Anime

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Flutter Skye

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 00:21

I'm actually surprised there's no such topic so far, so it's time to create one~!
Talk about you favorite Anime and recommend Anime to others as well! I'll add you recommendation to the list here. If you're going to spoil something, use the  spoiler tags. 
Here's a useful site to organize Anime you want to watch: My Anime List Recommendations:
Steins;Gate - The eccentric mad scientist Okabe, his childhood friend Mayuri, and the otaku hacker Daru have banded together to form the "Future Gadget Research Laboratory," and spend their days in a ramshackle laboratory hanging out and occasionally attempting to invent incredible futuristic gadgets. However, their claymore is a hydrator and their hair dryer flips breakers, and the only invention that's even remotely interesting is their Phone Microwave, which transforms bananas into oozing green gel. But when an experiment goes awry, the gang discovers that the Phone Microwave can also send text messages to the past. And what's more, the words they send can affect the flow of time and have unforeseen, far-reaching consequences—consequences that Okabe may not be able to handle...
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Stein ... QhVZSO7.99

Genres: Sci-Fi, Thriller

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Edward and Alphonse Elric, after their father left years ago, lose their mother. Using alchemy, an ability used throughout their world to transmute things into other things, attempt to revive their mother, betraying one of the cardinal rules of alchemy. Their attempt goes horribly wrong, and in the aftermath, Edward loses a leg, and Alphonse loses his entire body. In an attempt to bring him back, Edward sacrifices his arm, and binds Alphonse's soul to a suit of armor. The two then set off on a journey to find the mythical philosophers stone, so they can use its power to gain their bodies back.
Review by Vakema123 - My second favorite anime of all time, and one of the most beloved anime ever.
The story is simply superb. It develops perfectly, at a perfect pace. The animation is amazing, it's done by BONES, who is fantastic. The characters are almost universally loved, even (Especially) the one that basically just dies. The show never stops being entertaining, throughout all 64 episodes, you will be in love with it. If it bothers you, there is no fan service in it. Lot of humor though! I would watch the Funimation dub for this, it was really good.
I'd rate it a 96/100.

Genres: Adventure, Action, Drama, Intrigue
Fullmetal Alchemist - The beginning is pretty much exactly the same as Brotherhood, but at about a third through the show, it goes into a completely different story from the manga. (Which Brotherhood follows strictly.)
Review by Vakema123 - It's not a perfect show, but it's worth a watch. The story stops being very fluent at around the same time it splits off from the manga (which is around laboratory 5, if I remember correctly. ) It gets more rushed and cluttered as it goes on, until the end, where nothing really makes too much sense. I respect that they wanted to do something different from the original story, but even without knowing the original story beforehand, I couldn't understand why they made some of the choices they made. The animation is the same studio as Brotherhood, BONES, and it is fantastic, like brotherhood. The characters are pretty much just as good as in Brotherhood, except a few. ( Mainly Hoenheim. ) The show is 51 episodes long, and it's pretty much a hit or miss on whether or not you'll get into it enough to finish it. I watched the dub for this one, and I've never seen the sub, so I can't comment on it too much. I think the VA for this and Brotherhood are the same though, so, if that's true, I would pick the dub.
I'd rate it an 80/100.

Genres: Adventure, Action, Drama, Intrigue
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Years ago, humanity was driven into underground villages by beastmen, under control of Lord Genome. In these villages, people would dig through the ground in order to increase the size of the village. One of these diggers, Simon, finds something while digging, It's a small robot in the shape of a face. That same night, a giant machine breaks through the ceiling of the village, bringing its fight with a strange, bikini clad sniper with it. However, she cannot defeat it, and Simon, Kamina, and Yoko, the sniper, have to team up and use the machine Simon found (titled Lagann by Kamina) to defeat it. After the fight, they are sent flying up to the surface, the domain of Lord Genome.
Review by Vakema123 - Gurren Lagann is a spectacular piece of television, one of the best I've ever seen.
The story is spectacular, and no matter what hurdle it throws at you, the show only ever becomes better off for it. The only issue is that it suffers from an extreme case of serial escalation. And when I say problem, I mean it's one of the best things ever. The show is made by Gainax, (The studio behind Evangelion, FLCL, and in a way, Kill La Kill.) and is probably the best animated out of anything I've seen. The characters are all fantastic, with one exception. ( The armadillo general, Guame. ) The show is 27 episodes long, and I'm impressed with your willpower if you can stop once you get into it. I personally watched it in 2 days, stopping only when I had to. This is another show I watched the dub for, which I normally don't do anymore. The dub is fantastic though, so it wasn't really a problem.
I'd rate it a 95/100

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - Yuuta Togashi suffered from chuunibyou while he was in middle school. When he graduated, he put that dark history behind him and forgot about it... or he was supposed to. High school was smooth sailing and full of enjoyment—until the unavoidable, sad event occurs. The event that locks Yuuta into a contract with Rikka Takanashi and disrupts his desperately ordinary life.
My review: - The Anime combines Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama and romance into one thing. Yutta tries to forget the past him from Junior High School, but after he meets Rikka, the girl which has chuunibyou, his life completely changes. It's kinda hard for me to explain why I like it, since it's 12 Episodes long and each episode has a lot of stuff in it. Various characters here see the world differently than it is in reality. they see it as a fantasy world(?). Uhm... It made me cry a lot of times. So I'm just gonna say that if you like Romance or Slice of Life, definitely watch it.
10/10

K-ON! - Hirasawa Yui, a young, carefree girl entering high school, has her imagination instantly captured when she sees a poster advertising the "Light Music Club." Being the carefree girl that she is, she quickly signs up; however, Yui has a problem, she is unable to play an instrument.
My review: - The anime shows how someone's goals can get true by their friendship. The episodes are Kawaii, random and funny. There is a few sad moments as well, especially the ending of the second season. I recommend it 100%.
Genres: Comedy, Music, School, Slice of Life

Kiniro Mosaic - The story begins with Oomiya Shinobu, a 15-year-old, seemingly pure Japanese girl who actually did a homestay in Great Britain. Even after coming back to Japan, she still misses her time overseas. One day, an airmail letter arrives from Alice, the girl in Shinobu's host family in Great Britain. The letter reads: Shinobu, I'm coming to Japan! The Japanese/British girls' mixed comedy follows the lives of Shinobu, Alice, and other girls from both Japan and Great Britain.
My review: - Desu This is definitely the most funnyanime I watched so far. The episodes are just the girls' days, showing what funny thing they're doing. It's hard to explain this Anime, you just HAVE to watch it!
Genres: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Soul Eater - At the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, this series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and their human weapon: Maka and her scythe Soul, Black Star with Tsubaki the magical weapon, and Death the Kid with his twin pistols Patty and Liz. Here, masters aim to make their partner a “Death Scythe” which is the highest title for a weapon and thus fit for use by Death himself, by collecting the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch. The three partnerships quickly form a bond with one another and become stronger to protect Death City by hunting powerful evil creatures, and in some cases, even demons…
Review by RottedPaint - Now, what can I say about this one other than it's my favorite non-OVA series ever. It's pretty good, action/comedy, love the characters. But I swear to god, if you want to watch it, do not watch the ending. It's really anti-climactic. Read the manga ending or something.
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Shounen, Supernatural

Kill la Kill - Ryuuko Matoi carries a large weapon shaped like half of a pair of scissors. She’s looking for the woman with the other half, who killed her father. Satsuki Kiryuuin, student council president of Honnouji Academy, is said to know the woman’s identity, so Ryuuko transfers there.
Review by RottedPaint - This one is a really unique one, liked it a lot. If you can get behind all the fanservice, you'll find a crazy action anime that punches your guts and then kisses you. Various times. Mako is life.
Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, School

Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary - The dark fantasy follows a high school sophomore named Akihito Kanbara. Although the boy appears human, he is half youmu and invulnerable to wounds because he can heal quickly. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it seems she is about to jump from the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is unique even among members of the spirit world. Disturbing events begin to unfold after Akihito saves Mirai.
Review by RottedPaint - Sounds epic? Meh. Not much action here, not for me at least. I quite like it enough to recommend it. Mirai is adorable, supernatural stuff is cool. Stab stab blood blood.
Genres: Fantasy, Slice of Life, Supernatural

Nichijou - While the title suggests a story of simple, everyday school life, the contents are more the opposite. The setting is a strange school where you may see the principal wrestle a deer or a robot’s arm hide a rollcake. However there are still normal stories, like making a card castle or taking a test you didn’t study for.
Review by RottedPaint - Only slice of life I've ever been fond of. Nothing much here, just randomness being thrown around. Animation style catches my eyes. Yeh.

Kill Me Baby - Kill Me Baby is the touching story of Yasuna, a normal (?) high school girl, and Sonya, her best friend who happens to be an assassin. Unfortunately, little Sonya's trained assassin instincts often work against her and others in her daily high school life, as Yasuna's often-broken wrist can attest to. She just wanted a hug, but she ended up with a broken neck. Isn't it sad? No, it's hilarious.
Not even Yasuna's intense ninja training can prepare her for the exciting adventures in this explosive 4-panel manga adaptation.

Genres: Comedy, School, Seinen
The irregular at Magic High School - Tatsuya Shiba and his sister Miyuki enroll in a high school for those who have harnessed 'magic' and are relatively talented with it. Tatsuya is separated from his sister in their levels of mastery (sort of like mathematics levels in real life, but there are only two you get for four years) and practical application of magic. Tatsuya secretly  works for the military, and is a co-owner of a very large and ingenious company. He is highly trained and quite brilliant when it comes to combat.  . His sister believes that he should not be in the lower class due to his actual skills in the field, but he is modest and set firm in keeping his identities secret. (This is as backstory as I'll go before I spoil it all)
Review by victinstar - Relatively different from the sort of animes I have watched, especially in regards to animation style. It has much less exaggerated emotion, and has slightly more mature comedy (It's not always blue collar in layman's terms). Very nice plot so far (sorry, I'm not even finished yet, but it has ended). Overall very entertaining to me.
Higurashi no naku Koro ni - After moving into the quiet town of Hinamizawa, Maebara Keiichi spends his days blissfully in school often playing games with his local friends. However, appearances can be deceiving. One fateful day, Keiichi stumbles upon news of a murder that had occurred in Hinamizawa. From this point on, horrific events unfold in front of Keiichi, as he soon learns his close friends may not be all that they seem. Based on the amateur mystery game by 07th Expansion, the story is told in a series of different scenarios.
Review by WiloKing - Keiichi Maebara moves into Hinamizawa in 1983. Everything seems normal, and then shit hits the fan. Quite often. Can't spoil anything else, watch it if you dare. This anime is where innocence goes to die
Genres: Horror/Comedy/Slice of Slice/Mystery.

Elfen Lied - The Diclonius, a mutated homosapien that is said to be selected by God and will eventually become the destruction of mankind, possess two horns on their heads and have a "sixth sense" which gives them telekinetic abilities. Due to this dangerous power, they have been captured and isolated in laboratories by the government. Lucy, a young and psychotic Diclonius, manages to break free of her confines and brutally murders most of the guards in the laboratory where she is being held, only to be shot in the head as she makes her escape. She survives, falling off a cliff into the ocean and manages to drift along to a beach where two teenagers, Kouta and Yuka, discover her. Having lost her memories, she was named after the only thing that she can now say, "Nyuu," and the two allow her to stay at Kouta's home. However, it appears that the psychotic side of Lucy is not dead just yet...
Review by Wilo - Have you ever seen the recent movie Lucy? That is a blatant rip off of this, only watered down and unfunned for Western audiences. My reasoning for this is that they a generally based upon the same thing: A young woman, with pink hair, from a newly emerging species of human, with horns on her head and invisible arms (an old hag with decaying flesh that you can observe falling off in the movie Lucy) is captured by sciencey Japanese people who torture her, lacking any motive whatsoever, and then unwillingly allow her to escape to a city, where a bunch of stuff happens. Some gory stuff. Also, there's a guy, his clingy cousin, and a homeless girl who runs around with a cute puppy.
This is the finest, greatest whatever-the-hell-this-is ever, and packed into the small timeframe of 11 episodes long, sealed with a kiss wearing Coral Blue #2 semi-gloss lipstick. That's 11 episodes that begin with a parody slideshow of that one painting, the Kiss, except with a performer of the Blue Man Group and the main character, Lucy, while a Latin-Greek hymn plays, because after this one, you're gonna need some Jesus. Not even Yuno Gasai herself could top the amount of gore in this anime. There's some nudity too (episode 1, I'm looking at you) But the thing is, the characters are fantastic and it's just overall a beautiful anime in the big scheme of things. It was hard to say that without spoiling anything. You should watch it if you're into this sort of thing, or if you want to watch it and go "Wilo, what in the fucking fuck" every 15 seconds.

Genres: Action, Drama, Ecchi, Horror, Romance, Psychological

Redline - Redline is about the biggest and most deadly racing tournament in the universe. Only held once every five years, everyone wants to stake their claim to fame, including JP, a reckless dare-devil driver oblivious to speed limits with his ultra-customized car—all the while, organized crime and militaristic governments want to leverage the race to their own ends. Amongst the other elite rival drivers in the tournament, JP falls for the alluring Sonoshee—but will she prove his undoing, or can a high speed romance survive a mass destruction race?
Genres: Action, Cars, Sci-Fi, Sports
Kirby: Right Back At Ya! - A diminuitive pink creature orbiting in space called "Kirby" crash lands into Dream Land. Once getting acquainted with the citizens who live there in Cappy Town, he begins to defend the town from the monsters that King Dedede, the self-proclaimed ruler of Cappy Town, orders from the evil Nightmare Enterprises.
Review by FuriousHedgehog - I liked this anime as kirby saves Cappys, the secrets of him, and fun stuff, although some incoherent things to the anime and the game, but that should not comment much but the stupid censorship and changing soundtrack for part of 4Kids, scene changes, cuts and dialogues which changed not maintained the effect of a good kirby anime, so rather watch the subtitled of the Japanese version see the 4kids version.
This was my opinion.

Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Parody

Samurai Champloo - Mugen's a buck wild warrior—violent, thoughtless and womanizing. Jin is a vagrant ronin—mysterious, traditional, well-mannered, and very strong as well. These two fiercely independent warriors can't be any more different from one another, yet their paths cross when Fuu, a ditzy waitress, saves them from being executed when they are arrested after a violent swordfight. Fuu convinces the two vagrant young men to help her find a mysterious samurai "who smells of sunflowers." And their journey begins. This is a story about love, friendship, and courage... NOT!
Review by RottedPaint - Now, now, samurais n' swords, sounds usual? Yes. What made it stand up for me it's a factor present on most of Watanabe's works, the mixing of different genres.
''Samurai Champloo is set in an alternate version of Edo-era Japan with an anachronistic, predominantly hip-hop, setting.''
That combination doesn't sound right at all. I'm not the biggest fan of samurais, not even close to liking hip-hop, but I still can see it's well made and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, I actually find myself listening to the soundtrack in cases of boredom. The characters aren't generic neither.
Has some comedic moments that don't feel forced and badly executed, plot is pretty good, fighting scenes oh baby. And of course, Fuu <3

Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Historical, Samurai, Shounen
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (2012) - Beginning its tale in 19th century England, young aristocrat Jonathan Joestar finds himself locked in bitter rivalry with Dio Brando, a low-born boy who Jonathan's father took under his wing after the death of Dio's father. Discontent with his station in life, Dio's fathomless lust to reign over all eventually leads him to seek the supernatural powers of an ancient Aztec stone mask in the Joestar's possession—an artifact that will forever change the destiny of Dio and Jonathan for generations to come. Fifty years later, in 1938 New York City, Jonathan's grandson Joseph Joestar must take up his grandfather's mission and master the abilities necessary to destroy the stone mask and its immensely powerful creators who threaten humanity's very existence, the Pillar Men.
Review by copy - In my opinion one of the best series manga&anime series thingies out there. Overflowing with fabulous manliness and the bizzariest battle this side of Stairway to Heaven. Jojo is seperated by Parts, 8 in total. Each part is another descendant of the Joestar bloodline and each one stands on its own, varying greatly story-wise while staying true to the bizzare adventure.
Genres: Action, Adventure, Shounen, Supernatural
Last edited by Flutter Skye on 31 Mar 2015, 20:44, edited 25 times in total.

B-Man99

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 00:26

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate More on Steins;Gate. Might want to edit the main post to link to myanimelist. It's a great website. I found it super helpful.
Also sorry I don't really have anything written out at the time, but Death note is great too (SG is definitely my fave though, I'm a sucker for time travel :P).

Vakema123

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 00:48

I'm gonna write up a bunch of stuff tonight, then I'll post it here.

Wilo

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 00:52

I GIVE MY FULL RECOMMENDATION TO STEINS;GATE.

Thanks for this thread Skye! It was desperately needed.

In addition to the already mentioned Steins;Gate, I would like to recommend FLCL. If you haven't watched FLCL, you haven't lived life.
FLCL is what keeps me going. It is my life force, my sustenance, my ambition, and my plans.

Here is the horrible english dubbed trailer for toonami don't want it if you don't want to be spoiled-ish.
I give my life to recommend this anime. If you don't watch this you will never be complete.
As for what it's about, it's about FLCL. FULL RECOMMENDATION

Also, Mirai Nikki ("Future Diary" in English) , although it's much darker. And by darker, I mean a thousand times darker than what FUNimation or the English things make it to be. It's about Yukiteru Amano, a young boy, who's forced into a death game with 11 other people, uncluding and not limited to Yuno Gasai, the infamous yandere queen, a 9, and a deranged blind Power Ranger. The thing is .. there's a twist. A twisty twist of twistiness that can only be twisted by twistiness.
ANOTHER FULL RECOMMENDATION .. if you like something darker.

I'm too tired to think of anything else. As for what I like, I usually like the most bizarre things ever and the darkest things ever.
Last edited by Wilo on 02 Mar 2015, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

B-Man99

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 00:54

I'm probably going to marathon Mirai Nikki sometime in the next few weeks but while we're on that topic I think several of us remember when I watched THIS ENTIRE VIDEO:

as someone had dared me to -_-

Vakema123

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 03:59

Warning, big-ass post of reviews and recommendations below.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2011)

Basic synopsis:
Edward and Alphonse Elric, after their father left years ago, lose their mother. Using alchemy, an ability used throughout their world to transmute things into other things, attempt to revive their mother, betraying one of the cardinal rules of alchemy. Their attempt goes horribly wrong, and in the aftermath, Edward loses a leg, and Alphonse loses his entire body. In an attempt to bring him back, Edward sacrifices his arm, and binds Alphonse's soul to a suit of armor. The two then set off on a journey to find the mythical philosophers stone, so they can use its power to gain their bodies back.

My review:
My second favorite anime of all time, and one of the most beloved anime ever.
The story is simply superb. It develops perfectly, at a perfect pace. The animation is amazing, it's done by BONES, who is fantastic. The characters are almost universally loved, even (Especially)  the one that basically just dies.  The show never stops being entertaining, throughout all 64 episodes, you will be in love with it. If it bothers you, there is no fan service in it. Lot of humor though! I would watch the Funimation dub for this, it was really good.
I'd rate it a 96/100.

Funimation put up some of the episodes on their Youtube, so here's the first one.

Tags: Adventure, Action, Drama, Intrigue

Fullmetal Alchemist (2004)

Basic synopsis:
The beginning is pretty much exactly the same as Brotherhood, but at about a third through the show, it goes into a completely different story from the manga. (Which Brotherhood follows strictly.)

My review:
It's not a perfect show, but it's worth a watch. The story stops being very fluent at around the same time it splits off from the manga (which is around  laboratory 5, if I remember correctly. ) It gets more rushed and cluttered as it goes on, until the end, where nothing really makes too much sense. I respect that they wanted to do something different from the original story, but even without knowing the original story beforehand, I couldn't understand why they made some of the choices they made. The animation is the same studio as Brotherhood, BONES, and it is fantastic, like brotherhood. The characters are pretty much just as good as in Brotherhood, except a few. ( Mainly Hoenheim. ) The show is 51 episodes long, and it's pretty much a hit or miss on whether or not you'll get into it enough to finish it. I watched the dub for this one, and I've never seen the sub, so I can't comment on it too much. I think the VA for this and Brotherhood are the same though, so, if that's true, I would pick the dub.
I'd rate it an 80/100.

Same deal as with Brotherhood, Funimation has some of it on Youtube.

Tags: Adventure, Action, Drama, Intrigue

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Basic synopsis:
Years ago, humanity was driven into underground villages by beastmen, under control of Lord Genome. In these villages, people would dig through the ground in order to increase the size of the village. One of these diggers, Simon, finds something while digging, It's a small robot in the shape of a face. That same night, a giant machine breaks through the ceiling of the village, bringing its fight with a strange, bikini clad sniper with it. However, she cannot defeat it, and Simon, Kamina, and Yoko, the sniper, have to team up and use the machine Simon found (titled Lagann by Kamina) to defeat it. After the fight, they are sent flying up to the surface, the domain of Lord Genome.

My Review:
Gurren Lagann is a spectacular piece of television, one of the best I've ever seen.
The story is spectacular, and no matter what hurdle it throws at you, the show only ever becomes better off for it. The only issue is that it suffers from an extreme case of serial escalation. And when I say problem, I mean it's one of the best things ever. The show is made by Gainax, (The studio behind Evangelion, FLCL, and in a way, Kill La Kill.) and is probably the best animated out of anything I've seen. The characters are all fantastic, with one exception. ( The armadillo general, Guame. ) The show is 27 episodes long, and I'm impressed with your willpower if you can stop once you get into it. I personally watched it in 2 days, stopping only when I had to. This is another show I watched the dub for, which I normally don't do anymore. The dub is fantastic though, so it wasn't really a problem.
I'd rate it a 95/100

This is the trailer for the blu-ray box set Aniplex released 2 or so years ago. It's not perfect, but it gets the point across.

Tags: Mecha, Action, Drama

This isn't all, I just need to stop for now. I'll update this post later with more as I make them.
That was at least 3 hours, and I only got 3 done! Hopefully I did them well at least.

B-Man99

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 04:19

That was really honestly amazing for an ass-post.
subs not dubs
Thank you for putting all that time in. I'm pretty damn impressed, and I look forward to reading more!

Wilo

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 04:23

boku no pico

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 16:36

Avatar: The Last Airbender is something special. As far as I'm concerned, one of the best series (not just animated, all of them) I have ever watched.

Same with Legend of Korra - same universe, though sort of different - but some fans of Avatar did not like it as much so I don't know. I did.

Those aren't legally anime but they're close enough to point them out.

RottedPaint

Post » 02 Mar 2015, 20:33

I'm lazy and my reviews tend to be literally ''good, not good'', but I'll try and write a word or two.
Soul Eater

Plot:
At the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, this series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and their human weapon: Maka and her scythe Soul, Black Star with Tsubaki the magical weapon, and Death the Kid with his twin pistols Patty and Liz. Here, masters aim to make their partner a “Death Scythe” which is the highest title for a weapon and thus fit for use by Death himself, by collecting the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch. The three partnerships quickly form a bond with one another and become stronger to protect Death City by hunting powerful evil creatures, and in some cases, even demons…

Now, what can I say about this one other than it's my favorite non-OVA series ever. It's pretty good, action/comedy, love the characters. But I swear to god, if you want to watch it, do not watch the ending. It's really anti-climactic. Read the manga ending or something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kill la Kill

Plot:
Ryuuko Matoi carries a large weapon shaped like half of a pair of scissors. She’s looking for the woman with the other half, who killed her father. Satsuki Kiryuuin, student council president of Honnouji Academy, is said to know the woman’s identity, so Ryuuko transfers there.

This one is a really unique one, liked it a lot. If you can get behind all the fanservice, you'll find a crazy action anime that punches your guts and then kisses you. Various times. Mako is life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary

Plot:
The dark fantasy follows a high school sophomore named Akihito Kanbara. Although the boy appears human, he is half youmu and invulnerable to wounds because he can heal quickly. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it seems she is about to jump from the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is unique even among members of the spirit world. Disturbing events begin to unfold after Akihito saves Mirai.

Sounds epic? Meh. Not much action here, not for me at least. I quite like it enough to recommend it. Mirai is adorable, supernatural stuff is cool. Stab stab blood blood.

Nichijou/My Ordinary Life

Plot:
While the title suggests a story of simple, everyday school life, the contents are more the opposite. The setting is a strange school where you may see the principal wrestle a deer or a robot’s arm hide a rollcake. However there are still normal stories, like making a card castle or taking a test you didn’t study for.

Only slice of life I've ever been fond of. Nothing much here, just randomness being thrown around. Animation style catches my eyes. Yeh.

Cowboy Bebop

Plot:
Enter a world in the distant future, where Bounty Hunters roam the solar system. Spike and Jet, bounty hunting partners, set out on journeys in an ever struggling effort to win bounty rewards to survive.
While traveling, they meet up with other very interesting people. Could Faye, the beautiful and ridiculously poor gambler, Edward, the computer genius, and Ein, the engineered dog be a good addition to the group?

This one is a classic, deserves every single piece of attention it gets. None more, none less. Rad Ed is my spirit animal. ''See you, space cowboy'' is the best thing a human being can say.
Those are the ones for now, I'm still a starter on ''chinese cartoons'' world. Will probably post more when I delve deeper into this.
As for FLCL, here's the fighting song with random clips i.e. Haruko dancing with a fat cat.

MM102

Post » 03 Mar 2015, 12:10

Dennou Coil, Nichijou, and Patema Inverted
honestly are the only things that look remotely interesting to me anime wise.

Everything else seems too serious/dark and gritty
so if you could find some more like this k thanks

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 03 Mar 2015, 16:34

I sort of prefer more 'slice of life' style things. They're like Angela Anaconda if it was good.
B Gata H Kei: Yamadas First Time:
Girl called Yamada wants to loose her virginity. This is a good base for the actual story in which her and a photography geek fall in love. It's genuinely kinda moving in places and has the classic anime 'thought cutaways' that dragon ball and the like have meaning a pretty nice insight for all the characters.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt:
Criticized by most as being 'too western' PSG houses two angel sisters who have to defeat evil ghosts to get coins and get back into heaven. Rumoured to be created after seeing South Park there are several references to western culture as well as a lot of smut. Techno soundtrack, bright colours, sex jokes, violence.

WataMote: No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!:
Like Yamada in some ways this is a story of a young girl who is discovering the world of relationships and sex. She is an extremely shy girl and her misunderstandings and eagerness to grow up are what make the comedy. Once again brilliant but if you're not alright with these themes definitely stay away.
EDIT: just realised I wasn't the first to do Nichijou. RottedPaint's is sorta better. Here's my review anyway if people wanted it:
Nichijou - My Ordinary Life:
A slice of life of a school girl. There's actually 3 shows in this. There's a show where the girl is in school, a show where there's a girl with a robotic mum she built and a weird show called helvetica standard. It's a pretty good show. Been about a year since I've seen it so can't remember it all. Very nice.

RottedPaint

Post » 05 Mar 2015, 04:17

Might as well leave this one here, someone may want to watch it

Found this one randomly, maybe.
Slice of life, comedy, quite adorable. Doesn't quite satisfy my needs right now, but check it out if you're into that. Neato magneto.

MyAnimeList Synopsis:

Kill Me Baby is the touching story of Yasuna, a normal (?) high school girl, and Sonya, her best friend who happens to be an assassin. Unfortunately, little Sonya's trained assassin instincts often work against her and others in her daily high school life, as Yasuna's often-broken wrist can attest to. She just wanted a hug, but she ended up with a broken neck. Isn't it sad? No, it's hilarious.
Not even Yasuna's intense ninja training can prepare her for the exciting adventures in this explosive 4-panel manga adaptation.

Defiant Shout

Post » 05 Mar 2015, 07:09

I guess I can shitpost here since I'm not completely mainstream. :T
Relatively different from the sort of animes I have watched, especially in regards to animation style. It has much less exaggerated emotion, and has slightly more mature comedy (It's not always blue collar in layman's terms). Very nice plot so far (sorry, I'm not even finished yet, but it has ended). Overall very entertaining to me.

Here's a gist of the plot:
Tatsuya Shiba and his sister Miyuki enroll in a high school for those who have harnessed 'magic' and are relatively talented with it. Tatsuya is separated from his sister in their levels of mastery (sort of like mathematics levels in real life, but there are only two you get for four years) and practical application of magic. Tatsuya secretly  works for the military, and is a co-owner of a very large and ingenious company. He is highly trained and quite brilliant when it comes to combat. . His sister believes that he should not be in the lower class due to his actual skills in the field, but he is modest and set firm in keeping his identities secret. (This is as backstory as I'll go before I spoil it all)
I rate it at a good
And sorry, I'm garbage at this whole review thing.

Flutter Skye

Post » 06 Mar 2015, 01:07

Image

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - Yuuta Togashi suffered from chuunibyou while he was in middle school. When he graduated, he put that dark history behind him and forgot about it... or he was supposed to. High school was smooth sailing and full of enjoyment—until the unavoidable, sad event occurs. The event that locks Yuuta into a contract with Rikka Takanashi and disrupts his desperately ordinary life.
My review: - The Anime combines Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama and romance into one thing. Yutta tries to forget the past him from Junior High School, but after he meets Rikka, the girl which has chuunibyou, his life completely changes. It's kinda hard for me to explain why I like it, since it's 12 Episodes long and each episode has a lot of stuff in it. Various characters here see the world differently than it is in reality. they see it as a fantasy world(?). Uhm... It made me cry a lot of times. So I'm just gonna say that if you like Romance or Slice of Life, definitely watch it.
10/10

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, School, Slice of Life

K-ON! - Hirasawa Yui, a young, carefree girl entering high school, has her imagination instantly captured when she sees a poster advertising the "Light Music Club." Being the carefree girl that she is, she quickly signs up; however, Yui has a problem, she is unable to play an instrument.
My review: - The anime shows how someone's goals can get true by their friendship. The episodes are Kawaii, random and funny. There is a few sad moments as well, especially the ending of the second season. I recommend it 100%.
Genres: Comedy, Music, School, Slice of Life

Kiniro Mosaic - The story begins with Oomiya Shinobu, a 15-year-old, seemingly pure Japanese girl who actually did a homestay in Great Britain. Even after coming back to Japan, she still misses her time overseas. One day, an airmail letter arrives from Alice, the girl in Shinobu's host family in Great Britain. The letter reads: Shinobu, I'm coming to Japan! The Japanese/British girls' mixed comedy follows the lives of Shinobu, Alice, and other girls from both Japan and Great Britain.
My review: - Desu This is definitely the most funnyanime I watched so far. The episodes are just the girls' days, showing what funny thing they're doing. It's hard to explain this Anime, you just HAVE to watch it!

Wilo

Post » 06 Mar 2015, 01:47

Elfen Lied

My rating: 8.897/10

Have you ever seen the recent movie Lucy? That is a blatant rip off of this, only watered down and unfunned for Western audiences. My reasoning for this is that they a generally based upon the same thing: A young woman, with pink hair, from a newly emerging species of human, with horns on her head and invisible arms (an old hag with decaying flesh that you can observe falling off in the movie Lucy) is captured by sciencey Japanese people who torture her, lacking any motive whatsoever, and then unwillingly allow her to escape to a city, where a bunch of stuff happens. Some gory stuff. Also, there's a guy, his clingy cousin, and a homeless girl who runs around with a cute puppy.

This is the finest, greatest whatever-the-hell-this-is ever, and packed into the small timeframe of 11 episodes long, sealed with a kiss wearing Coral Blue #2 semi-gloss lipstick. That's 11 episodes that begin with a parody slideshow of that one painting, the Kiss, except with a performer of the Blue Man Group and the main character, Lucy, while a Latin-Greek hymn plays, because after this one, you're gonna need some Jesus. Not even Yuno Gasai herself could top the amount of gore in this anime. There's some nudity too (episode 1, I'm looking at you) But the thing is, the characters are fantastic and it's just overall a beautiful anime in the big scheme of things. It was hard to say that without spoiling anything. You should watch it if you're into this sort of thing, or if you want to watch it and go "Wilo, what in the fucking fuck" every 15 seconds.

B-Man99

Post » 07 Mar 2015, 21:08

Flutter Skye wrote:Yuki Yuki Yuki
-_-
Fix it
The url is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_fgwbmJg0 this
Your link should be Yuki Yuki Yuki this

Wilo

Post » 07 Mar 2015, 23:20

Higurashi no naku Koro ni and Higurashi no naku Koro ni kai
10/10. Horror/Comedy/Slice of Slice/Mystery.

Keiichi Maebara moves into Hinamizawa in 1983.
Everything seems normal, and then shit hits the fan.
Quite often. Can't spoil anything else, watch it if you dare.

This anime is where innocence goes to die

B-Man99

Post » 08 Mar 2015, 18:59

Flutter Skye wrote:Yuki Yuki Yuki
I'm not participating in this thread until you quit it with the Yuno=FNAF joke

I've got a few reviews I want to write but in the meantime you still haven't organized the main post. I don't know what you plan on doing with it but having huge text reviews for everything without spoilers while half the reviews people have posted are just randomly not on there is not going to work.

Wilo

Post » 08 Mar 2015, 21:26

THE
BMAn wins this award for in reviewing multiple animes, not to mention he made a post on this thread

Flutter Skye

Post » 08 Mar 2015, 21:59

Updated the thread with the new reviews, and added the Yuki Yuki Yuki video.

Flutter Skye

Post » 13 Mar 2015, 23:59

Did you watch everything Chuunibyou related yet?
This should make you do it

Someone could die from the cuteness of this, death.

Jorichi

Post » 14 Mar 2015, 00:31

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Probably the most fun to watch for me of all animes.
Elfen Lied: Loved it. Should watch it again some time.
Miyazak's award winning anime movie Spirited Away is a must see for any anime fan as well. Let me repeat this; It's a must-see.

Also, I never watch anime dubbed, only subbed. Original work is always so much better.
No matter how good the dubbed voices are, they can never do it justice.
Just my opinion ofcourse.

And here is an anime movie I should have watched a bajilion years ago.
Redline

Redline is about the biggest and most deadly racing tournament in the universe. Only held once every five years, everyone wants to stake their claim to fame, including JP, a reckless dare-devil driver oblivious to speed limits with his ultra-customized car—all the while, organized crime and militaristic governments want to leverage the race to their own ends. Amongst the other elite rival drivers in the tournament, JP falls for the alluring Sonoshee—but will she prove his undoing, or can a high speed romance survive a mass destruction race?

This has been recommended to me so damn hard I'm still suffering from whiplash.

B-Man99

Post » 14 Mar 2015, 18:08

Sometimes my dreams are anime

FuriousTH

Post » 14 Mar 2015, 19:07

Well, this sounded stupid but Kirby, yes, Kirby had its own anime. Hoshi No KaabiiImage In America, known as Kirby Right Back At Ya! 4Kids... This anime is mostly starring by Kirby (not necessarily), is that he is sailing through space in which Kirby is not complete, him is in process (as a baby), received from his Star Ship alert for a demon near where he was traveling, a demon who ordered Dedede of Holy Nightmare Enterprises in Pupupuland and therefore Kirby remains to live there and save the cappy citizens of the demons to come by Dedede, Meta Knight sometimes knows more about Kirby and also helps, those who usually accompany it are Fumu, Bun, Lololo and Lalala.

My Rating of this: 09/10

I liked this anime as kirby saves Cappys, the secrets of him, and fun stuff, although some incoherent things to the anime and the game, but that should not comment much but the stupid censorship and changing soundtrack for part of 4Kids, scene changes, cuts and dialogues which changed not maintained the effect of a good kirby anime, so rather watch the subtitled of the Japanese version see the 4kids version.
This was my opinion.

The First episode:

B-Man99

Post » 14 Mar 2015, 21:03

Vakema123

Post » 15 Mar 2015, 04:44

Oh my god I never got back to my reviews. Not even One Piece.

ONE PIECE IS THE BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN

RottedPaint

Post » 15 Mar 2015, 08:42

Hey, jerk Samurai Champloo Image MyAnimeList Synopsis:
Mugen's a buck wild warrior—violent, thoughtless and womanizing. Jin is a vagrant ronin—mysterious, traditional, well-mannered, and very strong as well. These two fiercely independent warriors can't be any more different from one another, yet their paths cross when Fuu, a ditzy waitress, saves them from being executed when they are arrested after a violent swordfight. Fuu convinces the two vagrant young men to help her find a mysterious samurai "who smells of sunflowers." And their journey begins. This is a story about love, friendship, and courage... NOT!

This one was led by the same man who directed Cowboy Bebop, Shinichirō Watanabe.

Now, now, samurais n' swords, sounds usual? Yes. What made it stand up for me it's a factor present on most of Watanabe's works, the mixing of different genres.
''Samurai Champloo is set in an alternate version of Edo-era Japan with an anachronistic, predominantly hip-hop, setting.''
That combination doesn't sound right at all. I'm not the biggest fan of samurais, not even close to liking hip-hop, but I still can see it's well made and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, I actually find myself listening to the soundtrack in cases of boredom. The characters aren't generic neither.
Has some comedic moments that don't feel forced and badly executed, plot is pretty good, fighting scenes oh baby. And of course, Fuu <3

copy

Post » 15 Mar 2015, 15:45

I'm not good at this whole review thing dont judge me. Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (2012) Image MyAnimeList Synopsis:
Beginning its tale in 19th century England, young aristocrat Jonathan Joestar finds himself locked in bitter rivalry with Dio Brando, a low-born boy who Jonathan's father took under his wing after the death of Dio's father. Discontent with his station in life, Dio's fathomless lust to reign over all eventually leads him to seek the supernatural powers of an ancient Aztec stone mask in the Joestar's possession—an artifact that will forever change the destiny of Dio and Jonathan for generations to come. Fifty years later, in 1938 New York City, Jonathan's grandson Joseph Joestar must take up his grandfather's mission and master the abilities necessary to destroy the stone mask and its immensely powerful creators who threaten humanity's very existence, the Pillar Men.

In my opinion one of the best series manga&anime series thingies out there. Overflowing with fabulous manliness and the bizzariest battle this side of Stairway to Heaven.

Jojo is seperated by Parts, 8 in total. Each part is another descendant of the Joestar bloodline and each one stands on its own, varying greatly story-wise while staying true to the bizzare adventure.

It's not for everyone, so watch the first two episodes before you judge me harshly.

If someone can make a better review, please do! This one is kind of shit. Just a little bit though.

rokit

Post » 31 Mar 2015, 02:17

eh

MM102

Post » 31 Mar 2015, 02:57

thanks for your needed and insightful opinion rokit

Vakema123

Post » 31 Mar 2015, 13:28

I also would recommmend JoJo, it's great. Also I started Hunter x Hunter recently, and it's fantastic.

Flutter Skye

Post » 31 Mar 2015, 20:40

Updated the thread, took me so long because all the tags randomly stopped working. If you find any problems, tell me.
rokit wrote:eh

Lawnboy

Post » 09 Apr 2015, 03:55

Vakema123 wrote:I also would recommmend JoJo, it's great. Also I started Hunter x Hunter recently, and it's fantastic.
manga's way better than the anime, though the anime does a good job of recreating a lot of jojo manga stuff. I used to be really into anime, but super moe stuff usually, but when school started coming around again I kind of stopped. I recently got over myself and started watching dragon ball and I must say that it is really better than I thought it'd be, considering how bad the dragon ball z fan base can be.

Flutter Skye

Post » 14 Apr 2015, 14:09

B-Man99

Post » 14 Apr 2015, 20:51

I never knew I needed a K-ON glitch hop AMV
But oh man did I need it

RottedPaint

Post » 01 May 2015, 02:46

A moment of your day to enjoy the best AMV

kbye

Squidish

Post » 17 Aug 2015, 00:37

Oh there's a lotta good anime out there i enjoy
HE-MAN
He's a clumsy prince with a power to turn himself into he-man, a warrior
I like it because he has long hair

SUPER MARIO BROS. SUPER SHOW
It's about how mario and luigi got to the mushroom kingdom. It's more accurate than the games and has a great intro.

Defiant Shout

Post » 17 Aug 2015, 21:36

It'd be funny if no one took this seriously. But that was relatively uncalled for.

Say what you will about anime being short for animation, but you know what we mean when we say it.

Flutter Skye

Post » 17 Aug 2015, 23:50

Why

Squidish

Post » 18 Aug 2015, 03:01

Defiant Shout wrote:It'd be funny if no one took this seriously. But that was relatively uncalled for.

Say what you will about anime being short for animation, but you know what we mean when we say it.
It is funny that you took what i said seriously

Defiant Shout

Post » 18 Aug 2015, 05:42

It's funny that I gave a reason for anyone else trying to be funny with shitty humor to just stfu then?

B-Man99

Post » 18 Aug 2015, 10:04

Defiant Shout wrote:shitty humor
nice

Defiant Shout

Post » 19 Aug 2015, 01:17

I now reside on steam chat and steam chat alone. I'm just done. Ask Saso, Maurice or someone else to remove this account. I'm just done.

B-Man99

Post » 19 Aug 2015, 01:38

You would love OreImo

thunderfapper

Post » 20 Aug 2015, 09:06

(I'm really surprised nobody has recommended this yet) Cowboy Bebop Image Plot Synopsis from Crunchyroll: The year 2071 A.D. That future is now. Driven out of their terrestrial eden, humanity chose the stars as the final frontier. With the section-by-section collapse of the former nations a mixed jumble of races and peoples came. They spread to the stars, taking with them the now confused concepts of freedom, violence, illegality and love, where new rules and a new generation of outlaws came into being. People referred to them as Cowboys.

Meet Spike and Jet, a drifter and a retired cyborg cop who have started a bounty hunting operation. In the converted ship The Bebop, Spike and Jet search the galaxy for criminals with bounties on their heads. They meet a lot of unusual characters, including the unusually intelligent dog, Ein, and the voluptuous and vexing femme fatale, Faye Valentine.

My Review: I freaking love this show, and I've watched it multiple times. Cowboy Bebop is masterfully crafted. The animation is just as breathtaking as it is inspiring. You find yourself as part of the crew, needing to watch episode after episode. You'll start loving the characters more and more and towards the end of the show  I'm 90% sure you'll be in tears . Needless to say, Cowboy Bebop is the pinnacle of animation and storytelling.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 20 Aug 2015, 15:58

Here's a complete opposite of recommendation: School days

Looked kinda fun and light hearted at the start so I started watching it but it took way too long to realize just what an absolutely  abhorrent person almost everyone involved is . It starts like "oh haha this boy likes a girl but ooh no he likes that other girl now! haha"  and it takes a while until you realize what a cheating manipulative son of a bitch he is.  But hey, when it's all over,  the guy gets murdered and has his head cut off by his psychotic second girlfriend who also murders the guy's first horribly gullible girlfriend who has had basically beyond a mental breakdown and was supposedly pregnant but it turns out she wasn't and we find that out because the psychotic gf cut up gullible gf's uterus and checked. Oh and then she went with the guy's very dead and disembodied head on a boat vacation. 

For something actually enjoyable, check School Rumble.

And Cowboy Bebop as recommended above, in my mind it's basically the Blade Runner of anime.

thunderfapper

Post » 25 Aug 2015, 02:22

Summary from Wikipedia:Police detective Ryu Suzaku is the main protagonist. He suffers a near-fatal car accident while in pursuit of an escaped criminal named Zoda. Ryu nearly dies, but is revived in the year 2201 by Mobile Task Force members Jody Summer and Dr. Stewart. The Task Force tries to keep prize money out of the hands of unsavory people like the Dark Million Organization run by Black Shadow and Deathborn. That organization is responsible for cryogenically evolving Ryu's old enemy Zoda. Now Ryu joins the Task Force to help take down Zoda and the rest of Dark Million. While pursuing his objectives, Ryu will unexpectedly meet up with the legendary racer and bounty hunter named Captain Falcon and several other various racers along the way.
My Review: I've always liked F-Zero, but I never really played it (To be entirely honest, I only liked it because of Captain Falcon.) The show starts out incredibly run of the mill and extremely predictable but if you stick with it you're in for a really good time. The race and action scenes are pretty darn good for being 11 years old and the more you watch the more you want to see more of it. Even if you aren't a fan of the games I would definitely give this one a shot.  Plus, If you make it to the end, you get to watch Captain Falcon falcon punch Black Shadow into non-existance 
Plus, at the beginning of every episode, Captain Falcon lets you know to "Keep the room well lit while watching F-Zero." and to "Keep your distance from the TV!"

You can watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4kOLF ... F6CF0C799D

SasukeVip

Post » 04 Sep 2015, 12:04

Here's an anime that I'm planning to watch in the future.

氷菓(Hyōka)
- At the request of his older sister, student Hōtarō Oreki joins Kamiyama High School's Classic Literature Club to stop it from being abolished, joined by fellow members Eru Chitanda, Satoshi Fukube and Mayaka Ibara. The story is set in Kamiyama City, a fictional city in Gifu Prefecture that the author based on his real hometown of Takayama, also in Gifu. The fictional Kamiyama High School is based upon the real life Hida High School.

This was originally a mystery novel, but it became an anime in April 2012. It has 22 episodes plus another episode which is only available for people who purchased the DVD. This anime is really popular over the Japanese internet, mainly because Eru Chitanda looks so "Kawaii"
Her catchphrase is "I'm curious!" and whenever a mystery is brought to her, she won't be able to stop thinking about it until it is solved.

No review because I haven't seen the anime yet.