All Night Stabyourself Super Mario Bros. Revival

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
idiot9.0

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 01:48

So the plan for this is to recreate the feeling of the special version of SMB, titled "All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros.", but only with members of our forum.
For those who don't know, All Night Nippon was a special version of SMB, released only in Japan, that changed the enemies and NPCs to various DJ's of a radio show with the same name.

To recreate some of that feeling, what we'll be doing is replacing every enemy and NPC with members of our forum. However unlike the previous mod, which was purely graphical, we're going to see about making this it's own thing. Instead of being purely cosmetic, I'll be allowing custom enemies, so you can literally act like how you want to be shown in the mod. A mappack will also be involved, which I will be allowing more creative freedom than last time. And any ideas that can't be taken care of with SE will be asked to modded in by those who've shown interest.

So this is where you come in. If you want to be part of this mod, it'll be similar to last time. A few basic things.

We will be using SE beta8 for this mod, as I've heard it's the most stable. The link is here for anyone who doesn't have it:
http://guegan.de/stuff/mari0_se_2014-01-24_8asdas.love

There will be 3 separate part to this, and since I have to explain all in detail, I'll put each in spoilers. So here we go.

Enemy Wise:
You have to contribute to the project yourself, similar to last time. This is so I know you are willing to show effort to be in this. Follow these guidelines:
- I plan to use a default tileset, which I explain below this list. When released use that.
- You must be in good standing with the community. Being new does not eliminate your chances, but it may significantly lower them.
- Using an OC (original character) is best, but this will be judged case-by-case. No terrible mario/sonic recolors.
- Don't post what spot you want if you plan to be an enemy. Make the sprites completely and then post.
- In the case of replacing NPCs (Peach, Toad) and coin blocks: First come first serve. Make them fast but make them good if you want these spots.
- Due to SE's custom enemies we are not limited to who can be what enemy-wise. This is why I ask you show your sprites when you want to apply.
- Make sure to include a .json file if you want to be a custom, or say what type of enemy if you want it to be a straight replacement. If nothing other than sprites is shown I'll assume you want to be a goomba.
- At this time I'm NOT accepting replacements for power-ups. I apologize to Trist3D in advance.

With sprites they will have only one restriction: The color palette. You're only allowed to use the NES color palette. However you can go crazy on which colors and how many you use. Just only use the colors on that palette. It's provided in the spoiler below

Now I know everyone can't sprite. I ask that you take your best crack at it, but if you can't you are able to seek those who can for help. Just be polite about it and keep it through PM's.
But I do want to at least see some effort on your part to be in this thing.
And for those who were part of the old mod, if you truly want to you are allowed to just bring those sprites over and use those. I'll happily accept them.

Also I am going to allow anyone and everyone to be Mario this time around. It'll be the same thing with the enemies: Make it yourself and provide the sprites. Do not ask for reservations. This is due to the fact that I am not going to bundle the characters with the mod. Instead I'll advertise them in this post once some are made and you can download whichever ones you want.
And you can have both an enemy and a character. One of each. Just up to you to show the effort for it.
Mappack Wise:
I AM NOT STARTING IT IMMEDIATELY. I WILL TELL YOU WHEN WE START THE MAP. WHEN IT DOES.....
It'll be run similarly to how I ran it before but I will allow much more freedom. Follow these guidelines: -make this a quote-
- You'll be limited to 22 normal tiles and 22 animated tiles. These cannot be exchanged in anyway. You can use any attributes to your tiles. This will allow both creative freedom yet also restrict you to the main tileset at the same time. This should allow some creative levels.
- You can make as much levels as you want to contribute. But each MEMBER will only be allowed the 22 tiles of each category regardless of how many they make.
- You are allowed to use everyone else's tiles as well. But you should focus on a basic level design at least so you're not relying on others, then build up from there as more tiles are added.
- Tiles will be required to follow the color palette rule too
- I plan to keep the map mostly platformer, but add puzzles and stuff if you want. Just don't make them borderline Kaizo.
- I reserve the right to edit levels to make any changes, or just flat out refuse it's inclusion.
- I want a story added, and also some world themes. Post some suggestions for both.
- No 4th wall levels or referencing anything outside the Marioverse.

I'm also looking for a default tileset at this time too, with some things like basic land tiles for grass fields, underground, and castle. Some portal-ish tiles would be nice too. Also I have heard some people mention world theming, IE W1 is Grass, W2 Desert, etc etc. If we have world themes then I'd love a hand at some default things for those too.
Modding Wise:
I have asked if people wanted anything else in the mod this time around, but everything suggested so far can be taken care of using SE alone. With that said, if something does get suggested and SE can't do it I will be needing someone to add it in. If you are willing to mod for this at any time please post saying you can so I can have a nice list of go-to's if it happens.
If you read that all I understand that was quite a lengthy read and I apologize but I do thank you for your time, and if you choose to join I can't wait to see some wonderful contributions from all of you. Let's keep this thread nice and clean and have a great community project here.

mindnomad

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 05:02

I guess I'll take the place of the Starman again. Here is the sprite sheet from before: Image

Qwerbey

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 05:46

I'll be the menu select mushroom. Image

TurretBot

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 06:04

Luna, did you even read the first post, he said no power-ups.

Also, I'll be the ?-Block again: Image
Wether I'm all four or just one is up to you. If I'm all four, could I replace the hit block too?
(I'm aware the ?-Block format changed for SE but you get the point.)

idiot9.0

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 06:22

... Well I feel silly. I approved it on steam chat but forgot I said no powerups.... I'll think it over.
Also I'm not sure of the hit frame. I'll again think it over.

MissingWorld

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 08:33

I doubt anyone will fill this slot, and I'm not as memorable on the site as one would anticipate. So have a toad.
Image The outline's only there because it's supposed to be a black-background deal, but eh.
And yes, he's supposed to be facing away from the character.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 10:15

If anyone needs help spriting, I can help. If we decide for any stylistic consistencies I can create fixes for those too!
If I'm going to be a player character again, I think we should use my updated character from the character thread nope

EDIT: Flutter Skye has informed me that the download expired, hope this new one from drop-box works: nope not this one either

EDIT 2: I continue to fuck up. HERE WE GO!
Last edited by Assasin-Kiashi on 14 Jul 2014, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.

Trist3D

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 10:36

I wanna be a part of this, but I'm going to have to wait for a new charger cord.
Tfw not a powerup anymore

renhoek

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 11:12

Decided to get off my ass and update Gabe Image
EDIT:
more smb styled Image

Sergione

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 14:36

I rather would make the Lakitu. Behold the sprites (they are not the best that I drew):

Last edited by Sergione on 18 Jul 2014, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Flutter Skye

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 15:55

I'd like to be the plant again.

Automatik

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 17:05

Flutter Skye wrote:I'd like to be the plant again.
I think this time you have to use the NES color palette.

alesan99

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 17:17

Since we are using mari0 se we are able to make enemies with more frames so renhoek can change his sprite so the thing on gabe's head doesn't flip.

Anyway if someone want's the enemy to do something special tell me so I can give you the .json code.

Flutter Skye

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 17:30

Automatik wrote:
Flutter Skye wrote:I'd like to be the plant again.
I think this time you have to use the NES color palette.
The sprites are 8-bit.

LightningFire

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 19:17

Wait are the Marios also limited to the NES color palette?

Sunset_Moth

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 19:40

Sergione wrote:I rather would make the Lakitu. Behold the sprites (they are not the best that I drew):

Those are huge compared to the basic Lakitu and don't seem to be standard-sized. Plus the background needs to be transparent. Basically, sprites have rules that you didn't follow in making these. If the game doesn't freak out when you use them, they will most likely be sliced up and definitely will be much larger than they should be.

idiot9.0

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 19:42

Just so we're clear, everything's limited to the color palette. Just there is no restriction on how many colors you can use.

Also, something I should say: Though I am okay if you use your old sprites, I wouldn't mind if you do try something new. Just saying.

And to answer your questions Alesan, Yes. That's something I actually encourage.
Last edited by idiot9.0 on 14 Jul 2014, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

LightningFire

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 19:57

I am working on some new sprites, although they're not based on the color palette.
Nothing a few edits can't fix.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 21:16

If I drew some sprites for my character that followed the palette, could I be fired from pipes? It'd be funny to watch a player go up to a pipe and suddenly OUT COMES WHAT SHEEP. (That's kinda what I'm calling my little avatar dude who is drawn intentionally terribly.)
I'd launch three at a time, and I'd be launched straight up and not come down. There would be an invisible plant enemy that fired them, and it wouldn't collide. Or possibly just a cannon. I dunno.

idiot9.0

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 21:32

If you can make the sprites and the appropriate .json file (or find someone that could do it) then go for it. I already said it's not purely graphical, I'm allowing customs to go with the mappack I'll start in a little while.

LightningFire

Post » 14 Jul 2014, 23:34

Alright I'm done.

Normal:
8-Bit:
I would make it customizable, but laziness and whatnot.

TheSeek

Post » 15 Jul 2014, 00:13

I guess imma be the coins again.
EDIT
coin

coinanimation

coinblockanimation

Jackostar10000

Post » 16 Jul 2014, 09:27

can i be the hammer bro. is it taken yet?

Turtle95

Post » 16 Jul 2014, 21:26

I'll be the red koopas again, but I'll 8-bitify them for you.

EDIT:

Tell me if it's not 8-bit (I used the pallette, but it looked like some colors didn't change)

Shank

Post » 16 Jul 2014, 23:33

i did some stuff for the spikey at 5 am
if you hate something i can change it but if you hate it in general then lol or something

TurretBot

Post » 16 Jul 2014, 23:46

Could use some shading, also how would you know it's not stompable...

Spider-Man

Post » 18 Jul 2014, 06:15

Shank wrote:i did some stuff for the spikey at 5 am
if you hate something i can change it but if you hate it in general then lol or something
I can shade it. ImageImage EDIT: Can someone send me the Mario sprites? I can't seem to extract the love.file.

jwright159

Post » 18 Jul 2014, 16:17

Rename .love to .zip

Anyway, it there a maximum size for custom enemies?

alesan99

Post » 18 Jul 2014, 17:25

jwright159 wrote:Anyway, it there a maximum size for custom enemies?
Filesize, sprite size, or collision size?

Spider-Man

Post » 18 Jul 2014, 19:02

jwright159 wrote:Rename .love to .zip

Can't do it. I hate windows 8. Just give me the sprites in pms.

popcan12

Post » 18 Jul 2014, 19:46

Hey, so what's the theme of the mappack?

Shank

Post » 18 Jul 2014, 22:03

Spider-Man wrote:
Shank wrote:i did some stuff for the spikey at 5 am
I can shade it. ImageImage EDIT: Can someone send me the Mario sprites? I can't seem to extract the love.file.
Ohmygod that's beautiful, danke.

MagicPillow

Post » 19 Jul 2014, 03:26

Spider-Man wrote:

I have windows 8, and I can do it. You might have to enable "Show file extensions".

Spider-Man

Post » 19 Jul 2014, 07:31

MagicPillow wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

I have windows 8, and I can do it. You might have to enable "Show file extensions".
Where? EDIT:NVM I did it. EDIT 2: What are the requirements for mappack? Just asking. I would like to be the mappack creator/co-creator.

Villager103

Post » 20 Jul 2014, 14:18

Could I be in this? And what things are taken?

idiot9.0

Post » 20 Jul 2014, 18:50

It's amazing that I can lay every goddamn detail out in the first post and yet I still get at least 3 people asking me the stupidest of questions that I said do not freaking ask.
There is no things "taken" since we're using custom enemies to handle things, be whatever enemy you want and sprite them out before saying what you want to be.
If you want to go the extra mile and make it fully custom with different attack patterns then by all means do it.

Spider-Man

Post » 22 Jul 2014, 16:27

Ugh, I just got an story for the mappack. Bowser has tired of kidnapping Peach. He got an message from Tatanga, To steal Daisy. Bowser agreed and went to Sarasaland to kidnap Daisy. They both got her. (character's name) got an message from Peach, To save Daisy from Bowser and Tatanga. You know the rest.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jul 2014, 16:35

At the moment speaking, since every enemy in this would be made through the custom enemies feature, would it be possible to have multiple users be represented by the same enemy without having to change themes?

idiot9.0

Post » 22 Jul 2014, 19:41

Spider-Man wrote:Ugh, I just got an story for the mappack. Bowser has tired of kidnapping Peach. He got an message from Tatanga, To steal Daisy. Bowser agreed and went to Sarasaland to kidnap Daisy. They both got her. (character's name) got an message from Peach, To save Daisy from Bowser and Tatanga. You know the rest.
So Bowser is tired of kidnapping princesses and plans to cure this by capturing a princess. It does give Daisy some limelight but I'm not sure yet.
Superjustinbros wrote:At the moment speaking, since every enemy in this would be made through the custom enemies feature, would it be possible to have multiple users be represented by the same enemy without having to change themes?
Yes that would be possible, but it's not something I hope happens. Since I am allowing custom enemies, I do expect to see a few people go crazy and make enemies that do something original and not seen in the original SMB, since the revival's not a complete graphic replacement and more a new map/mod.

...I should make it a downright requirement.
Last edited by idiot9.0 on 23 Jul 2014, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

renhoek

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 07:17

idiot9.0 wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:Ugh, I just got an story for the mappack. Bowser has tired of kidnapping Peach. He got an message from Tatanga, To steal Daisy. Bowser agreed and went to Sarasaland to kidnap Daisy. They both got her. (character's name) got an message from Peach, To save Daisy from Bowser and Tatanga. You know the rest.
So Bowser is tired of kidnapping princesses and plans to cure this by capturing a princess. It does give Daisy some limelight but I'm not sure yet.
If there is a story it shouldn't include any Mario characters since that's going against the idea of the mod.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 08:19

If we need a villian, I'm willing to change role to take the place. e u e

idiot9.0

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 08:24

You'd have to make a custom boss that takes at least 3 hits for it then.

Spider-Man

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 12:58

idiot9.0 wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote:At the moment speaking, since every enemy in this would be made through the custom enemies feature, would it be possible to have multiple users be represented by the same enemy without having to change themes?
Yes that would be possible, but it's not something I hope happens. Since I am allowing custom enemies, I do expect to see a few people go crazy and make enemies that do something original and not seen in the original SMB, since the revival's not a complete graphic replacement and more a new map/mod.

...I should make it a downright requirement.
Yes, Bowser has kidnapped Peach countless times and he's tired of it.EDIT: New story, You can use the old or this. Kamek spied on Princess Peach's Castle and they heard the Mario Bros. talking about some vault of Mushroom Kingdom which has it's coins. Kamek got an idea for stealing the vault and told Bowser the plan. Continue pls.

renhoek

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 14:09

Spider-Man wrote:Yes, Bowser has kidnapped Peach countless times and he's tired of it.EDIT: New story, You can use the old or this. Kamek spied on Princess Peach's Castle and they heard the Mario Bros. talking about some vault of Mushroom Kingdom which has it's coins. Kamek got an idea for stealing the vault and told Bowser the plan. Continue pls.
How does this lead to a bunch of forums guys?

idiot9.0

Post » 23 Jul 2014, 16:37

Spider-Man wrote:Yes, Bowser has kidnapped Peach countless times and he's tired of it.EDIT: New story, You can use the old or this. Kamek spied on Princess Peach's Castle and they heard the Mario Bros. talking about some vault of Mushroom Kingdom which has it's coins. Kamek got an idea for stealing the vault and told Bowser the plan. Continue pls.
Bowser fails to steal the coins and when the Mario Bros. hear about this they sue Bowser for everything he owns. They win, take Bowser's caslte and then Bowser becomes homeless. The end.
I'll think of something.

Spider-Man

Post » 24 Jul 2014, 14:46

Lawl.EDIT: Another story. Bowser has tired of his plans, But he got a plan. Bowser kidnapped the Mario Bros. When they were walking with the laptop, Browsing stabyourself forums with a cage. A lightning shocks the laptop, Making the members of stabyourself to come in Mushroom Kingdom. Bowser flys away with his Koopa Clown Car. Bowser also kidnapped peach. It's up to the members of stabyourself to save the Mario Bros. and Peach!
Last edited by Spider-Man on 24 Jul 2014, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Firaga

Post » 24 Jul 2014, 14:51

Spider-Man wrote:Lawl.
Why did you even feel the need to post this.

Also, I might be in, if I have enough time between this and SMI.

Spider-Man

Post » 24 Jul 2014, 14:51

Edited.

Shank

Post » 24 Jul 2014, 15:29

Spider-Man wrote:Stuff
Can we just like, not try write a backstory for now?

renhoek

Post » 24 Jul 2014, 16:12

Shank wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:Stuff
Can we just like, not try write a backstory for now?
As far as I was aware there isn't going to be (also that story is dumb)