[Help needed] Mari0 TAS minimod

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
HugoBDesigner

Post » 12 May 2014, 04:39

So, I've talked to mindnomad, and I made a small step to TASes video makers!

I added my Mari0 +Portal in-game recording system and customizable "bullettime" speed and minimum speed. I also removed the gradient image from slow motion. You could STILL can do it all in my Mari0 +Portal mod, but this mod is slow and laggy and crashes very often, so I made this.

To make custom slow mo speeds, add a file named "slowmospeed.txt" in your mappack with the slow mo speed (how slow it gets each time you scroll down).

To make custom minimum slow mo speed (down to 0), add a file named "slowmo.txt" in your mappack.

The in-game recorder keeps track of the slow mo speed, so the final product will always play in the default speed, no matter how often you increase/decrease the game speed!

To use the recorder is simple: F9 to start recording, F9 to stop recording, F10 to stop recording with transparency correction (a little bit slower to render, but increases quality), F11 to cancel recording, F3 to take screenshots.

To get the result of your recording (only frames), go to "%appdata%/LOVE/mari0/records/[mappack name]/record_[n]"

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 05 Aug 2014, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

mindnomad

Post » 13 May 2014, 00:44

A few improvments that could be made to this:
-input file creation for recording and playing back input
-Savestates
-Toggle input display
-Frame display (to show length of movie in frames in format #/#)

That's all I have for now

HugoBDesigner

Post » 13 May 2014, 13:35

mindnomad wrote:A few improvments that could be made to this:
-input file creation for recording and playing back input
Like a replay system? I'll try to work on this...

-Savestates
They're a little hard... Wait, no, they aren't. They may cause a little bit of lag, though. I'll get at least this for the next update.

-Toggle input display
Not really sure what you mean here...

-Frame display (to show length of movie in frames in format #/#)
It does this in the window title already.

That's all I have for now
Also, the first time you said "recording" in the Steam chat, I thought you meant a video recorder like thing, not a movement recorder. I'll try hard to get them in the next update!

mindnomad

Post » 13 May 2014, 17:47

By toggle input display, I mean a way to show what buttons are being pressed (Jump, run, left, right, etc.)

This is used so that you can see what buttons were pressed during recording and playback.
Last edited by mindnomad on 23 Jun 2014, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

mindnomad

Post » 14 May 2014, 19:43

(Sorry for the double post)
Some concept art Hugo made for a timeline idea. It'll let you edit actions for how long and when you do them.

Superjustinbros

Post » 15 May 2014, 19:23

Looking good!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 15 May 2014, 22:06

Thank you! Keep in mind that the image mindnomad posted was only Concept Art, and I have no idea of how long it'll take to make the mod look like that (or if it'll ever look like that anyway)...

mindnomad

Post » 18 May 2014, 00:57

We have some more plans for this mod. Here's a list of what we'll be adding:
-Frame counter to tell us how far we are into a movie (So while you're recording, it'll display at how many frames you've done, and during playback it will show how many frames you are at out of the movie length (Frame you're at/total movie length in frames) as well as in seconds in parenthesis)
-Savestates/bookmarks that will allow you to save at a point in your movie so you can make retries of a particular point. There will be 9 slots for savestates as well as hot keys for saving and loading.
-Rerecord counter that will show how many times you've loaded states. This information will also be saved in a separate file from the movie file itself.

This is all we have for now atm. if you wanna help with development on this project, you can come into the steam chat since we're always there.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 May 2014, 01:32

What mindnomad (A.K.A Luna) said. I think it's okay to give suggestions here too, since not everyone (including me a while ago) visits the Steam chat. Feedback is always appreciated, even though there's not much yet to be seen from the final product...

mindnomad

Post » 18 Jul 2014, 02:11

Another update. We decided to drop the timeline idea in favor of the more traditional way of making TAS movies. So it'll only include savestates, input recording, and frame advance really...

HugoBDesigner

Post » 05 Aug 2014, 08:42

Sorry for the bump, guys. I've been working on this mod a lot since I last posted something. I've got input recording and playing working just fine, but I need some help with savestates. I talked with Turtle95, and he suggested that I should use JSON to save the savestate files. The problem is that I don't know how to use JSON and even if I did I'd still need some help with the overall mod. We don't want it to become a big mod or anything, but just make it record and play TASes properly. Of course this person would have credits for the help. If anyone's willing to help, just contact me or mindnomad via PM (or post in this thread).

I LÖVE LUA

Post » 05 Aug 2014, 20:01

I would like to help you. I already started to think about how to do savestates for Extra Stuff, but I never really coded it.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 06 Aug 2014, 03:26

Thanks for volunteering, I LÖVE LUA! I'll PM you with more information :)