Streaming game development: https://www.twitch.tv/stabyourself Image

Do you guys use Mari0 for the Portals or for GameMaking?

Mari0Maker
User avatar
Posts: 1347
Joined: 07 Apr 2012, 17:10
Reputation: 39
Contact:

Post » 24 Aug 2013, 23:49

I think it should still be called Mari0.
And I have thought the same before, it does seem like a lot of people use it just for level creating. I can admit that I am one of them.
Some people like HugoBDesigner though really know how to use Mari0 to its full potential.
But heck, Mari0 is still one of the greatest games of all time.
Last edited by Mari0Maker on 25 Aug 2013, 00:59, edited 2 times in total.

idiot9.0
User avatar
Posts: 1713
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 10:28
Reputation: 196
Contact:

Post » 25 Aug 2013, 00:02

The name is fine, because that's the main aspect: Mario with a portal gun. That is what draws people in, and that's what people try using first.

The level editor is nice and everything, and is one of the bigger focuses, but the game wouldn't be as recognizable as it is without the portals. It'd just be another form of level editor, which there are many out there, be it through rom hacking or standalone programs.

And how I see it, the game will always be about the portals. Sure there's the feature to not start with it coming in SE, but the portal gun adds so much to the core gameplay of SMB so it's not just the platforming game we all love already, but makes it also a puzzle game.

You have some valid points, but it's not enough to justify a name change.

Automatik
User avatar
Posts: 1076
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54
Reputation: 8
Contact:

Post » 25 Aug 2013, 09:42

idiot9.0 wrote:but the portal gun adds so much to the core gameplay of SMB so it's not just the platforming game we all love already, but makes it also a puzzle game.

I disagree. I almost never use portals in the SMB mappack, because it's almost never needed. It's only a puzzle game when you play it on a portal mappack.
A good Mari0 mappack shouldn't be afraid to use portal elements,(Even if the graphics are replaced.) because they make the portal gun part much more interesting.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32
Reputation: 35

Post » 25 Aug 2013, 09:52

Automatik wrote:
idiot9.0 wrote:but the portal gun adds so much to the core gameplay of SMB so it's not just the platforming game we all love already, but makes it also a puzzle game.

I disagree. I almost never use portals in the SMB mappack, because it's almost never needed.

I really don't understand this sentence in the slightest.
It's obviously never needed, those levels were designed with no portal gun use in mind.
But you could, you know, use it for fun too (yeah radical idea right there playing a game for fun).

Automatik
User avatar
Posts: 1076
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54
Reputation: 8
Contact:

Post » 25 Aug 2013, 13:47

Camewel wrote:I really don't understand this sentence in the slightest.
It's obviously never needed, those levels were designed with no portal gun use in mind.

When I said "almost", I was thinking of this part in 8-4.
Image
That pipe can be accessed easier with a portal gun, If you aren't aware of that hidden block.
the portal gun isn't needed, but in that case, it's more useful.

infinight888
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2013, 07:18
Reputation: 3

Post » 16 Sep 2013, 06:30

Camewel wrote:
Automatik wrote:
idiot9.0 wrote:but the portal gun adds so much to the core gameplay of SMB so it's not just the platforming game we all love already, but makes it also a puzzle game.

I disagree. I almost never use portals in the SMB mappack, because it's almost never needed.

I really don't understand this sentence in the slightest.
It's obviously never needed, those levels were designed with no portal gun use in mind.
But you could, you know, use it for fun too (yeah radical idea right there playing a game for fun).


I use to play the SMB levels for fun. I kept accidentally killing myself. I stopped doing that.

ChrisGin
User avatar
Posts: 208
Joined: 24 Mar 2013, 06:52
Reputation: 1
Contact:

Post » 16 Sep 2013, 20:51

Why not both?
Image

OrbitalBlueprint
User avatar
Posts: 601
Joined: 08 Sep 2013, 20:11
Reputation: 308
Contact:

Post » 17 Sep 2013, 12:01

I mostly use it for the portals AND the mapmaking. I love making test chambers, even if it's in 2D, and it is great for telling custom Mario or Portal stories.

overconfidentduh
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Nov 2015, 02:55
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Post » 26 Nov 2015, 02:57

actually i only use it for the mario because my snes is getting repaired

Technochips
User avatar
Posts: 690
Joined: 12 Mar 2015, 16:05
Reputation: 189
Contact:

Post » 26 Nov 2015, 03:37

Don't bump old thread please

HugoBDesigner
User avatar
Posts: 2109
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 02:23
Reputation: 665
Contact:

Post » 26 Nov 2015, 04:02

He joined today, and this is his first post, so lets make it easier for him to understand:

overconfidentduh wrote:actually i only use it for the mario because my snes is getting repaired


Avoid posting in threads in which the last post is several months old (in this case, the last post was from 2013, therefore VERY old). "Bumping" (or bringing old posts back to the top) is bad since it's usually unnecessary. Also, since you're a new member, avoid posting on a thread where the last post is already yours (as in making multiple posts in a row). This forum offers an "edit" button on the top-right of your posts, so use that if you feel the need to inform something else without making a new post. Also, before creating a thread, read the rules first. And welcome to Stabyourself!

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4635
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 713
Contact:

Post » 26 Nov 2015, 06:44

how do people even find old threads like why did you go all the way to page 7 just to find a thread come on

MF064DD
User avatar
Posts: 737
Joined: 20 May 2014, 00:08
Reputation: 284
Contact:

Post » 26 Nov 2015, 07:03

On topic, taking aside from the bump, I use it for game making.

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4635
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 713
Contact:

Post » 26 Nov 2015, 11:02

Mariofan064 wrote:aside from the bump

yeah just a 2 year bump nothing no big deal silly mariofan, you don't even know

;)
Last edited by TurretBot on 27 Nov 2015, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

imgudman4567
User avatar
Posts: 249
Joined: 22 Jun 2015, 23:22
Reputation: 18
Contact:

Post » 26 Nov 2015, 20:06

TurretBot wrote:
Mariofan064 wrote:aside from the bump

yeah just a 2 year bump nothing no big deal silly mariofan, you don't even know


Let me recover something you said.
TurretBot wrote:silly mariofan, you don't even know

You are very good at hiding things TurretBot.

Also, I use Mari0 for mostly the level designing aspect. A.k.a: Super Mario 3D World: 2D Edition

And Turret left a winky face in no size on that post later on. And only now I check to find it. Clever (insert your gender here)
Last edited by imgudman4567 on 09 Jul 2016, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

overconfidentduh
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Nov 2015, 02:55
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Post » 28 Nov 2015, 02:28

eh i dont know why i do that stuff but i dont know why i want to in the first place


Return to “Mari0”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron