Online Multiplayer? PLEASE! :o

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
MickeyDorfling

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:03

Hey Er'body :)

So I only recently discovered the awesomeness that is Mari0. Within the first 5 minutes it became my new all-time favorite game.

I noticed that Maurice was working on online multiplaying in 2011 already? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCze9JV9j7Q) What's the hold up? Is there any way one can use an online multiplayer feature that I may have missed? Is this still going to happen or have you decided to scrap it? PLEASE MAKE THIS A REALITY!

Let me know if you guys have any info to share with me on this. Maurice if you could let us know your plans (if its still happening and perhaps a release date) that'd be great. Thanks for all your hard work with this game though! It is absolutely amazing :)

Flutter Skye

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:06

Online Multiplayer has been cancelled, an user called Qcode, created a mod which allows online multiplayer though, you can find it here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4440

MickeyDorfling

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:10

Flutter Skye wrote:Online Multiplayer has been cancelled, an user called Qcode, created a mod which allows online multiplayer though, you can find it here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4440
Thank you so much! That means a lot will definitely try it out :) Just out of curiosity though, do you know why Maurice decided to cancel its development?

Automatik

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:12

This post should tell you everything : viewtopic.php?p=109913#p109913
Sašo wrote:Hopefully Maurice won't hate me for writing in his name and mentioning stuff that has been strictly internal so far.

Itemized list of things to know:
  • Maurice is currently finishing his driving school of witchcraft (or something like that) and has been working full time for a while.
  • I still have to finish (and by finish I mean start) my diploma work and I have been working full time for even longer (our situations are a bit different).
  • Like we said a quadrillion times, Stabyourself.net is a hobby and we work on it when we feel like it, even if that ends up meaning some sense of guilt for lack of updates for our crybaby community.
  • Just kidding, you guys are all right. Not everyone but you know what I mean.

• Mari0 online multiplayer is basically cancelled. It was first developed as a rough test only, but an acquaintance of ours offered to work on the MP. He didn't get anything done because he started working on a commercial game (Stanley parable) and basically forgot about Mari0 as time went by.
  • Maurice is the kind of guy who get a lot done in a short time, when he feels like it. However, Mari0 grew so much since the beginning that he doesn't feel like he even made it (even though we both know that's bullshit), so his motivation to work on it is lower. It's similar though not as bad with other games.
  • For the above reason, Mari0 SE is on hiatus until maybe it suddenly isn't anymore (thought it is, if I recall correctly, mostly done).
  • We both want to make a new game and currently the plan is to make something completely new (as in, not based on SMB, or Legend of Halo or an Avatar game) - but we won't start until we get struck by a smooth idea for the gameplay.
  • If that's any comfort, Mari0 SE may be stuck right now, but at least nobody wasted $567665 on it.
Also, QCode's mod is in alpha. It might not work, break your computer, set your house on fire, etc.

MickeyDorfling

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:16

Ah thanks for that! Been searching everywhere for some sort of post like this but these are so old it's no wonder I couldn't find them. Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean for something to be "in alpha" (I'm not very tech-savvy at all)

Sergione

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:20

"Alpha" means "not yet ready, full of bugs ... etc."

Anyway welcome to the forums! :)

MickeyDorfling

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:54

Sergione wrote:"Alpha" means "not yet ready, full of bugs ... etc."

Anyway welcome to the forums! :)
Thanks! :) I actually have played a bit of your mappack mentality - nice work!

Sergione

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 14:59

Thanks, there is that! If you have Mari0 SE you could also try The Mario Game! :D

MickeyDorfling

Post » 06 Sep 2014, 15:01

Will do! :)

Weetile

Post » 14 Dec 2014, 12:38

What does SE mean?

TurretBot

Post » 14 Dec 2014, 16:03

Mari0: Suddenly Equestria
Mari0: Silly Equations
Mari0: Seriously Edited
Mari0: Sung Eternally
Mari0: Secret Enterprise
Mari0: Social Exception
Mari0: Super Extended
Mari0: Stalling Everyday

Squidish

Post » 14 Dec 2014, 16:19

Yeah, TurretBot, I don't think we're allowed to use text that size, though. But also, Welcome to the forums, Mickey! Or whatever you're called...