Ideas/Things to add to Mari0

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
TurretBot

Post » 29 Mar 2014, 21:07

HEY THERE WAS NOTHING GOING ON BEFORE STARTING FRESH NOW

What about adding the "Take Turns" multiplayer style from the original game?

HugoBDesigner

Post » 29 Mar 2014, 21:09

Yeah, I give up too. I still think achievements would be good, but Maurice said the last word. It's okay.

[Required topic change]
What about making boxes have more than 1 custom textures? We could have old aperture, normal boxes, companion cubes, dirty, etc. This one is easy to add, at least, and it's less "unlikable" than achievements :)
[/Required topic change]

Automatik

Post » 29 Mar 2014, 21:16

Maybe boxes could have multiple spritesets(like goombas and brick debris does). It's an easy way to implement this.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 29 Mar 2014, 21:24

This could work, but what if we want more than one texture per level? It could be like what I did in the beginning of my mod: players could set an ID for it, and it'd load the relative texture (like ID 1 would be "box.png", and others would be "box[n].png").

TurretBot

Post » 29 Mar 2014, 21:27

if you want more than 1 per level then split your llevel into multiple parts

imo boxes should be enemies anyways

HugoBDesigner

Post » 29 Mar 2014, 21:29

Having them as enemies would already let them have multiple textures (making an enemy with "box" as base, but a different texture). Yes, it could work, Turret!

HAPPYFACES

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 00:36

Specific goal entity.
So that a creator has a range of possibilities to lead to the end of a level. So instead of "solve a puzzle, get to end flag trigger" you have, "solve puzzle, get key, fish for missing lock in sea of enemies, apply lock to a chosen door among three, unlock door, solve puzzle, beat miniboss, collect artifact. etc. -- get to end flag trigger"

Just to be clear it's one entity with outputs and inputs that can connect to anything the author wants, and once activated will disable the flag trigger until all goals are complete.

TurretBot

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 01:08

1. make animated tile
first frame solid
second frame not solid
triggered
graphic is a flag pole

2. use the tile as the flag pole
self explanatory

3. have animated tile trigger
region is the whole flag pole
link it to an and gate

4. link the and gate to the trigger for all those things
if you need more than four
link the fourth one to another and gate instead

5. should work like you said if I understood correctly
you can't get the flag without beating the requirements because the pole is solid

MissingWorld

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 01:16

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think warpzone pipes aren't able to function on sideways pipes. Personally I think they should.

SauloFX

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 01:24

We should be able to enter in pipes by the right(or left) side too.

MagicPillow

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 01:47

SauloFX wrote:We should be able to enter in pipes by the left side too.
Umm... You already can.
Also,
Camewel wrote:
MagicPillow wrote:It COULD be very useful if used correctly.
I would like one example of such usage.
You could make, say, a map of the level for large levels so that the player doesn't get lost.

Camewel

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 02:34

A map that would:
a) have to be quite big to be of any use
b) be permanently visible (and take up a lot of screenspace thanks to (a)
c) not show the player where they currently are, so be of little actual use

HAPPYFACES

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 08:40

TurretBot wrote:*stuff I don't care about because I'm not going to be making any content for SE*
Just saying things that come to mind. I'm only here for suggestions and learning from the example of others. Good mini-tutorial for people who might wanna do this in the future though.

Áçé Syntax Áçé

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 16:05

(New topic)
I think Maurice should add this.
To be honest, I really liked the map chart in Beta8 and didn't in Beta9 so I did this!
All you have to do is simple, you will just right click what level you wanted to see it's preview (I right-clicked World 1-4) then it's preview will came out in the screen!
Note: To hide it's preview, click the hide preview button (it will replace "show preview" button if you show it's preview in the screen)

MagicPillow

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 16:10

Camewel wrote:A map that would:
What about in a map where you must complete certain tasks to win. There could be a list of the tasks.
What do you have against this idea?

Camewel

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 16:15

MagicPillow wrote:
Camewel wrote:A map that would:
What about in a map where you must complete certain tasks to win. There could be a list of the tasks.
What do you have against this idea?
again it would be a static task list (and why not just have 4 checkboxes at the exit and you can PUZZLE how to turn them on) so it's still not much use
it sounds like you're just making up awful uses of a useless feature
if you want to make a good suggestion, think of a cool thing you can't currently do and what would need to be added for that idea, then suggest that

SauloFX

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 16:17

Áçé Syntax Áçé wrote:(New topic)
To be honest, I really liked the map chart in Beta8 and didn't in Beta9 so I did this!
All you have to do is simple, you will just right click what level you wanted to see it's preview (I right-clicked World 1-4) then it's preview will came out in the screen!
Note: To hide it's preview, click the hide preview button (it will replace "show preview" button if you show it's preview in the screen)

I noticed another thing,ACHIVEMENTS TAB? now i noticed that this is a mod

But nice idea man

Áçé Syntax Áçé

Post » 30 Mar 2014, 16:18

SauloFX wrote:
Áçé Syntax Áçé wrote:(New topic)

I noticed another thing,ACHIVEMENTS TAB? now i noticed that this is a mod

But nice idea man
Not really I think I'm just good at editing pictures :)

HansAgain

Post » 03 Apr 2014, 23:22

Is there something like "resiststomp"? I want to make an enemy that can't be killed by stomping him.
Also an option to make the enemy use certain frames when he turns around.

alesan99

Post » 03 Apr 2014, 23:38

Hans1998 wrote:Is there something like "resiststomp"? I want to make an enemy that can't be killed by stomping him.
You see, all you have to do is change "true" to "false"

Code: Select all

"stompable": false

MagicPillow

Post » 05 Apr 2014, 20:26

I think that instead of slider-things there should be a place to type a number.
When editing a level, say you're making a excursion funnel, you can't get the precise number you want.
Editing any level file in SE will corrupt it, so you can't get the number that way, either.

Sky

Post » 05 Apr 2014, 21:02

MagicPillow wrote:Editing any level file in SE will corrupt it, so you can't get the number that way, either.
I have never had this problem.

MagicPillow

Post » 05 Apr 2014, 23:16

Opening up a txt file and saving doesn't corrupt it for you?

Sky

Post » 05 Apr 2014, 23:29

MagicPillow wrote:Opening up a txt file and saving doesn't corrupt it for you?
Not at all. Just tried it, in fact.

alesan99

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 02:30

I just came up with something.
Right click menu for springs that allows us to define how high you bounce on the spring!
and maybe it could show where it'd send you like faith plates do.

SauloFX

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 04:20

alesan99 wrote:I just came up with something.
Right click menu for springs that allows us to define how high you bounce on the spring!
It's a Nice idea,but i see just one mistake,actually,you can choose where you will fall after jumping in a spring,by holding left or right,or don't press anything and you will keep bouncing,but faith plates send you in the place where you defined,you may change the route a little bit,but the faith plate still will send you to the spot where you defined.

alesan99

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 04:22

It will just show how HIGH you will bounce.

SauloFX

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 04:25

alesan99 wrote:I just came up with something.
You actually said to them have the same function of preview as faith plates,you didn't said how high.
Let's not discuss ;)

alesan99

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 04:33

But still, I said
alesan99 wrote:how high you bounce on the spring!
and by "like" i meant similar.

SauloFX

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 04:35

Ok then.

I think Maurice should add teleporters,make some puzzle stuff with teleporters would be good,and make them trigerred too.

MM102

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 04:40

Already possible with the animation system

SauloFX

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 04:45

My bad,i don't use animations too much

Áçé Syntax Áçé

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 11:23

TurretBot wrote: What about adding the "Take Turns" multiplayer style from the original game?
I like this idea but it needs some small details!
Tadaaaaaaa! Like it!

Well I'll explain how does it goes

~When you select 2, 3 or 4 player (I select 4), a pop-up will appear in order to choose a world
~Then after you've select a world, there will be a another table that will pop-up at the bottom of the first table and that's the "select mode" table
~There are 3 modes each are....
Default = the regular mode of playing local multiplayer
Take Turns = the 2 player style of the original game Super Mario Bros. and........
Split Screen = each player will have a own screen in the monitor (like if your playing 4 player then your screen will cut into 4 pieces with a player in each square)

So do you like it or not?

Note: That's why I add Split Screen because when I played local multiplayer, I can't see wants going on on "his" location when I go farther than him

MagicPillow

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 15:26

I think the "select world" thing should be able to scroll if the mappack has more than 8 worlds.

MM102

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 17:58

The select mode function should be in the options menu or should be defined in the maps settings, not everytime you load up a map.

MagicPillow

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 18:12

MM102 wrote:The select mode function should be in the options menu or should be defined in the maps settings, not everytime you load up a map.
What? I mean that we should (if we can't already) be able to add more than 8 worlds,
if it has more than 8 worlds, you couldn't select them,
So if the map has over 8 worlds, the world select should be able to scroll left and right.

Áçé Syntax Áçé

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 18:28

MagicPillow wrote:
MM102 wrote:The select mode function should be in the options menu or should be defined in the maps settings, not everytime you load up a map.
What? I mean that we should (if we can't already) be able to add more than 8 worlds,
if it has more than 8 worlds, you couldn't select them,
So if the map has over 8 worlds, the world select should be able to scroll left and right.
I think his talking about my idea

TurretBot

Post » 06 Apr 2014, 19:19

Maybe a cheat?

Smear-Gel

Post » 07 Apr 2014, 17:06

People need to truly think about resourceful ways of using the features we already have to achieve the same goals as something they want to suggest. The whole Achievements thing seemed pointless (besides achievements being pointless on their own I mean) with the whole text animation thing already existing, for example.

One thing I'd like to second is a separate slider for vertical scrolling and horizontal scrolling, because that sounds incredibly useful.

I cant think of anything else I'd want outside of slopes and I know those will likely never be implemented.

SauloFX

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 01:19

Make enemies that can walk/climb walls,without gel.

Áçé Syntax Áçé

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 05:10

renhoek wrote:
Smear-Gel wrote:People need to truly think about resourceful ways of using the features we already have to achieve the same goals as something they want to suggest. The whole Achievements thing seemed pointless (besides achievements being pointless on their own I mean) with the whole text animation thing already existing.
Okay I'm going to make a quick list on why I think achievements are a good idea.

1. They can easily be modified in the map file so you can easily cheat.
Again, what's the point of unlock them on the map file if you get nothing for it? No cheats unlocked, no prize, nothing?

2. What's the point, Achievements work on steam and consoles because it's an online connectivity thing where you can show all your friends that you beat super hard mod in meat bot in less than 5 minutes.
Achievements, for me, where always a good excuse to play a game again. For example, in Portal 2 I unlocked achievements just for the fun of it, not to show to others...

3. there'd have to be a locking mechanism for the achievements which is probably more trouble than it's worth.
You mean so you can't get achievements twice? Piece of cake! I made it already in my mod, why couldn't Maurice? As I said, just make it so the game saves the unlocked achievements on the mappack folder (or in options.txt, I don't know). It's not hard AT ALL...

4. people can easily go into the level editor and create whatever requirements the achievements need.
Again (again), what's the point of unlock them on editor if you get nothing for it? No cheats unlocked, no prize, nothing? They're there just for the fun of it...

5. Achievements would not add anything to the map.
Would be a good thing to players to replay your mappack. In my Blue Portals mappack there are a few achievements I added and, when I finish the mappack, they will unlock a whole new world (or worlds) of new tests. They add fun for it, to make you try something different in a mappack. For example, in a puzzle mappack, you just solve the tests and keep going. With achievements, you'd have to do more than this: you'd have to do crazy, funny, unexpected things for the fun of getting them.

6. Most of the achievements will most likely be appear again in another map.
If the mappack author is creative enough, no, it won't...

7. They'd most likely be "kill this amount of x" instead of real milestones.
Again, that depends on what mappack authors decided to do. If they're creative enough and work better on their mappacks, they can make achievements to make the mappack have a whole new experience.

and the biggest reason.

8. Maurice said no, stop being entitled brats.
Maurice said he'd never release betas for Mari0 SE. This proves he can change his mind...

Seriously I have not seen one good reason outside of "they's coolz"
What about "They're fun"? There's no point of having, for example, mappacks. You don't get anything for playing them, other than simply and only the FUN of playing it. Achievements, as I said, would just do it as well. They'd be as useful as having a mappack: depending on what the author does, it can be a piece of shit, but can be one of the best things from this community...

One last thing: I'm not saying players are OBLIGATED to beat achievements, or mappack makers to HAVE to add them. The fun of the achievements is that they are just a fun, optional feature...
EDIT:
Smear-Gel wrote:
SauloFX wrote:Make enemies that can walk/climb walls,without gel.
People need to truly think about resourceful ways of using the features we already have to achieve the same goals as something they want to suggest.
Last edited by Áçé Syntax Áçé on 08 Apr 2014, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

MM102

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 05:30

Some things,
  • an enemy parameter that allows randomized transforming it would work like "spawnsrandom" but with transforming
  • fine tuned percent rates for randomized enemy spawning/transforming
  • the ability to walk around outside corners with the purple gel

renhoek

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 08:58

Áçé Syntax Áçé wrote:*Winging about achievments*
Achievements aren't getting in, that post is almost two weeks old.
Get over it. (and I'd like to see that post where he said no betas)

Smear-Gel

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 13:54

Áçé Syntax Áçé wrote:*Great Wall-of-Text of China*
Ok.
MM102 wrote: the ability to walk around outside corners with the purple gel

You mean like, going from a vertical to horizontal plane with the gel? That wouldn't only apply to outside corners, but it still sound neat. We'd be able to do Mario Galaxy like stages. I'm gonna check if it's already possible.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 13:58

renhoek wrote:
http://blog.stabyourself.net/post/24886 ... ri0-se-faq

But yeah, I don't see the point of bringing this topic again (without even adding something to the discussion). I mean, this got nowhere and I already dropped the idea. As someone said, we can pretty much add achievements with the animation system, so it's a bit useless...

But I'd still like to see the backgrounds custom scrolls. I know that people can come up with cool things with them, like in some post of mine here... Oh, and another one too...

renhoek

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 14:46

HugoBDesigner wrote:
renhoek wrote:
http://blog.stabyourself.net/post/24886 ... ri0-se-faq
Now I want you to look at that date.
are you sure that Maurice planned to keep developing into 2014 and do you think he released a beta now because someone asked him to?
(not to mention a beta no where close to being like an achievement.)
okay there I'm done.

So that this post isn't completely stupid I have a suggestion for enemy programming.
If the enemy collision can't be modified because it was to early in development and it would be hell to fix.
Would it be possible to create an alternate collision system for the enemies that could be activated with something like
"enemyphysics": true,
Or am I being stupid here because I'm not used to love programming.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 16:17

renhoek wrote:So that this post isn't completely stupid I have a suggestion for enemy programming.
If the enemy collision can't be modified because it was to early in development and it would be hell to fix.
Would it be possible to create an alternate collision system for the enemies that could be activated with something like
What do you mean by that? Are you talking about collision with other enemies and everything? Because I think we can pretty much do it with "mask". Or I just didn't get your point, perhaps.

Also, a little question about the same topic: can we decide which custom enemies collide with some other custom enemy or is it set by default? I mean, can we set a mask value for an enemy, like:
"category": n

And, also, while making the mask, can we have "shortcuts" for it, so instead of "mask": [true, false, false, false,... ..., false, true] we can just make something like "mask[n]": true ?

renhoek

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 16:26

HugoBDesigner wrote:
renhoek wrote:So that this post isn't completely stupid I have a suggestion for enemy programming.
What do you mean by that? Are you talking about collision with other enemies and everything? Because I think we can pretty much do it with "mask". Or I just didn't get your point, perhaps.
Something like being able to ride an enemy for example. (not repeatedly falling when it moves up or down. or just following it left or right.)

Smear-Gel

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 17:01

HugoBDesigner wrote: But I'd still like to see the backgrounds custom scrolls. I know that people can come up with cool things with them, like in some post of mine here... Oh, and another one too...
The first one looks pretty ridiculous. I do like the value of having the sun stay static though as I have run into that problem myself. But I just fixed it by sliding the slider close to the end so that the back layer (with the sun) moved as little as possible. Worked fine.
renhoek wrote: Something like being able to ride an enemy for example. (not repeatedly falling when it moves up or down. or just following it left or right.)
You mean we cant already do that? Oh crud I was planning on trying that really soon.

MagicPillow

Post » 08 Apr 2014, 23:41

You know what would be very useful?
Gravity spaces.
Changes gravity to a certain direction when inside the space.
This would be a good tile property.