[Bug + suggestion + glitch]Some multiplayer game experience

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
fakeuser

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 00:17

It all begins with design for multiplayer maps.
  • There is currently no way to define start position for each individual player. And there should be (e.g. if you want to force players to separate and take different routes) (yeah, I know this can be accomplished by sth like two buttons and two gates)
  • Furthermore - if one of the players dies but the other one lives, the dead one is respawned where the other one is currently. There should be a way to define a checkpoint for every single (of all 4) player. Just to avoid forcing players to commit mass suicide in order to restart the level
  • If for some reason the two players get separated for more than one screen width, the one on the right always gets the camera, leaving the left one blind. I read something about rewriting this or adding parallax scrolling? If not, may be just forcing the camera to focus on the last moving player (e.g. one player flies out of a infinite loop, then stands still and allows the other one to actually see what he is doing and get there as well)
  • In the background of options menu gets loaded level 1-1 of current mappack. And I'm able to control Mario with joystick controls while the menu overlay is visible (can shoot portals and aim). Not sure if this is because my joystick is virtual and is actually a mouse.
  • When one player dies his (or her) portals stay. This is kinda wrong... especially if the dead player has no lives left
  • Suggesting again that cameras (or an entity with other name) are added - they should check if all alive players are in some (3-4 tiles) range
  • I may be wrong, but while looking through base game code, I think I saw some server and client code for transmitting and receiving player controls (maybe about network play)? If the client side (the receiver) is ready it could be "opened" to public, meaning to give a little information what info could be passed and on what port. This could help adding seamlessly (without modification to game code) different controllers. (e.g. Love gets only cursor coordinates but C could read every single connected mouse direct input)
And yes, the game really get a new taste when not playing alone. Congrats for the up-to-4-players multiplayer!