Super Mario Bros Special Remake SE full port

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Sky

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 03:45

Image Image
Image Image

This is coming along a lot faster than I thought it would.

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 08:41

So! Much! Want!
Very well done Will! Lovin' how it looks so far.

A few ideas though if you want to make the SE conversion a bit more polished.

*In 6-3, in the pre-SE version I put a collapsing platform there since Mario had an increased drop speed cap that prevented him from reaching the flagpole he originally could in the original game with a well-timed jump. If you're up for it you could always add one or two Used blocks to the end, like what I did with 2-2 and 8-4's "mid-air entry" pipes.
*In 8-2, the hidden 1-UP placed inside the background castle's large window could be made hidden inside a black "breakable" block, colored just like the window, to prevent it from becoming so obvious to the player.
* I would suggest maybe putting a row of "grate" tiles colored just like the sky in underwater levels/rooms so the player couldn't dip their body out of the water due to SMB1's water levels being one tile higher than SMBS', but that would cause thudding as the player skims the surface of the water.

Sky

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 08:58

Well you're in luck because I JUST GOT DONE!

New features include:
  • New enemies! Barrels, Icicles, Fireballs, Fighter Flies, Sidesteppers, and Upside-down Piranha Plants!
  • New graphics! Now the mappacks look just like the game!
  • The Hummer! Er, the Hammer, just that's how they named it. It gives you invincibility.
  • Levels have been slightly tweaked (seesaws, enemy adjustment, etc.) to be more faithful to the original!
  • An obnoxiously excessive number of exclamation points!
Did someone order a download link? I sure hope so!

renhoek

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 13:45

WillWare wrote:Well you're in luck because I JUST GOT DONE!

New features include:
  • New enemies! Barrels, Icicles, Fireballs, Fighter Flies, Sidesteppers, and Upside-down Piranha Plants!
  • New graphics! Now the mappacks look just like the game!
  • The Hummer! Er, the Hammer, just that's how they named it. It gives you invincibility.
  • Levels have been slightly tweaked (seesaws, enemy adjustment, etc.) to be more faithful to the original!
  • An obnoxiously excessive number of exclamation points!
Did someone order a download link? I sure hope so!
I never expected anyone to get the enemies done so quickly, these look really cool.
I've linked you pack on the first post in case anyone misses them.

Sky

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 16:13

renhoek wrote:I never expected anyone to get the enemies done so quickly, these look really cool.
All in a day's work! Er, quite literally, as it didn't take longer than 10 hours. I wasn't expecting it to be that fast either, especially with all the graphics I had to change.

so is this mappack front-page-worthy now? did we do a good thing? i think we did a good thing, this is the best community mappack on the whole forum in my opinion

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 16:58

*head explodes due to hype overload

Bro, thank you a million for this.

Oddities list incoming
It may just be a bug with the version of SE's beta I'm using but as I mentioned in another thread, some coins don't disappear when you collect them, which is really odd considering back in the days of 1.6, "custom" coins that were collected would be removed like normal.
This poor Blooper got stuck on the pipe.
In the original game, this was a timer-boosting clock. I'm guessing it was made into a Hudson Bee because there's no way to have the game increase the number of seconds currently on the timer.
When I brought up the thing about having a ceiling of grates that matched the sky's color in underwater areas, this was what I was trying to avoid.
I also brought this up in my last post, commenting how we could have a solid black-colored breakable tile be placed here instead of a red brick block so this castle's exterior matches the original.

I also noticed in the X1 version of this mappack, that the Starman doesn't have the RGB Yellow color; it's a bit darker.
And in 2-4 all the castle levels they're present in, the Podobos don't go out high enough to be a threat.
...And when you grab the axe at the end of a world, the bridge chain doesn't go down with the bridge.
With that out of the way, thank you again for this port; I especially love that you added the enemies!

Sky

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 19:28

Superjustinbros wrote:*head explodes due to hype overload

Bro, thank you a million for this.
How are you still typing with a broken head /badjoke
Superjustinbros wrote:Oddities list incoming
Arright, let's do this!
It may just be a bug with the version of SE's beta I'm using but as I mentioned in another thread, some coins don't disappear when you collect them.

It's a bug with SE conversion in general; there's a coin tile underneath the coin object. I had to remove as many as I could find, but apparently I missed some. Do you know exactly where they are?

This poor Blooper got stuck on the pipe.

Partially intentional, let me explain.

I couldn't find any video sources on whether these bloopers can be stomped, whether they leave the water they're in, or whether Mario can even swim in it. I did that to be more "realistic," but I'm not sure if that's the way it's handled in the originals. Do you know anything about this?

In the original game, this was a timer-boosting clock. I'm guessing it was made into a Hudson Bee because there's no way to have the game increase the number of seconds currently on the timer.

Guilty as charged. I was considering replacing the Lucky Star and Wing as well. Would that be suitable?

When I brought up the thing about having a ceiling of grates that matched the sky's color in underwater areas, this was what I was trying to avoid.

Hey, looks like you found the hidden Wing I put in! /badjoke2

I'll see if there's not a better way than the grate tiles.

I also brought this up in my last post, commenting how we could have a solid black-colored breakable tile be placed here instead of a red brick block so this castle's exterior matches the original.

Which is funny, because that brick was my immediate fix when I saw you posted that <_< I'll get to it.

I also noticed in the X1 version of this mappack, that the Starman doesn't have the RGB Yellow color; it's a bit darker.

The PC88 graphics were easy because they're all on TSR (thanks for that!), but the Sharp X1 graphics were harder to find, and had to be complied from multiple sources. Likely, the one I got the Star from didn't use the right palette. Easy fix - but it'd be nice to see the X1's graphics on TSR sometime :D

And in 2-4, the Podobos don't go out high enough to be a threat.

In 1.6, they always go at a fixed height; in SE, they go up to wherever they're placed. Just a quirk of the way it was made originally, I'll fix it.

...And when you grab the axe at the end of a world, the bridge chain doesn't go down with the bridge.

Dang it, I was so excited to make the bridge disappear that I forgot the chain!
Superjustinbros wrote:With that out of the way, thank you again for this port; I especially love that you added the enemies!

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Apr 2015, 23:21

I'm unsure really if the Bloopers could be stomped in overworld levels; but as it stands I'm going to say no.
(my PC became an hero so I'm unable to check this or anything else in the original versions for the time being)

With the bonus items, I think the Wing would have to cause the game to think the player is underwater for a few seconds before switching back to normal. The Lucky Star, on the other hand, would have to give standard invincibility.

The palette of the X1 is only eight colors, with either no or max value in Red, Green, or Blue. If you see anything that has a yellow-orangeish color, change it to RGB yellow (since this discoloration is also on the Bullet Bills and the Lakitus).

Hopefully that should be all I have for this mappack at the moment.

Also I went and made a sprite sheet of the X1 enemies and stuck it onto The Spriters' Resource. Hopefully you'll find it useful.

4matsy

Post » 13 Apr 2015, 04:10

Superjustinbros wrote:I'm unsure really if the Bloopers could be stomped in overworld levels; but as it stands I'm going to say no.
(my PC became an hero so I'm unable to check this or anything else in the original versions for the time being)
I'll do it, then. Let's find out! :D

Survey SAYS?

*ERRRRNT*

Well, at least it saves one from having to make a separate stompable Blooper for out-of-water areas, or something equally silly. :p

Sky

Post » 13 Apr 2015, 04:47

Alright, I think I got everything! The fixed version of the mappack is now up for grabs.

Same download link because yay Dropbox

Only things I can't do are the Clock and the Wing. Those need Turret's Additional Animations to work properly, so I won't be changing them.

renhoek

Post » 13 Apr 2015, 05:11

WillWare wrote:Alright, I think I got everything! The fixed version of the mappack is now up for grabs.

Only things I can't do are the Clock and the Wing. Those need Turret's Additional Animations to work properly, so I won't be changing them.
Woah I didn't know you actually went into the game files to change the levels.
I feel stupid for thinking you only did the enemies.

This make the whole thing more awesome.

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Apr 2015, 07:02

I wasn't exactly holding my breath either for the custom items, since it's been continuously stated that only custom enemies would be supported. At least it's good to see the Hudson Bee and (part of) the Hammer put into the game.

Anyways during the time the mappack was being updated, I got the X1 Enemies sheet onto TSR:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_ ... eet/66219/
Should be hopefully everything from the original X1 version with 100% accuracy.

It also includes fixed Goombas (since back then I accidentally ripped the NES, GBC, and PC88 Goombas with extra "skin" on the bottom, in-between their feet.
PC-88 version shown, it applies to all the other versions as well.
It also shows the correct animation frames of the Barrels when they travel to the left- the (second) frame when they appear flattened horizontally should be one pixel higher in this recreation so that it replicates it's original movement in SMBS.

Also:
*for some reason I can't trigger the icicles to fall in my copy of the game, and with both colors of the Koopas, their shells appear to levitate (which I'm sure is to mimic their height when put into a shell in the original SMBS)
*In the underwater levels, I was looking to placing the ceiling of grates one tile above where they are now, as well as directly ontop of where a solid tile is placed on the surface, like as shown below with the green regions representing the placement of the grates:
So players could at least surface like they could in SMB1 without it looking like they're floating over it.
**While on the topic of water levels, I don't recall there being drains in the water levels myself.

EDIT: I noticed just now that there were a few inconsistencies with enemy placement in 7-4 and 8-4, they still have the original enemies from the pre-SE verison of the mappack.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k1xb9 ... S_Maps.zip
Here's the archive of all 32 maps in the game, though then again you can just find the maps online, so this may be redundant.

Sorry I'm bombarding you with all these nitpicks, Will. I really want this to be top-notch for when we finally get the full, non-bugged version of SE so it could be released (maybe) with the Lost Levels.

Superjustinbros

Post » 15 Apr 2015, 01:14

Uhh, Guys, I broke the Bullet Bills.

And since I'm here...
Image (PC88)
Image (Sharp X1)

Here's barrels exactly how they're animated in the original games...

...along with fixed X1 Buzzy Beetles.

TheLuigiGamer99

Post » 17 Apr 2015, 05:45

Looks Fun

Villager103

Post » 01 May 2015, 15:17

This happened when I tried to launch the Sharp X1 version.

Life873

Post » 19 Jun 2015, 21:52

WillWare wrote:Alright, I think I got everything! The fixed version of the mappack is now up for grabs.

Ummm,This is for what?

An mappack for a mod?

Mappack Normal?

SE?

Superjustinbros

Post » 06 Oct 2015, 19:53

Here's an updated download with fixed underwater levels (in that they now have raised ceilings)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tjp8n ... _Mari0.zip

renhoek

Post » 08 Oct 2015, 16:29

Superjustinbros wrote:Here's an updated download with fixed underwater levels (in that they now have raised ceilings)
Dumb question but is this for SE or Vanilla?

Superjustinbros

Post » 08 Oct 2015, 18:33

SE.

noveltyman

Post » 13 Feb 2019, 17:47

Can you do version for Alesan99's enities?

kriptopsix

Post » 14 Jan 2024, 14:11

renhoek wrote:
06 Apr 2012, 07:47
*DOWNLOAD*
SE version
Regular Mari0 Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?y56w9d920l6titk
I downloaded https://stabyourself.net/dl.php?file=ma ... i0-win.zip and Regular Mari0 Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?y56w9d920l6titk put it in a folder %AppData%\LOVE\mari0\mappacks
Then I ran mari0_1.6.exe and select mappack.
The game has begun! Thank you!

How can I play SE version?
Where can I download? Where to copy and what to run?

kriptopsix

Post » 21 Jan 2024, 09:46

in world 7.2 there is a mistake, Mario falls past the pipe after the part with water, I had to correct it through the editor, and 7.4 is an amazing labyrinth, we accidentally guessed that you need to go into the same pipe from which you came out in order to get to the dragon!