Ideas/Things to add to Mari0

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
TurretBot

Post » 08 Jul 2013, 22:02

I don't know, I just feel like it should work that way.

lovechild

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 03:39

The entire argument is convoluted. Kooplings are authorized test "Equipment", considering they are organic material. The fact Goombas die was Maurice trying to incorporate temporary organic entities for switch-based puzzles, I guess.

Now, if my idea of letting emancipation grills only destroy items prohibited via linked signage were incorporated, then the player gets a clear indicator (when positioned correctly) what entities get to live and die by certain grills. It sounds bat-shit stupid at first, but Mari0 isn't entirely faithful to Portal now, is it?

The test elements and objects in-game are faithful to Portal, but the gameplay isn't quite. With the mention of purple gels I received in a E-Mail response it appears the team is working on a sticky gel concept, and the fact that all mobility gels may work on hard light bridges, another element voided from Portal may also be in the game. These entities alone change the game entirely, and with the potential for co-op play, all these new elements exponentiate the number of possible puzzles in a map.

TurretBot

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 04:33

Aside from that: player only blocks like in SMBX

Superjustinbros

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 05:33

I'm going to make a test map tomorrow, to see what is frizzled/killed by the Grills. From what I remember, the grills would fizzle anything except the player, only deactivating his/her portals. Lasers and light bridges could go through grills with no problems.
Turret Opera wrote:Aside from that: player only blocks like in SMBX
I made that suggestion a while back; it's likely not going to make it to SE.

TurretBot

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 08:25

Superjustinbros wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:Aside from that: player only blocks like in SMBX
I made that suggestion a while back; it's likely not going to make it to SE.
I'm guessing I shouldv have been more specific,
I mean 'only player 1/player 2/specific player can collide' blocks.
Though that sounds really dumb now that I think about it.

Other Suggestions:
-- Flip blocks and roulette blocks from Super Mario World.
-- Keys and things to unlock with keys, plus the keyhole exit also from SMW.
-- Coin activated stuff.

Qwerbey

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 16:42

A drop down menu for bullet bills that dictates direction.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 17:11

Multiple layer in the editor. I know it would be hard, but this way we could put 2 entities or blocks in the same place, and that would be really usefull for custom maps...

TurretBot

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 23:02

HugoBDesigner wrote:Multiple layer in the editor. I know it would be hard, but this way we could put 2 entities or blocks in the same place, and that would be really usefull for custom maps...
Already in, as a foreground and background layer.

Firaga

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 23:07

Turret Opera wrote:
HugoBDesigner wrote:Multiple layer in the editor. I know it would be hard, but this way we could put 2 entities or blocks in the same place, and that would be really usefull for custom maps...
Did you even listen to what he said?
He said he wanted entities being able to be placeable on the same spot.
Foreground and background layers wouldn't be able to do that (I would think) because Mario can go through that certain type of layer.

TurretBot

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 23:10

Firaga wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:
Did you even listen to what he said?
He said he wanted entities being able to be placeable on the same spot.
Foreground and background layers wouldn't be able to do that (I would think) because Mario can go through that certain type of layer.
Sorry I'm an idiot and mixed the two up =/

Gramanaitor

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 01:18

lovechild wrote: Also, excursion funnels? Those were switch-based puzzle elements too. And turrets. C'mon Maurice, turrets! Those were Portal staples! The bullets could function like gel that never falls, whereby upon touch it hurts Mario, and can thereby be blocked by light bridges.
Excursion funnels are going to be in SE, unfortunately. And there already is a turret mod: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1473

TurretBot

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 01:47

Gramanaitor wrote:unfortunately
in what way?

Qwerbey

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 04:59

It will never come.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 10:23

A survival mode where waves of enemies come at you, dropping special coins when they are defeated which you can then use to buy upgrades to help you kill more enemies.

+1 for Originality. I rock.

TurretBot

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 15:07

I believe you would start out with nothing and then you have to buy a Portal Gun, then a Gel Canon, then a pickaxe, then...IDK hammers like the hammer bros and you shoot hammmers

renhoek

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 15:11

Turret Opera wrote:you have to buy a Portal Gun
Why did this hurt to read?

TurretBot

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 15:19

renhoek wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:you have to buy a Portal Gun
Why did this hurt to read?
It shouldn't have, it's a suggested upgrade which you'd have to buy with coins in survival mode.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 17:21

And if anyone says that's a bad idea for my already terrible idea, please refrain from spitting acid at Turret.

I just got back from playing TF2's MvM when I posted that, was tired, felt like being stupid.

lovechild

Post » 11 Jul 2013, 02:20

HAPPYFACES wrote:A survival mode where waves of enemies come at you, dropping special coins when they are defeated which you can then use to buy upgrades to help you kill more enemies.

+1 for Originality. I rock.
You might be better off modding Super Crate Box instead of modding Mari0.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 11 Jul 2013, 09:37

I wasn't really being serious there, I think you caught that. On top of that, This is a thread dedicated to adding things to Mari0, be it mod or official. So... Yeah :P

creeper1919

Post » 11 Jul 2013, 21:05

why not add minecraft stuff for the minecraft cheat...
such as pigs for goomba, steve for mario and you know. Dont forget endermen for hammer bros

Automatik

Post » 11 Jul 2013, 21:12

Because Minecraft mode was meant as a joke, and reskins/additional copyright infringement(Not that this one would matter) aren't really the most needed feature.

Superjustinbros

Post » 11 Jul 2013, 22:58

One suggestion of mine from eons ago was to insert the disintegrating platforms and boulders from The Great Giana sisters. But by now the two features are very low priority.

The disintegrating platforms are like the standard falling platforms, only they have a different skin and break off a second after you step on it, rather than just falling. Enemies cannot set off these.

Boulders are hidden inside brick blocks, but can also be found standalone, and are affected by gravity. They cannot squish the player when they fall (as they have collision on all sides except down for player characters) and can be stood upon like a standard tile.

Gramanaitor

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 02:02

I'm surprised that no one has put this as an idea yet: Yoshies, but a bit edited! When riding one, they stomp on goombas, hammer bros, koopas and beetles. They also can go through portals and they can bounce higher/go faster on repulsion/propulsion gel. However, they are not immune to lasers, bowser, spikeys, underwater, etc.

TurretBot

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 02:28

renhoek wrote:IT'S NOT A SIMPLE MOUSE CLICK TO MAKE STUFF YOU KNOW!!!
(this is not a joke)

Kexaihami

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 06:08

Turret Opera wrote:
(this is not a joke)
((and?))

TheJonyMyster

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 14:51

Gramanaitor wrote:I'm surprised that no one has put this as an idea yet: Yoshies, but a bit edited! When riding one, they stomp on goombas, hammer bros, koopas and beetles. They also can go through portals and they can bounce higher/go faster on repulsion/propulsion gel. However, they are not immune to lasers, bowser, spikeys, underwater, etc.
(And that. He was replying to that with this:
Turret Opera wrote:
(this is not a joke)
)

renhoek

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 15:35

I said that because someone suggested Maurice add every single powerup in the mario games, and my views on those types of suggestions have since changed too.

Honestly what's so bad about suggesting Yoshi? The odds of him making it in are slim (the racoon power made it in after all I don't think that would have been easy.) but that doesn't mean it gives an excuse to shit on peoples idea.
This also discourages other from making suggestions. (who knows they might have an extremely creative idea)

Online's the biggest issue at the moment so making any suggestions won't delay the release any further. (and no just because you "don't care about online plox release" means everyone else doesn't care about the feature.)

in short
If all you're here for is to tell people that peoples suggestions are dumb or to make jokes about how dumb said suggestions are just get out, you have no right telling people whether or not their idea's are bad (who knows Yoshi may actually make it in.)

Sorry about the rant I'm getting really sick of the selfish, rude and immaturity on this forum (Any day now I'm going to click the log out button and never come back.)

TheJonyMyster

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 16:17

I see your point, but I still have no idea to edit my post. I was just explaining to Kexai what Turret meant.

Anyway, back on topic: A cheat for stats like in Brawl's Special battle. Meaning you could change your jump height, speed, and other things.

TurretBot

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 19:22

I wasn't saying I dislike his idea (tbh I would love if yoshi was in the game) although I admit I could have been more specific; I was more or less telling him to make a simpler suggestion.
Also, describing what yoshi does could have been left unposted because I'm sure we all know how yoshi works.
renhoek wrote:(Any day now I'm going to click the log out button and never come back.)
good then I can finally be top poster :P
Last edited by TurretBot on 02 Mar 2015, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

Jorichi

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 20:06

I had a little idea yesterday that could, if this is doable, create very interesting puzzles to solve.
I haven't fully fleshed it out, but I thought the idea might at least spark some interest...
Chain Chomp. Yes, but not in the way you'd expect. Just hear me out:

A chain chomp is attached to Mario's ankle, like a ball and chain to a prisoner. Mario can't move further than a fixed radius around the Chain Chomp. The Chain Chomp is too lazy to move. However, Mario can lift the Chain Chomp up like a companion cube to get further. Mario can't use the portal gun when carrying the Chain Chomp though and he could jump lower than usual. Chain length and reduced jump height (or weight of Chain Chomp) could be adjustable in the editor settings.
Let me explain a few things in how it could work.

Tension:
When Mario places a portal under the Chain Chomp, it will fall through and drag Mario after him until it stops (the Chain Chomp is too have to stop). If Mario is obstructed and the Chain Chomp isn't, it would create tension on the chain, causing it to break. The Chain Chomp gets mad and bites Mario. Game over, even if you're big Mario.
If Chain Chomp is obstructed and Mario isn't, Mario will simply dangle on the chain until he portals himself out of the situation or breaks the chain himself. Mario's weight alone isn't enough to break the chain.
It would be awesome if Mario could swing back and forth in this situation, but that's something for later.
Breaking an active portal with Chain Chomp on one side and Mario on the other will also make the chain break and kill Mario.
Image WEEEEEEEE!
The chain length should definitely be longer, but this is just an example.

Portal vs Chain physics:
The chain itself will simply go through the portal and collide with physical blocks. If Chain Chomp is on the edge of something and Mario jumps off, the chain would wrap around the corner and leave Mario dangling.
Lazers, Enemies, Mario and pretty much all other entities are unaffected by the chain or the chain by them.

Chain Chomp vs Objects:
Chain Chomp has an healthy appetite, he likes to feed on Goomba's. When Goomba's get near he'll go after them immediately, regardless of Mario's situation (he will jump out of Mario's hands for them!).
He likes Mushrooms too, so be sure to share.
Chain Chomp will block Bullet Bills, Lasers, Shells, walking enemies and other incoming fire. He's like a giant iron barking ball... INVINCIBLE!
Chain Chomp is too heavy for excursion funnels. His metal also makes him sink through light bridges, so you better carry him if you need to get him across.
If Chain Chomp gathers enough speed he could just break breakable blocks, so double check if that wall isn't supporting the structure...
Having special switches that can only be activated by Chain Chomp's weight would be a good thing to add for puzzle maps.
Gels? Bouncing gel? Yes please...
Aerial faith plates? Yes please...

Latching on and latching off:
It would be more fun if it was dynamic, wouldn't it? So why not make Chain Chomp an item (or a trap I should say)? Hidden in specific ?-blocks perhaps? As soon as the ?-block is hit, you're connected to Chain Chomp. A specific button will safely release you from from this burden.

I have no clue how hard this might be to code and whether or not it would be worth it. All I know is that it would add a LOT to the puzzle mechanics of the game.
Every single entity I can think about could have a fun effect on this situation, including SE's entities.
It simply fits both games really well in my opinion: Mario's wackiness and style and the puzzle elements of Portal.

The only downsides I see with this is the possibility of it being more effort than it would be worth it in the coding department and the fact that the player might easily get him/herself stuck with the Chain Chomp.
So, tell me what you guys think.

Flutter Skye

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 20:18

This is far the most cool and awesome idea on the whole forums. I really hope it will be in SE.

TurretBot

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 20:21

I like the idea, but it could be improved.
As for disconnecting from the chain chomp, I think there should be a SMB3 block/entity and that's where he's connected or disconnected.

Also, I'm assuming this is a friendly chain chomp, so he won't hurt Mario unless angered.

Jorichi

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 20:26

Turret Opera wrote:I like the idea, but it could be improved.
As for disconnecting from the chain chomp, I think there should be a SMB3 block/entity and that's where he's connected or disconnected.

Also, I'm assuming this is a friendly chain chomp, so he won't hurt Mario unless angered.
Yeah, the Chain Chomp doesn't really seems to mind Mario for as long as his chain isn't broken.
As for the connecting/disconnecting I had several ideas. It could also be some kind of wooden post as in Super Mario 64.
If it's possible to switch them from connected to disconnected that would be more than enough for me. The how doesn't really bother me.

TurretBot

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 20:39

I was also thinking you could connect him to a companion cube and carry him around without the limitations, plus he would still chase after goombas but it wouldn't matter.

EDIT: Bridging off of the idea of mario stuff with a new purpose, we could have bob-ombs in the game. This time, you can pick them up with the portal gun, and then set it back down.
You would link it to a button to make it explode, however contact with most entities will cause it to explode. The exception is faith plates, so you can launch them. Explosions break bricks and blocks only bob-omb explosions break. There could also be the pink bob-ombs from mario 64, which are the same except they only explode because of a linked object, or a emancipation grid.

lovechild

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 02:50

Good idea for a mod; Maybe as a powerup of some kind. The whole insta-kill idea, not a big fan of, but that's just because of how easy it can be to kill yourself already in-game. As for going into SE, not really. But before vitriol is poured all over my unfortunate face, let me explain why.

Mari0 -- As is -- works nicely as an online game. If we begin to add elements like these into the game, then those objects too will need to be accounted for; For every single instance of a player, there is the additional instance of a chin chomp, and that all has to be in sync for an ideal play session. The game already gets my fans spinning at max speed, online is going to take all the processor I can give to it. The more entities on-screen, the worse things will get, and limiting this number, especially when there are going to be so many other entities will only benefit the game's online capabilities -- Especially on entity-heavy maps.

The player itself is local, but the others will not be. IN a LAN play setting, this idea should work well enough, and as a battle element, hell yes. But it's not going to be fun to code, it's not a core game dynamic derived from Portal, and because of this, the idea will not likely end up on SE. Can it be done? Absolutely. Should it be done? Doesn't matter if it's a mod, just everybody has to have the mod.

An extension to my add-on idea from earlier:
if mods were given a number, then the number string (ordered alphabetically) would create a single, consistent string of numbers for each player. So if we look at it like this;

01 Better editor
03 Extra entities
07 GLaDOS boss
13 Turret mod

Then we have a string of numbers (dash-delimited) that create 01-03-07-13. An anti-cheat script could be set up for better editor, so it 01 is detected, to either void player, or reset window... unless a hidden dev switch to not cheatcheck it set out of necessity, and settings for scale and playfield size can be set for certain classes in a class-based situation (Say, player 3 has eagle eyes, he gets to see more of the screen while the rest get a regular view, obfuscated via a mod (We'll call sight mod, and for the sake of simplicity make mod 02), dependent on the editor mod's functionset, so the string would then be 01-02-03-07-13

This of course would all need to be scripted beforehand within the mods, as we can't magic this into existence. So each player needs to check with the set 01-02-03-07-13. If no turrets, then 13 is omitted from the compared map string of 01-02-03-07-13, becoming 01-02-03-07. No sight mod? Then the map has a number of 01-03-07.

Jackostar10000

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 05:21

the portal see through thing is cool, but.... i would want to turn it off

Flutter Skye

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 13:02

Jackostar10000 wrote:the portal see through thing is cool, but.... i would want to turn it off
It's a cheat.

Automatik

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 19:40

The game already gets my fans spinning at max speed, online is going to take all the processor I can give to it.
Online multiplayer isn't heavy. Try to turn on VSync.
it's not a core game dynamic derived from Portal, and because of this, the idea will not likely end up on SE.
VVVVVV gel also isn't in Portal. It still got implemented.
lovechild wrote:Then we have a string of numbers (dash-delimited) that create 01-03-07-13. An anti-cheat script could be set up for better editor, so it 01 is detected, to either void player, or reset window...
That "DRM" don't work, you can always mod the game to fake the id. And it's not a big deal for a game like mari0.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 20:22

Who'd want to fake the ID anyways? That'd just lead to problems for the person without the mod, and most likely will cause them to crash once they come across what mod is in the server's list.
But yeah I agree, the whole ID thing is kinda useless. Maurice will either figure it out or just don't bother with it.

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 20:25

VVVVVV gel also isn't in Portal
I never liked that name since I've never been a fan of VVVVVV. I may very likely just mod in it's original "Sticky" name.

TurretBot

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 20:35

Superjustinbros wrote:
VVVVVV gel also isn't in Portal
I never liked that name since I've never been a fan of VVVVVV. I may very likely just mod in it's original "Sticky" name.
Maurice is calling it VVVVVV gel, and it wasn't in portal so it has no original name.

Automatik

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 20:42

You can also call it "Purple gel".

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 23:46

Also, it was going to be in Portal 2, but it was cancelled. Same with reflective gel, but it was a bit different.

Kexaihami

Post » 14 Jul 2013, 07:25

TheJonyMyster wrote:
Gramanaitor wrote:I'm surprised that no one has put this as an idea yet: Yoshies, but a bit edited! When riding one, they stomp on goombas, hammer bros, koopas and beetles. They also can go through portals and they can bounce higher/go faster on repulsion/propulsion gel. However, they are not immune to lasers, bowser, spikeys, underwater, etc.
(And that. He was replying to that with this:
Turret Opera wrote:
(this is not a joke)
)
((and?))

TheJonyMyster

Post » 14 Jul 2013, 07:37

(You're missing both my point and your own point.)
a simple mistake therefore you're retarded

Kexaihami

Post » 14 Jul 2013, 07:40

No, you're missing my point. My point is that that is not a complicated concept for our current game engine. It should work perfectly fine.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 14 Jul 2013, 07:46

No, you're missing my point. Read this:
TheJonyMyster wrote:I see your point, but I still have no idea to edit my post. I was just explaining to Kexai what Turret meant.
If scrolled up/down and quoted my older post, why didn't you read this one?

lovechild

Post » 14 Jul 2013, 08:03

TheJonyMyster wrote:Also, it was going to be in Portal 2, but it was cancelled. Same with reflective gel, but it was a bit different.
This man is right. It was either going to be called sticky gel (reasonable) or some other technical name, like "Adhesion gel". The graphics were never included in-game, so it appears untextured.

Again, reflective gel was much the same. I think the Valve team realized that reflecting a harmful laser over and over again in a room coated with it would lead to gameplay issues. Sure, they could have delimited it, but that's not realistic now it is? How many surfaces can a red dot deflect from until it shows nothing?

Certainly, adhesion gel sounds science-y enough and sounds a lot better than ripping off another copyright with VVVVVV.
Last edited by lovechild on 14 Jul 2013, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 14 Jul 2013, 08:13

Seconded. I'd prefer the name "Sticky" to be used so it's description in the editor would be on-par with the other gels.
By now I'm expecting a "VVVVVV" cheat.