A couple problems I noticed in v1.3.

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Franpa

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 07:56

This is a very cool product, though as I've been using it I've come across a couple problems with it. (all occur on V1.3 & v1.2)

1) No Horizontal Flying Green turtle enemy. (This is present in the later flying fish levels of the original game)
2) Turtle shells only break blocks while your character is big/fire man. Turtle shells should break breakable blocks regardless of the player characters status.
3) Check Point system is useless for levels that travel to the left in places as it always places you at the lowest vacant spot at the check point, limiting its use in level designs.
4) Tripping one while testing in the level editor also bugs out making enemies sometimes not spawn for no reason. (I assume all of these problems are caused by emulating the original games checkpoint system?)
5) Tripping a checkpoint while testing a level will result in you always continuing from that Checkpoint until you restart the entire program.
6) Enemies that are slightly off the left edge of the screen when you are not spawning along the left edge of the world, don't spawn.
7) Green and Red winged turtles have the same description even though one bounces along the ground and the other flies up and down.
8) Stores levels in an obscure location (AppData? Really? Can they be stored in "My Documents\My Games" or something instead?) making it needlessly tedious to share levels with others.
9) Lakitu travels over the staircase at the end of the level (4-1), unlike in the original game where he stops chasing you before you reach the staircase.
10) Turtles aren't recovering from being stomped, they should.
11) Timer counts down ridiculously fast.

Here's my first ever level that I built with the editor, it's pretty easy to beat. I would have used a couple check points in it but checkpoints don't work in my level design very well. Anyways, feel free to comment on it etc.

here's some versions of my map showing what I mean with the checkpoint system and enemies sometimes not spawning to the left of the starting place.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y3cu0mjb1 ... 0system.7z (Demonstrates points 3, 4 and 5.)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qsgnviasg ... pawning.7z (Demonstrates point 6.)
Last edited by Franpa on 08 Mar 2012, 10:10, edited 4 times in total.

renhoek

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 09:28

update to v1.3

Franpa

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 10:06

Yeah after some testing on v1.3 I found that everything I've reported is still a problem.

Bonjour

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 10:10

Franpa wrote:This is a very cool product, though as I've been using it I've come across a couple problems with it. (V1.3)

1) No Horizontal Flying Green turtle enemy. (This is present in the later flying fish levels of the original game)
2) Turtle shells only break blocks while your character is big/fire man. Turtle shells should break breakable blocks regardless of the player characters status.
3) Check Point system is useless for levels that travel to the left in places as it always places you at the lowest vacant spot at the check point, limiting its use in level designs.
4) Tripping one while testing in the level editor also bugs out making enemies sometimes not spawn for no reason. (I assume all of these problems are caused by emulating the original games checkpoint system?)
5) Tripping a checkpoint while testing a level will result in you always continuing from that Checkpoint until you restart the entire program.
6) Enemies that are slightly off the left edge of the screen when you are not spawning along the left edge of the world, don't spawn.
7) Green and Red winged turtles have the same description even though one bounces along the ground and the other flies up and down.
8) Stores levels in an obscure location (AppData? Really? Can they be stored in "My Documents\My Games" or something instead?) making it needlessly tedious to share levels with others.
9) Lakitu travels over the staircase at the end of the level (4-1), unlike in the original game where he stops chasing you before you reach the staircase.

Here's my first ever level that I built with the editor, it's pretty easy to beat. I would have used a couple check points in it but checkpoints don't work in my level design very well. Anyways, feel free to comment on it etc.

here's some versions of my map showing what I mean with the checkpoint system and enemies sometimes not spawning to the left of the starting place.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y3cu0mjb1 ... 0system.7z
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qsgnviasg ... pawning.7z
Timer countq down ridicolusely fast ? This is not a bug : a Mario second is equal to 1/6 of a second.
For the 10 and the 8.. fucking hell no.

Also : fucking wrong section.

Franpa

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 10:14

I'm reporting problems with the product, I didn't think it would be better to post it in the maps or modding sections though upon reflection the mapping section of the forum may have been more appropriate, sorry for the problem. I know the timer in Mario BROS. counts faster then a usual second but in this game it's more like counting down at the speed that world 8's timer counts at (Slightly faster then the other worlds) as well as every world in a new game+.

What is wrong with points 8 and 10? Point 10 is how NES mario enemies work... and point 8, eh, it's okay as is but I still think it's not a very logical place to put them.

DiamondPhoenix

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 10:49

Something i dont get (offtopic)
So in minecraft modding, they tell us to go to appdata the hard way.
All i have to do, is right click on the minecraft icon on my desktop, and click "Open containing folder" and TADA!!

Also i had to translate "Ouvrir l'emplacement du fichier" so i have no idea what it actually says in english.

Anyway, just create a shortcut to this obscure location, and stick the shortcut in your documents or something!

Also, about the timer: it goes down at the exact same speed as SMB .
I opened SMB in an emulator and put it right besides Mari0, and by pausing mari0 for like a frame, imanaged to get it go goes at the same time as SMB on the emulator.
I let it go until i had a time up. And worlds dont seem to make any diffrence; i compared world 8 of mari0 with world 1 of SMB: same speed.
Last edited by DiamondPhoenix on 08 Mar 2012, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

slime
Shaders guy

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 10:52

Unfortunately LÖVE's virtual filesystem can only write to appdata for now, however a future mari0 update might have a way to open the directory in explorer through the game.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 10:55

Franpa wrote:1) No Horizontal Flying Green turtle enemy. (This is present in the later flying fish levels of the original game)
Yeah I got lazy
Will fix (if true)
Will fix
That's because checkpoints clear the immediate area of enemies.
Fixed in 1.3?
.. what
Will fix
Not my fault. Blame Löve.
He stops just when you touch the staircase, and it's like that in Mari0 too. Tested.
meh..
no

DiamondPhoenix

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:03

Also, for number 2 (sorry for this) But turtle shells are not supposed to destroy brick blocks at all! no matter what! (i just tested on SMB)

Just wanted to tell

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:06

I couldn't find a single instance in SMB where turtle shells can even collide with a destructible block, but they do it in SMB 3 so I thought I'd make that.

Franpa

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:23

Thanks for the response :)

#5 does indeed appear to be fixed. With #6, I mean that in the test example I provided there are 2 goombas that spawn to the left of you, yet in that example they don't, presumably because there spawn point isn't in view when Mario spawns? you can use the level editor to check how it is built.

With regards to #8 & #9, I am fine with them as they are, these were more along the lines of suggestions then things I actually considered to be problems. I can use Symbolic Links to achieve what I want with regards to where the game stores level files and where it reads them from.

After replaying the NES game, it seems there are NO places in the game where the player can kick a turtle shell in to a destructible block (Edit: I stand corrected, 5-2 has such an instance). This means that the current behavior in v1.3 of Mari0 is neither right nor wrong as the behavior doesn't appear to be defined in the game it's based on. Also I seriously thought the timer was counting faster then expected, my memory must be fuzzy.
Last edited by Franpa on 08 Mar 2012, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.

ToastyKen

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:24

Some issues I found:

1) Infinite lives trick at the end of 3-1 staircase doesn't work. The turtle shell stops just a bit too far to the right to continue the loop.

2) There are a pair of adjacent koopas nera the beginning of 2-2. I jumped on the first and sent it flying to the right, and somehow it went THROUGH the second koopa instead of killing it.

3) When you climb to the top of a vine and keep climbing up, you just fall off, whereas in the original you'd kinda fly off the vine a little but then fall back onto it, resulting in a little "dance".

But overall, this is an amazing effort with so much attention to detail! Those nuances are the exceptions that prove the rule! :)

Oh, and also it feels a bit harsh to have limited lives in the portal maps!

DiamondPhoenix

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:25

It can happen in a level, 5-2, where there is a red koopa, where brick blocks go up above a pit... kick the shell to the left, and it will bounce off the other brick platform.
This place at 0:51, except the guy kicks it to the right. But if you want me to make a video showing it then i will. :P

ToastyKen

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:29

One more nuance:

4) At the beginning of 2-2, there are a pair of goombas right next to each other. If you jump directly in between them, you should kill them both simultaneously, getting 100 points for one and 400 points for the other, but here you can only kill them one at a time.

Franpa

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:30

DiamondPhoenix wrote:It can happen in a level, 5-2, where there is a red koopa, where brick blocks go up above a pit... kick the shell to the left, and it will bounce off the other brick platform.
WOW, I never knew about that. I just tested it and you're totally right.
Last edited by Franpa on 08 Mar 2012, 11:52, edited 2 times in total.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 08 Mar 2012, 11:34

ToastyKen wrote:One more nuance:

4) At the beginning of 2-2, there are a pair of goombas right next to each other. If you jump directly in between them, you should kill them both simultaneously, getting 100 points for one and 400 points for the other, but here you can only kill them one at a time.
Yeah we noticed that, but it was too much effort for something this trivial.