An idea with custom songs

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 07:49

This was something I came up with while I was browsing a few forum topics regarding custom music in mappacks: An idea where if you were to name a music file something like "Overworld.ogg" it would replace the standard music file for that mappack only, and you could have additional selectable songs for each theme, like "Overworld2" or "Overworld3", which are empty by default (and play no music if selected) and need to have a song put in with a matching filename for an actual song to play when that song is selected.

Below would be the list of songs that could be modified and wouldn't be consistent with each mappack.

Code: Select all

Overworld 1, 2, and 3 (Overworld 1 plays SMB1 Overworld theme if no song is loaded with that filename)
Underground 1, 2, and 3 (Underground 1 plays SMB1 Underground theme if no song is loaded with that filename)
Underwater 1 and 2 (Underwater 1 plays SMB1 Underwater theme if no song is loaded with that filename)
Castle 1 and 2 (Castle 1 plays SMB1 Castle theme if no song is loaded with that filename)
Bonus (plays Star (invincibility) theme if no song is loaded with that filename)
Boss (does not alter the current song if no song is loaded with that filename)
Portal (is mute by default)
Off
On a similar topic, this entity idea (the "Music Modifier") could be used to modify the level's current theme when Mario passes it's placement on the map. If another of the same song is placed later on (like when leaving from a bonus room) it would not restart the music unless a different theme than the one selected was defined.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 12 Jun 2013, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sky

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 09:21

Superjustinbros wrote:On a similar topic, this entity idea (the "Music Modifier") could be used to modify the level's current theme when Mario passes it's placement on the map. If another of the same song is placed later on (like when leaving from a bonus room) it would not restart the music unless a different theme than the one selected was defined.
It'd probably be a little better just plainly accepting some sort of input, as it'd allow for a broader range of options (even though most people would use the region trigger). Besides, having a one-block-wide entity as a major trigger sounds like it would be a little sketchy.

But yes, I'd like this too.

Ooh, wait, what if taking each step to solve a puzzle could add more layers to the music that's playing? I think this would allow for that just by itself.

Camewel

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 13:07

In SE, you can put as many different kinds of music as you want in a "music" folder in your mappack and have it selectable in the dropdown box.
The music modifier comes with a few design issues. Such as:
Do you cut off and start a new song instantly? Do you wait for a specific part in the song to cut off? Do you fade out/fade in?
When you respawn, what music plays?
WillWare's idea of having it just accept logic input makes a lot of sense, but having the music add layers is very hard to pull off effectively in love, due to its audio controls not being too great.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 16:23

It's already possible to make a block or region trigger an animation that changes the music, but that's sort of complicated, so an entity would make sense.
I'll see about that.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 16:42

To add layers, you'd just use an identical song with another layer added in the song.
There could be a mario paint composer to make music, too.
Just suggestions of course.

TurretBot

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 21:56

(Hey since we're talking about mario paint maybe we should start that up again.)

I think the Overworld/Overworld2/Overworld3 thing should be for random music, and the music will be selected randomly everytime you start the level or die.

And camewel, SJB isn't an idiot, you are.
When you die, the music stops anyway.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 22:54

Turret Opera wrote:I think the Overworld/Overworld2/Overworld3 thing should be for random music, and the music will be selected randomly everytime you start the level or die.
Better idea:

You pick Overworld 1, but in the files are Overworld 1 and Overworld 1_1, and it picks randomly between those two.

Camewel

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 23:14

Turret Opera wrote:And camewel, SJB isn't an idiot, you are.
I'm pretty much 100% sure you have no idea what you're replying to.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 08:51

I had to ctrl+f "idiot" just to make sure that camawel really didn't say anything like that.
What the hell are you on

And Camawel is completely right.

Sky

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 09:28

TheJonyMyster wrote:To add layers, you'd just use an identical song with another layer added in the song.
That's more what I was thinking. Just sorta fake it instead of messing with the audio itself.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 13:19

Camawel already said that löve's audio controls are insufficient to ensure synchronous playback of music.
If this fails (and it will fail), it'll be horrible.

Now start reading threads before replying.

Gramanaitor

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 14:07

Superjustinbros wrote:This was something I came up with while I was browsing a few forum topics regarding custom music in mappacks: An idea where if you were to name a music file something like "Overworld.ogg" it would replace the standard music file for that mappack only, and you could have additional selectable songs for each theme, like "Overworld2" or "Overworld3", which are empty by default (and play no music if selected) and need to have a song put in with a matching filename for an actual song to play when that song is selected.]
Isn't that what BAF did for 0'brothers? He modified the original music.

Automatik

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 14:42

Except it was in a mod.
We are talking about putting that in vanilla.

Camewel

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 17:31

Ignore that sometimes it's cut off a bit that's just because the GUI normally shouldn't have to deal with anything longer than "underground"

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 18:19

For the record I'm not too deep into overlaying music by giving them new layers once the player makes it to a new room of the stage without resetting the entire song. You could add the effect of music getting more dramatic by having different versions each with additional sound layers over other versions, but it wouldn't be the same effect as what was discussed earlier in the thread. As for Camewel's picture, aside from having song selections based on 0'Bros and thus different from what I originally listed, it's very close to how the song selection drop down would work. What I originally thought to pick the song was a drop down window with a scroll bar, and the dropdown would be wider to allow fitting an extra two letters (so you can properly put in "Undetground 1" and so forth).

Camewel

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 18:58

That's just a beta thing in the final release it'll have a scrollbar and will support more letters, maybe the letters will marquee or something (idea guy's making promises better follow them)

Sky

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 20:18

Maurice wrote:Camawel already said that löve's audio controls are insufficient to ensure synchronous playback of music.
If this fails (and it will fail), it'll be horrible.

Now start reading threads before replying.
I did.

What I got out of this statement
Camewel wrote:WillWare's idea of having it just accept logic input makes a lot of sense, but having the music add layers is very hard to pull off effectively in love, due to its audio controls not being too great.
was that löve couldn't directly add layers to the song, not that it couldn't synchronize playback. I misunderstood the statement; "audio controls" could mean a lot more than you say he meant.
Maurice wrote:Now start reading threads before replying.
To reiterate: I did. Please don't imply that I didn't.

TurretBot

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 20:29

Maurice wrote:
I had to ctrl+f "idiot" just to make sure that camawel really didn't say anything like that.
What the hell are you on

And Camawel is completely right.
'Camawel' has previously said that (in my favor) towards renhoek.

He asked which song would play when you die, but that need not be asked because there wouldn't be any cutoff due to the black screen.

Of course he didn't actually mean that.
So yeah. Camewel isn't an idiot, my apologies.

I was off meds (they help me focus) when I read that post.

Camewel

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 20:46

Turret Opera wrote:He asked which song would play when you die
Camewel wrote:When you respawn, what music plays?
This is just you not being able to read. The question was concerning that you changed music, so would it play the original music, or the new one?

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 21:31

When you respawn, the current level/room's music would play from the beginning as per the current version of Mari0, but if you place a Music Modifier entity over a checkpoint or exit from another room, it'll play that music instead of the default theme (again, from the beginning).
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 14 Jun 2013, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 21:57

Like in VVVVVV, right?

TurretBot

Post » 14 Jun 2013, 00:42

Camewel wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:He asked which song would play when you die
Camewel wrote:When you respawn, what music plays?
This is just you not being able to read. The question was concerning that you changed music, so would it play the original music, or the new one?
You respawn after death.

HansAgain

Post » 14 Jun 2013, 00:50

And now that you are talking about that, why no sound entity? and entity that sounds only when it is near you, but when you move away it sounds slower.
Tell me if I did not explain it well.

TurretBot

Post » 14 Jun 2013, 01:12

Camewel wrote:very hard to pull off effectively in love, due to its audio controls not being too great.

Camewel

Post » 14 Jun 2013, 01:25

Turret stop posting in this topic all of your posts in here are shit and wrong.
Hans has a good idea with a sound entity that plays a sound when triggered, but it would quickly bloat mappacks. It's possibly worth looking at anyway.

TurretBot

Post » 14 Jun 2013, 01:27

You could have PM'd me so I could at least delete the post.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 14 Jun 2013, 09:28

Goddamnit turret.

Also I don't see why the GUI should marquee longer song names. It's not my fault that you couldn't clearly identify a song with 11 letters.