Android Developer Here

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
kripkush

Post » 15 Apr 2014, 19:37

Hi, A while ago I asked the developer if he could do an android version. To this he replied that he couldn't possibly think of a comfortable way to play. I beg to differ, so today as I begin my portfolio of software for my career, I am wondering if I can take the open source code and port it to android.
Who do I go to?
are there any licenses or IP(intellectual property) that I need to be aware of?

Firaga

Post » 15 Apr 2014, 20:04

menu.lua wrote: STEAL MY SHIT AND I'LL FUCK YOU UP
PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING BY MAURICE GUÉGAN AND IF SOMETHING ISN'T BY ME THEN IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS OR NOBODY CARES

THIS AWESOME PIECE OF CELESTIAL AMBROSIA IS RELEASED AS NON-COMMERCIAL, SHARE ALIKE, WHATEVER. YOU MAY PRINT OUT THIS CODES AND USE IT AS WALLPAPER IN YOUR BATHROOM.
FOR SPECIFIC LICENSE (I know you linux users get a hard on when it comes to licenses) SEE http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
NOW GO AWAY (or stay and modify shit. I don't care as long as you stick to the above license.)

B-Man99

Post » 15 Apr 2014, 20:16

Firaga wrote:
menu.lua wrote:YOU MAY PRINT OUT THIS CODES AND USE IT AS WALLPAPER IN YOUR BATHROOM.
I actually did this once

kripkush

Post » 15 Apr 2014, 21:58

that doesn't exactly answer my question regarding the licenses and IP. Technically, Nintendo's patent is over on this game, however, do they still have rights to this game? and if so would I be in trouble for porting this to android and putting it on the market (as free of course, no ads, as i do not intend to profit from this and simply want to add it to my portfolio for work experience.) ?
That says I may rewrite the code and publish it (as long as proper credits have been given), and said nothing of embelishing and rewriting it.
I along with my fellow people intend to upgrade the graphics; tiles and sprites might be completely re-done, however I still intend to give proper credit to stabyourself and their team and also if possible work with them.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 15 Apr 2014, 23:12

Next release is planned to be licensed under WTFPL. We only kindly ask you not to use the same name and not to imply in any way that we are the developer of that version.

Assuming you somehow manage to cram all the controls on the screen and still keep it playable.

kripkush

Post » 16 Apr 2014, 00:18

Sašo wrote: Assuming you somehow manage to cram all the controls on the screen and still keep it playable.
Thank you, I appreciate your quick response, the controls on screen are an ongoing issue that my designer team is working on as we speak (I have given them the green light to begin as of 6:15 PM PST -4 )
There is currently no ETA for those wondering when this creation will come to life.
however if this does take off I plan to make working homebrews of the game for ps3/4 and xbox. that is IF all goes well

I LÖVE LUA

Post » 16 Apr 2014, 16:03

Making the port to android should be easy:
LÖVE 2D's game distribution page wrote:There is an experimental project to run .love games natively on Android phones, see subforum

kripkush

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 04:07

I LÖVE LUA wrote:Making the port to android should be easy:
LÖVE 2D's game distribution page wrote:There is an experimental project to run .love games natively on Android phones, see subforum
we are probably scrapping the engine, we will most likely use unity as LÖVE does not support 3d graphics, we are just using the source code as concept.
we are also thinking of investing in unreal perhaps we will use that

B-Man99

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 04:27

kripkush wrote:3d graphics
What in the hell...?
Are we still talking about Mari0 here or no I'm definitely lost

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 09:55

kripkush wrote:
we are probably scrapping the engine, we will most likely use unity as LÖVE does not support 3d graphics, we are just using the source code as concept.
we are also thinking of investing in unreal perhaps we will use that
...Unreal engine for a Mari0 port? That's the second or third most ludicrous thing I've heard.

Also, regarding using Unity, you should probably read Jay Pavlina's experience with it. Don't get too reliant on an engine before testing what you need.

EDIT: Also, in my original reply, I forgot to mention the obvious IP holders: Nintendo, Valve (some sounds) and Mojang (some sprites). Hopefully you don't have plans for anything commercial with those.

Automatik

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 12:46

Wait what, 3d graphics? Why do you need 3d graphics for an SMB-like? Are you trying to create an android version of mari0 which use an entirely different IP or something?

kripkush

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 22:48

...Unreal engine for a Mari0 port? That's the second or third most ludicrous thing I've heard.

Also, regarding using Unity, you should probably read Jay Pavlina's experience with it. Don't get too reliant on an engine before testing what you need.

EDIT: Also, in my original reply, I forgot to mention the obvious IP holders: Nintendo, Valve (some sounds) and Mojang (some sprites). Hopefully you don't have plans for anything commercial with those.
it will be a great start for my team on a new engine, besides, lucrative can be good in this industry if you don't mind my saying. Unreal is cheaper than what I pay for with Unity and is a lot more complex.
As for monetization comment, we are staying away from that for this game because if we were to sell I'm sure You and Nintendo wouldn't be too happy.
Automatik wrote:Wait what, 3d graphics? Why do you need 3d graphics for an SMB-like? Are you trying to create an android version of mari0 which use an entirely different IP or something?
we are trying to appeal to a broader audience. Some kids don't like the old school graphics

MissingWorld

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 23:21

kripkush wrote:
Automatik wrote:Wait what, 3d graphics? Why do you need 3d graphics for an SMB-like? Are you trying to create an android version of mari0 which use an entirely different IP or something?
we are trying to appeal to a broader audience. Some kids don't like the old school graphics
I'm sorry, but that has to be the dumbest reason to use 3d graphics, which will probably look more dated than the 8-bit stuff.

alesan99

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 23:27

I'm guessing this isn't actually a port, but a game with the same concept (platforming with portals)

Starsly

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 21:21

Wait wait wait, if this is going to be for an android audience, then most people playing won't be kids, most kids have Iphones and such. Also it would be too hard to make good 3D models you might as well just make sprites.

Automatik

Post » 21 Apr 2014, 00:31

If you aren't selling the game, there isn't really a need to "appeal to a larger audience". Also look at Minecraft : lots of kids playing it despite the graphics.
Also since you aren't selling the game, I guess you could use Unity since the "indie version" is free.

I LÖVE LUA

Post » 22 Apr 2014, 19:52

Starsly wrote:Wait wait wait, if this is going to be for an android audience, then most people playing won't be kids, most kids have Iphones and such.

What the h eck ? "Kids" don't always have iPhones. In my class, most of my friends have Android phones.
(Actualy, only one person have an Apple product, and it's an iPod.)
So, you see it's a cliché.

B-Man99

Post » 22 Apr 2014, 20:51

At my school the high school students that stay after for things ride the elementary bus home, and when I have to do this I see more iPhones out and being used by 9 year olds than I do by everyone else I see during my day of high school.
vakema wrote:This makes me sad.
--------------------------------------------------------------
off topic:
Does cliché really have an alternate meaning similar to stereotype? I'm curious because that's how you used it and while I wouldn't be too surprised I never knew.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 22 Apr 2014, 21:28

B-Man99 wrote: Does cliché really have an alternate meaning similar to stereotype? I'm curious because that's how you used it and while I wouldn't be too surprised I never knew.
cliché comes from the French root 'clicher' which is 'to stereotype'. So yes it means that.

B-Man99

Post » 22 Apr 2014, 21:46

I can't wait to say that to my french teacher tomorrow thanks

Automatik

Post » 22 Apr 2014, 21:56

Well actually the french word is also cliché, not clicher.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 22 Apr 2014, 23:33

Maybe it's old french then? I know we adopted alot of the language after the Norman conquest of England so maybe it was common use then. All I know is googling clicher brings results saying it was french and the word cliché comes from it.
I'm not assuming that anyone uses it anymore.
I clearly trust you to know french.

HowToEatGirafes

Post » 24 Apr 2014, 00:05

"cliché" is like stéréotype but it can also says taking a picture / photo

Shadoo

Post » 25 Apr 2014, 22:21

I'm sorry, but all I see is a troll.

Automatik

Post » 25 Apr 2014, 22:32

Well, I just see someone who does a lot of weird decisions. Then it's his project, not mine. I don't think he's trolling, a troll would say really stupid shit.(Though him trying to use 3d graphics to "appeal to a broader audience", when it's not commercial is weird, + "Unreal is cheaper than unity even though I am not selling anything")

kripkush

Post » 28 Apr 2014, 03:17

I LÖVE LUA wrote:
Starsly wrote:Wait wait wait, if this is going to be for an android audience, then most people playing won't be kids, most kids have Iphones and such.

What the h eck ? "Kids" don't always have iPhones. In my class, most of my friends have Android phones.
(Actualy, only one person have an Apple product, and it's an iPod.)
So, you see it's a cliché.
we will probably cross compile for iphone too, altough licensing with apple is a bit harder since they arent open source like android.
Shadoo wrote:I'm sorry, but all I see is a troll.
lol
Automatik wrote:Well, I just see someone who does a lot of weird decisions. Then it's his project, not mine. I don't think he's trolling, a troll would say really stupid shit.(Though him trying to use 3d graphics to "appeal to a broader audience", when it's not commercial is weird, + "Unreal is cheaper than unity even though I am not selling anything")
more downloads = more recognition = better job

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 29 Apr 2014, 10:20

kripkush wrote: we will probably cross compile for iphone too, altough licensing with apple is a bit harder since they arent open source like android.
Openness of the OS has nothing to do with the openness of their application store.
kripkush wrote: more downloads = more recognition = better job
Commercial success and critical success are 2 entirely different things. Not that you mentioned commercial, but for free games, downloads are the commercial success.