Ubuntu/Debian package! (RPM is WIP: Fedora users needed!)

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 11 Dec 2012, 08:47

Okay, all you Ubuntu and Debian users, BE HAPPY! I've just made a Debian package out of Mari0! (Fedora users, please skip to the bottom of the post.)
It still requires you to install Love, but if it gets requested enough, I'll build a fully stand-alone package. (I got bored, and made this just for fun. Read this post for more info.)

Easy choose: click the icon that corresponds to the package you want!
ImageImageImage

The Downloads: (12.04 only)
32-bit
64-bit
Source

I will probably not be providing support for other versions, and here's why:
12.04 is an LTS release. This means that you get updates for an extended period of time. The only main reason that people don't upgrade their OS is that they would end up using a non-LTS release if they upgraded. (unless, of course, you have a special reason...)
Summary of unsupported versions:
11.10 and lower are outdated. There's an LTS release that's newer than them.
12.10 is not yet supported by Love, so... well... it wouldn't make sense to release a game... if the framework weren't out yet... would it?
If anybody puts in a request for a backport, though, I'll be happy to oblige. (NOTE: see below for more info.)

I have successfully converted this package to a .rpm with alien, (I say "successfully," I mean "it didn't give any errors yet..." ;) but I'll need some Fedora users as guinea pigs. Please PM me if you're willing to volunteer.

Care to support this? Go to Control Panel>Profile>Signature and paste this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://forum.stabyourself.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2727][size=200][b]Mari0 Debian Package! (RPM is WIP! Fedora testers needed!)[/b][/size]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ckef3.png[/img][/url]
This will appear on your profile page:
Mari0 Debian Package! (RPM is WIP! Fedora testers needed!)

SIGNATURES ARE NO LONGER DISPLAYED UNDER POSTS!!! IF YOU WANT TO PROTEST THIS, PLEASE GO HERE.

P.S., I'll include a (relatively) neat feature once I get 3 replies on this topic.
NOTE: I'm not just reply-begging. There's an actual, valid reason for this. What is it? Well, why don't you go find out... ;)

Done! Enjoy the easy-choose package selector!
Last edited by JamesTheAwesomeDude on 29 Dec 2012, 06:41, edited 10 times in total.

Mari0Maker

Post » 11 Dec 2012, 22:46

Maybe I can download Ubuntu some time and try this. :)

TripleXero

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 00:05

It's awesome that you got this working so other OS's can use it. Also, I think signatures are disabled on this forum, either that or I somehow disabled them

Camewel

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 00:13

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:It still requires you to install Love
The current version of Mari0 for Linux requires you to install Love still. What extra does this do?
JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:P.S., I'll include a (relatively) neat feature once I get 3 replies on this topic.
NOTE: I'm not just reply-begging. There's an actual, valid reason for this. What is it? Well, why don't you go find out... ;)
Unless it's "Posts from the topic" (which would be a really silly feature) there's no reason you need 3 replies to add it. But I guess we're going to find out now anyway.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 01:46

Camewel wrote:
JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:[...]It still requires you to install Love
The current version of Mari0 for Linux requires you to install Love still. What extra does this do?
This allows you to install with a quick download, and uninstall with a quick command. It adds the game to the launcher, makes it easily accesible by all users, and simplifies setup overall.
Camewel wrote:
JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:P.S., I'll include a (relatively) neat feature once I get 3 replies on this topic.
Unless it's "Posts from the topic" (which would be a really silly feature) there's no reason you need 3 replies to add it. But I guess we're going to find out now anyway.
Okay, take a look! It's ready! :)

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 01:51

TripleXero wrote:It's awesome that you got this working so other OS's can use it. Also, I think signatures are disabled on this forum, either that or I somehow disabled them
No; turns out that some moderator disabled them forum-wide:
Camewel wrote:Signatures have been disabled because they add very little and clog up the page.
I guess some people don't understand that if you don't like signatures, you can turn them off. (You'd think a moderator would know better...)

Camewel

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:05

I like how you seem to think I'm a moderator and that I singlehandedly turned them off.
When a decision gets made around here, it's all Saso. Maurice may claim to have some input but it's always all Saso.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 11:02

Camewel wrote:Maurice may claim to have some input but it's always all Saso.
:(

popcan12

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 12:41

So what your saying is, Camewel, that ALL the decisions that get made are by Saso! Saso is web design, and remember, it's almost all Maurice on Mari0 and the others.

renhoek

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 13:14

popcan12 wrote:So what your saying is, Camewel, that ALL the decisions that get made are by Saso! Saso is web design, and remember, it's almost all Maurice on Mari0 and the others.
Where did he say Saso made mari0 and "the others" (gee I wander what game you care about here is :P)

Camewel

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 16:18

popcan12 wrote:So what your saying is, Camewel, that ALL the decisions that get made are by Saso! Saso is web design, and remember, it's almost all Maurice on Mari0 and the others.
Camewel wrote:When a decision gets made around here
Mari0 isn't around here, it's over there.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 17:42

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:
Where did he say Saso made mari0 and "the others" (gee I wander what game you care about here is :P)
HEY! HOW DID YOU GET YOUR SIGNATURE???
I want one... ;(

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I just saw that they were re-allowed. :}

renhoek

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 17:47

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:re-allowed.
*allowed (this is the first time they've been allowed here.)

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 27 Dec 2012, 04:05

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:
JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:re-allowed.
*allowed (this is the first time they've been allowed here.)
*re-disabled. :(

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 27 Dec 2012, 05:21

Okay, I made a bunch of backports (all the way back to Maverick,) and also some packages with Love included.

As soon as I get some help on this, I'll be publishing the magnet link! (I'm having problems with MediaFire, and I don't want to waste my precious dropbox space on a bunch of backports...)

The torrent will contain -
  • Backports, all the way back to Maverick.
  • LÖVE built-in to all of them.
  • 32-bit and 64-bit versions of all releases.
As soon as I get some help making the torrent, I'll release this! :)