Check Point suggestions/ideas/musings

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Franpa

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 08:28

This post is old, please refer to the 2nd post for up to date information.

In v1.4 it was changed so that Check Points in the Over World now take into account the X and Y position of the Check Point flag (Thank you for implementing this), if you die after passing one you will respawn at that height. Currently this does not work in Sub Levels, instead Check Points in Sub Levels spawn you in the appropriate place in the Over World but without taking into account the height of the Check Point or previously triggered Check Points. I am exploiting this in my Challenge Map Pack to add some additional Check Points to the map that normally wouldn't work.

It would still be neat if I could "re-activate" previous checkpoints in a level (Check Point to the left of the previously activated Check Point), it would make it easier to place check points and allow me to place them in the Over World to have both the X and Y positions taken into account by the Check Point system.

Another suggestion would be to prevent Check Points from killing all enemies in the vicinity of the Check Point unless the Check Point is placed within a Flying Fish or Under Water Level area. As far as I am aware enemies can't be a problem unless a Check Point is used in an under water level, flying fish area (Areas where enemies are randomly generated) or placed next to an enemy or something equally silly. In normal levels the enemy locations are pre-determined/placed by the map author so the author can make sure the Check Point doesn't start the player in a silly position just like they always should so it makes no sense to kill the enemies in the vicinity of the Check Point.

Thirdly, it would be nice if the Check Point system/initial spawning in a level centers the camera on the player instead of being positioned a little to the right of the player.

I understand you want to emulate Super Mario BROS. but these changes would make the Check Point system significantly more flexible for use in custom maps/levels.
Last edited by Franpa on 13 Oct 2012, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Franpa

Post » 13 Oct 2012, 11:50

Annotated Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhXoWp-05_c&hd=1
Level download: http://home.exetel.com.au/franpa/mari0/demonstration.7z

The limitations of the current check point system limit its ability to be used in various level designs. Considering that Mario SE will introduce variable level heights I expect people will want to start doing large complex mazes (No, not those castle mazes where you have to take the correct path which is either the high road, middle road or low road.) and complex level designs where the path requires the player to travel to the left in segments of the level.

The 1st example in the video demonstrates how the current checkpoint system can fail for a basic maze like path that the player must travel along, no doubt becoming significantly less useful for taller, more grander multiple choice mazes (With dead ends etc).

The 2nd example shows that you can't isolate a check point system from an upper or lower path so you can't have 2 checkpoints where one is above the other and have the correct one trigger. It will always trigger the lowest one, so you can't have a check point along the upper path and have it work when the player takes that path, as the player will always spawn at the lowest checkpoint. If you misaligned the top and bottom checkpoint then the one furthest to the right in the level will take precedence. (As far as I know there is no work around for this, other then not to do this kind of thing when developing a level)

The 3rd example shows that you can't have check points triggered in a portion of a level that requires the player to travel to the left, if they have already triggered a checkpoint to the right of the one they had just passed.

As an additional note: I do not like the NES Mario camera system for when traveling to the left, please make it like Super Mario BROS. 3 (At least make it an option!) where Mario is always centered horizontally except when approaching the boundary of a level. Some people are also a fan of how Super Mario World shifts the camera whenever you gain momentum, so that you're shifted towards the edge of the screen you are moving away from, I however do not like this approach but I won't stand in the way of this also being implemented as an option.

Edit: Updated video annotations to make it clearer at the 2:30~ mark.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 13 Oct 2012, 18:45

Mari0 SE's checkpoints are region based.