The coin as an entity.

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
HansAgain

Post » 03 Mar 2013, 20:06

Why not?
To put the coin in front of the tiles like in NSMBU:

Or in NSMB (i don't have an image but i have played it).

Superjustinbros

Post » 03 Mar 2013, 20:14

And it can prove useful for making single coin brick blocks, which Super Mario Bros. Crossover, a flash game of all things (which is less powerful than LOVE, at least to my knowledge) does have.

idiot9.0

Post » 04 Mar 2013, 01:41

I'm absolutely positive that this has been suggested many, many times before you. Most of those times most likely have been by SJB.

Camewel

Post » 04 Mar 2013, 03:39

Superjustinbros wrote:And it can prove useful for making single coin brick blocks, which Super Mario Bros. Crossover, a flash game of all things (which is less powerful than LOVE, at least to my knowledge) does have.
I think your obsession with single coin blocks is bordering on insanity.

renhoek

Post » 04 Mar 2013, 03:42

Camewel wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote:And it can prove useful for making single coin brick blocks, which Super Mario Bros. Crossover, a flash game of all things (which is less powerful than LOVE, at least to my knowledge) does have.
isn't it possible to do now with customization in SE?

Smear-Gel

Post » 05 Mar 2013, 15:01

I fully hope that single coin entities do exist now though.

Since every entity has a drop down menu now I can assume you can set the multi coin entity to only give 1 coin anyways.

Franpa

Post » 05 Mar 2013, 20:31

Isn't it already possible to do this? Sub levels already have coins that you simply walk in to to collect.

Superjustinbros

Post » 05 Mar 2013, 20:54

Coins are basically tiles just like all the other stuff in the game, it disappears upon player contact, and adds one coin to the player's total. Therefore since it's a tile, it cannot be placed over other tiles (the NES didn't support overlaying tiles, and neither did Super Mario World when it came to coins and certain other tiles), otherwise there would be cutoff.

Naturally this would be the result if you tried to place coins over other tiles:

With the single coin entity placed on the four non-solid tiles and the remainder of the coins being the tile-based ones, you'd instead get this:

If the single coin entity is placed on a background/non-solid tile, the coin is drawn in front of that tile and can be picked up normally. If placed inside a tile that has both "Collision" and "Breakable" properties enabled, the coin goes inside the breakable block and can be hit just like a "?" block, releasing a single coin.

Oh, and you can't make a double coin by placing both the coin tile and coin entity on the same tile.

Camewel

Post » 05 Mar 2013, 21:13

Superjustinbros wrote:Oh, and you can't make a double coin by placing both the coin tile and coin entity on the same tile.
Remind me, when did Maurice appoint you chief design choice guy? Double coins are the only reason I even wanted this idea. :(

TurretBot

Post » 06 Mar 2013, 02:06

Camewel wrote:
Also his obsession with...
Well, practically any new feature he wants...
And making things perfect...
And updating levels a bajillion times...

renhoek

Post » 06 Mar 2013, 09:56

Turret Opera wrote:And making things perfect...
how are these bad exactly?

Superjustinbros

Post » 06 Mar 2013, 16:56

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:And making things perfect...
how are these bad exactly?
I was going to ask that very same question earlier.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 02:54

Unlike anyone else, you don't learn to code and sort it out yourself. You complain. You complain about incorrect colour pallets and features you want others to code.

Qcode

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 03:41

Couldn't have been said better.

Superjustinbros

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 03:58

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:Unlike anyone else, you don't learn to code and sort it out yourself. You complain. You complain about incorrect colour pallets and features you want others to code.
Qcode wrote:Couldn't have been said better.
Ugh, and I just had a situation like this on deviantART, where it's simply impossible for me to learn coding myself unless I were to take a form of class. I was trying to get into one back in Janruary, but for whatever reason I singed off it.

Critiquing and complaining are two distinct things. Critiquing is when I try to politely ask, complaining is when I do the above but make it sound like a shitfit. Do you think all I've said in the past other than that popularity contest uncivil? Do you see me giving you a "the reason you suck" speech anytime soon and turning an entire thread into an attack against one person?

Qcode

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 04:21

Superjustinbros wrote: Ugh, and I just had a situation like this on deviantART, where it's simply impossible for me to learn coding myself unless I were to take a form of class. I was trying to get into one back in Janruary, but for whatever reason I singed off it.
Dude, I'm 14 and I can understand code.
Saying you can't learn without taking some fancy class means nothing. I'm completely self taught, and I have a pretty good grip of Lua now. You're going to have to start small. The first project I wanted to do: an awesome 2D shooter with tons of different options and shop features. This is what my first project was: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=79. If you try a big project as your first programming project, you're going to fail.
Lua is a great first programming language. Löve is a great first game engine. You can start out small, and later make things that are amazing. Believe it or not, a custom engine is one of the hardest things that one could program, it should not be your first project.
Start here And read all the way to the end of chapter 7 (Use this if you want to experiment without downloading Lua). Then read chapter 11. That's what you're going to be using 99% of the time.
Go to the Löve wiki and start reading that. You should read this first, then the next tutorial should be the Hamster Ball tutorial.
Once you've completed all of that, Congratulations! You've officially earned some of that programming knowledge that's unlearnable without a class.
Or you can not do that, even with all of this help presented to you. Your choice.

TripleXero

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 04:50

The game could be modded to do this if someone really wanted it badly, but then the mappacks only work with that specific mod, which does get annoying. Learning how to code could be useful, but making suggestions to the main game makes more sense when it's tiny things that could have a chance being changed/added in

Superjustinbros

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 05:18

TripleXero wrote:The game could be modded to do this if someone really wanted it badly, but then the mappacks only work with that specific mod, which does get annoying. Learning how to code could be useful, but making suggestions to the main game makes more sense when it's tiny things that could have a chance being changed/added in
Especially in cue with SE's multiplayer. One player doesn't have a required mod? Wham, everyone's kicked out. The Custom entities feature will really be a big help with multiplayer, and it should be easier to configure than learning how to mod in LOVE.

Speaking of LOVE, I actually remember someone on the forums saying that LOVE was actually a very disastrous game engine when you put it up with something like Game Maker.

Qcode

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 05:26

Please tell me that was sarcasm. Please. Saying that love is disastrous compared to game maker is like saying that a Rubik's Cube is disastrous compared to a jigsaw puzzle. They're both puzzles, but one is designed for the user to think.
A comparison done: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8656&p=53365

Superjustinbros

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 15:40

Qcode wrote:Please tell me that was sarcasm. Please. Saying that love is disastrous compared to game maker is like saying that a Rubik's Cube is disastrous compared to a jigsaw puzzle. They're both puzzles, but one is designed for the user to think.
A comparison done: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8656&p=53365
Why don't we just leave this whole game about me being unable to program even when someone four years younger could learn programming (somehow being unable to figure out the coding of another user) and continue to gush over what's wrong with protection and updating something so many times?

Smear-Gel

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 16:31

To be honest SJB is a pretty civil guy and I think he's cool (except when he starts talking about shell puzzles or minecraft or how much better aorza is than 0'brothers every damn time 0'brothers is mentioned) and saying that one person learned coding and so everyone in the world should be able to learn it with the same ease is silly. And both jigsaw puzzles and rubix cubes require thinking.

Also , SJB's like the tileset king here.

Double coins would be a side effect of single coin entities but people could do some pretty cool things with it.
Last edited by Smear-Gel on 07 Mar 2013, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

ucenna

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 16:37

b-b-b-ut, A0zora is better than 0' Brothers! Since when did he start braggin about A0zora being better anyway?

Superjustinbros

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 18:49

This should be some proof towards 0'Bros' flaws, as provided by our drear friend renhoek.
viewtopic.php?p=36502#p36502

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 07 Mar 2013, 18:53

Great job, guys.