mari0 pe (pocket edition)

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
jwright159

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:10

Simple enough.
Is there such a thing?

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:13

Simple?

1. Aiming the gun and shooting would be a pain in the a***.
2. It would take a long time to recode Mari0 to fit it onto a phone (longer than making SE, that is).
3. The level editor would be a pain, too.

Also, this has been discussed before. Final word: No.

alesan99

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:17

Mari0 is on pandora
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detai ... i0_ptitseb
It's not on android or the appstore.

jwright159

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:20

OrbitalBlueprint wrote:Simple?

1. Aiming the gun and shooting would be a pain in the a***.
2. It would take a long time to recode Mari0 to fit it onto a phone (longer than making SE, that is).
3. The level editor would be a pain, too.

Also, this has been discussed before. Final word: No.
1. Hold for 1 portal, tap for the other, where you press is the direction it fires
2. So?
3. A button that you press to access the tiles and stuff

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:27

jwright159 wrote: 1. Hold for 1 portal, tap for the other, where you press is the direction it fires
2. So?
jwright159 wrote: 2. So?
jwright159 wrote:So?
This just makes me mad.

jwright159

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:30

OrbitalBlueprint wrote:
jwright159 wrote: 1. Hold for 1 portal, tap for the other, where you press is the direction it fires
2. So?
jwright159 wrote:So?
OrbitalBlueprint wrote:This just makes me mad.
Too bad. I still want it.

jwright159

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:35

alesan99 wrote:Mari0 is on pandora
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detai ... i0_ptitseb
It's not on android or the appstore.
What is pandora?
I can't download the file.
I can't open a php.

Camewel

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:36

Okay, you make it then!
Problem solved, lock the thread. This guy's making Mari0 PE, as clearly he doesn't mind how long it takes, he really wants it.

jwright159

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:39

Camewel wrote:Okay, you make it then!
Problem solved, lock the thread. This guy's making Mari0 PE, as clearly he doesn't mind how long it takes, he really wants it.
:P
What code should I use?
I KNOW NOTHING

jwright159

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:40

Camewel wrote:Okay, you make it then!
Wait! Don't lock the thread!

Firaga

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:40

Maurice wrote:No.

TheSeek

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:42

jwright159 wrote: What is pandora?
A $500 handheld console based on Linux, primarly made for homebrews.
jwright159 wrote: Too bad. I still want it.
Too bad. You still won't get it.

jwright159

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:47

TheSeek wrote:
jwright159 wrote: What is pandora?
A $500 handheld console based on Linux, primarly made for homebrews.
That doesn't help.
TheSeek wrote:
jwright159 wrote: Too bad. I still want it.
Too bad. You still won't get it.
Smart ass

Firaga

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 18:51

Ok, in short...
  • 1. Love is not currently for handhelds (to my knowledge).
    2. Nobody want's to code it.
    3. Nobody wants to put the effort into it.
    4. Just because you want it doesn't mean you'll get it. That's not how wanting something works.
    5. Code it yourself if you care so much about it, because this isn't the first thread about making Mari0 portable, and we still got nowhere in the five or six other threads about that.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 21:59

First of all, have you even considered the pain of controlling Mari0 on a handheld that is anything short of a Pandora or Nintendo (3)DS?

If you were to use just a touchscreen device you'd need a direction pad, a thumbstick (or whatever the bloody thing is called), a jump button and 2 portal buttons. Also a sprint button. Are you seeing the problem yet?

The concept of playing Mari0 (which is fairly complicated in maps where you need good reaction time and portal aiming) on a mobile platform just seems asinine. Not to mention the minor problem of having to redo everything in a different language because Löve doesn't support all the needed stuff on mobiles, and even then it's experimental.

A waste of time to have maybe 200 people play it and then realize that it's impossible to play unless you have a massive screen, which doesn't really make it as pocket.

But hey, if you invest four thousand euros in Stabyourself.net, I can assure you I will personally look into the possibilites of porting for at least three minutes. By then I'd probably realize how annoying it would be to control.

Trist3D

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 21:50

You could have the mobile device held sideways, using the right thumb to move Mario and aim the portal gun. (Thinking Dead Ops Arcade-esque movement)
And three buttons in the bottom left corner to jump and shoot the two portals. (Like Robot Unicorn Attack.)
If only I knew coding. Movement and control seems like everyone's main problem. And this'd be pretty cool.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 20:40

Trist3D wrote:You could have the mobile device held sideways, using the right thumb to move Mario and aim the portal gun. (Thinking Dead Ops Arcade-esque movement)
And three buttons in the bottom left corner to jump and shoot the two portals. (Like Robot Unicorn Attack.)
If only I knew coding. Movement and control seems like everyone's main problem. And this'd be pretty cool.
Please can you draw a mockup of this system?

Trist3D

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 22:39

I have no computer, and my credit card has a glitch on it, so I can't get a drawing app on my phone.

Automatik

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 23:16

Trist3D wrote:I have no computer, and my credit card has a glitch on it, so I can't get a drawing app on my phone.
I know a small free drawing program for Android, it's called Draw(er).

Trist3D

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 02:08

I can't download apps, because I never got my permanent credit card.
It charged my permanent credit card, something happened, and now I can't draw on my phone.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 07:42

Sašo wrote:if you invest four thousand euros in Stabyourself.net
can you imagine if this actually happened
just like seriously what if this happened
someone just decided to invest 4000 euros into sys
can you imagine what would happen other than saso looking into mobile
i dont know i just kinda noticed that
i dont know

Trist3D

Post » 27 Dec 2013, 10:19

Hate to bump a thread, but I managed to make a mockup of the system I meant. (Whatever a mockup is.)
The picture is huge.
It wouldn't email so I had to take a picture of it.
Also, it looks more cramped than I meant for it to because I drew it with my finger.
Lp- Whatever color portal the left click does
Rp-Opposite of Lp
J- jump
S- Keeps Mario still so you can aim without him moving.

domnitrolp

Post » 06 Feb 2014, 11:40

I am very sorry to bump this Thread, but I don't think the controls would be a problem.
Just think about it. How handle Emulators on Android (example: PPSSPP,a PSP Emulator) this problem.
They allow you to control the Game with a real controller (example: Dualshock 3 aka PS3 Controller).
Just want to say.

Automatik

Post » 06 Feb 2014, 14:41

If you have to bring a controller with you to play, then it's not really a pocket edition.

domnitrolp

Post » 10 Feb 2014, 03:14

Automatik wrote:If you have to bring a controller with you to play, then it's not really a pocket edition.
It's still a portable Version whoch you can play without a Computer.

Firaga

Post » 10 Feb 2014, 03:19

domnitrolp wrote:
Automatik wrote:If you have to bring a controller with you to play, then it's not really a pocket edition.
Can't fit a Wii or an XBox into your pocket.

domnitrolp

Post » 10 Feb 2014, 03:28

Firaga wrote:
domnitrolp wrote:
Can't fit a Wii or an XBox into your pocket.
Please, read the other Posts...

We are talking about an Android version. (Apple/Windows wouldn't be possible with controller, Firefox not tested yet.)

kevansevans

Post » 10 Feb 2014, 03:46

The problem here isn't making a workable control scheme, it's actually wanting to make the program itself. Not everyone here has an android device. Not everyone here is willing to toss a few hundred dollars to get an android device. Not everyone here is willing to learn the programming behind making such a thing. Not everyone is willing to buy a controller if they don't have one.

Best solution if you want this to happen is to do it yourself.

And I don't know what you mean by not possible with a controller on macs/windows. I have a video where I play Mari0 and Not Pacman with a dualshock 4 on my windows 8 laptop. No extra software needed, i just connected it via bluetooth and it read the inputs perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0E884Bx-8
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx21 ... 91f507.jpg

domnitrolp

Post » 10 Feb 2014, 04:29

kevansevans wrote:The problem here isn't making a workable control scheme, it's actually wanting to make the program itself. Not everyone here has an android device. Not everyone here is willing to toss a few hundred dollars to get an android device. Not everyone here is willing to learn the programming behind making such a thing. Not everyone is willing to buy a controller if they don't have one.

Best solution if you want this to happen is to do it yourself.

And I don't know what you mean by not possible with a controller on macs/windows. I have a video where I play Mari0 and Not Pacman with a dualshock 4 on my windows 8 laptop. No extra software needed, i just connected it via bluetooth and it read the inputs perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0E884Bx-8
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx21 ... 91f507.jpg
I meant Windows Phone. (And just for in case: with Firefox I mean Firefox OS.)

And the ones who have no Android Phones, their bads!
Last problem would be a Coder. I am not able to code by myself because I never learnt the language. Otherwise I would code you this.

kevansevans

Post » 10 Feb 2014, 08:54

domnitrolp wrote:I am not able to code by myself because I never learnt the language. Otherwise I would code you this.
Learn one then. No one around here is just going to stop whatever it is they're doing to just learn another language because you asked them.

domnitrolp

Post » 20 Apr 2014, 18:28

kevansevans wrote:
domnitrolp wrote:I am not able to code by myself because I never learnt the language. Otherwise I would code you this.
Learn one then. No one around here is just going to stop whatever it is they're doing to just learn another language because you asked them.
I just made a suggestion/offered a workaround, nothing else.
Actually I am busy with exams and learning Python, so...

SseanNRocks14

Post » 13 Jun 2014, 20:29

Hey, everyone. Not all hope is lost. Possible developers for a mobile version should check this out: https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/developer/. Yep, iOS 8 looks pretty decent so far! Scroll down to the gaming - kit sections. Maybe Spritekits would be of some help, and even Metal? ;) Also, developers should acquaint themselves with the new iOS language, "Swift." I'm not sure what all you guys can do with the new features, but it sounds promising! Also, there's a feature about "Custom Actions," with the general sharing, add to reading list, etc. Perhaps developers can take advantage of that for save, load, edit & whatnots. Hopefully some developers could get an idea with what they're working with soon & start early! ;D

MagicPillow

Post » 13 Jun 2014, 21:14

That doesn't change the fact that Portal and Mario are copyrighted.

Trist3D

Post » 13 Jun 2014, 22:08

If someone was devoted enough to resprite the entire game (Maybe they could use the All Night Stabyourself mod with a custom tileset) then I'm sure it'd be allowed. There are plenty of ripoffs with barely edited graphics.

Automatik

Post » 13 Jun 2014, 22:38

SseanNRocks14 wrote:Hey, everyone. Not all hope is lost. Possible developers for a mobile version should check this out: https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/developer/. Yep, iOS 8 looks pretty decent so far! Scroll down to the gaming - kit sections. Maybe Spritekits would be of some help, and even Metal? ;) Also, developers should acquaint themselves with the new iOS language, "Swift." I'm not sure what all you guys can do with the new features, but it sounds promising! Also, there's a feature about "Custom Actions," with the general sharing, add to reading list, etc. Perhaps developers can take advantage of that for save, load, edit & whatnots. Hopefully some developers could get an idea with what they're working with soon & start early! ;D
It was already possible to make games before, it's just that now, you can have a bit more performance, which wasn't the thing that keep mari0 from being on iOS.(The problems are touch controls, and the closed AppStore) And Swift is useless here since mari0 is already coded in lua, there is no need to recode anything.

And I can't see how the "Custom Actions" could be used for mari0. The "Documents" API, maybe.("Select an icon for your mappack", something like that.) But mari0 is coded in lua, using Löve. So if there was a port of mari0, it would use the iOS version of Löve, which won't implement SpriteKit or Metal because that would involve recoding most of Löve's code.

SseanNRocks14

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 01:58

And your point is? someone's bound to do it. Right? Maybe? Hopefully? PLEASE SOMEONE RECODE IT INTO SWIFT!! That's why I gave the heads-up now so people would work on recoding it AHEAD of time! ;) And/or re-making the partial/FULL game out of Swift. There's a well used engine called Unity, that I see in a lot of apps, so I'm not sure if that would be of any use, if coding with Swift will get in the way of using the LÖVE engine.
Last edited by SseanNRocks14 on 29 Jul 2014, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

Firaga

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 02:01

SseanNRocks14 wrote:And your point is? someone's bound to do it. Right? Maybe? Hopefully? [size=]PLEASE SOMEONE RECODE IT INTO SWIFT!![/size] That's why I gave the heads-up now so people would work on recoding it AHEAD of time! ;) And/or re-making the partial/FULL game out of Swift. There's a well used engine called Unity, that I see pin a lot of apps, so I'm not sure if that would be of any use, if coding with Swift will get in the way of using the LÖVE engine.
Sašo wrote:If you were to use just a touchscreen device you'd need a direction pad, a thumbstick (or whatever the bloody thing is called), a jump button and 2 portal buttons. Also a sprint button. Are you seeing the problem yet?

The concept of playing Mari0 (which is fairly complicated in maps where you need good reaction time and portal aiming) on a mobile platform just seems asinine. Not to mention the minor problem of having to redo everything in a different language because Löve doesn't support all the needed stuff on mobiles, and even then it's experimental.

A waste of time to have maybe 200 people play it and then realize that it's impossible to play unless you have a massive screen, which doesn't really make it as pocket.

But hey, if you invest four thousand euros in Stabyourself.net, I can assure you I will personally look into the possibilites of porting for at least three minutes. By then I'd probably realize how annoying it would be to control.

Trist3D

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 03:14

Trist3D wrote:Hate to bump a thread, but I managed to make a mockup of the system I meant. (Whatever a mockup is.)
The picture is huge.
It wouldn't email so I had to take a picture of it.
Also, it looks more cramped than I meant for it to because I drew it with my finger.
Lp- Whatever color portal the left click does
Rp-Opposite of Lp
J- jump
S- Keeps Mario still so you can aim without him moving.

Automatik

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 12:21

SseanNRocks14 wrote:And your point is? someone's bound to do it. Right? Maybe? Hopefully? [size=]PLEASE SOMEONE RECODE IT INTO SWIFT!![/size] That's why I gave the heads-up now so people would work on recoding it AHEAD of time! ;) And/or re-making the partial/FULL game out of Swift. There's a well used engine called Unity, that I see pin a lot of apps, so I'm not sure if that would be of any use, if coding with Swift will get in the way of using the LÖVE engine.
Why? Why? What's the point of recoding mari0 or Löve into Swift?? It don't allow or permit anything! It's just a convenience, a language that's useful when you code a new game from scratch, and just for iOS. Mari0 is already coded. Therefore Swift is absolutely, definitively, USELESS for mari0. I'm sure these new API are available in Objective-C. And once again, these API doesn't allow to do anything more. It just allow to something a bit faster, which isn't worth entirely recoding Löve just for one platform. The current ports of Löve to android & iOS work very well with C++ / OpenGL. I repeat, the performance improvements are 1. Available in Objective-C 2. Not worth it.
If you want to make a port of Mari0 to iOS, there is no need to recode anything in Swift. These features are good for new games, but not when you want to port old games to a new platform.

@Trist3D: Nice, but it still look not as comfortable as kb & mouse or a gamepad. What if you had to fire a portal while being still and jumping? You would need 4 fingers for that.
I suggest this :
- One virtual stick, up to jump, left/right to walk, down for fireball / to run.
- The rest of the screen, tap somewhere to shoot a portal toward that point.
- Tap toward a button / cube whatever to press it / pick it up.
That way, you can play mari0 with just two fingers.

MF064DD

Post » 15 Jun 2014, 00:53

You are also forgetting that Nintendo could SUE or SHUT IT DOWN at the very least. Making money off characters that Nintendo made is wrong, and if the app is free the creator can find a way to make money off of it. This is probably the stupidest topic ever and even YOU know that no one is going to listen to a demanding little bitch (sorry) like you. If you want to play Mari0 than be happy with what you have. Windows, Mac, Linux, JUST PLAY THE GODDAMN GAME! Someone please lock this thread. This is more sorry than the requests to PORT the game into the NES, GB/GBC/GBA, and Wii Homebrew. If you really want to play with a remote, don't be a cheap bastard and get a XBox 360 or Dualshock 3 controller adapter. If necessary, use a Wii U Pro controller. But don't ask anyone to make Mari0 ported to any system. It's fine on a computer as it is.

Trist3D

Post » 15 Jun 2014, 01:17

Trist3D wrote:If someone was devoted enough to resprite the entire game (Maybe they could use the All Night Stabyourself mod with a custom tileset) then I'm sure it'd be allowed. There are plenty of ripoffs with barely edited graphics.

Automatik

Post » 15 Jun 2014, 09:07

Well, it's possible to put the game on the App Store for free, with no ads. And I guess this game is kinda a parody, so it fall under fair use.
Trist3D wrote:If someone was devoted enough to resprite the entire game (Maybe they could use the All Night Stabyourself mod with a custom tileset) then I'm sure it'd be allowed. There are plenty of ripoffs with barely edited graphics.
I... I dunno, It wouldn't be really mari0. But yeah, you're right.

But anyway, if there was a port of mari0, it would be on android, since you don't have to pay to develop an android game. (You have to pay to put it on the Play Store though)

MF064DD

Post » 15 Jun 2014, 17:39

But the usage of Portal and the Portal Gun is probably copyrighted. And it just wouldn't feel the same with different graphics. If you were to start yes, put it on Android. Android doesn't give a shit what you put on their Play Store. Hell, there is a Super SNES emulator on it. And yes, it would be very easy to develop and put on their store. I own an Apple device, but I would HAPPILY buy a Galaxy Tablet or something if this game were to come out for the Play Store.

SseanNRocks14

Post » 15 Jun 2014, 20:43

Mariofan064 wrote:But the usage of Portal and the Portal Gun is probably copyrighted. And it just wouldn't feel the same with different graphics. If you were to start yes, put it on Android. Android doesn't give a shit what you put on their Play Store. Hell, there is a Super SNES emulator on it. And yes, it would be very easy to develop and put on their store. I own an Apple device, but I would HAPPILY buy a Galaxy Tablet or something if this game were to come out for the Play Store.
Keep in mind that the portal gun in Portal is a 3D model, the one in Mari0 is distinguishly 2 dimensional and therefore different.
-On a side note, the iOS 8 was just an idea to think about for developers, and the new Spritekits that Apple is adding, if they wanted to port to Swift (I highly doubt that anyone wants to). Like Saso said, iOS devices don't support all of the features that LÖVE does, so although it would be EXTREMELY and excruciatingly tedious, someone might do it… if we're lucky…

-And Mariofan064, if you're gonna call people a
demanding little bitch
, it's not about one person's opinion, (yours,) but about the people that actually WANT a port to iOS. Just because you don't want a port doesn't mean you have to rain on everyone else's parade. There's no harm done in trying to port Mari0 over to iOS (or succeeding! :D ). Some people will want it on mobile devices & iOS (me included), and you don't have to partake in playing a mobile Mari0 version if you don't want to. Developers &/or people will port &/or re-code Mari0 for mobile devices if they want, and I understand if some people are more demanding than others, and they shouldn't be. I'm honestly not very demanding when it comes to this, it'd be GREAT if there was a successful & practical mobile version of Mari0, & if it gets made, then it gets made (woo-hoo), and if it doesn't, it doesn't (oh well). :)

B-Man99

Post » 15 Jun 2014, 22:05

Mariofan064 wrote:demanding little bitch (sorry)
You literally aren't sorry
If you were sorry then you wouldn't have said that in the first place
Wow

SuperKid

Post » 28 Jun 2014, 09:08

You want Mari0 on your phone? I know a way to do it.

There is a program I use, it's called "Splashtop", it's free and it's on mobile. You can remotely control your desktop from your phone.. IDK why you'd ever want to play Mari0 on your phone, but theres your workaround. IDK how to set up the controls for mobile play either, but I'm sure there are ways.

maxweb32

Post » 06 Jul 2014, 12:00

Has no one thought of the possibility of putting this on a PSP? personally, I think it would work WONDERS. (I'm not thinking about how to properly port it over right now, and that's still not the issue, the issue is IF someone wants to port it at all. It's difficult, but possible.)

Here is a mockup of how the controls would work Image

The PSP would be perfect because it naturally runs at 16:9, the same aspect ratio that Mari0 runs at (I know the image doesn't show that very well, but that's because I was too lazy to Google a better image, unlike the DS or 3DS where you not only have it running at 4:3, but you also have the top screen which wouldn't really be doing anything.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 06 Jul 2014, 12:03

Sure, a lot have thought.

Except you also need someone with enough spare time and PSP coding experience to actually do it.

SseanNRocks14

Post » 08 Jul 2014, 19:07

maxweb32 wrote:Has no one thought of the possibility of putting this on a PSP? personally, I think it would work WONDERS. (I'm not thinking about how to properly port it over right now, and that's still not the issue, the issue is IF someone wants to port it at all. It's difficult, but possible.)

Here is a mockup of how the controls would work http://i59.tinypic.com/2191mo1.jpg

The PSP would be perfect because it naturally runs at 16:9, the same aspect ratio that Mari0 runs at (I know the image doesn't show that very well, but that's because I was too lazy to Google a better image, unlike the DS or 3DS where you not only have it running at 4:3, but you also have the top screen which wouldn't really be doing anything.
Don't get me wrong, this would be great! Only problem, PSP is really outdated. :/ I have a PSP 3000, and it can't even connect to WiFi because the system doesn't support WPA-2 Personal encryption. Although very vague, there's talk of Mari0 online (yes, among it's players, I'm not sure about developers). Anyways, that would be a problem since PSP's can't connect to many routers, since most of the ones it CAN are pretty old. I hate to say it, but I think PS Vita is the way to go. Although it was pretty much a fail, it looks as if the most recent models of it aren't that bad though. :D

Think of the flexibility with all of the controls, though!! Dual analogue… Touchback… You kidding?! I'll try and see if I can make a mockup of the controls for Vista sometime, doesn't look that hard. Again, there's still the problem with finding someone with the time and patience to port, touché to SAŠO.

-On a side note, the Lua language has actually been quote: "ported" to iOS via a Cydia tweak for jailbroken i-devices. I currently have it installed, and I'm running iOS 7.1.1 on an iPhone 5 with Pangu jailbreak.

-If the matter of having practical controls is a big issue, then there is also a tweak called "Controllers For All." Although most of the videos / information indicates that it allows [only] PS3 controllers to connect to iPhones, the newest version actually allows wireless keyboards to connect to iOS devices with BlueTooth, too. As for the mouse & aiming, THERE'S A FREAKIN' TOUCH SCREEN FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! XD
http://cydia.saurik.com/package/com.ori ... ersforall/
Last edited by SseanNRocks14 on 06 Jan 2015, 05:14, edited 2 times in total.

DerickFabro

Post » 27 Jul 2014, 22:28

pocket edition...
pokemon?!?
(pokemon in japan = pocket monsters)