Projectile Portals, insta-portals, and portal bumping.

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
kevansevans

Post » 06 May 2013, 06:05

If you've played Portal and Portal 2, you know what I'm talking about.

In the original Portal, portals were shot as projectiles, meaning it took time for the actual portal to move to a different wall. This would allow people to travel/portal past places making entire sections of the map unecesary when used correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOUAMu0qAk.

However, this was changed in Portal 2. Portals would now spawn instantanoiusly where ever the mouse was, and the projectile animation was just for show, preventing people from abusing what what demonstrated in the video. As an added saftey measure to prevent cheating, valve added a pushback to a respawning portal to prevent the player from scaling. however, this was taken advantage of and is now reffered to as portal bumping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyZ_9M8Ny-Y

It's a little hard to see, but if you've played the game long enough, you should know that gaining that height is impossible using conventional methods. The process of portal bumping is to shoot a portal 1 frame right outside of the exit portal, and the respawn push will give you the extra speed. But it's incredibly difficult, and it can only be done within that one frame (maybe two? but I know it has to be done when exiting).

So yeah, I'm simply requesting info on how Portals will be shot, and requesting that portal bumping be added.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 06 May 2013, 09:06

Mari0 uses portals that are created by the projectiles. Additionally, players are bumped out of portals but that does not affect the speed of the player.

kevansevans

Post » 06 May 2013, 17:34

No, no. My request is to have the addition of speed when being bumped. This can open so many doors to challenging maps.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 06 May 2013, 18:08

Nah, sorry.

kevansevans

Post » 07 May 2013, 03:25

Alrighty then, thanks for the consideration.