Logical Maze issue

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Darksteel

Post » 17 Oct 2013, 02:03

I am having an issue with logical mazes in a mappack I am making, the issue is that when the maze 'rolls over' to the beginning entities that aren't 'default Mario' (I.e; Jumpads, Doors, Buttons, Lasers, Hard Light surfaces) are not checked, meaning if, per say, immediately after the maze there was a laser, then that laser would still be present even though you did not hit all of the logical mazes gates, this lead to a 'impossible situation' in which a button which was supposed to deactivate the laser couldn't be reached as the Blocks of the area Did Not appear.

Has anyone got a way for me to avoid this? as I would really like to use the logical maze in conjunction with the Portal items.

Sorry if this issue has been brought up before.

Wilo

Post » 17 Oct 2013, 02:32

Entities don't roll over with logic mazes like blocks do. It's a bug that will most likely be fixed in time.

Darksteel

Post » 17 Oct 2013, 02:41

If that's the case, why doesn't it apply to all entities? as Spring Platforms roll over, as do enemies.

Wilo

Post » 17 Oct 2013, 02:58

As I said, it's a bug, so I'm not sure, but I know it will be fixed in SE. I think it may have to do with the properties, as I'm going to call them, that their coding grants them, that the Super Mario Bros. entities have, but not the Portal entities, for whatever reason.

Darksteel

Post » 17 Oct 2013, 04:18

Guess I'll just change the order to have the portal entities ahead of the logical maze to avoid this then, oh well, it's nothing huge, thanks for the help WiloKing.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 17 Oct 2013, 13:29

Which spring platforms? The one from SMB? They shouldn't loop (and don't. I just tested).
It's simply that you shouldn't use mazes. They were not written with performance or anything in mind.
It's not a bug and it won't be fixed. They simply exist so that the SMB mappack can use them.
I will probably hide them from the editor in the future because yeah, they do not behave as one would expect.

Darksteel

Post » 17 Oct 2013, 15:37

I did mean the spring pads from SMB, however, when I went and double checked I found that they weren't working like I thought... namely; while they didn't roll over, they didn't appear if the logical maze was completed either... I screwed up and placed a Koopa entity over it.

Also, please, if possible, incorporate Logical Mazes into later versions, as they may not be a brilliant feature, but they still add a level of challenge (in the hands of a pro anyway) that is hard to replicate with other features of your game...

(Besides, you get that sweet sadistic feeling when you let someone test your level on what appears to be an endless straight, and they die from time because they were missing the gate.)

TurretBot

Post » 19 Oct 2013, 05:49

Oh cool, make a spring floor and it turns into a bottomless pit.