Jumpman (ioSMB4) Development

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Cake

Post » 08 Jul 2014, 23:43

Well, I'll take the inventory into dicussion with Victinistar soon.

Anyways, I finally got around to doing the Goomba:
It's even 100% original, including the walking animations. (Which took forever.)
Last edited by Cake on 08 Jul 2014, 23:57, edited 2 times in total.

Defiant Shout

Post » 08 Jul 2014, 23:46

Can't wait for the koopa, since this looks pretty good. :3

Also, since the brows are a bit above the head, where will the hitbox actually be capped at? The brows or the head?

Cake

Post » 09 Jul 2014, 21:41

Repost since I doubt anyone saw my edits.

The hitbox is in the lower 16x16 square, out of the 16x17 square.
Which basically means, for 4 out of 6 frames, it's the head. The other two frames, when the Goomba is in the "down" position, is when the eyebrows are at the top of the hitbox.

Edit:
Hyper Goomba.
As I said on Steam, this goomba will occasionally stop and charge, as they did in Paper Mario; however, instead of gaining attack power, these Goombas will grant themselves momentarily invincibility.

Also:
Make this transparent and put it over the Hyper Goomba, and that shows that it's charging/charged.
No, this is not the invincibility effect.

Edit:
4 Varieties of Goombas, both left and right versions.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Edit:
Keys, keys, keys, keys on benice! (Or whatever that word is...)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Big keys can be carried, small ones go to the HUD / invisible inventory to be used for later.
Each key has it's own unique lock, except the big blue key which can be used for any lock.
The big red key is from SMB2, and that's probably the one with phantos.

Edit:
Toadette, who will be E Gadd's assistant for CIII.
It makes sense since 734,958 Toads work for him anyway.
(No joke, it's in Dark Moon.)

Cake

Post » 10 Jul 2014, 21:38

ImageImageImageImage

I guess I'm working on pipes today.

I also did E Gadd yesterday.

And MM102 also did this while I was doing other Imagehings:

And a Short Mushroom to be the counterpart of the Skinny Shroom.
Guess who.

Also:
Art with the actual fuse visible.
Bomb Veggie that explodes nearly immediately after plucking it out; you want to get rid of it as fast as possible.

Also:
I updated the Shield Suits.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Club for Luigi, diamond for Yoshi, garlic for Wario, heart for Peach, spade for mario, and star for Toad.

And I updated these as well.
Image Image
I also renamed them to Hurmy Hugs and Kisses.
Gold is the Kiss.

Cake

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 09:26

Poll 6

Question 1:
We have a music-themed world, and it was originally named Beatbox Boombox. I came up with this other name since, though: Melodia.
Which one should be picked?
(No, the music world is not exactly like that one artsy image I posted awhile ago. That's just one level in the caves. Most of the world actually has a lot to do with musical instruments, sunsets, and black hills.)

Question 2:
Should some of the cast be unplayable for certain parts of the story? (For example, Peach is kidnapped momentarily?) (Yes, that is a boring example.)

Question 3:
Should each character have their own fireball color, electricity color, bomb color, and so on?

Question 4:
This is a repoll of the paintbrush power-up:
A Bowser Jr-inspired shadow form of each character?
ImageImage
(But make the characters lighter?)
(This makes sense because Bowser Jr had the magic paintbrush, while also going around as Shadow Mario.)

Or Mario Paint-inspired form of each character?
ImageImage
(For those of you who don't want Shadow Mario...)

Question 5:
This is a repoll of Yoshi's power-up form as well:
When Yoshi collects the water power-up, what specifically should he do?
If the water power-up is FLUDD, then should Yoshi wear FLUDD?
Or should he spit juice (which acts exactly the same as FLUDD) as he did in Super Mario Sunshine?
And there's a reason why I said 'water power-up'- it depends on which option you choose.
If you choose FLUDD, Yoshi will carry FLUDD like everyone else.
If you choose the durian, (a tropical fruit in SMS) then Yoshi will spit juice.

Question 6:
Any questions so far? (Besides what the worlds and story are?)

Also:
I've decided to go with Idiot's idea of using Sunshine Peach for the FLUDD costume.

Automatik

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 10:17

Q1 : Melody
Q2 : I guess it would make sense if some characters were locked at the start, then unlocked during the game, but locking a character in the middle of the game sound frustrating. But I like the idea of unlocking characters.
Q3 : It might be a nice touch.
Q4 : The paintbrush power-up should just give Shadow's paintbrush, but without the shadow look.
Q5 : Since Yoshi can spit stuff, he should spit juice, but he should still have something visually on him to show that he has a water power-up. (belly inflation?)

HowToEatGirafes

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 10:55

1)Beatbox Boombox
2)They should but after some worlds like , idk , world 6 we could be friend with waluigi
3)Yes
4)Yes too
5)Wear the FLUDD

renhoek

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 12:23

1. Melodia, beatbox boombox sounds kinda dumb
2. go nuts
3. no, none of the other games in the series do this.
4. Mario paint as the shadow thing was a disguise in the game, so it'd be mario being disguised as mario.
5. Fludd like everyone else, keep it consistant.

alesan99

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 13:48

1. Melodia
2. You should be able to unlock characters but none should be taken away from you.
3. No it'll look like a mess.
Automatik wrote:The paintbrush power-up should just give Shadow's paintbrush, but without the shadow look.
5. fludd

Sunset_Moth

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 17:05

1: Beatbox Boombox could be a place INSIDE Melodia or vice-versa (The town of Melodia in Beatbox Boombox, or the Beatbox Boombox being something like Tick Tock Clock with electricity and stuff found somewhere in Melodia.)
2: Maybe you should be able to choose which gets taken away. (Like in Don't Starve,  apparently when you rescue maxwell you lose the character who saved him. )
3: Perhaps they should, but I think perhaps the bursts (when they hit something) should be different shapes.
4: Nah. Doesn't really seem that cool.
5: FLUDD, since don't you have the rocket and turbo and hover nozzles as well? He can't do that with juice. (I may be wrong about whether you have those.)

TurretBot

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 19:18

BUBBA USE THE RIGHT SPOILER 

1) Melodia, you could have Beatbox Boombox as a level name, though.
2) It makes sense with Peach, but don't do it a lot or it might annoy some people...
3) No answer, do whatever.
4) Mario Paint!
5) Juice.

Defiant Shout

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 19:26

1) I like Beatbox Boombox just because it fit the idea of what we were/are doing with the world itself...
2) It's different, I like it. People need to go outside their comfort zone, otherwise, the game is boring. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, or they'll just realize they like the character they used more.
3) Extra coding. Not really useful. Looks cool. I'm either way on this :L
4) I think we should stick a majority of costumes as things you buy (with coins or something) or unlock. References end up sucking after so much face time.
5) The fact that we made Yoshi different from other characters, would sway my vote to say juice.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 19:55

TurretBot wrote: BUBBA USE THE RIGHT SPOILER 
Yeah, I changed it before you posted that. I think. Either way, I changed it and it wasn't because of you. I meant to use the black spoiler in the first place.
Anyways, art. I'm not the best of pixel artists, I have to admit. Since you seem to be focusing on powerups and enemies and characters, perhaps I could do some of the terrain? I'm okay-ish at terrain. (I would assume I would make stuff and you would tell me what needed to change and it wouldn't just be I MADE A THING PUT IT IN THE GAME)

Cake

Post » 11 Jul 2014, 20:51

alesan99 wrote: 4.
Automatik wrote:The paintbrush power-up should just give Shadow's paintbrush, but without the shadow look.
You still get the same paintbrush either way.
It's just the clothing color design, I guess.
bubba_nate wrote:Anyways, art. I'm not the best of pixel artists, I have to admit. Since you seem to be focusing on powerups and enemies and characters, perhaps I could do some of the terrain? I'm okay-ish at terrain. (I would assume I would make stuff and you would tell me what needed to change and it wouldn't just be I MADE A THING PUT IT IN THE GAME)
Go for it.
Yes, I am focusing a lot on items, characters, enemies, and pipes.
I guess it's just the more exciting thing to do for me.
bubba_nate wrote: 5: FLUDD, since don't you have the rocket and turbo and hover nozzles as well? He can't do that with juice. (I may be wrong about whether you have those.)
We do have rocket and turbo nozzles, but Yoshi can't use them.
See, Yoshi can't use all of these high-tier power-ups becuase he can flutter jump and throw eggs and stuff.

Rex from SMW.

The original sprite:

I also found a spritesheet of Booster:
I still need to edit it, though.
But hey, I found a pretty good story for the first chapter, at least.

Also:
Lightning in a jar.
Where you can see it properly.
Pull it out of the ground like a veggie and throw it.

You can't even see this one unless you click the link.
It's the dotted coin (I don't know it's name) from NSMB, that if you pass over the area, a coin will appear in it's spot.

Cake

Post » 13 Jul 2014, 11:18

I updated the main post with some tidbits about characters and some power-ups that I keep forgetting to tell people about so that the polls are biased.
In other words, look at Yoshi.

I'm also going to be gone for the following month, and I do hope that this thread stays active.
Maybe you guys can pick your favorite enemies or something and argue over the usefulness or something.

Victinistar, I am prohibiting you from talking about the story right now. It's changed, and I think it's for the better since our characters actually have incentive.

Here goes the working story that I've come up with over the past week:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toadsworth are coming back from one of their numerous adventures; it's a place with an airport and Bowser was not a part of the story. (Which probably doesn't exist yet... it's an unimportant detail that can be made up later.) (And they're also coming back in the Toad Express.)
Anyways, they're halfway back to the Mushroom Kingdom when Bowser's Airships suddenly show up. Bowser orders the plane to be shot down, so that "Mario doesn't rescue Peach first"- unknowing of Peach being on that plane.
Bowser's heading towards Tick Tock Clock, (a tower, essentially) a place that Booster bought as a summer home. See, Bowser's chasing a rumor that Booster was going to try to marry the sky princess (what Booster called Peach) again, and so Bowser wanted to stop this and kidnap Peach once more. On his way, he also drops down Shy Guy's Toy Box in front of the bridge to the land of Melodia.
Mario and Luigi crash in the Fields O' Gold, (the first world) only to find out the other half of the plane landed in the Harvesting Tree.

The Fields O' Gold is a large wheat field with the Amber Forest in the background. It's kinda like a savannah.
The Amber Forest is an autumn-themed forest, with Harvesting Tree rising out of the center.
Think Maple Treeway from Mario Kart Wii, but with a much darker tone.
Like the forest's almost haunted.
But lighter than this.

Anyways, Mario and Luigi eventually make it to the top of the Harvesting Tree where, when talking to the bees, they find out that Peach and Toadsworth are inside the Great Apiary. They're also told that they're currently speaking to the Queen Bee.
But as Mario and Luigi enter the hive, Shy Guys (from Shy Guy's Toy Box) (in a more toyish Airtubs) start to raid and cause chaos in the hive- and end up taking over. (Shy Guys are attacking because they like the sweet taste of the honey- they can't get enough of it. So they want to enslave the bees.)
When Mario and Luigi finally find the room (on the lowest floor) that the Queen Bee, Peach, and Toadsworth are hiding in, and so another cutscene starts.
The Queen Bee pleads Mario to stop the invasion, and also promises Mario and co. a way home if they do. The conversation is interrupted though when a couple of Fat Guys notice the room, and walk in to find Mario and co..
They run and start to attack, but then their combined weight breaks the floor and sends all but Queen Bee and Toadsworth down below and into the forest again.
They fall into a pool of water, and decide to help out the bees in order to get home.
This is also where you unlock Peach to be playable.

The Great Apiary is your typical beehive. It's nested in the canopy of the Harvesting Tree. Shy Guy's Toy Box is different from the one in Paper Mario: it actually involves toys a lot more. It has multiple themes like a baby's room, board games, space toys, and so on.
Anyways, they end the bees' troubles and the Queen Bee comes down with Toadsworth to thank them.

(I still need some objective, some reason for Mario to go over and beat up Bowser... like Bowser's going to blow up Peach's castle or something if Mario doesn't bring Peach. Problem is, the example I gave doesn't pertain to Bowser's personality.)

TurretBot

Post » 19 Jul 2014, 17:35

Well, if Peach is gone, why doesn't he take the Mushroom Kingdom and stuff?

Cake

Post » 19 Jul 2014, 20:03

I'm working on it.
I also finished chapter 1, and I'm working on the story for the next chapter.

(Well, in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, he doesn't even try to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom and heads straight to Rogueport for Peach.
I think Peach is of greater interest.
The only time that I recall that he actually heads for the Mushroom Kingdom is in NSMBU.)

Cake

Post » 04 Aug 2014, 18:23

I've pretty much finished 3/4 of the story, some holes in it could be filled over steam chat.

Chapter 2 has the most abstract story, but I managed to make it loop around- it connects to the events of SMB3 now.

More characters were also introduced, and the Belladonna concept has changed.

I'd rather explain it over steam chat though, and that's probably not-soon; after next week.

alesan99

Post » 04 Aug 2014, 22:37

I haven't worked on the gameplay much because my physics engine is buggy and slow. Does anybody have a physics engine or know one for love2d?

Also right now i'm starting work on the menus so what font should I use (Unless ic already has one in mind)?

Cake

Post » 05 Aug 2014, 05:32

Renhoek had a physics engine for his Mario clone, I dunno if he's open about that though.

I also meant to give you a font- I did create one, but I didn't finish the shading. I think it ended up being deleted.

I do recommend the SMW/SMBX font if I never create one.
I may be able to upload the working story tomorrow, but I really do want to talk about it over steam chat- I feel like CIII's story is a repeat of Luigi's Mansion. (Aside from Mario in a painting, it's basically King Boo's revenge against E Gadd.)

I suppose I could swap the world theme and change the main villain to something original if it gets too troubling.

renhoek

Post » 05 Aug 2014, 11:49

imaginary cake wrote:Renhoek had a physics engine for his Mario clone, I dunno if he's open about that though.
I used an entirely different program for my clone, I'm not sure if I could help with anything.

Cake

Post » 05 Aug 2014, 17:10

I should have mentioned that I didn't recall it was love2D or not; this was a few months ago after all, and I did get to deleting it after playing around with it for an hour.

Is Mari0 a plausible candidate for the physics engine?
At least in the meantime?

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 05 Aug 2014, 22:34

QCode had a baller physics engine back in the day. I would PM him if I were you.

alesan99

Post » 05 Aug 2014, 23:36

imaginary cake wrote:Is Mari0 a plausible candidate for the physics engine?
At least in the meantime?
I don't want this game to get too many things from Mari0.
If it takes too long to get a solid physics engine I'll go with it because Maurice posted it in game development so he'll be okay with it, unless he changed his mind about people using it.

Cake

Post » 08 Aug 2014, 07:01

I nearly forgot:

Poll 7.
1) For player physics, should players bump into each other all the time (like in NSMBW, and get in each other's ways a ton) or run past each other? (I do not know of a Mario game that allows this...)
(Jumping on players- yes. Carrying players? Yes, when you press the run button right next to them)
2) Should shells bounce off of each other?
3) Should shells float?

I've also been playing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (as a part of that sweet Club Nintendo deal) and I honestly think there are some lessons to learn from it.
It's a great game, it really is. It's taken me a few days to get to world 4 (out of 8) and getting collectibles is challenging.
And no, I don't think collectibles is the lesson to learn, but they do such a good job with them that I want to copy them in sorts.

4) Bonus, challenging levels for collecting a secondary collectible? What should they be, magic bags that you throw into a warp pipe to make it work? (The bonus levels will be the SMS-styled "secret levels"- you know, the ones without FLUDD?) (This would be in addition to rare golden statues and frog coins.)
5) Use of Launch/Sling Stars (From SMG) in standard levels?
6) How should coins be valued? I'm sorta against the idea of a shop, and I want freebie Toad Houses again, but I can be persuaded.

I had more poll questions, but I realized they were silly.

TurretBot

Post » 08 Aug 2014, 18:15

1) Maybe have a cheat like Mari0 does, but I'd prefer to have no collision.
2) Sure.
3) Perhaps only a specific color? That could work.
?) Cool.
4) I never played SMS, but that sounds like a good idea.
5) I never played SMG, but that sounds like a good idea. (Is this meant to be like the barrels in DKC?)
6) I never played Wari It depends on if you're going to reset the coin count at 100. If you are, I'd just keep it to 1-ups. But if you're not, then a shop sounds like a good idea. Or maybe levels that you buy.

Cake

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 07:24

Huh, I thought more people would post in the poll.
Anyways, I just finished 100%-ing the first SMG, (for the second time) without doing it as Luigi. (So I guess you could say I 49.587%-ed it, since the 121st star for the Mario profile needs the Luigi profile finished...)
I haven't beaten it since 2006/2007, and thus I forgot a lot of the story and stuff.
But playing through it again? It has the best story of any non-Mario-RPG game.
And I'm kind of upset that they brought Rosalina back in SM3DW because it makes no sense, story-wise. It kinda ruins the ending of SMG, where Rosalina leaves only to come back 100 years later.
Rant aside, I forgot what I was going to say now I promise I will do my best to create a Mario story unlike any other, one that's memorable. Problem is, I don't think I can top "Holy crap the universe just imploded and the one Luma that came along with you the entire way just sacrificed himself to stop that"
*sigh*
When I get back from this endless vacation, I'll be on steam chat for an entire month and then I'll write a meaningful story with your guy's help.
I recommend playing a good majority of the Mario games (that aren't sports) if you want to help, because Mario games go a certain way.
(As I've argued with Victinistar, not every idea in the game industry makes sense in a Mario game.)

Also: Vote in the poll, please.
Turret gets bonus points for voting swiftly.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 14:31

Poll 7.
1) 2d makes more sense not to bump.
2) nah, shell meets shell totals both shells. Unless one's going faster, then I guess that wins.
3) I'm with Turret (which is odd), some could.
?) Collectibles work. I mean big coins in nsmb, green stars in wiiu 3d land world.
4) might as well if you have plans for them.
5) does it require buttons that go unused for the rest of the level? if so, no.
6) Would give me a reason for collecting the coins. I mean maybe SOME toad's could charge. like a slot machine for a hundred or something with like bowser heads, fire flowers and stars.

alesan99

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 22:53

1. Run past each other.
2. No
3. What Turretbot said
4. As long as collectibles aren't too hard or too easy to get.
5. No
6. I can't think of anything so maybe they should just be for 1-ups.

HansAgain

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 23:17

1. Don't make players collide with each other unless you add a cheat for it.
2. Shells crash shells die.
3. What Turret said, also if they're going to float, then you should make them bigger that the normal ones, so you can jump on them easily.
4. What Alesan said.
5. I think you shouldn't, but if you can make them work (and make them look cool) then do it.
6. If you can buy power-ups, 1-ups (they should cost 100 coins LOL) and more stuff there, then yes (Make some shops have just some power-ups, not all of them).

MagicPillow

Post » 12 Aug 2014, 01:07

1) Yes. I also think maybe picking up players shouldn't be just the run button (You would not believe how many times me and my friends have accidentally thrown each other off cliffs in SM3D World). Maybe a different button or a combination of the run button and something else? (Think NSMBW/U, where you had to hold the run button and shake the wii remote)

2) Nope, double shellocide.

3) Only certain ones.

R) Yes, more collectables plz

4) Sure.

5) I like the idea.

6) Mabe have toad houses free, but disappear after being used, and shops stay forever, but cost coins.

Cake

Post » 14 Aug 2014, 20:58

I'm getting more and more nervous about proposing CII's story for some reason.
It feels odd to not have told anyone yet.
I also feel a sense of rejection and instead favoring plan B.

Anyways, the important thing is that I didn't have to get to somewhere with internet to upload the new logo: (I even did it in 3D, but you need a 3DS to see that, and for me to upload the 3D version; I uploaded the 2D version because it doesn't "shift" all of the layers proportionally to one direction, making it look off-balance; long sentence short, viewing the 3D vversion in 2D causes it to view only one eye's perspective.)
Black bar because I erased the 4 and made a new one, re-using the "SMB" in the same spot; I didn't want to draw that part again, but without the big 4 it looked off-balance. The black bar fixes this.

Previously:

Cake

Post » 18 Aug 2014, 22:31

Yay double post again.

Anyways, Since I got back I've been working on shells.
SMW:
ioSMB4:
http://i.imgur.com/0ZI9FqO.gif

Edit that occurs after the edit below but belongs here because it's about fixing the shells for once and for all:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Edit:
Image Donut Block.
Last edited by Cake on 21 Aug 2014, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Cake

Post » 21 Aug 2014, 22:35

Yay triple post.

Different emotions of each veggie is random, as it adds variety.
The idea's not mine though, as I didn't create the sprite sheet- mariofan114 from MFGG did. And he had a bunch of different emotions for everything. I just edited it and added the stuff I'm talking about below. (All he did though was rip everything and had the idea of adding emotions to everything- I want to just credit him for the idea...)

Stuff I added:
I added the square blue tomato thing between the left row and the giant veggies.
I also recolored a beet or something to purple.
I also made 4 more unripe veggies; they're on the right.
I also added the anti veggies that were hidden in the files of Super Mario Advance.

Edit:
Edit:
I made a thwomp, but this is only it's blinking animation. I spent time learning how to delay frames so that this could be 2 frames in total.
No more copying frames over and over!

(The thwomp will look around / at the player like in MvsDK, as well as fall asleep if you wait around too long.)

Edit:
ImageImageImage

Also Thwimp.

Cake

Post » 22 Aug 2014, 02:44

Cobrats, an unremarkable enemy from SMB2.
I guess I just like the way they hover in vases.
ImageImage
Thwomp sheets, just because I like sheets.
ImageImage
Gold Thwomps make shockwaves. I don't know what to do with the Gold Thwimp, because shockwaves on it would not work. Unless It had a larger arc of jumping...
Last edited by Cake on 22 Aug 2014, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

TurretBot

Post » 22 Aug 2014, 02:54

Gold Thwimp tries to land on Mario, instead of going on a specific path of going back and forth.

Cake

Post » 22 Aug 2014, 10:38

Good idea Turret. (Noted)

Also Angry Sun and redone Phanto.
Yes, I'm going back and revising some things. They looked terrible before.

The angry sun has the same colors as in SMB3 from SMAS, as it's a bit dark in there as well. It's not the real sun, what do you expect?

Phantos from SMB2 again, as I wanted to redo the animation after seeing a better, unnamed version. (Apparently the Phantos spinned in Mario and Luigi: SS; I was unaware of this)
Standard red version, artwork golden version (I dunno why it appears golden in artwork, but I'll make this one have an ability or something...) and nightmare version that also has special abilities.
Image Image Image
Previously: Image

I planned on staying awake to do the Shy Guy again, as well as Kuribo's Shoe and Birdo.
But I got distracted.
So they'll be up tomorrow.

MM102

Post » 22 Aug 2014, 22:12

ImageImage
tried to make the animation more fluid

Cake

Post » 23 Aug 2014, 00:19

That looks much better than mine, actually.
I don't normally attempt animations that long either, but I'll get the practice of it soon.
Currently adding it to the sheet.

Edit:
Image Image Image

This time I included the effects I used on the thwomps that I actually created separately, but pasted them into the GIF.

Edit:
ImageImageImageImage
The bottom row is stompable, while you stand and pick up the top 2 rows.

More Shy Guy sprites coming soon, including Fly Guys, Fat Guys, Pirate Guys, and more.
More recolors also coming.

Shy Guys might also have a few different masks, randomly selected.

I also edited this ahead of time because I realized I forgot to color the yellow Shy Guy's shoes.
Last edited by Cake on 25 Aug 2014, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Vakema123

Post » 23 Aug 2014, 12:33

I am not a big Mario fan, but based solely on these sprites, this looks like it will be great!

Cake

Post » 25 Aug 2014, 10:04

Hooray!

(I really need to go back and redo some sprites...0

Anyways, while surfing sprite sites, I found the SMW disco ball.
In a full-on colored spritesheet.

DDDDIIIISSSSCCCCOOOO

No, I didn't do any spritework today.
Or yesterday.
Traveling + pity for a sister = little hours to actually do stuff.

And I spent those hours doing a long-needed reorganization.
Now I'll get sprites out faster.

Also:
I only have one question in the poll today.
This time though, you get to choose between musical piece sets.
These sets could apply to a world called Utsobo's Belly, a giant aquatic dinosaur thing which eats you in a dramatic scene.

Music is in the spoiler.
Bottom-right corner is the idea of the area, by the way.

It has changed slightly, and it can fit any of the themes below.
VOTE FOR 2 ONLY

Okay, for the musical sets:

A: Dr Mario's Chill theme:

B: Dr Luigi's Dizzy theme:

C: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time's Yoob's Belly theme:

D: Super Mario Land 2's Graveyard theme:

Edit:
I did do some spritework today after all.

Since I already have stopwatches as an item, I can't use the same thing to add time to the level. So instead they're hourglasses.
Just because.
Last edited by Cake on 25 Aug 2014, 11:43, edited 4 times in total.

Automatik

Post » 25 Aug 2014, 10:59

C seem to be the most appropriate music.

MM102

Post » 25 Aug 2014, 12:43

I would use c as well

TurretBot

Post » 25 Aug 2014, 13:11

Wait, are you talking about Water Falls or the Mechatroop Factory?
Assuming you're talking about the factory, I'd choose C as well. But B would make a good boss tune.

Automatik

Post » 25 Aug 2014, 13:35

TurretBot wrote:Wait, are you talking about Water Falls or the Mechatroop Factory?
Assuming you're talking about the factory, I'd choose C as well. But B would make a good boss tune.
It's the bottom-right corner (So, UTSOBO's BELLY) , not bottom-left.

Sergione

Post » 25 Aug 2014, 14:18

Yes, I choose the C, like everyone else! :)

TurretBot

Post » 25 Aug 2014, 21:40

Automatik wrote:
TurretBot wrote:Wait, are you talking about Water Falls or the Mechatroop Factory?
It's the bottom-right corner (So, UTSOBO's BELLY) , not bottom-left.
Oh. Actually, then the same thing.

Cake

Post » 29 Aug 2014, 06:22

It's time to...

More recolors coming soon, as well as Shy Guy recolors. At the same time.
Yes, all I did was replace the mask. That's all that needs to be done.

I'm also working on other masks, like I said earlier.
Just for fun and variety.
Should the Phanto Guy get extra abilities, or should it just be a regular Shy Guy?
Edit: When it's defeated or picked up, a Phanto is summoned. Don't touch these.
The Phanto will go away when you enter another room or vase or something.

Also: Flurries.
Regular and cherry versions.
Image Image
The cherry version runs slightly faster...? (Or should it just be stompable?)

Edit:

Still not done with the sheet oddly enough.
See, I had all of this set up before it was suggested by the good idea-ing Idiot that instead of golden masks being the stompless variety, the white shy guy gets it's mask recolored to the various shy guys, which can be picked up.

...which means that in order to do that, I'd have to resize the image, get rid of half of the sheet, etc.
But I finished this sheet (or at least to my desire- I could have finished a few more mask overlays.)
So I decided to upload this now and finish it for once and for all tomorrow.

(Just so you know, I added frames for the Shy Guys jumping out of the pipes, being defeated without a stomp, and being defeated with a stomp.)

Also: about the masks, I had created the normal Shy Guy mask, the Snifit mask, and a faceless Shy Guy mask. The faceless variety walks off cliffs.
The other unfinished varieties were a skull mask, the indian mask, Phanto mask, and Anti Guy mask.)

Villager103

Post » 30 Aug 2014, 06:24

imaginary cake wrote:It's time to...

More recolors coming soon, as well as Shy Guy recolors. At the same time.
Yes, all I did was replace the mask. That's all that needs to be done.

I'm also working on other masks, like I said earlier.
Just for fun and variety.
Should the Phanto Guy get extra abilities, or should it just be a regular Shy Guy?
Edit: When it's defeated or picked up, a Phanto is summoned. Don't touch these.
The Phanto will go away when you enter another room or vase or something.

Also: Flurries.
Regular and cherry versions.
Image Image
The cherry version runs slightly faster...? (Or should it just be stompable?)

Edit:

Still not done with the sheet oddly enough.
See, I had all of this set up before it was suggested by the good idea-ing Idiot that instead of golden masks being the stompless variety, the white shy guy gets it's mask recolored to the various shy guys, which can be picked up.

...which means that in order to do that, I'd have to resize the image, get rid of half of the sheet, etc.
But I finished this sheet (or at least to my desire- I could have finished a few more mask overlays.)
So I decided to upload this now and finish it for once and for all tomorrow.

(Just so you know, I added frames for the Shy Guys jumping out of the pipes, being defeated without a stomp, and being defeated with a stomp.)

Also: about the masks, I had created the normal Shy Guy mask, the Snifit mask, and a faceless Shy Guy mask. The faceless variety walks off cliffs.
The other unfinished varieties were a skull mask, the indian mask, Phanto mask, and Anti Guy mask.)
Great! But I don't agree with the faceless variety. Maybe they should instead have little cameras on the outside of the mask, with screens on the inside, like a VR headset.

HansAgain

Post » 30 Aug 2014, 06:31

The point of them having that mask is to make obvious that they don't see anything, and so they fall off cliffs, as he said.