Ideas/Things to add to Mari0

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Qwerbey

Post » 29 Jul 2013, 05:00

For music to not stop and restart when going to a sub-level with the same song, but for it to just continue.

Superjustinbros

Post » 29 Jul 2013, 06:30

QwertymanO07 wrote:For music to not stop and restart when going to a sub-level with the same song, but for it to just continue.
I'd prefer it as more of a toggle option rather than something that becomes a standard with every mappack.

With an idea of mine, I as thinking of a way the Minus World warps could be handled. On the dropdown that shows the worlds available, there is a checkbox that shows "M-World Enable". If checked, it will send you to the Minus World instead of the desired world if the "Welcome to Warp Zone" text is not onscreen. If left unchecked, you always will go to the intended world.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 29 Jul 2013, 10:08

You know what would be pretty sweet to see? Bullet time become time manipulation. He could do it now, with that fancy little doo-hickey he done did in the replay-system updates.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 29 Jul 2013, 23:41

I suggested this as a mod before, but nobody wanted it too bad.
I want it, though.

lovechild

Post » 30 Jul 2013, 00:13

Superjustinbros wrote:
Gramanaitor wrote:I don't know if this is in SE or not, but how about boos? (The ghosts, not the drink.)
I'm not really up for Boos, and even if I was, I wouldn't hold my breath on them being in SE.
The boos that turn into blocks would be real nice, though, but it'd be relegated to "Let the modders do it" material.

lovechild

Post » 30 Jul 2013, 23:09

(Edit: Streamlining my idea)

Stationary laser deflection "Block". I put block in quotes because it's really be an entity. Operated via switch, it would have a default state specified by the user, and depending on point of entry, would deflect a laser or light bridge in a direction to hit a switch or provide a walkable area.

The present concept of mirror blocks should also become an eneity, to be placed on top of other blocks. It'd permit the addition of a mirror to any block, so they don't look terribly out of place. Mirrors should also be breakable with koopa shells, as well these laser deflectors I suggest, so puzzles can be made where some of these mirrors need to be broken to complete a circuit or make an otherwise-unportalable surface portalable. While I'm at it, maybe fire and use could be separated to accommodate for the idea that mirrors can burn, be blackened, and function as a portalable surface.

If a mirror deflector is burned, the deflector itself should be destroyed by a laser upon contact. Light bridges wouldn't have the power (despite the fact they can burn your face if you rest upon it, as mentioned by GLaDOS.)

Also, the idea to restart a puzzle (piizzle? Was I thinking about pizza?) would be nice for situations where doing the incorrect thing makes you stuck in-game. Restarting shouldn't mean a life lost (even though logically it'd be giving up, what i am suggesting is effectively the same as suspend and resume.) If online, restart should apply to everyone and be put up to a vote -- voting would take place by others restarting, or after ten seconds of voting if a majority doesn't wish to restart, continue level.
Last edited by lovechild on 30 Jul 2013, 23:57, edited 4 times in total.

Qcode

Post » 30 Jul 2013, 23:41

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.

lovechild

Post » 31 Jul 2013, 00:48

I visualized it, and I felt the need for doors to be closed first before plate rotation is important if animation of the lasers and light bridges being redirected isn't a possibility. Black=BG, white=doors, grey=plate, cyan=bridge, red=laser, else=wall.
Did an alternate design. The medium grey where the mirror is acts as an shield or aperture where it can be safely assumed the reflection takes place. The design still tells the player the orientation of the rotation, as do the missing corners that represent the in/out direction of the laser and bridge. This design also goes around overlap if there is a problem with bridges and lasers overlapping as I presented earlier.

MarioFanGamer659

Post » 31 Jul 2013, 08:30

I've got an idea. In this game should be pipes in all directions, not only entering down and right and exit up. There should be exit pipes goes going, left and right and entrance pipes going left and up.

TurretBot

Post » 31 Jul 2013, 13:44

MarioFanGamer659 wrote:I've got an idea. In this game should be pipes in all directions, not only entering down and right and exit up. There should be exit pipes goes going, left and right and entrance pipes going left and up.
It's in SE, I think...

MarioFanGamer659

Post » 31 Jul 2013, 15:02

And what is about Shadow Mario (german name, you knows as Cosmic Clones) like in SM3DL (only one clone per player, not so many Marios like in SMG2).

Edit: I forget a "l" at "url".

Edit: Sorry, I meant "r".
Last edited by MarioFanGamer659 on 31 Jul 2013, 15:12, edited 2 times in total.

Gramanaitor

Post » 31 Jul 2013, 15:03

How about a corrosive gel that can burn through certain tiles but not the player?

TurretBot

Post » 31 Jul 2013, 16:13

Gramanaitor wrote:How about a corrosive gel that can burn through certain tiles but not the player?
Easier to make would probably be a gel that makes blocks breakable.

lovechild

Post » 02 Aug 2013, 19:37

I wish coins were entities, and that the default behavior in the present mari0 for invisible coin blocks were to contain nothing. Would make for interesting bridge-building puzzles in maps where you were never intended to receive anything from such blocks...

Costinteo

Post » 02 Aug 2013, 20:19

It's not such a big deal if the player gets some coins.

lovechild

Post » 02 Aug 2013, 20:54

Costinteo wrote:It's not such a big deal if the player gets some coins.
It is kind of, when the player never received coins several worlds in. I know, Mario game -- Maybe I should be introducing coins into my maps...

Costinteo

Post » 02 Aug 2013, 21:09

I don't like coins being tiles either...
It destroys my background tiles and it doesn't look right in mappacks.

But I don't mind the invisible blocks.

lovechild

Post » 03 Aug 2013, 21:49

Coins as tiles are good for placing behind entities and on other objects. But for instances where coins would destroy a background, coins as entities would be really nice. As an entity, it could stand out in front of enemies, giving the effect of depth when combined in their use.

idiot9.0

Post » 03 Aug 2013, 21:57

I'm pretty positive that the "coin as an entity" suggestion has been asked for many many times already, half the time by SJB. I'm not trying to be a jerk by pointing that out to you or say that you should've done more research before posting that suggestion. Just wanting to throw it out there.

Not sure if it has been confirmed for SE either. Probably not.

lovechild

Post » 03 Aug 2013, 23:25

Then I am sure my suggestion made Justin wet. I didn't know it was asked ten-thousand times already. If it doesn't make it, oh well, but it's not like it'd be hard to do -- Mushrooms and 1-ups are collectables and directly influence gameplay, so taking the coin sprite and recoding it as an entity so it counts as a coin (and adds to your tally) shouldn't be laborious. Then again I never fussed with Lua in my life so I don't know the roadblocks that keep it from happening.

If it cannot add to the coin counter directly, then maybe the visible coin counter could be coded to represent total of tile coins + total of entity coins, with entity coins having their own separate value. So if a player gets 50 coins, it'd really be 40 coins + {total of entity coins}, with a count of ten entity coins; then when the total coin tally (which once counted only tile coins) reaches >99, count one life.

But at this point anything I say is conjecture and heresy if the idea is in direct opposition of an intended development direction. But on the plus side, such a system would be nice for people developing addons to the game; For the purposes of debugging, keeping types of coins collected would be a good idea anyway, so some time around, someone might make a red coin mod that would be tile coins + {total of entity coins} + {Red coins * 5}, but the value of red coins collected would be elsewhere with the multiplier in the coin total. (This also means that for debug purposes, it'd have to be set up so values have a debug=true function, to show up in the table.)

Superjustinbros

Post » 03 Aug 2013, 23:55

Well, by now I'm not expecting coins as an entity, especially with how many times I made said suggestion. It's currently low priority along with many of my other ideas that went nowhere.

Funny thing is, coins were always considered tiles back in the NES days; since making them sprites would consume so much memory. Even with the more advanced SNES, they were still tiles (as in SMW, you can't put coins over foreground objects or else it'll make cutoff).

Automatik

Post » 04 Aug 2013, 09:10

lovechild wrote:Then I am sure my suggestion made Justin wet. I didn't know it was asked ten-thousand times already. If it doesn't make it, oh well, but it's not like it'd be hard to do -- Mushrooms and 1-ups are collectables and directly influence gameplay, so taking the coin sprite and recoding it as an entity so it counts as a coin (and adds to your tally) shouldn't be laborious. Then again I never fussed with Lua in my life so I don't know the roadblocks that keep it from happening.

If it cannot add to the coin counter directly, then maybe the visible coin counter could be coded to represent total of tile coins + total of entity coins, with entity coins having their own separate value. So if a player gets 50 coins, it'd really be 40 coins + {total of entity coins}, with a count of ten entity coins; then when the total coin tally (which once counted only tile coins) reaches >99, count one life.

But at this point anything I say is conjecture and heresy if the idea is in direct opposition of an intended development direction. But on the plus side, such a system would be nice for people developing addons to the game; For the purposes of debugging, keeping types of coins collected would be a good idea anyway, so some time around, someone might make a red coin mod that would be tile coins + {total of entity coins} + {Red coins * 5}, but the value of red coins collected would be elsewhere with the multiplier in the coin total. (This also means that for debug purposes, it'd have to be set up so values have a debug=true function, to show up in the table.)
Don't worry, Coins entities are totally possible, and can add to the coin counter directly. Red coins are also possible. I'm sure Maurice could even integrate it into the custom ennemies system.

Turtle95

Post » 04 Aug 2013, 22:14

What about showing the path of the mirror blocks? For example, you aim at the mirror block, and it draws where the shot will go.

Automatik

Post » 04 Aug 2013, 22:32

^
Also, I think Maurice should permit to put a flag in a level so that when it play, dt = 1/60. That would permit to make unbroken automatic levels(which could be profit from the animation system, Imagine a SMB mappack that play itself).
Though I think Maurice plan to have fixed dt everywhere.

Qwerbey

Post » 07 Aug 2013, 06:07

There should be a sound player thing for the scripted sequences.

lovechild

Post » 07 Aug 2013, 21:39

What do you mean? Love2d already supports sounds, so audio (presumably from GLaDOS) would just be triggered. Now this might sound like a *bad* idea, but I was thinking for any GLaDOS sequence, audio cues can come from the Portal 2 soundboard which I believe has old Portal stuff as well). The reason being that not everyone has the original Portal game installed, but instead everything will be fetched by their repository.

But for the love of God that shouldn't be done ever. It'll be abused all to hell and make maps worse than they already are.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 07 Aug 2013, 22:33

Sound triggers, that's what Qwerts was sayin'.

TurretBot

Post » 07 Aug 2013, 22:39

lovechild wrote:But for the love of God that shouldn't be done ever. It'll be abused all to hell and make maps worse than they already are.
Or, Maurice can just make it really complicated to do so that 'noobs' can't misuse it.

kevansevans

Post » 07 Aug 2013, 23:13

Turret Opera wrote:
lovechild wrote:But for the love of God that shouldn't be done ever. It'll be abused all to hell and make maps worse than they already are.
Or, Maurice can just make it really complicated to do so that 'noobs' can't misuse it.
No, harder interface just makes it easier to produce bad shit. Look at Gmod, it's complicated at first for "noobs", yet bad Gmod movies still get shoved through Youtube's pipeline every day.

Speaking of GMod... This new Mario is practically the Gmod of 2d side scrollers, and this has been mentioned before at the stream. So, regardless of what the scripted sequences were designed for, we're going to get a lot of shit hitting the fan... assuming SE takes off like that. It won't be long after the release until someone takes up on that project.

TurretBot

Post » 09 Aug 2013, 15:09

kevansevans wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:
No, harder interface just makes it easier to produce bad shit. Look at Gmod, it's complicated at first for "noobs", yet bad Gmod movies still get shoved through Youtube's pipeline every day.

Speaking of GMod... This new Mario is practically the Gmod of 2d side scrollers, and this has been mentioned before at the stream. So, regardless of what the scripted sequences were designed for, we're going to get a lot of shit hitting the fan... assuming SE takes off like that. It won't be long after the release until someone takes up on that project.
What Not To Make: Special Edition.

eraykaan

Post » 09 Aug 2013, 23:52

that was kinda mean ;-;

mallo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 17:05

And now, because you didn't understood anything, I'll tell you: A gel that makes floor/walls/whatever fallable through.

Mm, I had another idea, but forgot it. Damn.

Costinteo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 17:11

I think automated portals work for this.

mallo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 17:26

Yeah, they could, if not the fact that they're not GEL you cannot make puzzles like "shoot at specified angle or won't work" puzzles. And if you shoot the portal somewhere else they break.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 17:26

Gel is impossible to portal and it'll just keep falling until it's outside the level, right?

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 17:30

Well actually, that would make for a neat puzzle and platforming level. But only the one.
So yeah, what they said.

mallo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 21:19

It could also be used as traps.

(Man, I sound like an idiot.)

Sky

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 21:32

Better idea: Make a tile that looks exactly the same, with no collision, possibly with the "foreground" property. Functionally equivalent.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 21:57

Not with the one level idea I had. It has no potential, but it's its own idea.

mallo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 22:09

WillWare wrote:Better idea: Make a tile that looks exactly the same, with no collision, possibly with the "foreground" property. Functionally equivalent.
Nope. You can't put it on any wall.

Sky

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 22:34

mallo wrote:
WillWare wrote:Better idea: Make a tile that looks exactly the same, with no collision, possibly with the "foreground" property. Functionally equivalent.
Nope. You can't put it on any wall.
That's because it IS the wall.

mallo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 22:38

Yeah.
And gel is known for that that you can put it anywhere you want. This can also make timed puzzles.
Your idea would make it needed to have floors/walls walkable through since the whole beginning. You can't do the thing I did on my crappy image. (Pressing the button to reach the shroom)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 22:44

So, what about having a new property in tilesets to make them "corrodeable"? This way, tiles without this property wouldn't be corroded by the gel...

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 22:48

Or just use the breakable property.

Sky

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 22:52

If I'm not mistaken, having it as a gel creates the following situation:

The dispenser would dispense the gel towards the floor. The floor would have the gel on it. Now it has no collision, so you can't place a portal on it. On top of that, the gel falls through to the next block, and the next block, and the next block, all the way to the bottom, creating a bottomless pit.

Make another tile type to prevent that? This is getting needlessly complicated.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 23:02

well that can be used for a platforming puzzle

mallo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 23:22

WillWare wrote:If I'm not mistaken, having it as a gel creates the following situation:

The dispenser would dispense the gel towards the floor. The floor would have the gel on it. Now it has no collision, so you can't place a portal on it. On top of that, the gel falls through to the next block, and the next block, and the next block, all the way to the bottom, creating a bottomless pit.

Make another tile type to prevent that? This is getting needlessly complicated.
I meant only for entities like boxes, player and enemies (and mushroom) to fall through.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 23:34

So like ground-pound gel?

mallo

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 23:38

ground-pound gel?

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 23:47

nevermind I have no idea.