Custom player but not custom colors?

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Turtle95

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 03:59

I was wondering if I could somehow make it so my custom player animations did not use custom colors. I want this because my custom animation's colors should be as they are in the image.

TheSeek

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 04:24

once you made your player animation sheets, usually you should create other 4 sheets both for small and big mario:
"marioanimations.png" and "bigmarioanimations.png" are the normal sheets you created
"marioanimations1.png" and "bigmarioanimations1.png" are the masks for color 1
"marioanimations2.png" and "bigmarioanimations2.png" are the masks for color 2
"marioanimations3.png" and "bigmarioanimations3.png" are the masks for color 3
"marioanimations0.png" and "bigmarioanimations0.png" are the sheets where everything that must not be affected by custom colors goes in(like the portal gun).
so you have to edit "marioanimations0.png" and "bigmarioanimations0.png" so that they are identical to "marioanimations.png" and "bigmarioanimations.png"
and then edit the "marioanimations1/2/3.png" and "bigmarioanimations1/2/3.png" so that they have no mask at all, full transparent.
(the masks are the white parts in the "marioanimations1/2/3.png" and "bigmarioanimations1/2/3.png")
mind that once you did this, you won't be able to change the player colors, never(unless you mod it again).
it should be pretty easy, but if you have some problems, i can make them for you.

Turtle95

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 04:30

TheSeek wrote:once you made your player animation sheets, usually you should create other 4 sheets both for small and big mario:
"marioanimations.png" and "bigmarioanimations.png" are the normal sheets you created
"marioanimations1.png" and "bigmarioanimations1.png" are the masks for color 1
"marioanimations2.png" and "bigmarioanimations2.png" are the masks for color 2
"marioanimations3.png" and "bigmarioanimations3.png" are the masks for color 3
"marioanimations0.png" and "bigmarioanimations0.png" are the sheets where everything that must not be affected by custom colors goes in(like the portal gun).
so you have to edit "marioanimations0.png" and "bigmarioanimations0.png" so that they are identical to "marioanimations.png" and "bigmarioanimations.png"
and then edit the "marioanimations1/2/3.png" and "bigmarioanimations1/2/3.png" so that they have no mask at all, full transparent.
(the masks are the white parts in the "marioanimations1/2/3.png" and "bigmarioanimations1/2/3.png")
mind that once you did this, you won't be able to change the player colors, never(unless you mod it again).
it should be pretty easy, but if you have some problems, i can make them for you.
Well, I did what you said but there's some weird trail left behind.

If you can fix it, these are the graphics:

TheSeek

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 04:45

http://www.mediafire.com/?me89xm9ddsdb93l

btw, you forgot to do the directions for the portal gun on the swimming animations, unless it was intentional, but it's weird if it is.

Turtle95

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 04:50

TheSeek wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?me89xm9ddsdb93l

btw, you forgot to do the directions for the portal gun on the swimming animations, unless it was intentional, but it's weird if it is.
Hm. I did this already. It's apparently either me, my computer, or something. Cause I see freaking light trails behind the turtle when he moves.

TheSeek

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 05:05

by trails i thought you meant something in the sheets, but now i see what you mean, and it happens to me too, its cuz of the high contrast between the green of your player and the blue of the background(same happens if you use high contrast colors on mario). if you switch to the custom background(the portal one) you'll see that effect wont happen.

Turtle95

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 05:06

TheSeek wrote:by trails i thought you meant something in the sheets, but now i see what you mean, and it happens to me too, its cuz of the high contrast between the green of your player and the blue of the background(same happens if you use high contrast colors on mario). if you switch to the custom background(the portal one) you'll see that effect wont happen.
Oh thanks. How do I fix this?

TheSeek

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 05:19

You could use a different color, a darker green maybe, but im not sure it will change much unless it's much darker cuz it's related to the nature of the colors, the effect would happen with high contrast of blue/green, green/red, red/yellow, yellow, blue.
Or you change the background.
If it is a techncal problem, it has nothing to do with Mari0, it might be caused from the screen frequency(im not sure of this), the speed of frames in Mari0, or from the nature of the human eye, cuz the eye's retina is more impressed by high contrast colors, so once one of the 2 colors moves, the image of it not moving is still on the retina for a fraction of second, causing the "trail" effect.

Turtle95

Post » 05 Sep 2012, 05:35

TheSeek wrote:You could use a different color, a darker green maybe, but im not sure it will change much unless it's much darker cuz it's related to the nature of the colors, the effect would happen with high contrast of blue/green, green/red, red/yellow, yellow, blue.
Or you change the background.
If it is a techncal problem, it has nothing to do with Mari0, it might be caused from the screen frequency(im not sure of this), the speed of frames in Mari0, or from the nature of the human eye, cuz the eye's retina is more impressed by high contrast colors, so once one of the 2 colors moves, the image of it not moving is still on the retina for a fraction of second, causing the "trail" effect.
Wow. Well thanks! :D