A few more Mari0 inaccuracies.

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 19:08

I'm not sure if these have already been fixed for Mari0 Special Edition, but I felt like bring it up anyways considering this here is based on playing 1.6:

For one, in SMB, Hammer Bros. begin tossing their hammers almost immediately when they appear onscreen, in Mari0, there usually are short delays before a Hammer Bro initiates it's attack phase.

It's possible to get 1,000 points for every time you break a scale in SMB, which is nonexistent in Mari0.

Camewel

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 19:32

If he wanted the game to be a perfect replica of SMB (+ portal stuff), he wouldn't have made the screen 16:9. The timing of the hammers is probably more accurate like this because they come on the screen before they should.

copy

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 22:40

Justin... No, just no.

Mari0Maker

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 22:48

Mari0 doesn't have to be a perfect replica of Super Mario Bros..
The imperfections and additions are what makes it interesting. :)

If you want it to be a perfect replica, then make a mod.

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 22:59

aveond wrote:Justin... No, just no.
What's wrong?
Camewel wrote:If he wanted the game to be a perfect replica of SMB (+ portal stuff), he wouldn't have made the screen 16:9. The timing of the hammers is probably more accurate like this because they come on the screen before they should.
For the record, when you go all the way to the right side of the screen before it starts scrolling, it's the same width as when you're in the center of the screen in SMB1, nine blocks.
Mari0Maker wrote:Mari0 doesn't have to be a perfect replica of Super Mario Bros..
The imperfections and additions are what makes it interesting. :)

If you want it to be a perfect replica, then make a mod.
Additions yes, imperfections no. The only thing I want to be inconsistent with SMB1 and Mari0 are the physics, since they're more slippery in SMB1 and jumping onto some tight openings two or three blocks in height usually will kill you if there's no floors below (if you've played Lost Levels, you may be able to identify this).

Qcode

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 23:09

Superjustinbros wrote:
aveond wrote:Justin... No, just no.
What's wrong?
Perfection a good thing to aim for, but there is a point where it's close enough.

idiot9.0

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 23:35

The hammer bros work just fine, and I'm sure you're the only one who actually gives a damn about the lifts giving points.
Honestly, a few inaccuracies are fine. The game still looks and plays like how SMB1 did and it's still fun to play.

rokit

Post » 13 Mar 2013, 00:00

the first one doesn't seem to be too much of a serious issue.

Turtle95

Post » 13 Mar 2013, 00:03

rokit boy wrote:the first one doesn't seem to be too much of a serious issue.
Neither of them are. Justinbros, it's not like if Maurice doesn't do that stuff then the world's gonna end/zombie apocalypse/world war 3 will happen. So calm yourself about these things. It's not gonna be exact, so like everyone's saying but summed up, deal with it.

TripleXero

Post » 13 Mar 2013, 00:09

I think that the Hammer Bros. do need some work, although it might not be what was said above. They seem a lot easier to get by than they were in the original game, but maybe I just got better against them

Turtle95

Post » 13 Mar 2013, 00:14

TripleXero wrote:I think that the Hammer Bros. do need some work, although it might not be what was said above. They seem a lot easier to get by than they were in the original game, but maybe I just got better against them
Probably because the keyboard + mouse configuration + playing video games = good reflexes. But maybe they are easier to get by.

Franpa

Post » 13 Mar 2013, 04:40

Superjustinbros wrote:I'm not sure if these have already been fixed for Mari0 Special Edition, but I felt like bring it up anyways considering this here is based on playing 1.6:

For one, in SMB, Hammer Bros. begin tossing their hammers almost immediately when they appear onscreen, in Mari0, there usually are short delays before a Hammer Bro initiates it's attack phase.
I believe the 16x9 aspect ratio is one side effect that causes this since they appear on screen earlier then they usually do but that was already suggested so my theory is that you are comparing the game on an emulator that always emulates the game a specific way (Memory address values etc. are scrambled each time you turn a real console on unlike in virtually every emulator). If my memory serves me correctly the game on an actual console can have hammer bros that don't attack straight away as well as numerous other random timing stuff that slightly changes each time you power the console on.

TripleXero

Post » 13 Mar 2013, 07:02

Franpa wrote:If my memory serves me correctly the game on an actual console can have hammer bros that don't attack straight away as well as numerous other random timing stuff that slightly changes each time you power the console on.
I was screwing with a SMB rom earlier and put a Hammer Bros. in as early as possible in 1-1 and watched the demo. Some times, he'd get killed by a hammer instantly, some times he'd get hit a few later, and the rest the Hammer Bros. would jump on his head. I don't think that thing with console vs. emulator is true, though, but I could be wrong

Giga

Post » 13 Mar 2013, 17:22

TripleXero wrote:I was screwing with a SMB rom earlier and put a Hammer Bros. in as early as possible in 1-1 and watched the demo. Some times, he'd get killed by a hammer instantly, some times he'd get hit a few later, and the rest the Hammer Bros. would jump on his head. I don't think that thing with console vs. emulator is true, though, but I could be wrong
Did you try looking at the first time the demo plays, closing the emulator, opening it again, and watching the first demo again, to see if it's exactly the same? Because there's no doubt that the memory is going to be different if you just watch the demo play multiple times. There's an ingame random number generator for that. Franpa's point was that each time you turn the game on it's exactly the same in emulation, but not on console.

Camewel

Post » 30 Mar 2013, 12:03

I like this spambot. Can we keep him?

Franpa

Post » 30 Mar 2013, 17:01

Camewel wrote:I like this spambot. Can we keep him?
Who? Yourself?

Firaga

Post » 30 Mar 2013, 17:03

Franpa wrote:
Who? Yourself?
No, there was a spambot here earlier, that said...
Justin... No, just no.
...pretty much copying aveond.

Franpa

Post » 30 Mar 2013, 17:25

Firaga41 wrote:
Franpa wrote:
Who? Yourself?
No, there was a spambot here earlier, that said...
Justin... No, just no.
...pretty much copying aveond.
Oh, okay.