How Do I Make Custom Stuff?

General Mar0 discussion has been moved to this subforum!
Mari0Maker

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 17:46

Hello, I am new to this, and I was wondering how you add custom stuff. Does anyone know how you add custom hats, backgrounds, and tiles?

Zlmpery

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 17:57

Backgrounds:
The screen of Mari0 is 400x224 pixels.
The portal background is the standard custom background, you can overwrite it by doing the following:
Place “background1.png” inside your mappack folder.
You can keep adding consecutive numbers to add more than 1 background (background2.png, background3.png, etc) for parallax scrolling. Adjust the scroll factor slider (main tab) to control the speed of parallax scrolling.
This standard background can be overwritten by each map individually by putting “1-1background1.png” (for world 1-1) inside the folder. Also supports multiple backgrounds.
For sublevels, use “1-1_1background1.png”.
Then check the “Custom Background” box in the main tab of the editor.

Music:
Place “music.mp3” or “music.ogg” inside your mappacks folder, preferably ogg. Then select “custom” from the music list in the editor. You’ll need to have the track in the folder BEFORE loading the mappack.

Tiles:
Place tiles.png in the mappack folder you want to have it.

Hats:
1. Download the latest LÖVE Beta at the bottom of https://love2d.org/builds/
2. Download the Mari0 source at the bottom of http://www.stabyourself.net/mari0#download
3. Open the .Love file with WinRAR or an equivalent.
4. Open hatconfigs.lua with notepad or an equivalent.
5. Paste the hat code provided at the bottom of the document.
6. Open bighatconfigs.lua with notepad or an equivalent.
7. Past the bighat code provided at the bottom of the document.
8. Drag the big hat picture into graphics/SMB/bighats/
9. Drag the hat picture into graphics/SMB/hats/
10. Run the .love file.

I only wrote the hats tutorial and the tiles tutorial! The others are from the homepage.

Offtopic: You probably shouldn't have the name Mari0Maker.
Last edited by Zlmpery on 07 Apr 2012, 18:00, edited 3 times in total.

LightningFire

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 17:58

For the hats, you may use the mod Hat loader, and to make hats, look for tutorials in the mods sections.

Mari0Maker

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 18:08

Zlmpery wrote:Backgrounds:
The screen of Mari0 is 400x224 pixels.
The portal background is the standard custom background, you can overwrite it by doing the following:
Place “background1.png” inside your mappack folder.
You can keep adding consecutive numbers to add more than 1 background (background2.png, background3.png, etc) for parallax scrolling. Adjust the scroll factor slider (main tab) to control the speed of parallax scrolling.
This standard background can be overwritten by each map individually by putting “1-1background1.png” (for world 1-1) inside the folder. Also supports multiple backgrounds.
For sublevels, use “1-1_1background1.png”.
Then check the “Custom Background” box in the main tab of the editor.

Music:
Place “music.mp3” or “music.ogg” inside your mappacks folder, preferably ogg. Then select “custom” from the music list in the editor. You’ll need to have the track in the folder BEFORE loading the mappack.

Tiles:
Place tiles.png in the mappack folder you want to have it.

Hats:
1. Download the latest LÖVE Beta at the bottom of https://love2d.org/builds/
2. Download the Mari0 source at the bottom of http://www.stabyourself.net/mari0#download
3. Open the .Love file with WinRAR or an equivalent.
4. Open hatconfigs.lua with notepad or an equivalent.
5. Paste the hat code provided at the bottom of the document.
6. Open bighatconfigs.lua with notepad or an equivalent.
7. Past the bighat code provided at the bottom of the document.
8. Drag the big hat picture into graphics/SMB/bighats/
9. Drag the hat picture into graphics/SMB/hats/
10. Run the .love file.

I only wrote the hats tutorial and the tiles tutorial! The others are from the homepage.

Offtopic: You probably shouldn't have the name Mari0Maker.
Ok, I now know how to do the music and tiles, and I downloaded LOVE, but what LOVE file is it? Is it the one in Program Files/LOVE? And, can I have more than one tile set? Thanks! :)

Zlmpery

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 18:38

First, make sure you downloaded the Love file all the way at the bottom. You don't actually need to run the file, just run Mari0.love and it should automatically open it with Love.

You can have more than one tileset, but you have to manually put them together. Just edit the original tiles.png and insert the tiles you want from the other tileset.

12seth12

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 18:43

maybe you should tell him about those squares with colors that determine if they're portalable, in the way, etc.

Mari0Maker

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 19:09

Zlmpery wrote:First, make sure you downloaded the Love file all the way at the bottom. You don't actually need to run the file, just run Mari0.love and it should automatically open it with Love.

You can have more than one tileset, but you have to manually put them together. Just edit the original tiles.png and insert the tiles you want from the other tileset.
OK, I downloaded the .zip file at the very bottom, so where is the file mari0.love?

Zlmpery

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 19:21

Remember what I said?

It needs to be opened with WinRar, 7zip or any other archiving program. Extract the .love file and run it

Mari0Maker

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 19:32

Zlmpery wrote:Remember what I said?

It needs to be opened with WinRar, 7zip or any other archiving program. Extract the .love file and run it
Ok, is there a archiving program that comes with Windows? Or, can I download one of the programs (like WinRar)?

Zlmpery

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 19:40

They usually don't. Download WinRar at http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Defector117

Post » 08 Apr 2012, 04:59

So iv been following these instructions for a few hours...unfortunatly... and i don't understand how to extract the .love file so i can add hats. Iv got the WinRAR and the Love files downloaded and i have Mari0 opened with WinRAR, but Mari0.love is nowhere to be found. If i could get more detailed instructions i would greatly appreciate it!

SpocKirk

Post » 08 Apr 2012, 05:35

Defector117 wrote:So iv been following these instructions for a few hours...unfortunatly... and i don't understand how to extract the .love file so i can add hats. Iv got the WinRAR and the Love files downloaded and i have Mari0 opened with WinRAR, but Mari0.love is nowhere to be found. If i could get more detailed instructions i would greatly appreciate it!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=70

Mari0Maker

Post » 10 Apr 2012, 20:38

Zlmpery wrote:Remember what I said?

Ok, I watched your video tutorial to add your hats to the source Mari0 .love file, but When I play the game, they wont show up! Is there anything else I need to do?

Sky

Post » 10 Apr 2012, 21:25

Mari0Maker wrote:Ok, I watched your video tutorial to add your hats to the source Mari0 .love file, but When I play the game, they wont show up! Is there anything else I need to do?
JUST DOUBLE CHECKING
You switched the hat in Options, right?