[Guide] How to Make your Own Levels

byrono

Post » 06 Feb 2012, 00:39

So You want to make your own Ortho Robot levels. Well this Complicated Guide will teach you how.

Step One: Get the Source.

Step Two: Make sure You Have LÖVE2d.

Step Three: Extract it using your Extracting software(7zip, Winrar).

Step Four: Open The folder Ortho Robot/Maps/ And there should be Pictures and Text. Today we will edit level 1.

Step Five: Open the 01.PNG file with your Favorite Image Editor and the 01 text File with any Text Editor

Step Six: Well the Image is not as Confusing as it seems. The bottom half is the first layer of the level, and the top half is the second level
What does that mean? Well if you open up the game(Presumably you have already downloaded it) and go to level one. The Black Tiles are the white blocks. The Blue tile is the player, the Yellow tiles are the Coins, and the Green tiles is the Finish line. Well Lets Create a level with a few more layers.

Step Seven: Go into 01.PNG and make the Following Adjustments
  • #Change The Size of the Width and Height of the .PNG to 15px and 25px Respectively.

Step Eight: Go back to the Text file I'll Explain.

Height: the height of the level, Not in pixels but in blocks. Our level has 5.
Name: The Name of the Level.
Text: The Description In game.
Time: The Goal for the time.
Steps: The Goal for the Steps.
Warps: The Goal For the Warps.
Coins: How much Coins.

I modified mine like this

Code: Select all

height=5
name=Level One
text=Hello World This is My Level That i Made
time=12
steps=9
warps=4
coins=2
Step Nine: Save Everything. Drag the Ortho Robot Folder into a LOVE shortcut, And it Should play, Then Goto level One and BAM! Thats your Level.

djmattyg007

Post » 06 Feb 2012, 09:49

*stares pointedly at the spambot until it leaves*

That is awesome, thankyou very very much. Now to come up with some decent level designs!

Kyle Prior

Post » 07 Feb 2012, 05:05

Thanks for this. I will begin experimenting right away!

RabidJellyfish

Post » 09 Feb 2012, 23:55

Even though I probably won't end up make custom levels for this, that's pretty interesting. I was wondering how Maurice made these levels.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 10 Feb 2012, 00:05

RabidJellyfish wrote:Even though I probably won't end up make custom levels for this, that's pretty interesting. I was wondering how Maurice made these levels.

You might recognise some, though most were changed a lot after being "converted" into the proper format.

popcan12

Post » 04 May 2012, 22:45

Minecraft...

Aukeroorda

Post » 10 May 2012, 17:03

Hey, minecraft-

How if you could just make a Ortho Robot world in Minecraft?

Place blocks - Mark with with w/e tool you want. - Some feature converts it too the format the Robot can read.
Well, maybe it sounds weird, but if you understand it you can make nice maps, fast. But it is very hard to make, Im afraid.

Shzamm

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 10 May 2012, 19:02

Seems a bit too much effort. Might as well add a builtin level editor. The maps I made were entered manually, layer by layer, pixel by block.