No Mari0 SE, maybe Mari0 1.7?

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
B-Man99

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 21:17

I sent an email to stabyourself.net a few weeks ago and a also started a discussion on Discus underneath the hiatus announcement, which sparked many replies, but you seem to be dead set on the fact that Mari0 SE is on hiatus because on the online multiplayer, the biggest feature. Why not release a Mari0 1.7 with the other stuff like excursion funnels, grating, and everything else BESIDES online multiplayer? I know a lot of people that were looking forward to those features and that WEREN'T EVEN INTERESTED in online multiplayer. I really don't want to have to wait months for a feature I wouldn't even use.

EDIT: As I said in the post below, I really didn't mean very much by this. I am not at all mad or trying to be pushy. I just was hoping for more of an answer and I got one. I am confident that the game won't be on hiatus forever, and keep up the good work guys!
Last edited by B-Man99 on 09 May 2013, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

Firaga

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 21:24

He doesn't want to release an unfinished product.

In layman's terms : No.

Automatik

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 22:06

Also, most games have the singleplayer & the multiplayer share the same codebase.
Maybe it's the same for Mari0: The bugs that keep multiplayer from being usable also affect singleplayer.
It's just an hypothesis.

Camewel

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 23:04

The problem isn't that online multiplayer isn't finished, it's that a lot isn't finished. There are bugs, things don't work right, it's not in a releasable state. And he doesn't have the motivation to put it into a releasable state.
Either way, Maurice is the one with the code here, he can do what he wants and there isn't a whole lot anyone can do to stop him.

renhoek

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 04:19

It must be a lot of pressure knowing thousands of people are waiting for you to release an update, demanding demos and most people putting their community work on hold until SE is released. (also camewel what happened to that "2 months away" thing?)

ChrisGin

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 16:02

I don't really mind him taking his time, just as long as SE comes out before September, because I can get kinda bored by then

B-Man99

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 20:44

I wasn't saying I think he should release it right now, I'm just saying that if a lot IS done then I wouldn't want to wait for multiplayer, that's all. Sorry if I came across as complaining or anything

idiot9.0

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 21:31

He stated in one of the blog posts that multiplayer is the most anticipated feature of Mari0 SE, and he wouldn't be comfortable releasing SE without it.
So there's pretty much no chance he's gonna release any form of a Mari0 update until it's done.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 30 Apr 2013, 14:44

idiot9.0 wrote:He stated in one of the blog posts that multiplayer is the most anticipated feature of Mari0 SE, and he wouldn't be comfortable releasing SE without it.
So there's pretty much no chance he's gonna release any form of a Mari0 update until it's done.
This.

I feel like I shot myself in the knee by even announcing online multiplayer.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 30 Apr 2013, 14:49

Multiplayer was the big promise and not following up on it would be a mistake. Additionally, the map format changed (among other things) so it would have to move to a different number to clarify that older maps are not immediately compatible (basically it would HAVE to be 2.0, which basically makes it a major release).

I hope you don't mind if I quote your email as well. I've been taking my time with it since I wasn't too sure how to address everything.
Since the games you make are free and open source anyway, is there a reason why you couldn't just release the source code as is, even if not playable, and maybe the community could do something with it? There are so many Mari0 mods out there, it's not like there aren't enough people that would be able to do something with a .love (myself included). I really want to see the game grow, even if it can't be done the way it used to be. Maybe you could collect donations, maybe you could work WITH the community? I don't know, I just don't want to see fans lose interest because of the hiatus. And I really wanna see Mari0 SE's content. I personally wasn't even looking forward to the online multiplayer (I have no friends. No, just kidding). Thank you, and I'd like to be heard in this.
The game isn't exactly polished out at the moment. 1.6 is, if you consider everything, more stable. And relying on the community go make a working version just creates a lot of different versions and each of them are bound to change something that would make user content (especially maps) incompatible with each other.

We do collect donations, but they're completely anonymous and don't really give you anything back, because we decided to take a firm stance on that. Yes we could offer rewards for donating but ingame rewards are a bit stupid in that regard and for real world rewards, we might as well open a merchandise store with some extra margin on the prices.

SE's content is not finalized so it's not really suitable for showing.

slizzel2004

Post » 01 May 2013, 01:00

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 01 May 2013, 01:47

slizzel2004 wrote:Why dont you just get this?
Because it's laggy, it crashes, and barely does lag compensation for entities.

B-Man99

Post » 07 May 2013, 01:56

Okay cool thanks for the answers. I wasn't trying to complain or anything sorry if it came across that way. It's good to have a little more info. I'm really looking forward to the game and never forget how skilled you guys are because the other games are AMAZING!