Gravity

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Dilster3k

Post » 07 May 2012, 16:43

I'm pretty sure everyone wants it, the power to manipulate gravity in Mari0. Changing gravity opens the opportunity to awesome and interesting puzzles.
It could be easy to set up: Go to the Linking Tool and select the tiles you want to be affected (just like dragging your mouse over files on a desktop) and linking that selection to the "gravity controller". By right-clicking the "gravity controller" in the Level Editor, you can change where the gravity will be set in the beginning.
To give you a better idea, I created this GIF.

Last edited by Dilster3k on 07 May 2012, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

trosh

Post » 07 May 2012, 20:52

that's interesting. I'm not sure how objects would act between two tiles of different gravity, but probably something like putting two portals on the ground one next to the other. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to code, just make an array of tiles linked with each gravity controller and check during objects' physics's update whether they are on one of those tiles or not. maybe.
Also how would it act with two gravity controllers linking one tile ?
PS : nice gif, though dark.

Dilster3k

Post » 07 May 2012, 21:01

trosh wrote:that's interesting. I'm not sure how objects would act between two tiles of different gravity, but probably something like putting two portals on the ground one next to the other. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to code, just make an array of tiles linked with each gravity controller and check during objects' physics's update whether they are on one of those tiles or not. maybe.
Also how would it act with two gravity controllers linking one tile ?
PS : nice gif, though dark.
Linking two gravity controllers to one tile should be restricted, the universe would explode. But I imagined the physics of portals to change if they're in the zone. Same goes for Mario and enemies. If an object or an enemy comes between two tiles of different gravity, it'll just transition into the next gravity.
You could even select all the tiles in your level and just play it upside down.

renhoek

Post » 08 May 2012, 01:41

Dilster3k
you put so much effort into your suggestions,
they're very good and I like the idea.

PloXyZeRO

Post » 08 May 2012, 06:28

It's hard to come across good suggestions. This is a good one. Although there wasn't gravity changing in Mario or Portal, so I don't think Maurice will add it.
Unless this isn't a suggestion?

Zlmpery

Post » 08 May 2012, 06:33

PloXyZeRO wrote:It's hard to come across good suggestions. This is a good one. Although there wasn't gravity changing in Mario or Portal, so I don't think Maurice will add it.
There have been many times where someone said, "there wasn't ________ in Mario or Portal, so I don't think Maurice will add it."
Until Maurice or someone else says, "But there is a level editor, hats, custom tiles, custom colors, "cheats," etc, etc.

In my opinion, it isn't worthless to suggest things like this but there is less of a chance of it being added. (If it is a suggestion.)

Edit: Good job on the gif! It nicely illustrates what you mean.

Polybius

Post » 08 May 2012, 07:17

I think hitting the gravity control should toggle gravity variations clockwise, and when the gravity block is connected to an inverter should toggle through gravity settings counter clockwise. and maybe multi gravity control areas should only express the most updated control setting; either that or cancel each other or combine gravity sets.

PloXyZeRO

Post » 09 May 2012, 03:00

Zlmpery wrote:
PloXyZeRO wrote:It's hard to come across good suggestions. This is a good one. Although there wasn't gravity changing in Mario or Portal, so I don't think Maurice will add it.
There have been many times where someone said, "there wasn't ________ in Mario or Portal, so I don't think Maurice will add it."
Until Maurice or someone else says, "But there is a level editor, hats, custom tiles, custom colors, "cheats," etc, etc.

In my opinion, it isn't worthless to suggest things like this but there is less of a chance of it being added. (If it is a suggestion.)

Well if it's completely different than the game mechanics that the original games had, then I usually say that. For example, there aren't any MAJOR game mechanics in Mari0 that isn't in Mario or Portal. There only thing I can think of (that affects gameplay) is the custom level editor, and four player multiplayer, but even then, Portal 2 has co-op two players and a level editor (but Mario didn't). There's nothing significantly different in Mari0 like this (customization of hats and stuff doesn't change gameplay so I don't count that)

But there's always a possibility, I'm just stating that I think it's pretty unlikely that it would be included in the actual game

Dilster3k

Post » 13 May 2012, 19:19

PloXyZeRO wrote:
Zlmpery wrote:

Well if it's completely different than the game mechanics that the original games had, then I usually say that. For example, there aren't any MAJOR game mechanics in Mari0 that isn't in Mario or Portal. There only thing I can think of (that affects gameplay) is the custom level editor, and four player multiplayer, but even then, Portal 2 has co-op two players and a level editor (but Mario didn't). There's nothing significantly different in Mari0 like this (customization of hats and stuff doesn't change gameplay so I don't count that)

But there's always a possibility, I'm just stating that I think it's pretty unlikely that it would be included in the actual game
It's not in Portal, but it's still fucking cool.

PloXyZeRO

Post » 13 May 2012, 20:33

Yeah, it is!

Polybius

Post » 14 May 2012, 07:18

wicked nice idea! keep this thread up until maurice or saso place their two opinions here I think they`ll answer in their usual responces using either the straight up direct “No” or the “Nice idea, we'll think about it” :]

--edit

Does my post make sense yet?
Last edited by Polybius on 15 May 2012, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

PloXyZeRO

Post » 14 May 2012, 07:44

drone36 wrote:wicked nice idea! keep this thread up until maurice or saso place their two cents here I`d be either the straight up direct “No” or the “Nice idea, we'll think about it” :]
Could you edit your post so that it actually makes sense?

Franpa

Post » 14 May 2012, 13:37

I love how everyone is suddenly super excited when it is almost exactly the same idea everyone has been posting for several days now, the only difference is you have a switch to control the direction of the gravity.

@Ploxyzero: His message makes perfect sense?

renhoek

Post » 14 May 2012, 13:42

1 suggestion for vvvvvv mode made over a week ago = posting about it for several days.

the difference here is it's not a cheat and it's not gameplay altering,
just changes the gravity of the block that's it nothing BIG.

plus he put effort into his post.

Franpa

Post » 14 May 2012, 20:41

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:the difference here is it's not a cheat and it's not gameplay altering,
If it wasn't gameplay changing then there would be no point in having it.

Polybius

Post » 15 May 2012, 07:30

Franpa wrote:
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:the difference here is it's not a cheat and it's not gameplay altering,
If it wasn't gameplay changing then there would be no point in having it.
Actually adding this will be pretty huge.

1. because changing the direction of gravity can affect gameplay environmentally

e.g: completely upside down levels, left to right gravity levels

2. it would require the addition of multi directional entities -e.g: upside down buttons, different directional facing finish flags ect.

3. would affect game physics objects and enemies.
e.g: regular enemies, companion cube, mario, bowser maybe?

4. [changing gravity to affect gel drop area ] probably change the surface area spread range for gels: -

layman`s terms: change the direction of thing that pulls you to the floor to spread more jelly on the walls.

Franpa

Post » 15 May 2012, 16:30

I knew that, hence what I said.

renhoek

Post » 15 May 2012, 16:34

ok let me put it this way then

the suggestion of this thread
allow gravity to change after hitting a block
that other thread
control gravity at will breaking many maps.

with this it means that people can choose when they're allowed to change gravity in their maps.

Besides this one has a gif :P

Polybius

Post » 16 May 2012, 07:57

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:ok let me put it this way then

that other thread

with this it means that people can choose when they're allowed to change gravity in their maps.

the only way you can change gravity directions for levels would be linking the whole map to a gravity directing block and changing the pre-set, btw

not quite, this one has a block and custom defined gravity areas, and gravity setting pre-sets [on level start]

layman[again] : the thing that pulls ya` down? instead, it started pulling you to the wall since the beginning!

RWLabs

Post » 16 May 2012, 07:58

This idea is good- but it seems hard to program.

Polybius

Post » 16 May 2012, 08:10

RWLabs wrote:This idea is good- but it seems hard to program.
programming is out of the question ,lad.

its wether maurice or saso want to put in time to add it.

heck, ill take a crack at it myself if i get good results ill post them here. i may want to send the code to either: maurice and saso, or the person who started this epic thread, OR all three of them. thats IF i get my lazyness on it and IF i know enough to program it xD

PloXyZeRO

Post » 17 May 2012, 05:22

drone36 wrote:
RWLabs wrote:This idea is good- but it seems hard to program.
programming is out of the question ,lad.

its wether maurice or saso want to put in time to add it.

heck, ill take a crack at it myself if i get good results ill post them here. i may want to send the code to either: maurice and saso, or the person who started this epic thread, OR all three of them. thats IF i get my lazyness on it and IF i know enough to program it xD
Can't wait
Just multiplying y gravity values by -1 will make everything "fall" up...at least I think it would
I'm sure you would need to change some codes that deal with collision though

Dilster3k

Post » 17 May 2012, 14:46

drone36 wrote:
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:ok let me put it this way then

that other thread

the only way you can change gravity directions for levels would be linking the whole map to a gravity directing block and changing the pre-set, btw

not quite, this one has a block and custom defined gravity areas, and gravity setting pre-sets [on level start]

layman[again] : the thing that pulls ya` down? instead, it started pulling you to the wall since the beginning!
This. People can choose if they want their whole level to be affected, or just a part of it. If they want their whole level's gravity to pull to the left, they should select all the tiles and hide the "gravity controller".

Polybius

Post » 18 May 2012, 01:07

PloXyZeRO wrote: Can't wait
Just multiplying y gravity values by -1 will make everything "fall" up...at least I think it would
I'm thinking the same thing kinda, although at the same time i don't think so

PloXyZeRO

Post » 23 May 2012, 04:47

drone36 wrote:
Duuuude that's so trippy
I'm thinking the same exact thing that you were thinking

Franpa

Post » 23 May 2012, 09:30

drone36 wrote:
Well, you'd end up permanently head butting the roof unable to do anything else but shoot, if you have a fire flower, yay? You need code to flip the player sprite and collision masks as well.

Polybius

Post » 23 May 2012, 16:33

thats the point .-. you no pay attention?

Franpa

Post » 23 May 2012, 16:48

drone36 wrote:thats the point .-. you no pay attention?
But... you can't walk or jump or anything! Your feet are in the air! Not on what would be considered the floor, according to the kind of gravity currently in effect. You would become as skillful as a stunned mullet.

Polybius

Post » 27 May 2012, 09:30

maurice already added sticky gel so this threas is *kindof* but not completely pointless.

anyway, you`re missing the point dude .-. changing gravity would flip the sprite correctly and accordingly to the current gravity specifications indicated on the control block at that given instant so that the sprites feet touch what would be considered the “new floor”.

renhoek

Post » 27 May 2012, 09:52

this thread was made before gravity gel was announced.

Polybius

Post » 12 Jun 2012, 07:20

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:this thread was made before gravity gel was announced.
I know,Which is why I was saying it should be closed.-. cause something similar already exists now.