Port swimming controls from SMW and DKC

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Franpa

Post » 11 Dec 2014, 15:55

I don't know if this program is still in development or if multiplayer has been cancelled or not (I'd hope it wasn't cancelled but the program should still be awesome as a single player product with a good level editor). Edit: Ah, so it has indeed been cancelled, sad but understandable.

If you could include the swimming controls from Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country that'd be awesome, I mean the ability to swim up more rapidly by holding Up while pressing the swim button and swim up more slowly by holding Down while pressing the swim button.

Squidish

Post » 11 Dec 2014, 16:27

The online multiplayer was cancelled, but no, the program is definetley still in development. Maurice and Saso are working on SE, and it's been a while since an update, but it's not dead. There is a mod with the frog mario powerup, and he swims like that. Maybe you could copy the code, and apply it to the function of an underwater area.

Franpa

Post » 11 Dec 2014, 22:44

Frog Mario is not at all even remotely the same thing. Try it out in the games I've mentioned: Hold Up while swimming and see how fast you ascend, now try it while holding Down and see how fast you ascend, now try it without holding up or down. I can understand it being a bit difficult to fathom the mechanic as Nintendo strangely excludes it from most Mario games.

Squidish

Post » 11 Dec 2014, 23:11

What does this have to do with Mario then? This is Mario, not Donkey Kong Country. It only happened in one game, besides, it can't be done.
Last edited by Squidish on 11 Dec 2014, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

MM102

Post » 11 Dec 2014, 23:22

PrincessKiller wrote:the program is definetley still in development.
Not exactly. The project is back in hiatus, which means its not currently in development, but that doesn't mean the project is canned.

Franpa

Post » 16 Dec 2014, 01:28

PrincessKiller wrote:What does this have to do with Mario then? This is Mario, not Donkey Kong Country. It only happened in one game, besides, it can't be done.
I mentioned the Donkey Kong Country games in addition to Super Mario World to convey that GOOD games had it, and it much improved the gameplay in water levels. You could actually be genuinely cautious during vertical segments without a whole bunch of finicky timing of the Jump button for example.

Timing your Jumping so you only barely overcome the downwards momentum caused by gravity to ensure you move upwards at a slow pace, is a pain. I'd rather be able to hold Down and mash Jump to accelerate upwards at a slow pace with complete disregard for timing of my button presses and still be cautious, or hold Up and mash Jump so I can quickly escape something.

It adds some imho much needed gameplay mechanics to swimming without becoming stupidly complicated like the Donkey Kong Country Returns games with it's 360 degree swimming crap.

MM102

Post » 16 Dec 2014, 01:38

I don't think they would want to really deviate from the controls/physics too too much than they already have.