Pretty sure this is a bug.

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Shadoo

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 04:54

Standing on a light bridge that is placed by a portal 1 block under a horizontal Emancipation Grill doesn't get rid of it.
Haven't tested while small, but is this supposed to happen?

EDIT: No, ducking doesn't get rid of the portal either.

TheSeek

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 06:36

It works fine while small.
I dunno if not getting rid of portals(and hence of the lightbridge) while big and in the situation in the pic should happen, but there are a couple of work arounds: either crouch and then jump while crouching, or fall through the emancipation grill while being crouched(yeah I know, if the "get rid of portal by emancipating grill" effect is supposed to be a "trap", it would be nonsense to activate it voluntarily, but still) .

Shadoo

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 07:27

TheSeek wrote:It works fine while small.
I dunno if not getting rid of portals(and hence of the lightbridge) while big and in the situation in the pic should happen, but there are a couple of work arounds: either crouch and then jump while crouching, or fall through the emancipation grill while being crouched(yeah I know, if the "get rid of portal by emancipating grill" effect is supposed to be a "trap", it would be nonsense to activate it voluntarily, but still) .
I stated in my post that crouching does nothing, i tried it. Even jumping while crouched does nothing. And because the light bridge goes under the level, the grills are supposed to act as pits in theory, but this bug screwed some stuff up. If crouching did work and i was doing something wrong, who's gonna fall in the grill while crouching? Nobody.

Franpa

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 14:00

TheSeek wrote:It works fine while small.
Well if my theory is right, you can make the emancipation grills invisible by making them blend in graphically with the background! Thus it is totally possible to create a "trap". Especially with Mari0 SE which I believe lets you adjust the graphics of the emancipation grill?

TheSeek

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 17:22

Shadoo wrote: I stated in my post that crouching does nothing, i tried it.
I know what you said(you mentioned just ducking, not jumping while ducking).
Shadoo wrote: Even jumping while crouched does nothing.
I dunno what(or if) you're doing wrong, but:
Shadoo wrote: And because the light bridge goes under the level, the grills are supposed to act as pits in theory, but this bug screwed some stuff up. If crouching did work and i was doing something wrong, who's gonna fall in the grill while crouching? Nobody.
That's exactly what i said here:
TheSeek wrote:(yeah I know, if the "get rid of portal by emancipating grill" effect is supposed to be a "trap", it would be nonsense to activate it voluntarily, but still) .
and what i meant is that I know my suggestions dont solve the gameplay issue(the pits) cuz, as you stated too, nobody would intentionally do that. My suggestions are a workaround for the bug, and the bug only.

Shadoo

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 18:58

TheSeek wrote:
Shadoo wrote: I stated in my post that crouching does nothing, i tried it.
I know what you said(you mentioned just ducking, not jumping while ducking).
Shadoo wrote: Even jumping while crouched does nothing.
I dunno what(or if) you're doing wrong, but:
Shadoo wrote: And because the light bridge goes under the level, the grills are supposed to act as pits in theory, but this bug screwed some stuff up. If crouching did work and i was doing something wrong, who's gonna fall in the grill while crouching? Nobody.
That's exactly what i said here:
TheSeek wrote:(yeah I know, if the "get rid of portal by emancipating grill" effect is supposed to be a "trap", it would be nonsense to activate it voluntarily, but still) .
and what i meant is that I know my suggestions dont solve the gameplay issue(the pits) cuz, as you stated too, nobody would intentionally do that. My suggestions are a workaround for the bug, and the bug only.
I mean, i could place the grill one block higher, but because of the height limit at the moment i'd rather have it fizzle when it should, AKA when you touch it like in the actual Portal games.
I'd rather not mess with graphics until at least SE.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 20:08

This is expected behavior and won't change.

Shadoo

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 20:28

Maurice wrote:This is expected behavior and won't change.
But portals are supposed to fizzle when you touch a grill, not stand halfway under it and jump. There's no reason not to change it.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 09 Sep 2012, 22:40

That's great!
Locked.