[Suggestion] ?-Brick Blocks

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Superjustinbros

Post » 03 Nov 2012, 20:42

After playing some Kid Chameleon earlier today, I thought about a concept on having ? blocks that were also brick blocks that could be destroyed. Essentially it would work under one of two rules:

*The ?-brick block drops any item inside on the block's bottomside and is destroyed simultaneously. If it's a multi-coin block, it breaks on the final coin.
*The ?-brick block works alike a standard ? block, producing the item on the block's top, and then becomes a basic brick block that can be destroyed.

Here's a spritesheet and animation.

Bonko

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 00:03

The question marks are too fastly animated. You should slow them down a tad.

renhoek

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 00:48

neat idea sjb

and bonko you're missing the point

Shadoo

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 02:15

I'll be honest here.
I like the idea, but it's completely pointless and not needed.
Like i said before, we don't need more stuff for Maurice to work on.

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 02:55

I know, but this idea doesn't seem to be something that'd take a fortnight to program, and could lead to some clever level designs.
How about we try this:
The entire room is not portable; you are forced to take a Super Mushroom from the basic ? Block to break away the brick blocks that block the only exit. Here, a single ? brick block acts as a step to reach the red pipe,which takes you to an easier route compared to the green pipe's destination, which takes you to a harder route. The catch, is that inside the "?" block is a Fire Flower, so your choice is to abandon the Fire Flower all together and take the easy route, or accept the Fire Flower and be forced into the harder route. It is not possible to abuse Portals in this room as the Grills are placed in such a way to block access to any and all portable surfaces the first room has. And let's say this is on single player and there is no Super Leaf in the mappack being played.

I understand Mari0: Special Edition is very close to release, but this is only a suggestion incase any update post-SE (v2.1, standard SE is considered by me to be v2.0) could incorporate this mechanic.

P.S. Just found out my custom mod forbids me from typing/displaying not only exclamation marks, but even question marks as well. >_<
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 04 Nov 2012, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

renhoek

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 04:22

Shadoo wrote:I'll be honest here.
I think maurice does his own thing (remember the see through portal update as far as I'm aware of no one suggested that) so I don't see why everyone should stop suggesting.

besides wouldn't more features be better than a rushed release.

Camewel

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 05:05

The guy who made ASCII Portal requested he add that on another forum.
But he's still free to add whatever he feels like.

Shadoo

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 07:41

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:
I think maurice does his own thing (remember the see through portal update as far as I'm aware of no one suggested that) so I don't see why everyone should stop suggesting.

besides wouldn't more features be better than a rushed release.
You're not getting my point.
Making more stuff for Maurice to add into the game would slow SE's release down. We don't need to push it into next year.
Stop trying to prove me wrong.

idiot9.0

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 07:49

OFF TOPIC:
Shadoo wrote:You're not getting my point.
Making more stuff for Maurice to add into the game would slow SE's release down. We don't need to push it into next year.
Look, I'mma be honest. We all want SE. But that doesn't mean we should stop suggesting things just because we want it. Suggestions are always nice and if they're good enough by Maurice's standards, what's an extra day or so to have it implemented into the game? Until Maurice makes a post saying "NO MORE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE BECAUSE THEY ALL SUCK", suggestions are always welcome whether or not it slows down progress.
Stop being so arrogant and shooting down ideas just because you want SE faster.

ON TOPIC:
I found the design of the brick silly at first, but I think this could be a good idea to have. Could be used for some clever puzzles if done right. It's at least mod-worthy if anything.

rokit

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 16:57

Well, this isn't really hard to make, Maurice would do it in about 5 seconds max.
*Shadoo mode activate* *boop*
We cantz haz suggestionz becoz SE wont come quicly

lolpoop89

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 18:00

This is a nice Idea an I can see it being used to produce great content, as for the slowing SE down thing it wouldn't really matter, it doesn't take long to code this type of thing if you are Maurice.

Smear-Gel

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 18:04

But why can't someone just make a breakable question mark custom tile and put the mushroom entity in it now? Wouldn't that work the same way? Or am I forgetting something...

lolpoop89

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 18:08

Smear-Gel wrote:But why can't someone just make a breakable question mark custom tile and put the mushroom entity in it now? Wouldn't that work the same way? Or am I forgetting something...
but when you hit the block it wouldn't break after dispensing the mushroom.

Smear-Gel

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 18:24

lolpoop89 wrote:but when you hit the block it wouldn't break after dispensing the mushroom.

Oh. Okay then.

popcan12

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 20:02

Well, if they included this feature, wouldn't the release date have to be delayed by about a week?

Shadoo

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 20:05

popcan12 wrote:Well, if they included this feature, wouldn't the release date have to be delayed by about a week?
My point exactly.
Come on, guys, you need to think.

Smear-Gel

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 20:16

Is a week really that long?

I can see it being a problem if tonnes of things that would take a week are done and the time starts adding up, but that won't be the case.

But a week of waiting for a very interesting puzzle feature (I particularly like that choose a powerup or easy path idea) that could be really useful doesn't seem to bad.

Or someone could just mod it. Or we could wait until Mari0: SE version 1.71 or whatever. Those could be ideas too.

Camewel

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:18

popcan12 wrote:Well, if they included this feature, wouldn't the release date have to be delayed by about a week?
I can't imagine this would take Maurice more than 15 minutes. A week is stupid.

TheSeek

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:28

Shadoo wrote:
My point exactly.
Come on, guys, you need to think.
i dont think it will take a week, but even assuming it will, if that's exactly your point then I guess you didn't understand what's the everyone else's point: a nice and good feature is worth the wait of 1 more week.

Franpa

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 22:30

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:
To elaborate

- Someone suggests an idea
- Maurice never thought of that idea or took such an idea in to consideration
- Maurice likes the idea
- Maurice implements the idea

If no one suggested anything then that first step wouldn't happen and Maurice would have to depend entirely on his own ideas.
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:besides wouldn't more features be better than a rushed release.
I'd rather a polished release then either of those.
Shadoo wrote:You're not getting my point.
Superjustinbros wrote:I understand Mari0: Special Edition is very close to release, but this is only a suggestion incase any update post-SE (v2.1, standard SE is considered by me to be v2.0) could incorporate this mechanic.
I think this quote does a good job pointing out that every suggestion doesn't need to be implemented A.S.A.P. You've seen games with DLC right? Expansion packs? New content added in via patches?

v2.0 could exclude the feature and Maurice could implement it months after v2.0 came out, if he even wants the feature and call it v2.01.

renhoek

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 09:33

one week to implement one block?

TurretBot

Post » 06 Nov 2012, 22:42

no one week to make us feel bad for suggesting

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Nov 2012, 23:43

There is one other block I'd like to suggest aside from the ? Brick Blocks.

Invisible blocks that display their location with a white (black on bright backgrounds) outline. You can pass through this outline, but if you hit it, it becomes a visible Used block.

Some ROM hacks display this feature in action; mainly "Escape".

TurretBot

Post » 12 Nov 2012, 23:51

It's like trolling but it's their fault for not noticing.