See thru portals

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Jackostar10000

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 09:07

Will see through portals be stuck on? if so that seems really trippy how about a button to turn it on/off ingame? that may help because that looooks TRRRRIIIIPPPY

Mariobros2

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 09:54

I completely agree. Right now it does look kinda trippy.

rokit

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 12:09

it will be a cheat

WesleyB

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 16:02

In the stream he added transparancy to it. If this transparancy is set pretty low I can see it work without being a cheat actually.

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 21:08

See thru portals useless feature.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 21:56

NO IT'S NOT! It allows you to see through a portal at the beginning of the level if you don't know where you placed it, so you don't jump in and die.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 22:37

It does seem like it hides blocks behind it a little too much and in my mind is more rather than less confusing. On the other hand, damn it's cool. If this was an option or cheat I'd definitely at least give it a go.

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 23:15

U already see all portable map.

See thu portals just reduse ur vision to minimal and also it's fucking annoying. No one of u tested it with moving bullets, switching lasers and gel droppers

RWLabs

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 03:23

I think it'd be useful in places where an enemy or a huge fall is waiting for you on the other side. I died countless times by walking through a portal and falling/kissing a living mushroom so this will certainly prevent that.

And no one CAN test this with any of the stuff you mentioned because Maurice is the only human on the planet testing this feature.

Chippy348

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 07:47

This reminds me of this Spelunky mod...

renhoek

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 08:08

Chippy348 wrote:*pic
This reminds me of this Spelunky mod...
that's much more easier on the eyes
EDIT: am I the only one seeing a 3d effect in that image now?
Last edited by renhoek on 31 Oct 2012, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Franpa

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 10:57

I do not like the tinting of the view within portals, maybe if the intensity of the tint was reduced a bit it would be okay but as is currently demonstrated in the 2nd gif on the website I just don't like it. (Perhaps don't have the sky affected by the tint but everything else is?)

The 1st gif is okay, a bit odd/trippy looking but could be pretty cool. I'd have to experience it for my self before I can judge it properly.

If this is any indication of what it will be like for multiplayer then yeah I'd like to be able to toggle the effect on/off. Otherwise I'll suffer a nervous break down.

Edit: Though I think you'd only see your own view through a portal when playing online and the super trippy view would be for everyone playing on the same PC?

Pyrosaur

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 15:56

I think it would be nice of it would turn on when holding down a button. That way, you could just check what's on the other side for a second and quickly close it so that it would not interfere with gameplay.

Flutter Skye

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 16:34

Pyrosaur wrote:I think it would be nice of it would turn on when holding down a button. That way, you could just check what's on the other side for a second and quickly close it so that it would not interfere with gameplay.
+ 1 vote. that's would be better.

rokit

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 17:22

Superjustinbros

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 21:37

supermarioportal2 wrote:
Pyrosaur wrote:I think it would be nice of it would turn on when holding down a button. That way, you could just check what's on the other side for a second and quickly close it so that it would not interfere with gameplay.
Seconded. This feature can easily cause parts of the level to be blindfolded. Maybe if holding the "Use" key for more than half a second turns on the "see through portals" feature until you release the "Use" key.

Shadoo

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 21:40

Superjustinbros wrote:
supermarioportal2 wrote:
Seconded. This feature can easily cause parts of the level to be blindfolded. Maybe if holding the "Use" key for more than half a second turns on the "see through portals" feature until you release the "Use" key.
No.
New button.
Q key.
Toggles, not by holding.

Smear-Gel

Post » 01 Nov 2012, 01:23

Toggle sounds better, even though I personally would only be using it for a second before switching back.

Shadoo

Post » 01 Nov 2012, 03:58

Smear-Gel wrote:Toggle sounds better, even though I personally would only be using it for a second before switching back.
Options could have a way to turn toggle on/off, so you can play either way.

Franpa

Post » 02 Nov 2012, 13:23

Good job posting a link to something that was already linked to. Also good job on not adding anything of worth to the discussion.

Chippy348

Post » 02 Nov 2012, 13:46

Franpa wrote:
Good job posting a link to something that was already linked to. Also good job on not adding anything of worth to the discussion.
Good job for being an asshole

Anyway, here's something that "worth to the discussion": today, I wondered what will happened if you made an infinite loop, so I think that if Maurice keep that portal colors thing in the 2nd gif (and make you able to watch through a portal through a portal to a portal...), after each layer or something, the color will get darker.. (get it?)
I also have something else to say to make it look cool but cause explaining it will be a pain in the ass so I'll make some picture to make it easier to understand and post it here after I'm done...

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:08

1. Sometimes i played mari0 on original lvls and when i see 3 bullets flying to me i'll hate this vision cause it just difficult to understand what happens when bullets flying in 3 dimenshions in same time.
2. This "feauture" TAKES vision of ur monitor. So u just willcan't see anything usefull if u will place portal in bad place.
3. It's annoying feature
4. It's giving vision tru closed doors? WTF?

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:14

i played Portal 2 many times but i never used vision thru portals there and i can't understand what USEFULL giving this feature? Only useless effect wich doesn't change anything?
As for me will better if u'll add some features from Turtle's Mod

Camewel

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:21

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote:i played Portal 2 many times but i never used vision thru portals
You'd have to try rather hard not to now stop being silly and wait until you actually play it for yourself before jumping to conclusions.

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:28

Camewel wrote:
Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote:i played Portal 2 many times but i never used vision thru portals
You'd have to try rather hard not to now stop being silly and wait until you actually play it for yourself before jumping to conclusions.
Sometimes people don't try something, they just see than it's bad idea.

TheSeek

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:41

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote:i played Portal 2 many times but i never used vision thru portals there
......................let me explain it to you, in Portal 1 and 2 you see through portals everytime you get close to a portal...you know when you see what's on the other side of a portal before you go through it? that's the "vision through portals" so it's pretty much impossible you never used it, unless you never used portals in Portal 2.

Turtle95

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 21:44

TheSeek wrote:
Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote:i played Portal 2 many times but i never used vision thru portals there
......................let me explain it to you, in Portal 1 and 2 you see through portals everytime you get close to a portal...you know when you see what's on the other side of a portal before you go through it? that's the "vision through portals" so it's pretty much impossible you never used it, unless you never used portals in Portal 2.
"unless you never used portals in Portal 2."

That would be impossible itself. You can't not use portals, otherwise you wouldn't have played the game. I like the portals that are not shaded in (like the gif where it's just the portal colors on the outlines of "vision". That seems way easier to handle than the shaded in ones.

TheSeek

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 22:01

Turtle95 wrote: "unless you never used portals in Portal 2."

That would be impossible itself. You can't not use portals, otherwise you wouldn't have played the game.
it was sarcasm, it was on purpose...since you can't not use portals in portal 2, he had to use the "vision through portals"...

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote: Sometimes people don't try something, they just see than it's bad idea.
that's what Andrew Stuart Tanenbaum thought commenting Linus Torvalds' "Linux".

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 22:58

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote: As for me will better if u'll add some features from Turtle's Mod
While it can result in some good level design, the graphics for Turtle's new entities look very out of place, as they contain colors not modeled after the NES/Famicom's pallette. The Ice/Gold flowers especially.

Franpa

Post » 04 Nov 2012, 23:45

TheSeek wrote:

That would be impossible itself. You can't not use portals, otherwise you wouldn't have played the game.
it was sarcasm, it was on purpose...since you can't not use portals in portal 2, he had to use the "vision through portals"...
Unsure about Portal 2 but in the original Portal I believe you can disable the ability to look through portals in order to improve performance. (I might be wrong, it might limit you to being able to see through just one portal)

TheSeek

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 00:45

Franpa wrote: Unsure about Portal 2 but in the original Portal I believe you can disable the ability to look through portals in order to improve performance. (I might be wrong, it might limit you to being able to see through just one portal)
kinda...to improve the performances on very slow pc's, you could lower the Portal Render Depth settings to limit the number of rendered "worlds" you could see through a portal, and setting it to 0 makes the portals look like they are when you have set just one portal....or you could use DX7 through a batch file to get even faster performances on super slow pc's with the result of Portal Render Depth stuck at 0 without being able to change it, but as said it was a performance option(and a side effect of ultra low settings), not a game option.

Turtle95

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 06:20

TheSeek wrote:

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote: Sometimes people don't try something, they just see than it's bad idea.
that's what Andrew Stuart Tanenbaum thought commenting Linus Torvalds' "Linux".
I figured as much. But for his sake, I pointed it out.

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 06:59

i don't need to use Linux to know that it's for nerds or something like, you know :)
No one of u ever tested death so why u not want to die? xD

In Portal2 i used portals very offen but i never ever used the vision thru portals cause it was useless. I just placed portal in 2 places and use it.

This feature cannot be used for better lvl design

RWLabs

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 07:42

Not only did you call 76.5 million people nerds, but you seem to speak for all of us when you say that this feature cannot be used for a better level design. You don't. That's your personal opinion. As previously mentioned, see-through portals will prevent unnecessary deaths from not knowing what's on the other side. This feature could also be used in an elaborate way to look ahead or behind. That's not to mention the countless times that you forget where you placed your portal. All you have to do now is to plop a portal down and look through it.

And also, please remember that Maurice put his time and effort into this feature.
Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote:In Portal2 i used portals very offen but i never ever used the vision thru portals cause it was useless. I just placed portal in 2 places and use it.
Although I really want to comment on this, having never played Portal 2 I can't say I'm qualified to say anything.

TheSeek

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 08:32

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote:i don't need to use Linux to know that it's for nerds or something like, you know :)
it was a simple reference, but apparently you didn't get it
Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote: In Portal2 i used portals very offen but i never ever used the vision thru portals cause it was useless. I just placed portal in 2 places and use it.
We have a smart one here.... I'll make it even more easier: you place a portal, you place another portal, you go towards the first one, and right before you pass through it, what do you see? Ta-dah! You get to see what's on the other side of the portal you placed before! That's amazing, isn't it? And guess what? This is exactly the "vision thru portals"! Surprising uh? You use it everytime you go through a portal in every Portal game Valve has ever made...or maybe everytime you placed a portal you closed your eyes to pass through it? That's probably what you did, since it's a move for dumbs or something like, you know :)

I bet he won't understand this time either...
Not to mention that is just thanks to "nerds"(not just Linux related ones) that he(like everyone else) has a pc, internet, a cellphone, a tv, the lights in his house, and so on...

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 10:54

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri] wrote:1. Sometimes i played mari0 on original lvls and when i see 3 bullets flying to me i'll hate this vision cause it just difficult to understand what happens when bullets flying in 3 dimenshions in same time.
2. This "feauture" TAKES vision of ur monitor. So u just willcan't see anything usefull if u will place portal in bad place.
3. It's annoying feature
4. It's giving vision tru closed doors? WTF?

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 14:05

i used word "nerd" only cause Linux is OS wich knows as OS with mindfucking installation for anything. If u like to waste ur time - u can use it, but it's making u some kind of nerd.
So, it's only my opinion. U want visuall feature? Okay, do it . But it's useless.

Superjustinbros

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 14:55

I'll make my opinion a little more simple:

This feature should be a toggle on/off feature.

There.

Chippy348

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 15:20

Ok, so here's the suggestion I've talked about
Basically you can see through portals through portal, and the more you look in it the smaller, darker the view will be (I'm explaining it as well as I can)
Here are 2 examples:
Same place as one of those gif Maurice made, but with new stuff that you may notice: http://i.imgur.com/icLXI.png
Infinite loop (Warning: This one might be consider as big image): http://i.imgur.com/qNx53.png

Also a note that when you going through portals, the color will get darker/lighter respectively or something, you know what I mean
The other suggestion is just a minor thing but it's too hard to explain so I screw it anyway

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 17:16

Superjustinbros wrote:This feature should be a toggle on/off feature.
Nice compromise

Superjustinbros

Post » 06 Nov 2012, 14:53

I think I have another way this could work muh better than the way Maurice has it set up now.

You still get the same see-through effect, but it only covers a specific range as opposed to going all the way out to the edge of the screen. Google "Portal Pac-Man" and find the Russian fan game; it has this setup so it doesn't obstruct your view of other parts of a stage.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 06 Nov 2012, 20:34

Superjustinbros wrote:I think I have another way this could work muh better than the way Maurice has it set up now.

You still get the same see-through effect, but it only covers a specific range as opposed to going all the way out to the edge of the screen. Google "Portal Pac-Man" and find the Russian fan game; it has this setup so it doesn't obstruct your view of other parts of a stage.
I found that game recently. I agree that is a better way. I wish I could understand what the game says in Russian...

TheSeek

Post » 06 Nov 2012, 21:14

BobTheLawyer wrote:I wish I could understand what the game says in Russian...
If you mean what's written in the menu