[World 2] Blue Portals - The Mappack (Mari0 +Portal v0.9.9)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Jan 2014, 18:58

Hello! Welcome to the Blue Portals Development Center!
This is a mappack based on the GREAT and AWESOME Portal mod, Blue Portals, by reepblue. He gave me permission to do this mappack based on the art, puzzles and elements from his mod. Please note that this mappack is NOT a recreation of the original Blue Portals.

In this mappack, the first thing you'll have to learn is: you can only shoot blue portals (or portal 1), but never shoot orange portals (or portal 2). The puzzles are based in what you can do with a single portal to shoot, and having to move the second portal by other devices, like buttons, for example.

This mappack, just like the original Blue Portals, introduces new puzzle elements to help you - or not - through the tests. Here are some:

Water Walls, which helps you to travel through the testing chamber or helps you to build momentum.
Light Beams, which can be redirected by portals or by inclined surfaces.
Deadly Goo, which makes you pay more attention during the tests.
Non-Emancipation Cubes, which are not emancipated by Emancipation Grills.
Fans, which pushes you through the testing chamber.
Ice cube, which melt if close to a light beam or a fire cube.
Fire cube, which melts frozen buttons and explode turrets.

And some upcoming puzzle elements:
Magnets, which pushes/pulls boxes and activate things with specific boxes.
Cube Collector, which activate things if cubes are thrown inside it, but only if it is the right cube.

And many other elements are coming, like Turrets, Cube Conversion Gels and many others!

I also DO plan on releasing extra worlds as DLCs, being them Conversion³ and Refresh (they are DLCs from the original Blue Portals too).

As an extra feature to increase the fun while playing this mappack, there are achievements you can get by doing unusual things in tests. For now we only have 3, but when the mappack is done there will be much more!

Since we have to show images, here are them:

WORLD 1:
Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:
*Deadly goo shower removed in more recent updates

Level 4:
WORLD 2:
Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

Level 4:

And a video of World 1 thanks to Alesan!

Visit his channel!

ONE LAST NOTE: just like the title says, you NEED my mod, Mari0 +Portal, to play this mappack. Also, it won't work on versions of the mod earlier than v0.9.9. Although, it doesn't crashes your game if you try to play on vanilla Mari0, but shows you a message telling you to use my mod.

Downloads:
Blue Portals 0.2 - RAR
Blue Portals 0.2 - ZIP

Tileset:
IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THESE, CREDITS GOES TO ME!

Many, many thanks to reepblue, the creator of Blue Portals, for giving me permission to make a mappack based on his work. You guys definitely NEED to check out the original Blue Portals. It's just AWESOME!
WHOO! INVISIBLE TEXT!
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 20 Apr 2014, 02:48, edited 3 times in total.

Flutter Skye

Post » 18 Jan 2014, 19:12

Awesome! Downloading right now.

HansAgain

Post » 18 Jan 2014, 19:19

It's awesome! I played it and i think everyone should play it.
It's sad that in 1-3 it was slow, but anyways, this mappack is awesome.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Jan 2014, 19:29

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I got lag on World 1-3 too, and I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA why. Of course, it's due to some bug with my mod, but I still haven't found it. I managed to fix most bugs with my mod - bugs related to lag - but not all yet. In future updates, I hope I can make it run better.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback!

Superjustinbros

Post » 18 Jan 2014, 20:51

A great tileset!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Jan 2014, 22:01

Superjustinbros wrote:A great tileset!
Thank you! Actually, well reminded: I'll upload the tileset and put it in the main post!

Flutter Skye

Post » 19 Jan 2014, 01:13

The mappack is awesome! I can't complete 1-3 though, cause the Water Funnel blocks my momentum.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Jan 2014, 01:16

Flutter Skye wrote:The mappack is awesome! I can't complete 1-3 though, cause the Water Funnel blocks my momentum.
That's part of the puzzle! You must  jump while passing through it when being launched by the momentum. If you jump inside it while flinging, you'll go higher too :) .

Thank you for the compliment!

Mari0Maker

Post » 19 Jan 2014, 21:47

Found out all the lag in 1-3 is caused by whatever this is.

Also, while messing around in the editor, I got a bug that scrolls the screen back to the beginning whenever I press any key besides the editor keys.
I think it was caused by this.

Code: Select all

editor.lua:938: attempt to get length of field '?' (a nil value)
Other than that, great map!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Jan 2014, 22:08

Mari0Maker wrote:Found out all the lag in 1-3 is caused by whatever this is.

Also, while messing around in the editor, I got a bug that scrolls the screen back to the beginning whenever I press any key besides the editor keys.
I think it was caused by this.

Code: Select all

editor.lua:938: attempt to get length of field '?' (a nil value)
Other than that, great map!
Thank you!

I think I found it a while ago, but still wasn't sure if this was the only cause of lag. It is a gel dispenser, dispensing deadly gel. I thought it'd be a nice decorative detail, since it looks like the gel is "filling" the Deadly Pool...

Oh, and the crash you got is related to entities categories, and I don't know how this happened. The game was trying to get the amount of items in a category (and saying it was nil), but this usually happens with lag too. But I'll fix it in my mappack until I fix the lag in the mod. I also have so very small details to update in the first world too. Thank you for the help!

TheSeek

Post » 19 Jan 2014, 22:51

HugoBDesigner wrote: I think I found it a while ago, but still wasn't sure if this was the only cause of lag.
i think it's not the only cause of lag...while removing the deadly gel dispenser greatly reduces the lag(with ~15 seconds to reach the top of the stairs at the start of the level, 1-3 wasn't playable at all for me), but still there's a very noticeable lag...i'd say i run 1-3(without the deadly gel dispenser) at roughly 70% of the regular speed.
I hope you find a way to smooth out this mod to remove almost all the lag, cuz with my not-so-good CPU pushed to its limits, any mappack made for it is barely playable.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Jan 2014, 23:10

TheSeek wrote:
HugoBDesigner wrote: I think I found it a while ago, but still wasn't sure if this was the only cause of lag.
i think it's not the only cause of lag...while removing the deadly gel dispenser greatly reduces the lag(with ~15 seconds to reach the top of the stairs at the start of the level, 1-3 wasn't playable at all for me), but still there's a very noticeable lag...i'd say i run 1-3(without the deadly gel dispenser) at roughly 70% of the regular speed.
I hope you find a way to smooth out this mod to remove almost all the lag, cuz with my not-so-good CPU pushed to its limits, any mappack made for it is barely playable.
My CPU is VEEERY bad, so it was a pain to play too. Fortunately, I'm managing to remove most of the lag sources. They were mostly caused by my past self. I were inexperienced in the beginning of this mod, so I used to make a lot of things in update and draw functions (which results in lots of lag).

For example, 5 minutes before I managed to fix the scrolling screen in the editor. It was something dumb made by my past self too. So yeah, the closer we get to 1.0 update, the better this mod will get, either in new features or in bug fixing :)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 03:01

1000 posts!!!

Instead of doing a drawing of me and the number of posts I have (that's usually what I do - or at least used to), I decided to give Blue Portals an update. It was already mostly done, but I didn't update it because of Mari0 +Portal. I wanted my 1000th post to be Mari0 +Portal's 1.0 update, but hey, Blue Portals - The Mappack is not less important. Okay, it is, but it's not "non-important". Enjoy World 2 by using the laggy, buggy Mari0 +Portal v0.9.9 :'(

B-Man99

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 03:22

Only 28 more until a great landmark Hugo!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 03:26

B-Man99 wrote:Only 28 more until a great landmark Hugo!
Thanks, B-Man! But 28 levels, you mean? That'd be 9 worlds! I want only 8 worlds plus a few (later) as DLC. It'll have a lot more worlds than just 9, but the main levels (there's a better word for this, I just forgot...) will be in only 8 worlds :)

B-Man99

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 03:28

I was referring to posts and I meant 24 but my finger hit the 8 key becuase i ca'nt tpye todya
now it's 21
yay

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 22:29

Yes! You finally added world 2! Thank Hugo :D

HugoBDesigner

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 22:38

OrbitalBlueprint wrote:Yes! You finally added world 2! Thank Hugo :D
I bet most of you thought I forgot about BP! Thank YOU!

Snowburger

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 08:48

Hi Hugo(Yes,I''m here as well)!I saw that you said you're going to add Turrets later.But do you mean add Turrets to the whole Mari0 +Portal mod or just a custom enemy for Mari0?
Yeah,I got lag on 1-3 too.
Maybe it has to do with the Portal Gun Picking-up?
EDIT:Nope,just been playing around and it's the Deadly Goop Dispenser.Don't know why D:

EDIT:Sorry.Just saw you've already worked that out!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 10:20

Snowburger wrote:Hi Hugo(Yes,I''m here as well)!I saw that you said you're going to add Turrets later.But do you mean add Turrets to the whole Mari0 +Portal mod or just a custom enemy for Mari0?
I want to add them as an entity, so it'd be to the whole mod. You can't make custom enemies in my mod yet so it'd only be possible as an entity.

Snowburger

Post » 25 Jul 2014, 09:45

Hi Hugo.I know this is a bit much,but could I help with the rest of Blue Portals?Not to pat myself on the back,but I'd consider myself a pretty decent level/puzzle designer.My basic idea is that I start working on the next Blue Portals levels,send my new puzzles to you,and then you can "judge" them(I've played Blue Portals,so I have a pretty good idea of your puzzles and stuff :D).Thanks anyways,even if I can't help :P

HugoBDesigner

Post » 25 Jul 2014, 11:01

Snowburger wrote:Hi Hugo.I know this is a bit much,but could I help with the rest of Blue Portals?Not to pat myself on the back,but I'd consider myself a pretty decent level/puzzle designer.My basic idea is that I start working on the next Blue Portals levels,send my new puzzles to you,and then you can "judge" them(I've played Blue Portals,so I have a pretty good idea of your puzzles and stuff :D).Thanks anyways,even if I can't help :P
This is really nice from you for offering yourself to help me. Don't take me bad, but I like to work alone. Although I don't see any problems on you making your own mappack of Blue Portals. You can make it as a prequel or sequel of mine, or you can make it completely new. After all, I don't own the copyright for the Blue Portals theme anyway :P

Snowburger

Post » 25 Jul 2014, 11:33

Bummer...Okay though.I'm gonna start my own mappack anyway..
Don't take me bad, but I like to work alone.
Go home,Buddy.I work alone.

Snowburger

Post » 07 Aug 2014, 20:45

Hey Hugo!I've actually found the source of all the lag in 1-3!It's the stairs and the slopes!You know,anything you can just walk up and don't have to jump!Don't know if you figured this out already though...;D

HugoBDesigner

Post » 07 Aug 2014, 22:11

Snowburger wrote:Hey Hugo!I've actually found the source of all the lag in 1-3!It's the stairs and the slopes!You know,anything you can just walk up and don't have to jump!Don't know if you figured this out already though...;D
I already figured this out. This is because for every pixel of every pixel collision tile an entity is created. I may optimize it by grouping multiple pixels in a single entity, but this will only happen after the 1.0 update, since, besides the lag, it doesn't cause any problems in the game ;)

Snowburger

Post » 07 Aug 2014, 23:59

Ah,ok then!Good luck with the rest of Blue Portals!

Snowburger

Post » 08 Aug 2014, 15:07

Hugo,I know it's asking alot,but please could you extend the Blue Portals tileset?I mean like with the (non-collision)tiles that lean up walls,the BPDC screens,maybe a defective turret(that doesn't do anything).I don't mind if you can't or won't,I do realise this is a bit demanding :D D:

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Aug 2014, 20:04

Snowburger wrote:Hugo,I know it's asking alot,but please could you extend the Blue Portals tileset?I mean like with the (non-collision)tiles that lean up walls,the BPDC screens,maybe a defective turret(that doesn't do anything).I don't mind if you can't or won't,I do realise this is a bit demanding :D D:
I don't know what you mean, Snowburger. I already have these "tiles that lean up walls" in my tileset and the BPDC screen as an animated overlay data. You could also convert it to a custom indicator too, it should be pretty easy :)

Snowburger

Post » 08 Aug 2014, 20:07

I mean,like,tiles you view from the side,maybe railing.Sorry.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Aug 2014, 20:19

Snowburger wrote:I mean,like,tiles you view from the side,maybe railing.Sorry.
They wouldn't be so noticeable, right? I mean, they'd have to be at max 4 pixels wide. But sure, I can do that. I'll edit this post when I have them done...

EDIT: Here it is, if that's what you meant:

jwright159

Post » 13 Aug 2014, 21:37

Cool mappack. I love the graphics, commands, etc.

Can't wait till I play it.