Blogpost: Full Screen

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Mari0Maker

Post » 21 Nov 2012, 21:46

Blogpost wrote:Ever since Mari0 was released, people have been requesting the ability to run the game in fullscreen mode. I’ve always been against this since Mari0 uses a 400x224 base resolution which can’t be easily scaled for any resolution.

The solution is either: Change the base resolution by showing more/less blocks on the screen at the same time, something I can’t do because it would change gameplay, or scale the game with unrounded factors, but I really don’t like scaled pixel art.

I caved in though and added both letterbox and streched fullscreen to SE. You can chose any scaling factor that fits on your screen and going any further will make it go fullscreen. I put up a quick comparison between letterbox, which preserves the aspect ratio, and stretch, which fills up the whole screen, below.
Screenshot:

I have to say, Letterbox is much better then Strecthed.
I did notice somthing on the title screen though... What happened to Level Editor? :P

rokit

Post » 21 Nov 2012, 21:54

Probably the level editor will be a button like "Edit Level" next to a mappack in select mappack

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 06:02

Where's the editor function? :B

renhoek

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 07:04

Superjustinbros wrote:Where's the editor function? :B
I'm guessing it'll be a side option for when you go into select mappack.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 09:51

I seriously don't know yet.
It's currently toggled with "t" like in the early alphas because I don't know where to put it.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 16:35

I'd suggest the menu could scroll along with the player's selection, like at first Options doesn't appear, then when you move the cursor down, "#Player(s)" becomes hidden and Options appears, and scrolling back up re-reveals "#Player(s)" but re-hides Options.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 16:43

Superjustinbros wrote:I'd suggest the menu could scroll along with the player's selection, like at first Options doesn't appear, then when you move the cursor down, "#Player(s)" becomes hidden and Options appears, and scrolling back up re-reveals "#Player(s)" but re-hides Options.
That's terribly unintuitive (tuitive?).

Shadoo

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 16:43

Superjustinbros wrote:I'd suggest the menu could scroll along with the player's selection, like at first Options doesn't appear, then when you move the cursor down, "#Player(s)" becomes hidden and Options appears, and scrolling back up re-reveals "#Player(s)" but re-hides Options.
Reminds me of how Sonic 2's debug code works.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 16:49

Shadoo wrote:
Reminds me of how Sonic 2's debug code works.
That's what I was going to bring up when I was writing the suggestion.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 17:09

In my eyes there would be a "Play game" option with 'online play' and '1>Player game' options. It wouldn't slow you down enough for anyone to really care much and it would give the 'level editor' slot back in the menu. That's just what I picture though.

TripleXero

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 18:32

I liked rokit boy's idea that there would be a button right next to the map in map selection

rokit

Post » 22 Nov 2012, 21:10

TripleXero wrote:I liked rokit boy's idea that there would be a button right next to the map in map selection
yay im world famous.
but seriously, i think that is better because you have to select mappack and then go on level editor. and it wont be hard to do do either.

Franpa

Post » 23 Nov 2012, 12:09

rokit boy wrote:
TripleXero wrote:I liked rokit boy's idea that there would be a button right next to the map in map selection
yay im world famous.
but seriously, i think that is better because you have to select mappack and then go on level editor. and it wont be hard to do do either.
This way makes it an extra button click and possibly more complex menu navigation, making it needlessly more annoying to quickly switch between playing a level and editing a level. I prefer grouping offline and online modes in to there own sub menu and having the level editor available from the main menu like it was in v1.6.

Unless it was changed so you can switch between sub-levels and levels while testing via the test mode, it is still going to be a little annoying to do a thorough test within the level editor.

rokit

Post » 23 Nov 2012, 19:31

Wow 1 button makes it more complex menu navigation and makes it annoying?
Dammit, screw the menu and make everything key binded.

TripleXero

Post » 23 Nov 2012, 19:57

One little button isn't going to make anything complex at all. This is just an image I made, not actually real, but to show what could be done

rokit

Post » 23 Nov 2012, 20:06

I thought it would be more to the side.

TripleXero

Post » 23 Nov 2012, 23:01

I was thinking that, too, but then I remembered that there's that box on the side that explains DLC and where mappacks are. Then again, the spot I placed it wouldn't work well either, since there's some mappacks that have long descriptions

Franpa

Post » 24 Nov 2012, 10:34

rokit boy wrote:Wow 1 button makes it more complex menu navigation and makes it annoying?
If you want to test your map pack from start to finish you will want to be able to do that while simultaneously being able to quickly enter the level editor and edit the level when you encounter a level design problem.

- In v1.6 you open a level and play through it, have a problem? Escape and choose the level editor and bam, done, you are now editing the area you encountered the problem in. (Esc, Down, Enter)

- If you were to take TripleXero's idea you would instead have to press Escape, choose Map Packs, Navigate to where your map pack is in the list and choose to edit it. I assume the option will open the level editor and default to displaying level 1-1 so you would have to, within the level editor, choose the level/sub-level you want to edit. I assume that because of how the option is presented to the user. (Esc, Down, Down, Enter, highlight appropriate map pack, use whatever button to press the Edit Map Pack button)

- Having the option on the side in the Map Pack screen to edit the current level/sub-level the player is on would be okay, I guess. Then it is just 3 more button presses but whatever. (Esc, Down, Down, Enter, Across, Enter)

rokit

Post » 24 Nov 2012, 17:32

Franpa wrote:
rokit boy wrote:Wow 1 button makes it more complex menu navigation and makes it annoying?
If you want to test your map pack from start to finish you will want to be able to do that while simultaneously being able to quickly enter the level editor and edit the level when you encounter a level design problem.

- In v1.6 you open a level and play through it, have a problem? Escape and choose the level editor and bam, done, you are now editing the area you encountered the problem in. (Esc, Down, Enter)

- If you were to take TripleXero's idea you would instead have to press Escape, choose Map Packs, Navigate to where your map pack is in the list and choose to edit it. I assume the option will open the level editor and default to displaying level 1-1 so you would have to, within the level editor, choose the level/sub-level you want to edit. I assume that because of how the option is presented to the user. (Esc, Down, Down, Enter, highlight appropriate map pack, use whatever button to press the Edit Map Pack button)

- Having the option on the side in the Map Pack screen to edit the current level/sub-level the player is on would be okay, I guess. Then it is just 3 more button presses but whatever. (Esc, Down, Down, Enter, Across, Enter)
If you were testing a mappack wouldn't you use test level? (as the name suggests) and not exit the mappack editor then select the mappack.

Franpa

Post » 24 Nov 2012, 18:10

rokit boy wrote:
Franpa wrote:

If you were testing a mappack wouldn't you use test level? (as the name suggests) and not exit the mappack editor then select the mappack.
Well like I said in my post, if it remains like in v1.6 then you can't use it to test if you have the levels and sub-levels linked correctly as it boots you out of test mode the instant you try a pipe/vine.