Ideas/Things to add to Mari0

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
alesan99

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 23:42

Danny wrote:another idea is to make a cheat folder in the mari0 directory so new cheats can be made without intense modding
I agree that cheats are the best feature of Mari0 and Maurice should stop working on everything else and take many hours to implement a custom cheat system.

But seriously, you can already get the source and mod it so it's not worth spending a lot of time making something just for silly features.

Mari0_Player

Post » 04 Sep 2014, 17:00

A T flip-flop gate in one block, and an option to make wall timers invisible.

Danny

Post » 04 Sep 2014, 22:54

Mari0_Player wrote:A T flip-flop gate in one block, and an option to make wall timers invisible.
actaully, there is a delay input gate that is basically an invisible wall timer

HansAgain

Post » 04 Sep 2014, 23:11

Danny wrote:*actually, there is a delay input gate that is basically an invisible wall timer
No, the delay input delays the input, so if you press a button the thing it means to activate, it will take x seconds to turn on.
Which doesn't happen with the timer, because using this one when pressing a button, the object will turn on inmediatelly, but it will turn off again after x seconds.
Mari0_Player wrote:A T flip-flop gate in one block...
IIRC, there is a flip-flop gate in beta 9.
And i agree with Mari0_player with the timer thing, because timers are not only used in tests.

Qwerbey

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 19:19

How about, in right-click menus, a box that you can enter a number into next to most sliders that sets the value of the slider. That way you can have weird values for things, like a funnel with a speed of 100, without directly editing the level's .txt.

Villager103

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 22:02

Actual physics to cubes and stuff, so they can tumble down stairs and stuff
Just imagine being able to launch a cube with a faithplate and the cube doesn't always stay upright, but rotates in the air.

Automatik

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 22:15

I see what you are thinking of. You want something like Concerned joe? :

The thing is that it would need a huge rewrite of the engine so that everything use box2d. So it's not really feasible, sorry.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 23:14

Fun fact: I once tried to implement it to Mari0, only on boxes and just for fun. It didn't work quite well...
But he's got a point: having cubes to randomly rotate when launched by faith plates (like they do in Minecraft's Portal Gun mod) would look really cool!

Danny

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 00:05

someone should finish chell, her character sprites have been left unfinished for over 2 years at this point

idiot9.0

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 01:28

Funny thing is I finished Chell way back when she was suggested before SE was a thing.
Original post to prove it.
And then you have the OP from the guy who made the Chell sprites initially that could be for no-gun frames here.

Either Maurice never saw them or just didn't care at the time.

Danny

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 02:16

idiot9.0 wrote:Funny thing is I finished Chell way back when she was suggested before SE was a thing.
And then you have the OP from the guy who made the Chell sprites initially that could be for no-gun frames here.

Either Maurice never saw them or just didn't care at the time.

well thanks for the sprites, hopefully maurice sees this thread and puts them in se

here is the se chell
http://www.4shared.com/folder/7MakpV5C/chell.html

my custom chell
http://www.4shared.com/folder/YT6r8Pli/ ... ustom.html

TheSeek

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 18:03

idiot9.0 wrote:Funny thing is I finished Chell way back when she was suggested before SE was a thing.
Even more funny thing is I made the 4 colors sheets, packed up everything into a working character, and added the sprites for the options and main menu/llevel screen, everything is in the same thread you linked, under your post.
idiot9.0 wrote: Either Maurice never saw them or just didn't care at the time.

TurretBot

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 20:10

But even then he'd still need a nogun spritesheet.

Danny

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 20:36

TurretBot wrote:But even then he'd still need a nogun spritesheet.
this is true, and a new biganimations dot sheet
(preferably for this portal gun model
)

TurretBot

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 21:50

Here's an animationsdot for idiot's Chell:

Villager103

Post » 07 Sep 2014, 23:51

TurretBot wrote:Here's an animationsdot for idiot's Chell:
Uhh, Where is it?

Wary

Post » 08 Sep 2014, 13:36

Villager103 wrote:
TurretBot wrote:Here's an animationsdot for idiot's Chell:
Uhh, Where is it?
It's not hard to understand that it's an empty image.

MM102

Post » 08 Sep 2014, 14:13

Not really. There are little white pixels for the dot on the portal gun. It was a kinda stupid joke though.

Villager103

Post » 09 Sep 2014, 20:43

Portal 2 sounds would be cool.

And maybe a sound for when a cube hits the ground and when a door opens or a button is pressed etc.

Turtle95

Post » 09 Sep 2014, 20:50

Villager103 wrote:Portal 2 sounds would be cool.

And maybe a sound for when a cube hits the ground and when a door opens or a button is pressed etc.
It's possible, but the game would just increase in size, regardless of the .ogg format of the sounds. I don't think Maurice wants the game to weigh too much, or Maurice just wants the game to have the necessary sounds (jump, music, portal opening, portal travel-through) and not anything that wouldn't be needed.

HansAgain

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 01:31

Well, i just had some ideas i'd like to see in Mari0 SE:

The first one it the pipe entity, that mixes the regular pipe entity with the warp pipe, so it's easier to use, also i think using IDs would be a cool idea because you could be able to put more than one pipe connection between two sub-levels. (the "in level" part is so the game has less IDs to search to find the correct one (i guess it works like that :P)

The second one is the pipe end (receptor/however you want to call it), with directions, IDs to receive it from a pipe entity, not much to explain here.

The third one is the door entity (it should be in game), so you can use up key to go throught it, same as the pipe entity, ID's (no directions for obvious reasons), "in level" option to prevent to much load (i guess) and since in SMW there is a door that only small Mario can use, i thought about adding that as an option.

Fourth entity is the end door (receptor etc...), this explains by itself after the previous explanations.

Fifth one is the conveyor belt entity, which is pretty much what SJB wanted, you can set the spedd and the direction of it, and link the default direction and state (ON/OFF).

Sixth one is the wind/water flow/presure entity, which can be used as a drain, wind, low gravity zone, which ever you want (if Maurice adds it, of course), it should have its respective Wind end entity which should have an option to stop it horizontaly and/or vertically.

TurretBot

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 03:00

I think Maurice can't really change the way pipes work, since that would change the SMB mappack; The other ideas are pretty good, though.

HansAgain

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 03:09

TurretBot wrote:I think Maurice can't really change the way pipes work, since that would change the SMB mappack; The other ideas are pretty good, though.
Maurice changed moving platforms, platforms spawners and rotating fire sticks, i don't thing he will make too much problem for the pipe entity.

TurretBot

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 03:50

Hans1998 wrote:
TurretBot wrote:I think Maurice can't really change the way pipes work, since that would change the SMB mappack; The other ideas are pretty good, though.
Maurice changed moving platforms, platforms spawners and rotating fire sticks, i don't thing he will make too much problem for the pipe entity.
No, I mean actually changing it; Without the capability to send Mario to levels without pipe exits, some pipes would not work as intended. We'd need a fix for that.
Also, Warp Zones place a number above all pipes with the W icon, regardless of position, we'd need a fix for that as well.
Also, what would happen to Vines? I'm pretty sure they use the Pipe End entity for their exits.

I know these are all (theoretically) really easy fixes you can add to your idea, but ignoring them probably isn't the best idea.

HansAgain

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 04:09

o.O You're right.
Well, i will try to think a way to solve that, so Maurice doesn't have to.

4matsy

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 04:38

TurretBot wrote:
Hans1998 wrote:
No, I mean actually changing it; Without the capability to send Mario to levels without pipe exits, some pipes would not work as intended. We'd need a fix for that.
Just add a 5th direction for pipe warps: instant. (Okay, so it's not a direction. :p)
When used with an entrance, the game would instantly transition to the new level as soon as you touch the warp area; when used with an exit, it'd make you immediately appear on that spot, like it does with placing start points in underground bonus rooms currently.
TurretBot wrote:Also, Warp Zones place a number above all pipes with the W icon, regardless of position, we'd need a fix for that as well.
A "Warp Zone" check box, perhaps?
TurretBot wrote:Also, what would happen to Vines? I'm pretty sure they use the Pipe End entity for their exits.
Hmm. But they don't currently need anything for their entrance, besides marking the higher level as a bonus stage...
I'd just say to use the instant warp exits I mentioned above.

TurretBot

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 06:24

Your first answer made me consider combining the door with pipe entity (I'm indifferent about it), but of course I get your point. To workaround the problem of placing a start point and a exit point on the same spot, it could spawn the player to the left of the entity.

I think 'Instant' was an option in SMBX, too, where it did the same thing, that game also had doors and pipes combined, so maybe I'm onto something or maybe that's just a coincidence.

Another solution for vines: Perhaps have the vine entity specify an exit ID. (Maybe just have a global exit ID entity? Animations could use it too, even.)
Hey Maurice, remember the time you hired me as the idea guy? Still here if you need me.

MM102

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 07:13

I think the flow entity should use a defined region you could select like region triggers
and the conveyor entity should effect tiles in a certain region like the animated tile trigger

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Sep 2014, 20:54

Hans1998 wrote:Well, i just had some ideas i'd like to see in Mari0 SE:
Thank you for using my icons, Hans. :) The idea of reducing all the pipe entrance/exit entities that go in different directions to just one of each works rather well.

HansAgain

Post » 12 Sep 2014, 22:36

You're welcome, SJB, also, i found a good way of making it work without all the glichts Turret mentioned (i guess).
The IDs in the pipes and doors should be optional, so if you don't use IDs in the pipes or doors they work like they do in Mari0 1.6 (and SE beta 9).
A pipe without ID can't be a receptor of a pipe with ID and a pipe with ID can't be the receptor of a pipe without ID, making possible to have the same amount of pipes without ID we had in Mari0 1.6 (and beta 9). I hope it's a good solution.

Superjustinbros

Post » 16 Sep 2014, 09:04

Sounds interesting. Well here's to hope something like it makes it's why into SE.

Also, I'm thinking of tomorrow making some kind of example/mockup for how adding and sorting multiple tilesets in a mappack could work, should a feature like that be implemented through core Mari0 or a mod.

TurretBot

Post » 16 Sep 2014, 13:53

If it's a mod you better have a method for combining them

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 21 Sep 2014, 19:00

Here's something I've wanted since day one... why can't we link animation triggers to stuff like buttons? I'd love to have a dialog box pop up after pressing a button.

Sky

Post » 21 Sep 2014, 20:56

OrbitalBlueprint wrote:Here's something I've wanted since day one... why can't we link animation triggers to stuff like buttons? I'd love to have a dialog box pop up after pressing a button.
This is possible in beta 9. viewtopic.php?p=97097#p97097

Mari0_Player

Post » 23 Sep 2014, 00:23

faithplateplate.png should allow 24x32 graphics for each individual sprite, so if they looked like this then the bottom of the sprite wouldn't show when the faith plate is set to fling all the way to the right.
Last edited by Mari0_Player on 17 Nov 2014, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 23 Sep 2014, 01:26

Well then, it looks like I slacked off a bit when I said I'd do an example for multiple custom tiles. To make up for it I'll go and provide the short description for how they'd be put into an editor, which I gave TurretBot.
You first have a tiles.png which has number ID's that continue on from the SMB and Portal tiles, but then you have such like tiles01.png, and tiles02.png, which start counting ID numbers from scratch but with a letter in front of each number, for example A1, A2, A3 for tiles from tiles1.png and B1, B2, and B3 for tiles from tiles2.png.

To select the custom tileset in the editor's palette, you click on the "Custom" tab, then a drop down menu appears showing a list of all the custom tiles. From here you can also re-name a tileset for easier sorting/indentification.

SauloFX

Post » 16 Nov 2014, 22:44

Make Mari0 be able to handle .nsf files would be cool.

Automatik

Post » 16 Nov 2014, 22:53

The thing is that default love bins don't have .nsf support enabled. Though apparently, there's a way to convert them to mp3/ogg :
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... b1#p159029
Dunno if love.audio support nsf files. As far as I know, NSF is an audio format for NES files.
Good news, using foobar and his plugin foo-gep, and LAME encoder, you can convert NSF files to MP3. And from that, to any format you want (Ogg, wav, etc...).
It seem likevlc can also read nsf files, so you can try to convert them using that.

Qwerbey

Post » 17 Nov 2014, 00:03

That reminds me, I've had a list of suggestions.
  • Let vines grow by input.
  • Fix that you can't climb through platforms on vines.
  • Custom character sounds, like jumping or dying.*
  • To be able to set the speed of coin platforms.
  • For spikes to not have to be solid. That way you can have things like fire or Grimy Water.
  • Have improper levels (worlds -, >8, or <1; levels >4, or <1) be in the level editor selector. It seems to be where you were going with it.
  • Re-add that glitch where you could stomp spinies with boxes.
  • Mappack flag for fast death, where you just respawn instantly.
  • Fade to song animation.
  • Let firebars be turned on and off by inputs.
  • Animation that lets you trigger things for x seconds where 0 means toggle.
  • Flag for the last custom background layer to have scrollfactor 9.
  • Have shells not kill you after you bump them with a brick block.
  • Princess flag for axe entity.
  • A way to avoid changing the hat after a rainboom.
  • A tool to show all links at once.

SauloFX

Post » 17 Nov 2014, 01:59

Automatik wrote:The thing is that default love bins don't have .nsf support enabled. Though apparently, there's a way to convert them to mp3/ogg :
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... b1#p159029
Dunno if love.audio support nsf files. As far as I know, NSF is an audio format for NES files.
Good news, using foobar and his plugin foo-gep, and LAME encoder, you can convert NSF files to MP3. And from that, to any format you want (Ogg, wav, etc...).
It seem likevlc can also read nsf files, so you can try to convert them using that.
I can export my nsf songs to Ogg and Mp3, but having mari0 to support nsf would be nice, sounds would have better quality and filesize would be smaller, but it seems it won't be possible.

Superjustinbros

Post » 17 Nov 2014, 19:55

I wouldn't hold my hands for .nsf support.

SauloFX

Post » 20 Nov 2014, 15:15

A good thing to add too would be a World Map, with custom music option, a tileset for the world only, and stuff like, unlockable trails, secret stages, etc, it would be something great for mappacks.

TurretBot

Post » 20 Nov 2014, 21:14

It'd be neat to have a SMB Deluxe styled world map, at least this is the only form I'd think could have a chance. But even then, not likely. Still would be an awesome mod.

Secret levels/paths shouldn't be too difficult to add by themselves, though. It's pretty much this:
QwertymanO07 wrote:[*]Have improper levels (worlds -, >8, or <1; levels >4, or <1) be in the level editor selector. It seems to be where you were going with it.
And flagpoles that can go to specific levels.

Mari0_Player

Post » 23 Nov 2014, 01:01

QwertymanO07 wrote:
  • Have improper levels (worlds -, >8, or <1; levels >4, or <1) be in the level editor selector. It seems to be where you were going with it.
Related: levels A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, etc.

JohnHOne

Post » 23 Nov 2014, 19:56

QwertymanO07 wrote:
It only fit with World A,B and C,because its in Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels

MagicPillow

Post » 24 Nov 2014, 00:52

By that logic, there shouldn't be worlds 10 and above.
It would be silly to add in lettered worlds, but only be able to use a few.
Last edited by MagicPillow on 24 Nov 2014, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

TurretBot

Post » 24 Nov 2014, 00:57

SMB: LL had a world 9.

Squidish

Post » 24 Nov 2014, 16:45

What if cheats could be activated for certain levels even to those who haven't unlocked them? I doubt anyone hasn't unlocked them because of how to unlock cheats videos on youtube, though.

JohnHOne

Post » 28 Nov 2014, 17:16

my idea is add a toad shop and aperture shop
the currency is coins,you get by collecting coins(1 coin),red coins(5 coins),mushroom(8 coins),a fire flower(10 coins) and a 1-up mushroom give you a diamond,where you use at apeture shop,but you can convert diamonds into 100 coins

At toad shop,you can purchase:
Mushroom (20 coins)
--Transform into Super Mario
Fire Flower(20 coins)
--Transform into Fire Mario
DLC Mappacks (50 coins each mappack)
--unlock one dlc mappack
1-Up Mushroom(100 coins)
--you get a 1-up
5-up moon(500 coins)
-- you get a 5-up
a 10-up valley(1000 coins)
-- Unlock the 10-up Valley,where you can get a 1-up every time you finish a random mappack,a 5-up in a dlc mappack and portal mappack,and 10-up in finishing the SMB Mappack
Aperture Shop Key (2000 coins)
--Unlock the Aperture Shop,where you can convert diamonds into coins and buy portal gun upgrades
A Cat Valley(3000 coins)
-- Unlock the cat valley,where you get coins by playing with kittens,giving food and water,and stomping at raiding theft goombas
Goomba Factory(3000 coins)
-- unlock game station,you may find this game,you stomp at goombas in a awesome factory,each goomba,you get coins
NOT Pacman 2(3000 coins)
-- unlock game station,you may find this game,You can play not pacman!!,with multiplayer and each pellet eaten you get 1 coin,and 5 coins when you eat a ghost
NOT Cookie Clicker(3000 coins)
--unlock game station,you may find this game,you can play cookie clicker!except that you press right click instead of left click,and earn 1 coin each click,you can purchase upgrades,the upgrades actually give coins.
Mari0 Bros.(5000 coins)
unlock game station,you may find this game,The Original Mario Bros with a portal gun,and a CPU Luigi.
You can purchase at aperture shop:
"100 coins"
1 diamond
--you can convert one diamond into 100 coins
"500 coins"
5 diamonds
--you can convert 5 diamonds into 500 coins
Coin Factory
10 diamonds
you get a factory where you can put a amount of diamond into 100 coins in each diamond
Fast Portal Gun
500 diamonds
-- wow,you can shot very fast
strong portal gun
1000 diamonds
-- You can smash enemies by using a single cube
Cheat Controls
1000 diamonds or a secret code
-- CHEATER,Why you purchase that?!

Mari0_Player

Post » 28 Nov 2014, 18:47

This game is about Mario having a portal gun not playing with kittens/Cookie Clicker.