DEEP COLO X

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
renhoek

Post » 08 Nov 2014, 11:08

This is an expansion to the game I made for the sys game jam viewtopic.php?p=111166#p111166

Download
This adds 30 more levels for a total of 50 levels as well as adding a level select and a menu, but the biggest feature of DEEP COLO X is that it now features a level editor.
Editor controls wrote:Left mouse button = place object / activate tool
Right mouse button = quickly switch to Eraser
W = White objects
R = Red objects
G = Green objects
B = Blue objects
Y = Yellow objects
holding Shift allows you to paint objects.
I'll be collecting levels (that I like) from people and putting them into official packs on my blog too
http://renhoex.tumblr.com/
as well as creating a list for them here.

EDIT: update log I suggest re downloading if you downloaded before I added this message.
  • v1.0
    - release
    v1.1
    - Fixed a bug when dying in a custom level.
    - Added paint information to readme
    V1.2
    - Fixed duplicate name "familiar"
    - Fixed glitch where the custom level name wouldn't show up

MM102

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 04:27

WOW
10/10
✩✩✩✩✩ 5 stars
two thumbs up
S rank
Level 99
platinum edition

But seriously this is a great game and I can't wait until Lost Colo
Also stop worrying so much about people not posting things about your game.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 06:00

I saw that in your Tumblr as well, and, being a person that tried your game back in the contest, I must say you've made a great job! You can be sure that I'm gonna make maps for this, any game that allows custom maps is an instant 10/10 to me :P

EDIT: I need to be honest: I haven't played it when I posted. Although all above is true, and it is awesome, time for some constructive criticism:
The "bad" ones:
- There is only a single thing that frustrated me during any level: when you get the wall's color by just getting close, and not hitting. If possible, make changing the ship's color in the same place you make it play the "hitting" sound, if you know what I mean...
- It'd be awesome to have a "continue" option, since I pressed "Esc" to pause the game but it quit, and when I returned I had to search for the level.
- On that same note, it'd be pretty cool if you could add a pause option, or a return to menu.
- As for the menu, it'd be a little easier to search for a map from the main campaign if we had it's name shown along with the level number, since we don't see the number in-game. Or maybe show the number in-game. Just so it's easier to find a level to play again...
- Make the intro skippable: although it looks cool and probably took you a bit of time, when you're playing it several times the wait is a bit annoying... Nevermind, found it is skippable by hitting Enter...
- As for the level editor, I simply couldn't get to edit anything... I couldn't find any tool or anything, at all... Nevermind, found we have to press either left or right :P
- Maybe having a small GUI to the editor? I got lost a lot of times in there...
- Please, PLEASE, make it so you can drag-and-draw with blocks in the editor. Please?

The "good" ones:
- I'm not sure if this was in the first game, but I love that you can resize the window. I'd prefer having it already a little larger by default, but it's okay either way...
- Those new levels were soooo hard! I mean, not all of them, but, either way, I loved them!
- Having a menu and option to select levels was REALLY cool!
- The editor idea was amazing! Seriously, not only is this game awesome, but being able to make levels is even more awesome! You can be sure that I'll be making a ton of levels for it. A little idea: making it so you can have mappacks, I mean, multiple maps at once, instead of loading one at a time. It's up to you, I'm okay with either way.
- Almost forgot: most importantly, THANK YOU SO MUCH for removing the "return to the last level" thing. I was going nuts with that!

In a general ranking, it is a 10/10. There is a lot of room for improvements and all, but the overall game was truly amazing! Good job!

renhoek

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 06:32

HugoBDesigner wrote: - Please, PLEASE, make it so you can drag-and-draw with blocks in the editor. Please?
I probably should have written this in game but as I said you can drag and draw by holding shift.
Just made your life 1000 times easier.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 07:19

Yup, that really helped, thanks Ren! (by the way, I still think it'd be better like that always, but your choice :P)

Less talk and more work, right? My first level is done! It is called "Hugo I",but since you can't put numbers in level names, I had to put "I" instead of 1. Also, I'd like it to be called "Thinking with colors", but I only have 9 characters. But that's okay too. Without further ado, "Thinking with colors!"

I was experimenting with two ships to see how the color-picking behavior worked. To anyone else making levels, here's a hint: it considers (at least in this case) the first ship to pick colors on ceilings and floors, and the second ship to pick colors on the left and right. HAVE FUN :D

And yes, more are DEFINITELY on the way :)

renhoek

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 07:39

There's sort of a priority thing happening with the colour blocks.
for example on one side there could be a red block and on the would be a blue block on the other.

the Blue one would take priority so the ship would pick Blue red colour.

I might have this backwards but I believe the priority order goes
Yellow > Green > Blue > Red > White

Also sorry about the 9 word limit, when I did the original version I didn't intend for this to have an editor. So when I was making the level editor I wanted the player to have the same rules I followed.

I might do a small update on Christmas which expands the editor and addresses some issues as well as releasing the first pack.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 07:44

But, from what I remember (at least from testing), when I had a red wall in the left half and a white wall in the right, it'd make my ship white, and not red. Maybe it's because it ALSO takes priority (like in most games) to the object further in the X and/or Y axis? That'd explain the fact that the ship from the right takes the horizontal colors... But, either way, I'll take the color priority into consideration in my next level(s). Who knows what I can come up with?

MagicPillow

Post » 11 Nov 2014, 06:30

It does not appear to be working for me.
The intro plays and then

Code: Select all

ERROR in
action number 1
of Trigger Event: <Deleted>
for object objRenLogo:

Error defining an external function.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just clicked on ignore and then it works.
You might want to get that fixed though.

renhoek

Post » 11 Nov 2014, 09:15

I have no clue what caused that aside from the dll file but if it is the dll then I can't do anything about it sorry.