Ortho Robot License

nailor

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 00:32

I just downloaded Ortho Robot from stabyourself.net
Now I am wondering if I am entitled to use it under the licensing terms of the WTFPL.

For your convenience here is the full text of the WTFPL:
DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.
Best Regards
Thanks for the game and thanks in advance for your time to reply.
Have a great day!

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 01:19

nailor

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 02:01

Thanks for your fast reply!

I asked because I was wondering if it is possible to include Ortho Robot into my Linux distribution of choice---Debian.
From reading your other posts I concluded that you are not interested in the licensing business too much, and the WTFPL might actually express your opinion. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

The CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 is not compatible with DFSG. Thus Ortho Robot unfortunately cannot be included into Debian right now. I think that's kinda sad, but don't bother too much, it's a great game anyhow.

Let me know should you ever consider to release it under CC BY-SA 3.0 or any other DFSG-compatible license.

Best Regards & Thanks again!

trosh

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 02:26

what do you mean "included" ?
Not sure if you just want to make a debian-like packed with orthorobot or officially add it to Debian (which would be cool and worth changing the license over :D)

nailor

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 11:01

I am talking about creating a Debian package of Ortho Robot.

Currently such a Debian package could be published e.g. on PlayDeb but not be uploaded to the official Debian repositories.

In order to be uploaded to the official Debian repositories it needs to conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. In short, the source code must be released and everybody must be free to use, distribute and modify it for any purpose. The current Ortho Robot license (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) is almost, but not fully, compatible with DFSG because it disallows commercial usage.

CC BY-SA 3.0 is compatible with DFSG, as are many other licenses listed here.

Changing the license or optionally releasing it under additional license terms makes it possible to include the package into Debian (and Ubuntu, ...). In consequence, it would be available to a broader audience more conveniently. Also you might get high-quality feedback and suggestions from a highly technical audience. On the other hand it would enable others to use the game under the same unrestrictive terms for less humble purposes.

Personally, I'd like to see this packaged and included into Debian...
The decision is up to Maurice, and he can decide however he likes and what fits him best.

Best Regards

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 17:40

The music used in Ortho Robot (Trooped) also uses CC BY-NC-SA 3.0. Even if we changed the license, we won't be making an iceweasel version of it just for the sake of conforming to repository requirements.

nailor

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 20:49

Dear Sašo,

thanks for mentioning your concerns regarding the Ortho Robot music.
I think it is not actually such a big issue because there are several possibilities to resolve the issue:
1. I can talk to the author of the music and might get it licensed under a compatible license.
or
2. The music might be put into another package with more a more restrictive license. I think this is accepted by Debian for certain pieces of artwork.
or
3. Similarly to what you mention with iceweasel a version with the music exchanged might be created -- if need be.

So this is really "just" about the code (and possibly the maps).
I am confident a proper Debian package could and would be created soonish if the code was released under a DFSG compatible license. With the current license a PlayDeb package might be created at some point, but in my opinion that just is not the same.

This game would be a great addition to Debian so I am politely asking if we can make this happen --- but of course you/Maurice are free to decline.

Note that all this does not mean any additional work for you; everything would be done for you. It really is about your permission to do it.

Best Regards & Thanks for your time

trosh

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 21:00

I think that would be a nice thing to have a debian package. Not that Debian users are your main consumer base, it would be kewl.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 14 Mar 2012, 22:50

We appreciate your efforts but we'd rather keep the license as it is now.

nailor

Post » 15 Mar 2012, 11:03

Thanks for your consideration and let me know if you should ever change your mind.

Best Regards

lovechild

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 14:48

Dead thread is dead. Figured I would respond here anyway.

A way to pack it up for Debian may just be to make a script for it that runs in term. Then, it would install love and wget the game+icons for menus. As long as you keep that bit open and editable for others in the future, then making a package that downloads other, freely-available software and the game would work. All the package in question would do is download an installer script for the game, as a Debian package.

Lawnboy

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 15:03

lovechild wrote:Dead thread is dead. Figured I would respond here anyway.

A way to pack it up for Debian may just be to make a script for it that runs in term. Then, it would install love and wget the game+icons for menus. As long as you keep that bit open and editable for others in the future, then making a package that downloads other, freely-available software and the game would work. All the package in question would do is download an installer script for the game, as a Debian package.
THERE IS NO FUCKING DEBIAN PACKAGE!!!

lovechild

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 15:49

LawnboyInAJar wrote:
lovechild wrote:Dead thread is dead. Figured I would respond here anyway.

THERE IS NO FUCKING DEBIAN PACKAGE!!!
Maybe I said it wrong. There IS a Debian package for love. The idea for a debian package for any game would be to download an installer script which would then check for a love installation, then wget the title in question. It's an idea, a concept. Someone wants to roll with it, then fine, otherwise whatever, yo.

And quit the caps. Your anger doesn't bother me.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 18:24

I'm pretty sure that still wouldn't fly. License is still the same and even a script that would fetch it after installation would probably violate the terms. Unless you'd make it so you have to enter the entire link yourself anyway, in which case what's the point.