Localization

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
momeachair

Post » 31 Mar 2016, 16:17

Heya Community,

I localizer software for the Irish language and I was looking to see if it was possible to localize mari0. I understand the text may be graphically constructed, rather than coming from msg-trunks, but I thought it was worth asking. I have a crew of translators who will share the translation and testing work with me. Should I dig around in the source, or would this be done elsewhere?
I can be contacted on Twitter @momeachair, if you would rather that / would like to verify my working in L10n.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Technochips

Post » 31 Mar 2016, 16:21

mari0 is english only, did you even opened the game and looked up at the option to see any language settings?
oh i think there's a few mods that support multi-language

HugoBDesigner

Post » 31 Mar 2016, 20:46

Julien12150 wrote:mari0 is english only, did you even opened the game and looked up at the option to see any language settings?
oh i think there's a few mods that support multi-language
I don't think you even understand what he said but sure, being an asshole will definitely help.

He was asking if Mari0 had support for multiple languages to be added, not if it was already in the game.
He was offering translating the game. And yes, there is a mod that supports multi-language: mine, which is bad, because it's a messy code and a buggy mod.
momeachair wrote:Heya Community,

I localizer software for the Irish language and I was looking to see if it was possible to localize mari0. I understand the text may be graphically constructed, rather than coming from msg-trunks, but I thought it was worth asking. I have a crew of translators who will share the translation and testing work with me. Should I dig around in the source, or would this be done elsewhere?
I can be contacted on Twitter @momeachair, if you would rather that / would like to verify my working in L10n.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
If you would like to, I could try and copy the code from my mod and make a separated mod with multi-language support. You can check my mod's thread to see it in action (I also included support for special characters, punctuation and uppercase letters), but here's a quick example:

momeachair

Post » 01 Apr 2016, 00:32

Thanks for your reply HugoBDesigner, for posting the link to your mod, and for understanding my goal!
Localization is really important Julien 12150,

Character encoding isn't normally an issue for Gailge (Irish language), but I guess you never do know. I can try out editing the Gaeilge strings into your source (v. 1.1 or 1.0?) and see how that goes, or would that work? Sorry, I havn't gotten a chance to look at your source yet. Busy-busy-busy! :-)
I'll try that out over the weekend, or have a look at the source for your mod at least, and come back on here once I've had a dig around.

Obrigado!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 01 Apr 2016, 03:04

momeachair wrote:Thanks for your reply HugoBDesigner, for posting the link to your mod, and for understanding my goal!
Localization is really important Julien 12150,

Character encoding isn't normally an issue for Gailge (Irish language), but I guess you never do know. I can try out editing the Gaeilge strings into your source (v. 1.1 or 1.0?) and see how that goes, or would that work? Sorry, I havn't gotten a chance to look at your source yet. Busy-busy-busy! :-)
I'll try that out over the weekend, or have a look at the source for your mod at least, and come back on here once I've had a dig around.

Obrigado!
Just gonna say this so that it's not necessary to ask: feel free to look into my code, use it, modify it, republish, etc. I completely agree that this is a nice thing to do, so if you want to take the localization feature out of my mod (which includes other features not compatible with vanilla Mari0), feel free to. If you want, you can take the code for localization and even the pre-existing translations and make a new mod that includes only that, or make a library of some sort. I don't mind it at all :)

And if you want the source code, you can just open up the .love file provided in the Downloads section of my mod's page. I especially recommend looking into the folder "lang" and the files "chars_reference.lua", "main.lua" and "menu.lua", although it might be possible for pieces of code related to localization to be found in other files.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me :D

EDIT: If you want to test it, just add a new file to the "lang" folder. For reference, you can check one of the pre-existing files. It shouldn't be too hard to understand how localization works in my mod (although special characters use a certain string formatting, which you can check on "chars_reference.lua"). You can just copy over an existing localization file and modify it accordingly (I suggesting looking at the Brazilian Portuguese file, since I worked on it myself).