean)
    t.modules.sound = true      -- Enable the sound module (boolean)
    t.modules.physics = true    -- Enable the physics module (boolean)
end
That's the main Conf I've copied over from the wiki and change around to my love project and yes it's called Command & Conquer Platinum OpenRA is already taken I could call it OpenC&C and have it like that.

Qcode

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 04:03

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

SuperScourge

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 04:12

Qcode wrote:So what is that meant to show? That's just copying, pasting and changing values. Not much help if all that does is show up a black screen.
That's just to get it all ready I'll have to create the main.lau still to load up everything I had this idea since I gone back into playing Command & Conquer now.

Automatik

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 07:21

Seriously, don't do this. A first project like that is awful and will NEVER be completed.
The fact that you show your conf.lua like if it was a significant step prove that you don't have the experience required to do that. Before you, there has been hundreds of teenagers on various forums who made topics about how they want to make an awesome MMORPG with no experience at all of game dev. Well no one succeeded.
Trust me, you better start on a easier project, like a pong, or a mario. Being a good coder need lot of effort.

SuperScourge

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 08:45

Automatik wrote:Seriously, don't do this. A first project like that is awful and will NEVER be completed.
The fact that you show your conf.lua like if it was a significant step prove that you don't have the experience required to do that. Before you, there has been hundreds of teenagers on various forums who made topics about how they want to make an awesome MMORPG with no experience at all of game dev. Well no one succeeded.
Trust me, you better start on a easier project, like a pong, or a mario. Being a good coder need lot of effort.
I been pushing myself to get to the basics of Html5 and how to build two engines to run my own Arkanoid Clone and hardly got it running sure I got the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen support on it and everything else I'm using that as a standing point until I see what's needed and stuff in the Conf file

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 13:21

SuperScourge wrote:main.lau
This sums this thread up pretty well.

Automatik

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 18:20

SuperScourge wrote:I been pushing myself to get to the basics of Html5 and how to build two engines to run my own Arkanoid Clone and hardly got it running sure I got the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen support on it and everything else I'm using that as a standing point until I see what's needed and stuff in the Conf file
"I been pushing myself to get to the basics of Html5" Wait, I though you were doing it in love2d/lua?
"and how to build two engines to run" Two engines? Why?
"my own Arkanoid Clone and hardly got it running" If you can't do an arkanoid clone easily, then, you can't do a C&C clone.
"sure I got the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen support on it "Ah, so, your C&C clone will be in love2d/lua for IOS?
"and everything else I'm using that as a standing point until I see what's needed and stuff in the Conf file" FYI, the conf.lua is the least important file in any love2d game.
Maurice wrote:
Yes, because a typo mean that you're a bad coder.

Bonko

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 23:43

SuperScourge wrote: I been pushing myself to get to the basics of Html5
That's like one of the easiest programming languages, and it's for making websites.

TheSeek

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 00:15

Bonko wrote:
SuperScourge wrote: I been pushing myself to get to the basics of Html5
That's like one of the easiest programming languages, and it's for making websites.
there are tons of games made with html5.

SuperScourge

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 03:07

Automatik wrote:
SuperScourge wrote:I been pushing myself to get to the basics of Html5 and how to build two engines to run my own Arkanoid Clone and hardly got it running sure I got the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen support on it and everything else I'm using that as a standing point until I see what's needed and stuff in the Conf file
"I been pushing myself to get to the basics of Html5" Wait, I though you were doing it in love2d/lua?
"and how to build two engines to run" Two engines? Why?
"my own Arkanoid Clone and hardly got it running" If you can't do an arkanoid clone easily, then, you can't do a C&C clone.
"sure I got the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen support on it "Ah, so, your C&C clone will be in love2d/lua for IOS?
"and everything else I'm using that as a standing point until I see what's needed and stuff in the Conf file" FYI, the conf.lua is the least important file in any love2d game.
Maurice wrote:
Yes, because a typo mean that you're a bad coder.
Html5 is the Arkanoid remake plus the 4-inch screen is a discovery I've found within' the offline web app's screen by just putting width=640 and nothing else

the reason with Two engines is to control two different modes, until I get some html5 books Arkanoid game of mine is on hold.

Qcode

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 03:21

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Automatik

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 12:44

TheSeek wrote:
Bonko wrote:That's like one of the easiest programming languages, and it's for making websites.
there are tons of games made with html5.
I think you mean javascript/canvas.
Canvases are part of html5, but it's still not a programming language, It's a document language, like Latex.
Also, I agree with QCode.