Copyright?

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Mont314

Post » 09 May 2014, 04:29

I tried to post a let's play on youtube, but it said that I may had broken a copyright rule for the "Super Mario Bros-Super Mario Bros_02" music (aka underground music). Is this considered breaking a copyright rule?
Edit: Should I post the youtube video here?

Jackostar10000

Post » 09 May 2014, 09:54

Youtube picks up on audio that may be copyrighted. Its picked up your game audio in the background and linked it to the theme owned by nintendo. maybe turn the background noise down. The only reason why we get away with it is because mari0 is a parody. Correct? Honestly its up in the air if you get the strike or not. youtube has been getting butt f**ked by google since they starting managing it.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 09 May 2014, 10:02

I have no idea about the legal status of Mari0. I don't think parody applies, but Nintendo doesn't ask, I don't tell.
There's nothing I can do about your video being flagged, but usually youtube just flags it and is fine with keeping it online, albeit without monetization.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 09 May 2014, 16:01

Valve can't copyright the idea of a gun that shoots portals, just the way it was used and stuff, which is how Gateways was able to be posted on steam.
If someone here makes a graphical and map remake that is a different game, story, graphic and map-wise, it would be okay copyright-wise. If we remove all assets from either game, then we could even post it on steam.

But if we have the stuff that is supposed to be Hard Light Bridges and goombas, nintendo could just say "Take down everything Mari0, this instant!" and we wouldn't be able to keep it, unless we did the remake of it with different textures and maps.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 09 May 2014, 16:50

Mont314 wrote:I tried to post a let's play on youtube, but it said that I may had broken a copyright rule for the "Super Mario Bros-Super Mario Bros_02" music (aka underground music). Is this considered breaking a copyright rule?
Edit: Should I post the youtube video here?
From what I've seen, most Super Mario Bros music claims on youtube are by third parties that have nothing to do with nintendo, making claims on "remixes". I think that happened to one video on Maurice's account even.

As for let'splays being legal or not, you'll probably need an expert for that. It's a grey area which is usually equaled with reviews but not everyone agrees.

gemwrecker

Post » 10 May 2014, 19:33

If you acknowlegde the video, the copyright infringement will disappear (And your video will be untouched). Denying, though, can give you a chance of you running in a Copyright strike.

More complex: If you acknowledge the video, the infringement will disappear, the video will stay and you won't run into a Copyright strike. However, if you have any sort of moneytizing on the video, it will be disabled for that specific video (Ads will also disappear, though). However, if you are denying the copyright infringement, you have a chance of ending up your video taken down, and recieveing a Copyright strike (And trust me, it's extremely likely). If you're running in to a Copyright strike, all moneytizing will dissapear from your account, and you won't be able to deny copyright infringements anymore (With other words, YouTube will take down the video immideadly when noticed).
So take my words: You're better off acknowledging the video than denying it. Even though the moneytizing will disappear from that particular video.

SseanNRocks14

Post » 12 May 2014, 02:14

gemwrecker wrote:If you acknowlegde the video, [...]
What do you mean? Acknowledge Nintendo, or the music playing in our video? If so, then acknowledge in the description? Sorry, I'm just a little confused with the wording.

gemwrecker

Post » 12 May 2014, 16:43

SseanNRocks14 wrote:
gemwrecker wrote:If you acknowlegde the video, [...]
What do you mean? Acknowledge Nintendo, or the music playing in our video? If so, then acknowledge in the description? Sorry, I'm just a little confused with the wording.
If you press your icon in the upper-right, there should be an option that's saying: Video Management. Click on that.
If you've got a copyright infringement, it would've said "Matched third-party..." below the Edit button on the video. If you press that, you'll be able to acknowledge the video from there.