Mario SE and community content

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 28 Oct 2012, 22:48

I want just ask one question. Will Mario SE have some interface for downloading mappacks and mods maden by community? As i think, i'll be perfect if players will see list with all of mappacks and mods (in ideal it'll be rated by players list) and we could possible to download any mappack or mode without wasting time.
Also it's very usefull.

Shadoo

Post » 28 Oct 2012, 23:03

I suggested this once.

Let's just say nobody took it kindly.

Filio

Post » 28 Oct 2012, 23:59

Wasting time... I really don't think opening then copy/pasting a folder is wasting much time at all.

There's a reason why only levels Maurice chooses are in the game.

Franpa

Post » 29 Oct 2012, 16:53

Filio wrote:Wasting time... I really don't think opening then copy/pasting a folder is wasting much time at all.

And for those that are too lazy, a front-end can be made by a incredibly generous community member to do it for you with a swanky GUI.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 29 Oct 2012, 19:59

Franpa wrote:
Filio wrote:Wasting time... I really don't think opening then copy/pasting a folder is wasting much time at all.

And for those that are too lazy, a front-end can be made by a incredibly generous community member to do it for you with a swanky GUI.
Can it? I mean maybe if they want to run a 24 hour server just incase someone doesn't feel like using the forums it could but dear god is downloading a zip that hard?

TripleXero

Post » 29 Oct 2012, 23:38

It'd be easier if real maps were more organized than scattered among other threads in the the Maps Section. I'd be willing to make a website for maps for easy finding, downloading, and rating, on my free time

EDIT: After about an hour of work, here's an example of what I'm talking about. If I really do end up doing this, there things I've thought about adding already. I also used Mari0Lu1g1's avatar as a placeholder since I didn't want to upload an image for it now

Smear-Gel

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 02:37

A Mari0 mappack database is in desparate need of being made, yes. Everything is scattered everywhere. It would make things easier to find and update and stuff.

Franpa

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 04:28

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
Franpa wrote:

Can it? I mean maybe if they want to run a 24 hour server just incase someone doesn't feel like using the forums it could but dear god is downloading a zip that hard?
Note the post I quoted and how it lacked any and all mention of hosting the data. A front-end can be made to make it easier to install map packs. If someone did end up making an online repository then the front-end can be updated to download and install from there (Or a competing front-end could).

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 12:18

I could write an essay on this, but here's something shorter.

It's on our minds. Don't count on it (especially any time soon) though.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 30 Oct 2012, 22:28

Franpa wrote: Note the post I quoted and how it lacked any and all mention of hosting the data. A front-end can be made to make it easier to install map packs. If someone did end up making an online repository then the front-end can be updated to download and install from there (Or a competing front-end could).
So how would you surgest it was made without any hosting? We could download a patch every time a mappack came out or we could host it. These are pretty much the only ways I can think of and as idea 1 would be more fail than not having it I thought idea 2 was what was being surgested.
TripleXero's idea is a great one. However it does remind me of all the wikis we set up but never maintained. I hope it won't end up like this and if he is tasked with this he knows what he's getting into.

Franpa

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 10:52

Well, I was saying that you can make a front-end that handles the installation of map packs for you. It doesn't do any downloading of any sort at all so the user must go online and download them them self. If someone was to create an online repository then the front-end can be updated to interact with and download from that repository if the owners of the repository gave the go ahead.

If I need to repeat what I was talking about a 3rd time, lemme know.

jokekid

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 02:38

another suggestion is to make a comunity "vault", im a super smash bros brawl modder as well, and almost ALL the mods are uploaded to one single server, with search engine and categories, if you want to check how it looks, here's a link:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php

Mari0Maker

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 03:51

jokekid wrote:another suggestion is to make a comunity "vault", im a super smash bros brawl modder as well, and almost ALL the mods are uploaded to one single server, with search engine and categories, if you want to check how it looks, here's a link:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php
That is a good idea to make it organized...

jokekid

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 22:01

of course it wouldnt need to be that elaborate, since we're talking about mappacks, so instead it could just have categories like puzzle, plattforming, kaizo... idk, just trying to give some ideas

Automatik

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 22:27

Currently, there is DLC.
The main problems are that :
-It's not even downloaded, but included in mari0.(Look at the dlc_* in the mappack folder of the source)
-Maurice/Saso has to add it manually. A website where you upload your mappack, and it appear in a "community" tab would be cool. (The problem is that they would need a bigger server, and time to remove junk mappack like "justatest" by "xXxfuckyouxXx" with just a random spam level)
-It load the mappack's background when you highlight it. It should be loaded when you press enter.(Sometimes, mappacks are very huge and take a lot of time to load.)

If all of this was solved, then it would be a perfect system for me.

jokekid

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 12:22

i think having a server based catalogue is better than built-in, anyone can easilly go the their mappacks folder, the main issue is FINDING the mappacks, and also, a very important thing about this is the freedom to upload whatever mappack you want (as long as it's urs of course) be it the best made ever, or just a 25 wide 2 tiles flat floor level...

Mari0Maker

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 20:14

If there is a page built on Stabyourself.net for Mappacks, and maybe even Mods, it should be like SMW Central.

Anyone can upload Mappacks and Mods, but, they have to get moderated.
But, like on SMW Central, you could download and play the ones that are being moderated, without them getting accepted first.
Just like SMW Central, it will have:

Title
Date Uploaded/Created
Creator (Stabyourself.net Forum Name)
Size
Ratings/Reviews

Everyone would have to upload at the least 1 screenshot, and a brief description.
I also think that Stabyourself.net Forum members can submit reviews and ratings, but non-Stabyourself.net Forum members can only submit ratings.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 21:44

I think Maurice did say something about all the mappack DLC being hosted, he just put them in the source too because there were some issues with it in one release.

Dark[Ol(U23)leneri]

Post » 18 Feb 2013, 00:22

There are many uwful mappacks wich i really don't want to see in Mari0