[1.6] Mari0: the Superjustinbros Mod.

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
TheSeek

Post » 06 Mar 2013, 20:32

TripleXero implied you had Windows.
SInce you have OS X, you also need Soundflower(an audio plug-in): follow this tutorial to download it and for instructions to record with Audacity.

Superjustinbros

Post » 06 Mar 2013, 20:39

I also have Windows.

TripleXero

Post » 06 Mar 2013, 20:43

A harder way to do it would be plugging a double sided audio cord into both the sound output and microphone jacks, if you have one somewhere

Superjustinbros

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 02:51

Either way, the mod was updated. I'm hoping I can get the Infinite Sublevels mod from Qcode into this mod someday, and as I said before, everything this mod had into SE.

I'm also hoping on this:
What I'd like is for when the player hits a breakable block with an item entity placed on it and removes all it's contents, the Used Block that sprouts from the breakable block (not ? blocks or invisible blocks) is always defaulted to the grey Used Block on the SMB tileset (Row 5, Column 2) regardless of which theme the current room is set to, where said Used block is colorized based on the overall color set by the original tile, just like how the brick debris is given it's custom color based on what tile was destroyed.

ucenna

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 22:30

Do you plan on change the sound Mari0 makes when you get 100 coins?

Superjustinbros

Post » 08 Mar 2013, 00:15

Guys, I really need to apologize for me taking almost all the credit here, when all I've done is modify the graphics and sounds. By now I don't think there are any other things I should really need to get modded in, so it's best Special Edition gets completed before anything else is added in, unless it's sound or graphical changes.

If the enemy/entity editor is as easy to understand as Maurice said it would be, I'll probably create a plethora of custom enemies, with two skins available: Mari0, or A0zora. Mari0 would be enemies styled after SMB1/2J, which is what vanilla Mari0 uses, while A0zora would be the same, but with the advanced visuals of all the ones this SJB mod incorporates.

With that said, the mod now has Qcode's "Infinite Sublevels" inplamented in, and so I'm not the only one taking credit here, the title screen has been edited to include the names of all the people that developed the features that are used in this mod.

@ucenna:

I've modified the 1UP chime ever since on of the earlier releases of this mod.

ucenna

Post » 08 Mar 2013, 00:43

Oop, Sorry evidentally I wasn't paying attention. I still think you deserve some credit. :)

dragonballfan1231

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 15:20

HOW DO YOU INSTALL IT!?

I would like to know so i can post this as a mod showcase on my youtube channel

Flutter Skye

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 15:25

dragonballfan1231 wrote:HOW DO YOU INSTALL IT!?

Download Love2d https://love2d.org/
Install it.
Download the mod and you can now run it :)

dragonballfan1231

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 15:56

FlutterPie wrote:
dragonballfan1231 wrote:HOW DO YOU INSTALL IT!?

Download Love2d https://love2d.org/
Install it.
Download the mod and you can now run it :)
Thanks I owe ya one! :D

qaisjp

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 22:47

It probably does have some real improvements, but the rest of it is a useless graphics and audio mod.

Superjustinbros

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 23:24

qaisjp wrote:It probably does have some real improvements, but the rest of it is a useless graphics and audio mod.
Useless?

Please explain.

Also there are many more things present than just changing the music and graphics; have a look at the first post.

Qcode

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 23:29

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

qaisjp

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 23:34

I did say it may have some real improvements (and it does), but the *rest* of it isn't anything special. I like what you've done besides the graphics and sound changes.
Most the rest of it are string changes (changing name from Mario to the one specified in this topic), audio and image changes.

I don't want to come off as cocky, but I'm being honest; in the love2d forum I say things how they are -if it's nothing special it's nothing special. I do, however, appreciate and show that the efforts of newcomers and "first time" mods/games aren't rubbish.

Superjustinbros

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 05:20

When SE comes out, I think I'll just port over the graphics from this mod and not the sound and music.

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 03:50

Okay guys, due to idiot9.0 and Camewel's complaints, but the music and SFX have been reverted back to their vanilla Mari0 tracks until I can find good music that everyone can agree with.

This is the closest I'm getting to a new overworld theme.

Sky

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 05:02

Superjustinbros wrote:Okay guys, due to idiot9.0 and Camewel's complaints, but the music and SFX have been reverted back to their vanilla Mari0 tracks until I can find good music that everyone can agree with.
You're not going to please everyone, so just try to please the majority. Or yourself, whichever your priorities may be. Don't be too worried if one or two people complain about the music, that's normal. I'm not saying the two complaints you addressed have no weight, but I am saying to use caution, because you've changed the music... uh... how many times? And it's still not good enough.

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 07:26

WillWare wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote:Okay guys, due to idiot9.0 and Camewel's complaints, but the music and SFX have been reverted back to their vanilla Mari0 tracks until I can find good music that everyone can agree with.
You're not going to please everyone, so just try to please the majority. Or yourself, whichever your priorities may be. Don't be too worried if one or two people complain about the music, that's normal. I'm not saying the two complaints you addressed have no weight, but I am saying to use caution, because you've changed the music... uh... how many times? And it's still not good enough.
And that was part of the reason I ultimately dropped the custom sound edits to begin with, since my selections for BGM never fit as well as I initially would hope, and since I went through so many songs throughout the duration of the mod's updates, I figured just revert it to the standard SMB soundtrack and sound effects (even if the castle theme doesn't loop properly).

If it was possible to assign a multitude of different custom songs to a mappack, I'd keep the custom songs to A0zora or any other major mappack I'd create from scratch, while everything else gets the SMB OST and/or any custom songs they use. If all else fails, I could make a version of the mod with edited music/FX but just keep it private, while the version with the vanilla sound files is what I put up for download, especially if I was the only one who agreed with my soundtrack choices.

Off-topic, but my birthday is this Friday.

renhoek

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 08:35

(I'll think of a way to celebrate)

I absolutely love that music but I'm not sure it's right for a game as slow as mari0... Unless speed gel everywhere.

idiot9.0

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 08:59

Okay first off, stop saying it's due to my complaints. I can't speak for Camewel but I don't like being singled out like this. I don't care if I'm the only one who openly said anything regarding your mod or mappack, don't say specific users. It's a quick way to make enemies and piss people (me) off.

Second off, if a few people complain and/or have problems with it, then that's the problems of those people. In the end it's your mod (and your mappack, since this ties directly into A0zora) and you should make it however you want. Critique is great and all and in the end it helps you improve. But it's all your choice to listen to that critique. Some parts you may agree on and some you may not. In the end though you should only change parts that you want to change for the better, not just because "a few people complained".
Also what I did with my review was critique, not complaining.

Third off, I do enjoy that music you posted. I wouldn't mind listening to that during levels.

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 09:54

Okay Idiot. I won't use your criticism as the source of me ridding of any sound modifications from this mod anymore. I'm sorry.

Truth be told I was getting quite sick of the music choices I had prior to the initional reverting to vanilla Mari0. If I do decide to change the music, the only ones I potentially have fully conformed is the theme from my last post for overworld maps. As for everything else, I was thinking of doing Aqua Man's theme for underwater levels and one of the level themes from J.J. & Jeff for castle levels (it was in a prior version of the mod).

As I mentioned earlier, I'll see about doing two versions; one with the changed music, and one without. So if for any reason you do not prefer my audio choices, you can play with standard vanilla tunes.

Automatik

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 13:17

Someone could do a mod so that you can choose in-game the kind of music you want.

Superjustinbros

Post » 06 Jul 2013, 08:06

Okay everyone, I've decided to make a few changes/improvements over the last version of this mod.

*Fixed one pixel on Aozora's fireball toss sprite
*Added in numerous additional values for platforms, firebars, logic gates, and timers (thanks to Gallas and Turret for the description on adding values)
*Redid some text in the menus and editor.
*Bundled together numerous new shaders from both Mari0Maker and Kexaihami; they are both credited on the title screen along with everyone else responsible for bringing the mod's many features to life.

Download in the first post, as per usual.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 06 Jul 2013, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Camewel

Post » 06 Jul 2013, 16:09

Superjustinbros wrote:*Added in numerous additional values for platforms, firebars, logic gates, and timers (thanks to Gallas for the description on adding values)
As little as I like to say it, you mean Turret.

Superjustinbros

Post » 27 Oct 2013, 01:53

Quite the extreme bump, I know, but I felt like bringing up I made a few upgrades to the mod here and there:

*Improved scrolling
*Many of the "ported" maps (minus ROM hacks) I've been involved in are now included as DLC maps (for some reason I can't get them to display in the right tab). Includes SMB Extended, SMBS (both the PC88 and Sharp X1 versions), Super Boy II, The Great Giana Sisters, ZX Mario, and SMBDX's Vs. Mode.
*Altered "Toad"'s text for when he's rescued.

Superjustinbros

Post » 27 Dec 2013, 21:10

Would anyone out there like to help me in a version of the SJB mod that works on OSX Mavericks?

Automatik

Post » 27 Dec 2013, 23:15

Ok, I'll do it asap.
Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuxlq21dcio93 ... verick.zip
Alternatively, there is that version of love 0.8.0 which support maverickbut I can't find it. which is here:
https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/downloa ... osx-ub.zip

Superjustinbros

Post » 10 Jan 2014, 18:44

Late, but thanks Automatik.

Anyways I got an error message when I tried to use the Undo feature.
1. Attempt to select multiple tiles at once by holding Ctrl
2. Accidentally scroll the mouse outside the game with the mouse button still held.
3. Move the cursor back into the game window, and watch how you accidentally place tiles in wrong places.
4. Attempt to undo via Ctrl+Z
5. Error message!

Superjustinbros

Post » 29 Aug 2016, 02:42

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2d023a0z0bjv ... .love?dl=0

Download fixed and updated. Here's to hoping for a SE version someday.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 29 Aug 2016, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Qcode

Post » 29 Aug 2016, 03:26

You use a mac right? If so, there was a problem with the way love 0.8 handled opening files with OSX 10.9 and higher.
See this thread for a fixed download: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74372

Superjustinbros

Post » 29 Aug 2016, 07:24

Thanks; I was able to get it fixed and the link was updated.

Superjustinbros

Post » 31 Aug 2016, 05:03

Did a few more updates, all the shaders and additional values have been re-added. There is still custom music and sounds, though I may be tempted to do a version of the mod that uses vanilla SMB1 sounds (some re-recorded, like the castle theme) for those that don't like the music/sound changes. I also have the idea of offering to play the mod with the original Mari0 graphics, both sprites and tiles getting some minor touchups (without going into NEStopia's palette)

These are a few other ideas the could be done to improve the mod (and 1.6 in general) without adding in additional PNG graphics, entities, or doing a straight SE conversion.

>Configure offsets of freshly-thrown fireballs to the left, so left and right-thrown fireballs start at exact opposite sides.
>Implement shelled enemies toping over when bumped from below instead of dying
>If custom music is enabled and is active on the current map, custom music should mute while star theme plays
>If there are more values than what a dropdown window can display, it is repositioned upwards/downwards so all options are present on-screen at once.
>When traveling to the left, the camera starts scrolling at 10 blocks instead of 6, like when moving right.
>When the player jumps directly on a shelled enemy that’s toppled over, the player will always be bounced upwards instead of by chance depending on how close to the center of the shell the player is.
>When setting video filters in the Options menu, pressing the Enter Key on a filter automatically resets it back to None.
>When you start testing a sublevel, it loads that sublevel's BG instead of the main level's BG.
>Checkpoints are configured to work in sub levels
>Enemies can properly spawn facing/moving right if the player is moving left (this is something that affects a level or two in O' Brothers, such as 2-3, and any instance where the player has to platform towards the left)
>Cheep Cheeps configured to not weigh down falling platforms and lifts
>Option to disable mazes through Options (as they were abandoned in SE, excluding the SMB1 mappack, and can be somewhat buggy)
>Alternate "Mac-Friendly" controls for the editor, which would remap Control+[Key] shortcuts and the mouse wheel button to different keys (as on Macs these trigger zooming in/out and bringing up the Dash Board/Mission Control respectively)
>When in the "Maps" section of the editor menu, hitting Left/Right arrow keys does the effects of the "Previous/Next Page" buttons.
>Option to switch between "Classic" and "SE" map selection interfearances.
>(MAYBE) An ability to directly read non-converted 1.6 mappacks which when saved are re-made into SE map packs.

A LÖVE 10 version is also a possibility, of people prefer 1.6 for one reason or another.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 11 Sep 2016, 01:13, edited 8 times in total.

Eden GT

Post » 31 Aug 2016, 11:34

Sorry, but where's the unfinished SMB hack port 'Paper Sai'?
EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread to ask.

Superjustinbros

Post » 31 Aug 2016, 12:57

Eden GT wrote:Sorry, but where's the unfinished SMB hack port 'Paper Sai'?
EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread to ask.
You can find it in the SJB archive mappack collection, it was given an update to include a few more maps, including Paper Sai.