Can't warp to level 4

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Raicuparta

Post » 28 Jul 2013, 15:52

Warp pipes from another level to level 4 don't seem to work, the game just ends with the "you win" screen. Not sure if this is a known bug, if not, can someone test this to see if it's just me?

TripleXero

Post » 28 Jul 2013, 16:05

Not a bug intentionally, but it causes problems so maybe it could be seen as one. Having a warp pipe to World 4 without the text showing sends you to -1, which you don't have a level for, so the game ends

Raicuparta

Post » 28 Jul 2013, 19:41

Oh it's for that. Ok thanks.

Random ibiot

Post » 03 Jan 2014, 05:39

TripleXero wrote:Not a bug intentionally, but it causes problems so maybe it could be seen as one. Having a warp pipe to World 4 without the text showing sends you to -1, which you don't have a level for, so the game ends
I actually gone to -1 in the game, I played way too much super mario, just like how I know that the first pipe brings you to -1, the second world 5-1? (normal) and the third -1 again

Superjustinbros

Post » 05 Jan 2014, 04:14

Random ibiot wrote: I actually gone to -1 in the game, I played way too much super mario, just like how I know that the first pipe brings you to -1, the second world 5-1? (normal) and the third -1 again
I've already explained why the center pipe takes you to 5-1 if you use the trick to enter the Warp Zone by going through the solid tiles, but I suppose I could say it again.
Initially prior to entering the Warp zone in 1-2, the room has 4-2's Warp Zone data present. If you recall, that Warp Zone has only one pipe in the center that takes the player to World 5, which is in the same position as the World 2 Warp pipe in 1-2's Warp Zone.

Once the screen stops scrolling in 1-2, only then does it load up the proper Warp Zone data, draw the text onscreen, and allow access to the intended worlds of 2, 3, and 4.

Every Warp Zone in SMB1 is always programed to display three World numbers no matter how many pipes are present and are set as warps to other worlds, and since 4-2's Warp Zone has only one pipe, the first and third characters are called up as the thirty-sixth character in the RAM: a blank space, which is also the true World number of the Minus World.

Also, unlike Mari0, the numbers that appear over each Warp Pipe can only be put in the same 8x8-pixel tile each warp.